Admit it Sup Forums, this was pure fucking kino

Admit it Sup Forums, this was pure fucking kino

Attached: 267.png (1280x718, 756K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZQkj7RpCGNU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Every single thing about the first three episodes was

Attached: jack kills his sister-in-law.jpg (1366x768, 117K)

Attached: tumblr_onen0rREVc1v4j5emo4_500.gif (447x251, 790K)

It's a damn shame that the season had a noticable drop in quality after episode 3
Like, I still think Season 5 was good, but after episode 5, the second half just couldn't hold a candle to the first, especially the first 3.

Until Ashi was kept alive

Those 1st 3 eps hyped you to much

you should riot the board bcause a tv channel did something you dont like which has shit all to do with Sup Forums for old times sake

You mean when it went back to being like the previous season episodes?

It was fucking great, at first.
Then for whatever reason Genndy decided to completely drop the initial tone of the return series and have a romantic comedy leading to a blatant Gurren Lagann ripoff ending.

Unironically this.

Man the shift in focus from episode 3 to 4 was kinda jarring honestly. A lot of the buildup from Episode 3 just never had any pay off after that.

He was always gonna to have that in the show. The only reason why it felt rush is because he had only one more season to tell the story.

Episodes 1-3 were among the best in the series. They captured everything that makes Samurai Jack a great show, but added a more violent edge without feeling forced. After that, the season downspirals hard. I honestly prefer the comic ending.

Waifu-faggotry ruined it, plus instead of going all the way to the end with Jack as being someone who's developed over time into that new motorcycle riding disheveled combat pragmatist he did the much more boring thing and had Jack literally just transform magically back into his old self.

>The decisions you make, and the actions that follow, are a reflection of who you are. you cannot hide from yourself.

This was one of the more inspiring parts of the season. It really did cement how cool Jack's father was.

That's BS.
The Farting Dragon >>> every season 5 episode from 4 to 9. (And 10 is only excepted because it finally wraps up Jack's story, giving its otherwise similarly poor writing much more weight.)

But episode 4 is pretty much the farting dragon's plot but with less juvenile jokes.

>but with less funny jokes
FTFY... though I don't really agree anyways.

I like how the wolf got pissed at jack for wetting him

This scene was cool and I get that it was a mirror scene, but what was the point of it?

In the dark of the cave, Jack and the Wolf were one and the same, blood covered warriors fighting against a corrupted world. It leads to a small kinship and the wolf helping Jack recover from his injury.

The first three episodes were perfect. I would've liked the rest of the series if the first three hadn't set the bar so fucking high.

I wish they had at least had Ashi fade out of existence Madoka-style, a selfless sacrifice for the greater good instead of just disappearing to make Jack sad at the last minute.

I thought episode 4 was going to be the plot equivalent of Scaramouche, something that would fit in the old show if they took the s5 edge off it.

Attached: 1520832077195.png (1200x1200, 500K)

I don't get why they made it so delayed. They killed aku celebrated and set up a wedding before it happened. It's almost like it wouldn't have happened if Ashi herself didn't bring it up.

I respect their dedication to keeping up the show's tradition of stripping Jack, but I wish he'd had an extra set of armor stashed somewhere that he could pick up after Ashi joined him so we could have had him looking that cool for another few episodes.

Attached: 1491711867051.jpg (1280x1453, 235K)

Maybe she could've started unconsciously unraveling herself the second it seemed like everything was over because she didn't expect to live that long, let alone know happiness, and assumed it was Aku's powers leaving her because he was dead. A solid reason for her not to be able to have a happy life would've been all it took to make her go entirely by the time of the wedding.

Attached: 1495397352750.jpg (1280x841, 208K)

>MY AKU POWERS
WHAT THE FUCK

When the first episode dropped I got so hyped because I thought we'd be getting a whole bunch of new bounty hunters as cool as Scaramouche. Then the rest of the season happened.

Why wasn't pic pic related a bigger deal in SJ? There's giant THINGS living deep underground that can emerge one day and swallow entire cities before vanishing again.

Attached: Behemoth.png (808x445, 367K)

It's honestly so jarring to see the writing become so blatantly horrible like killing off the Scotsman for no reason (popular theory was he would deal with the samurai ghost stalking Jack) or Jack murdering most of Ashi's sisters and for no reason deciding to spare Ashi and just converting her and explain the truth to her even though the only thing Ashi shows is repeat attempts to wish him dead, sabotage anything he does, and just plain old trying to kill him nonstop. Someone like that doesn't deserve to be spared especially when your protagonist already mass murdered her evil sisters who also had the same personality.

Goddamn Genndy, get raped by Sandler during each Hotel Transylvania movie. Genndy is tragically a woman worshiping loser.

Forgot to mention, Jack's sword randomly having a will of it's own was bullshit. Especially since the scene was animated like Jack dropped the sword accidentally himself. Not that the sword rejected him and left him. And frankly if this sacred weapon of the gods had a will, how come it NEVER showed a consciousness before? Especially when AKU used the damn weapon in one of the season 1-4 episodes. Damn you Genndy. This is just bad.

Art style still sucks, didn't watch.

Attached: 1492340974290.gif (320x240, 1.83M)

that fight with all the girls in the snow was so fucking great, every bit the equal of the best anime action scenes

shame the show really fell apart after that though (although ep4 wasn't bad) just imagine he dies in the fall at the end of ep3, and the rest didn't happen

>kino
Kill yourself.

Have we ever got word on what exactly happened after the first 3 episodes? It want from a relative 10/10 to a 5/10 and just remained at that level, was every single ounce of inspiration for the cinematography, composition, choreography and world design just used up leaving us with phoned in garbage? It's just so bizarre, I've never seen a quality drop like this just happen after seeming like it'll be consistently good and then just never even remotely reach the heights it previously had. I wouldn't even say it was outright bad, but it was just resoundingly mediocre and garbage in comparison with the first 3 episodes.

Were the first 3 episodes originally made as a TV movie with the rest of the season being made later after everyone stopped caring? I can't believe that Genndy was happy with how those first 3 episodes turned out and then was also happy with the rest of the season, which was just so uninspired, predicatable and generic that it felt more like a fan-fic than anything else. Every story beat was predictable or resolved in unsatisfying ways and the encounters/fights were so unmemorable that I'm honestly having trouble remembering them outside of instances that made me think "This is just so lame, what happened to this show?".

Attached: 1513537778999.png (333x304, 139K)

its possible that they made the first 3 episodes separately as a way to sell the show, that's usually the answer when there's a noticeable drop in quality

Are you familiar with the Ralph Bakshi movie Wizards? Do you remember the part near the beginning that's about the robot soldier trying to infiltrate the base of the good guys to assassinate one of them. That's the reason why that part is so much higher quality than the rest of the film. That was the test footage they made on their own dime and used to sell the film so they could make the rest.

Maybe it's from the movie idea that got maybe'd for all those years. Genndy had years to think of ideas for it. But shame on him for not putting as much thought and effort into the rest of the series.

Attached: 1491816633396.jpg (700x917, 226K)

No when it started pushing a shit pairing in a story that didn't need romance. It didn't need romance for four seasons and it definetly didn't need it in the last one.

>Waaah my main character gets a love interest in a cartoon after 5 and a half seasons for 3 episodes
Get over it

please leave

But user, without Aku, his post would have never existed

Attached: SoggyScarceComet-max-1mb.gif (240x135, 351K)

Remember when fans sperged out because Rick and Morty took up a timeslot one saturday?

yes, I was very mad about that

Not putting one last foolish samurai.

No one on Sup Forums thinks the first three episodes were bad, they were absolutely amazing and everything we hoped season 5 would be.
And then the rest of the episodes aired.

I don't feel too strongly about Ashi either way, but the last two episode MY GOD

Genndy should've concentrated on making a linear plot in a series that had been purely episodic feel natural, then concentrated on introducing a new main character to a show that had only had two major characters for 4 seasons while giving new character enough development that the audience likes her. Those things are challenge enough without jamming in romance.
I was hoping for a father/daughter or mentor/protegee relationship myself, but I would've liked the romance if it weren't so rushed. If they'd had a couple seasons for character development Ashi and Jack could've had an amazing dynamic no matter what direction their relationship went in.

Attached: 1491723793291.jpg (1000x656, 359K)

they spent more screen time fighting the monolith monster than fighting aku

I remember thinking "Okay they made 3 great episodes in a row this season is going to fuck hard" and then it didnt

youtube.com/watch?v=ZQkj7RpCGNU
The promos are amazing though, I still want this remix of the theme song

Still mad they
>made a bad romance
>actually went forward with the "Jack succeeds in going back in time" when i big part of the original show, and part of the finale, how the future and the people he helped were worth saving
>waited for the longest period to make Ashi's death mean something when she should have disappeared the moment they killed Aku, or not disappeared at all because that would mean they entered an alternate timeline

Comic had a better ending

Attached: RCO021.jpg (1041x1600, 413K)

and that's saying something, since the comic had a shit ending

Attached: scaramouche head explode.gif (500x280, 913K)

>If they'd had a couple seasons for character development Ashi and Jack could've had an amazing dynamic no matter what direction their relationship went in.
A thousand times this. I see what he wanted to do, and how it led to the tone shift, but it needed at least 15-20 episodes to do it, not 10. The finale episode also needed to be a full hour, and had one last Jack vs Aku fight.
Which begs the question: Why the everloving fuck did Adult Swim only order ten episodes?

Attached: 1495338175324.jpg (1024x768, 54K)

>I'm a chuckster!

>>actually went forward with the "Jack succeeds in going back in time" when i big part of the original show, and part of the finale, how the future and the people he helped were worth saving
GOTTA GET BACK
Literally the premise of the entire series.
Christ on a crouton I'd have been pissed if after decades of working to a single goal, Jack just said "fuck it"

So why didn't he gotta get back all those other times he could have?

so you're happy with all the people Jack spent the last decades helping either
A. were erased from existence when Jack went back in time
or
B. are now left with an unkillable Aku because no sword

The only time I recall him willingly refusing to go back was to save these dudes.
And it was bullshit.
I remember thinking at the time, that there's no reason to save them if he's going to go back in some later episode.
It fits with his side goal of helping the people along the way. But most of the good Jack did was in some way related to lessening Aku's power or finding a portal.

Attached: Samurai Jack - s3e10_ Jack, the Monks, and the Ancient Master's Son.mkv_snapshot_11.18_[2017.03 (720x480, 444K)

Of course he is pastfags only care about the objective stated in the theme song and not the meaning of the actions.

Some sort of branching timeline bullshit, Ashi goes to destroy the Aku in the past and Jack stays to fight with and organize the people of the future. Ashi fades away because she's now a paradox and becomes a goddess unable to interact with the material world, Jack stays in the future and just lives out the ending from the comic.
Comicfags and pastfags both have their cake.

Attached: ashi.png (1280x1976, 3.61M)

he turned down getting back MULTIPLE times in the original series

there's also Jack in Space

Or jack only manages to go like ten years back after Ashi dies and realizes he can't make it back to his own time.

Attached: 1490875927810.jpg (1200x1339, 1.35M)

The secret to his heart is get some bugs.

Attached: 1494134233733.jpg (500x177, 25K)

Attached: comfy.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

Attached: Samurai Jack S05E03.mp4_snapshot_09.56_[2017.03.26_04.19.47].png (1280x718, 324K)

The last season was predictable as fuck and if you guys weren't so terrified of going off site to tvtropes for thirty seconds instead of going >anothersite as a kneejerk reaction you'd have seen all of how season 5 was spelled out from the commercials alone.

Did they fuck?

Attached: Samurai Jack S05E03.mp4_snapshot_09.58_[2017.03.26_04.19.45].png (1280x718, 210K)

You didn't really think Punished Jack was going to last the whole season, did you?
No fictional character grows a depression beard without them losing it before the end of the story.

That's knot possible.

>TVTropes
no one should have to submit themselves to that level of autism

it would've been better if he actually groomed himself instead of just being magicked back into the classic look

In that situation, the ship that was going to send him back was under immediate threat by a giant space gun.
If he were on the ship, it would have been destroyed.

Attached: Samurai Jack - s1e05_ Jack in Space.mkv_snapshot_20.54_[2017.02.26_23.45.11].png (720x480, 280K)

Because Nia used willpower and spiral energy to last the seven days until her wedding day.

You did it! You did the thing!

I am STILL MAD

m8 I spent years on that hellhole

it is some of the purest, most unfiltered autism on the internet, and no one in their right minds should go there.

It didn't, though. It still had a very clear progression, something earlier samurai jack episodes didn't really have.

Honestly, it was Ashi. Season 5 was not the time to introduce a new main character and try to give her a compelling story arc when you have to wrap up the entire franchise. It was too much to handle.

Jack Tales also counts, I guess (Wish fairy)

I'm not even disagreeing with you. But pretending like there's less autism here is hilariously wrong Especially not when we're about due for a past fag going "BUT THE THEME SONG THO"

>Paying for cable
>watching commercials
What year is this? Are we talking about the original series?
I haven't had cable in 8 years.

Had to be done. You can't do a hero's journey without establishing he's worthy of continuing his lineage. There's gotta be a girl to be gotten.

Youtube nigga. The promos were there.
Cons too.
And AS's website.
And posted on Sup Forums almost daily for the month leading up to it.

nowhere in the hero's journey is a love interest required

take away Ashi, and the plot is exactly the same, only he stays in the future

Attached: heros-journey-diagram-1.png (600x600, 257K)

Sup Forums has a lot of back and forth that you don't get on TVTropes. TVTropes is just a collection of "things what happen in media" with no hint of analysis or discussion

yes, we're autistic, but we're not the kind of autistic that needs to break everything down into easily sortable categories

Except it didn't happen organically, it barely even happened. They just repeated the exact same story beat as Mad Jack except it was somehow even more obvious.

No there really didn't getting the girl isn't near as important to the hero's journey as 'reunion with father' and 'belly of the beast' is supposed to the midpoint where the hero is at his lowest not done like three times and have him in the literal belly of beast at some of his most powerful.

>I don't get why they made it so delayed. They killed aku celebrated and set up a wedding before it happened
I'll do you one better: Jack ultimately killed Aku in the past, *thousands of years* before Ashi was even born.
So yeah, it didn't make any sense. Jack logically shouldn't have even been able to go back to the past to kill Aku since Ashi was the one who got him there and that resulted in Jack killing Ashi's father before Ashi was born. That's basic grandfather paradox shit.

Getting the girl is usually a part of stage 9 in your image. If not 9, then 10. Male heroes conclude their stories as virgins. They need at least the implication of attractiveness to the opposite sex.
>take away Ashi, and the plot is exactly the same, only he stays in the future
So same, except with a completely different end?
I think the final season could've been spun that way but it would've had to have been done from the storyboarding stage. Once Baby Ashi has that moment with the butterfly and gets singled out as the one that'll turn good, it was obvious how the rest of the season was going to play out.

One thing I hate about TV tropes is the incessant need to create more categories.
Instead of going in depth to find existing tropes in less commonly watched media like 12 O'Clock High or THX 1138, the site users come up with ever more convoluted tropes and attempt to find examples in Yugioh and Game of thrones.

yes, usually the love interest can be the reward. But it doesn't have to be.

Whoops!

Attached: Samurai Jack S05E03.mp4_snapshot_18.01_[2017.03.26_04.31.15].png (1280x718, 779K)

I'm sure you're right. I'm just blanking on examples of where this is the case.

I'm still curious as to whether or not Ashi had a feminine or a masculine penis. Being a girl, you would think of course that she'd have a feminine one, but being a fragment of Aku, I'd have to lean towards masculine. And hairy.

there's the Golden Fleece, the Holy Grail, joining the Rebellion, the Philosopher's Stone, the Witch's broomstick, and, in Jack's case, literally the sword

a love interest is RARELY the reward

Its often the tool used to beat the baddy, an argument could be made that the magic sword returning to Jack was his reward moment in S5.

At least we know what color the hair would be.

Attached: Samurai Jack - s4e09_ Jack versus Aku.mkv_snapshot_11.02_[2017.03.12_23.15.33].png (720x480, 228K)

Black?

That's the price of having openly editable user supplied content. You could avoid that problem by centrally planning the content, but then that would eliminate the whole point of it being the product of informal user contributions.

His reward was mental stability.

Oh for some reason I was imagining Aku tainted Ashi with a big boner.

Attached: Samurai.Jack.S05E09.mp4_snapshot_20.54_[2017.05.13_23.58.35].png (1280x720, 616K)