What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: 22881.jpg (952x536, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EBYsx1QWF9A
youtu.be/E7MBlq1CmbE
joshkeaton.tumblr.com/post/171747748039/re-shipping-im-kind-of-between-a-rock-and-a-hard
bumpworthy.com/bumps/2022
bumpworthy.com/bumps/1819
bumpworthy.com/bumps/1829
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dan harmon

Yeah, pretty much. Well that and a stupid fanbase

The fucking sauce joke.

Tried the Futurama heavy emotional moments way to early and often.

Destroyed its central dynamic but making Morty cynical, he needed to stay optimistic and naive

fpbp

Don't forget to make the S(YoU) variant of this thread

Attached: reason behind dan harmons divorce.jpg (765x900, 299K)

This and Rick became an unbeatable god- like figure.

Started taking itself seriously.
Started being used as an outlet for the creator's opinions.
Started having to fill an inside-company diversity quota.

This is the spot on one. Everyone became cynical in the show, even Summer who used to scream at Rick's car murdering people now barely batted an eye. You need someone other than fucking Jerry who doesn't even live in the house anymore to get freaked out at Rick's antics.

Hell, the best episode was when we had a classic Morty with Toxin Morty.

I will say though, Mike Lazzo using the show to push his, "W-women are funny though!" PR stunt after saying women aren't funny and getting flack for it was just the icing on the top. It's sucky that Harmon was probably forced to go along with it being the TV veteran, and kind of obvious he took the wheel to do so since Roiland literally shut his mouth the entire time never even being a part of these interviews.

Attached: 1501742232613.png (798x826, 353K)

Sup Forums saw it and being the retards they are mistook Rick as someone who is supposed to be viewed in the right causing them to spam shitposting threads about it for years now ruining any possible discussion to ever happen. The sauce debacle jut made it worse. Also season 3 being shit.

it took itself too seriously

I don't watch a lot of television but Vindicators 3 is honestly one of the most unpleasant episodes I've seen in my life.
My God, season 3 was so shit.

Attached: 1518844521236.jpg (518x549, 55K)

depending on who you ask, you'll get different answers. nothing went wrong

all these people complaining about the fanbase hate themselves, it has nothing to do with the show really

and if you're complaining about women writers, you're equally just as retarded

Justin Roiland is still pretty cool though. I miss when he used to visit Sup Forums.

Why the fuck did Rick go from a superintelligent scientist who was still at risk of dying from his incompetence to this incredible undefeatable supersayan?
Nothing is ever a threat anymore nothing seems to be able to kill him.
Towards the end of the 3rd season I wasn't even surprised when he got away. There's no tension nothing can fucking hurt him so why even bother.

Attached: rick-and-morty-season-3-episode-4-review-vindicators-3-the-return-of-worldender.jpg (825x464, 282K)

Nigga I love me
Figure your own shit out, don't lump me in with you just because I see flaws in a show

I'm not upset they hired women writers because of personal guilt. I'm upset they hired literally who's when they already had a solid writing team.

PICKLE RIIIIIIIICK

I will never forget the week leading up to that. My God. How.

The internet.

>don't lump me in with you = I need to distance myself from other people who watch a show I like
>I'm not upset they hired women writers because of personal guilt. I'm upset they hired literally who's = I don't have any valid complaints about anything I just need to vent about something
regardless of how you feel about it or how special you think you are, you are acting exactly like the thing you claim is so obnoxious

Two of the women writers helped ruin the show. Sorry.

>upset that the producers of a show fired their creative team to 'refresh' their ideas and objectively tank the quality of a show
>I don't have any valid complaints

Go to bed, Harmon

Attached: 1403962072859.jpg (284x280, 18K)

He was never threatened by anything, rewatch the fucking show

It became the thing it initially made fun of in the span of one and a half seasons

So he just asked Morty to pick a gun and shoot ayy lmaos for fun?

Come the fuck on

First episode he was running from the federation troops after they found the seeds up Morty's ass, at one point he and morty seemed to be trapped and Rick was out of ideas but Morty got the antigravity boots to run up a wall so they could get away.

Anatomy Park he was constantly in danger and had to run away from shit. Season 3 Rick would have destroyed the diseases.
Fuck's sake, in Rick Potion #9 he fucks things up so fucking bad that he has to leave for another reality.
In Get Scwhifty he was completely helpless against the cromulons and simply had to play their game and sing the song like they wanted him to do.
Then Season 3 comes along and nothing is a threat he dispenses everything easily.
Season 3 Rick is grossly overpowered

Attached: 624246174001_5488770101001_5488768868001-vs.jpg (1280x720, 96K)

He swats threats easily every episode, that is part of the show's charm. No one expects he'll get fucked in the ass. One of the reasons the show was successful is because he is one of the only mad scientist characters that can do anything. The show is about him and all the other characters just exist to eat shit

youtube.com/watch?v=EBYsx1QWF9A

Holy fuck, RTJ really is the rick and morty of Rap. This has to be the cringest thing I've seen in a while.

Combining rap with anything that isn't rap is generally cringy and stupid. See: any rap song based on a video game

I'm just saying the threats were threatening in Season 1 and 2.
Now they're more like inconveniences

And that's why it's bad

hard headed insistence on having a main plot and a sub plot in every episode, even though in nearly every episode one of the plots sucks compared to the other

>DUDE BEATING UP NAZIS IS FUNNY LMMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

Attached: 1492478583650.gif (500x250, 2M)

>I WAS ONLY WEARING IT IRONICALLY, GUYS GUYS STOP HITTING ME

It is pretty funny yeah

>OH YES TYRONE PLEASE FUCK MY WIFE IN THE ASS WHILE I GOBBLE UP SOME SOY!

Attached: 1520601315901.jpg (260x368, 35K)

It just got even funnier.

>Season 4: It's all been a hallucination caused by Rick getting thrown into Intergalactic Prison

I enjoyed season 3 more than the other two. Call the cops, I don't give a fuck.

t. triggered redditor

The fanbase realized that you're not supposed to side with Rick.

never go full retard

>tried to live up to the “hype” of season three premier
>Rick becomes a nigh omnipotent godly figure who gets shat on by a self insert character
>Pickle Rick
>The Schezuan Sauce incident
>Vindicators 3
>Season Finale
>Bad jokes
>Characters went from somewhat loveable to insufferable
>Tried to shoehorn in drama between Rick and Jerry
>Plot Holes that were left out at the end of the season
>The fanbase growing into the shit pile it is today
>Pickle Rick
>Shoehorned in drama
>”You’re not crazy you’re smart” speech
Did I miss anything?

Loss of direction, it seems

even in season 1 there were a lot of bad episodes

The show basically developed narrative schizophrenia. Season 1 was essentially just wacky one-off plots, and that's a fine thing to base a show on, especially a sci-fi adventure series. Then at the end of season 1, they injected a little heart. Rick really does love his grandkids, and he has his flaws. The real world consequences of being a nihilistic genius alcoholic start to slip in to the narrative. He's smart, but that's made it impossible to form relationships, but he manages to bond a bit with the grandkids he's been adventuring with. It's nothing revolutionary, but for broadcast TV it might as well be 24 karat gold.

Then season 2 happens and they decide to build on that characterization. Not a bad idea. You can only do so many crazy sci-fi adventures before it starts getting formulaic, so why not pull an Empire Strikes Back and focus on the characters for the second season. So we get some more character development, we explore the conflict between Jerry (The show's effective straight man) and Rick that culminates in Jerry's very reasonable concern that all these sci-fi adventures are going to get everyone killed. Again, the reality of Rick seeps into the narrative, and it's resolved by Rick sacrificing himself to save his family in the culmination of his character arc.

Then season 3 happens and it turns out he doesn't give a fuck about anything and it was all part of his super secret master plan to destroy everyone who ever got in his way. In one episode, the entirety of season 2's character development was essentially retconned, and all possible narrative tension was removed because all previously established threats were easily dispatched. Someone on the writing team wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted the wacky one-off sci-fi adventuring of Season 1 with the more focused character dramatics of Season 2, so we get a mish-mash of both that's totally unsatisfying.

You formed an opinion.

There’s nothing wrong with writers who are women, but if you are hiring writers just BECAUSE they are women, that’s a problem

Them and Logic. At least RTJ has their own thing going on, Logic is a leech that copies his contemporaries and brings up how he’s biracial in every other song
>youtu.be/E7MBlq1CmbE

You know this episode was released way before the “Punch a Nazi” thing right? It’s actually funny to think how things have changed since this episode aired in 2014, had this happened last year Sup Forums would have an uproar

To continue, this is why you get episodes about characters going to therapy with absolutely no drama. Rick cannot be "threatened" with the idea of his family working out their (Read: His) issues because he's the master of the family and he's manipulating everyone and they're too dumb to see it. It's why you get dumb fake-outs like the ending of the Vindicators episode. The worst part is, they can't go back. Rick was just manipulating everyone all along. So any other actual character development just gets relegated to more manipulation. It also makes the main character seem like an absolutely horrible person, which is a huge problem in a comedy show. Yes it's possible for the main character of a comedy to be a total bastard, but in that case the humor is usually derived from mockery of their awful behavior. The writers have a bizarre habit of heaping praise on Rick at nearly every opportunity, as though we're supposed to see his awful tendencies as positives. It's bizarre, it's a little creepy, and it's certainly not funny.

you're kinda just coming off as a fuckin retard, dude. seriously, I don't understand where you're coming from. stop reading forums, and read a book. shit, read a book on Nazism, i don't care. just develop your values beyond a fucking internet meme.

>Notice that people liked Tiny Rick
>Hmm, what's the dumbest ____ Rick joke we could make?
>I'm Pickle Riiiick hahaha
>Oh man that's so stupid. I bet fans will laugh at how self-aware we are making such a stupid joke.
>Let's make it the only trailer for season 3 four five months after the April fools joke, people are really gonna get it!
>bubsycatchphrase.waw

Has a joke ever ruined a fandom before?

Attached: first-session-of-laser-tattoo-removal-done-on-this-pickle-31065015.png (500x631, 142K)

voltron
sheith

What happened there? Never really got into Voltron.

Hilary

the voice of one the MCs made a joke out of a pairing
shiro+keith=sheith
which is hilarious

but tumblr fujo's were incredibly mad after said characters were revealed to have a "problematic" age difference

basically real people getting absurdly offended by minor issues of fictional characters

heh

Attached: mexcharles.jpg (324x372, 53K)

>, but if you are hiring writers just BECAUSE they are women, that’s a problem
did you botch a job interview or something

I've been a massive fan of the new Voltron series since day 1 and i've literally never heard of what you're talking about

are you for reals? it was a huge fucking deal, and threads always get shit spammed about it
the guy even had to address it publicly
joshkeaton.tumblr.com/post/171747748039/re-shipping-im-kind-of-between-a-rock-and-a-hard

It got too popular

The unironic support for the meme sauce and rickle pick.

Attached: Guacamole Ricardo.png (1600x1139, 1.46M)

S1 Rick was an ornery, drunk grandpa. He went through a lot in his life and it got to him at points, but he ultimately wanted his family to love him. He was smarter than Morty but all the same when it came to panic and running away from any major threats. Even with all his gadgets and smarts, he still had to work through situations and be on his toes. Once Season 2 hit, Rick had his character flaws turned up to 11. Ornery grandpa with a hard life turned to smug asshole that wanted to kill himself. He still didn't want his family members dead but any fun he had with them on-screen was reduced to a minimum. When it came to adventures, all the tension and drive was taken out of the plot as there was no longer any feasible risk. While S1 Rick had issues getting parts from highly advanced sexbots, Rick has little to no issue constructing his ratsuit/lazer or assembling his Saw knockoff while drunk. S1 Rick ran from mooks like Scary Terry and Government Drones, but S2/3 Rick can take out the Citadel solo or instantly kill anyone who touches him.

tl;dr Too much Almighty Rickwank, not enough Grandpa Rick Adventures

S1 and 2 were fine, but S3 had no tension. That fight with the president was just eye rolling.

>What went wrong
The show was created, someone actually greenlit this shit after seeing the original shorts, it got popular enough to not get cancelled after the first season, it didn't get cancelled after the second season, it's still not cancelled after the third season
>What went right
Studio Yotta

Season 2 was definitely rife with writing issues. Episodes like E01, E09, and E10 put Rick too high above the others characters so he could better talk down to him, while E03 and E07 had that shitty extremely-troubled-Rick characterization. Then of course you have E05 and E08 being lazy episodes in general but those would be bad writing no matter the context. They still tried to connect back to some of the same elements in the character dynamics established in Season 1, but overall, it was already turning to trite. It was better than Season 3, but it was by far nowhere close to being good on its own.

It was never good.

it got popular and Sup Forumsntrarian fags started bitching about it

Every character you are supposed to like is slowly turning into Rick, every character you're supposed to like is an idiot who is not like Rick and that's why you're supposed to dislike them.

the season with women writers was the highest watched season to date with more people tuning in.liking it, and staying. This compared to season 2 and scaling far better than 1. Women writers saved the show

The Pickle Rick jokes is a legit great one IMO. Because it's so fucking retarded. It's sold so well by Morty, who doesn't freak out or get angry or whatever. It's like the whole thing is too stupid for him to have know what to do. Rick spending the pisode as a pickkle becaues of his own retardation and trying to pathetically get back had potential.

And then they ruined it with doing some shitty action movie and therapy shit instead.

>I will say though, Mike Lazzo using the show to push his, "W-women are funny though!" PR stunt after saying women aren't funny and getting flack for it was just the icing on the top. It's sucky that Harmon was probably forced to go along with it being the TV veteran, and kind of obvious he took the wheel to do so since Roiland literally shut his mouth the entire time never even being a part of these interviews.
That was entirely harmons doing though. Also why did he act like a bitch and take back his remark, women are funny and thats a fact.

Too clever for the show. Also, it's dumb.

Nihilism.

They aired the Season 3 Premiere. Unscheduled on loop on April Fool's Day.

The retards who have nothing better to watch saw it for the first time and gravitated to the 3rd season like flies on shit.

Creating the kind of shit Rick would have made fun of in the first two seasons.

I honestly do think it has a lot to do with the influx of new writers (and not because they are women) adding a bunch of new creators (for political reasons) to add to the show might not be good for the show. I felt that the season was a mess of ideas some good some bad, more writers doesn't mean your show will be better.

Uh the parasites.

Lol idiot

>the whole season gets its own Dude Sex Machina to just forget everything that happened

it...can work!

Maybe I'm remembering Anatomy Park incorrectly... But wasn't Rick just "Mission Control" for the majority of that episode?

It became popular and Sup Forums started hating it for the fanbase.
It was always this way - pretentious and kinda lame. The novelty wore off.

>ruined [as]'s identity from a "cool, postmodern, "indie"" channel to the "rick&morty&others" channel
>lost its sense of irreverence by being a popular cartoon in the 10's and therefore needing a melodramatic overarching plot despite being a sci-fi comedy
>morty.. i-i gotta tell ya somethin morty i gotta tell ya real bad morty oooooh jeez rick what is it t-t-tell me what it is morty u u u.u gotta jam this pickle up my ass mooorrorghrty you gotta geurrght it real, far up i-in there morty oh jeeez rick now all-all the windows in the universe are inside out or some dumb shit
>over and over and over again

Attached: 1496192222222.png (640x460, 390K)

It became successful and started playing to the lowest common denominator audience that latched on to the popular thing.

What a joke this whole thing was. "It's funnier now that our gender ratio is equal. That is what equates to comedy."

Forced diversity is just bucking effectiveness for diversity's sake.

This

THE FUCKING NAZIS DESTROYED DAN HARMON'S SANITY
2 0 P E R C E N T
WE CAN BEAT EM GUYS

It's these.

The thing that ruined their image was dropping the bumps like these, not Rick and Morty.
bumpworthy.com/bumps/2022
bumpworthy.com/bumps/1819
bumpworthy.com/bumps/1829

Best season 3 episodes were

>"The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy"
>"Rest and Ricklaxation"
>"The Ricklantis Mixup"
>"Morty's Mind Blowers"

>complaining about an after credits sequence
It was funny

If the show stinks. Just don't watch it.
If someone makes a thread about it. Don't go in it.
If you can't deal with it. Well then you're fucked.

Attached: Itstinks.jpg (480x360, 12K)

the hip hop themes on [as] were great until around 2014

Good god, Rick is one unlikable prick of character. I hate shows that try to do the bad person or jerkass main character and fails like Family Guy for example.

...How much time do ya got?

I don't think season 3 was as bad as everyone says it is (and I don't think season 2 was as good as everyone says it is), and I know I'm going to get made fun of by internet bullies for this, but it just didn't feel like it was as "clever" with its premises that the other 2 seasons were, previously we usually had episodes that presented us with a premise and then went in an unusual, interesting direction with it that lead to some fun sequences and character dialogue, but this formula was pushed aside and we got a lot more by-the-numbers episodes that just didn't really have anything interesting or novel about them. Like the Froopyland episode, it seemed more like it was just trying to gross the viewers out with the premise more than it was entertain them, which is a shame because it was initially interesting()Rick built a world for Beth and someone is trapped in it) but just fell apart into mediocrity and then had that super embarrassing "you are super smart beth" speach to finish it off. Then the character drama itself was just uninteresting, Beth and Jerry break up for the season and then they just get back together in 1 episode, great. And this is just after the episode where Jerry is called racist and sexist (??) by his own kids and are then welcoming him back into the family after telling him to fuck off for the rest of it, it's just so poorly written, and an incredibly misguided direction to take the writing of the show.

I think a lot of the blame can be put on the new writers, not necessarily because they are women, but because it's hard enough to get a group of writers who can work well enough and "get" each other enough to produce a show as tonally consistent as the previous Rick and Morty seasons, but then to double the writing team for no real reason jeopardises that cohesion and results in the mess we got here.

Attached: 4684.jpg (978x768, 131K)

i really liked the vindicators episode, i thought it was funny

It's not saved if it's shit.