Sonic Mania Adventures

So this is a thing

Attached: sonic-mania-adventures-screenshot.jpg (1280x625, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T2uyIBURMjs
youtube.com/watch?v=LqQuZ7RTfVk
youtube.com/watch?v=QXeN8CBySs0
youtube.com/watch?v=nD3_JVuCHd8
youtube.com/watch?v=lXpl0Cryu44
youtube.com/watch?v=0u8nnB2M0xI
playstationlifestyle.net/2018/02/07/sega-says-sonic-forces-sales-performed-strongly/)
youtube.com/watch?v=YYbp4Ne1eFw
youtube.com/watch?v=zA9zwpMj_8A
youtube.com/watch?v=MAd78EuaHgE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=T2uyIBURMjs

lookin goofd!

Sweet. Classic Sonic's the best; these animations look charming as hell.

This is seriously how Sonic should've always been. I even like some of the modern era, but this is truly how you make Sonic a cool, but TIMELESS character. This Sonic doesn't need to ooze attitude to be cool.

awww fuck yeah I'll watch the shit out of this

You know how long I've been wanting this?
Since I saw the grainy FMV's on Sonic CD back when I was little.
youtube.com/watch?v=LqQuZ7RTfVk
I'm legitimately hyped

Attached: Soniccd-cover.jpg (300x504, 47K)

I always figured that Mario and Mickey Mouse didn't need to become edgy and cool, I don't understand why the fuck Sega felt Sonic needed longer limbs and an edgier teenage attitude.
We're nearing 40 years of Mario and he's still a short squat tubby plumber and everyone's always loved him that way

Attached: 7a9baa29e43b7f1780b3541651ce46f0--video-game-characters-super-mario-bros.jpg (540x540, 54K)

milenial writers ruin everything

Especially since Classic Sonic's design could've been easily adapted into something "cooler" without needing to be completely changed.

Attached: classic_sonic_by_ketrindarkdragon-db3t9ha.png (755x1058, 383K)

If he was already edgy and cool why did they have to make him edgy and cooler?

Have you seen the OVA?

You have to be 18 to post here.
He was more of a lovable mascot with attitude in the Genesis era and then he became an edgy teenager as of Sonic Adventure.
Bitch I grew up with Sonic I played the original in 1992 you don't tell me what he was and wasn't ok boy?

The word "edgy" has now officially lost all meaning in the context of Sonic discussion.

Ok then old Sonic was a lovable rascal with an attitude like Bugs Bunny while Mario was the wholesome good clean fun character like Mickey Mouse.
Mario just like Mickey never really changed while Sonic got a total redesign and his attitude got pushed to the extreme.
How's that?

Best character of the Sonic series.

Attached: 1309129801124.jpg (567x922, 43K)

So you're saying these are The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

Ok bud, calm down. Maybe I wasn't clear what I meant:

Sonic went from SHOWING attitude and coolness through his actions and poses, to TELLING us how cool he was by making cheesy one-liners and hammering in the attitude. Japanese depictions are mostly what I'm referring to. In the games at least. AoStH Sonic/SatAM Sonic do not fall under this. I will admit that Sega has been retroactively "correcting" the definition of "Classic Sonic" to be the cutesy lovable type, but works like Sonic Cd and Mania have found a balance of keeping Sonic's coolness/attitude, but not having to go all "radical 90s bro" with it.

Hyped

Attached: 5f0279f47f863ec030860f03150aba7e.gif (540x540, 337K)

>no bulge jiggle
very disappointed

>Night of the Werehog and Sonic Mania are god tier animations
>tfw the Hollywood movie is going to be hyper crihge

Attached: 1397784303300.jpg (3888x2592, 1.93M)

>implying you aren't excited for the inevitable memes and shitposting
Imagine if the movie had input from sonic twitter guy and they tried to incorporate memes, but due to executive meddling dictating what humor in a kids movie has to be it's all sterile and unnatural

Attached: 1513851213393.png (416x425, 182K)

>Eggman will fart in the movie and Sonic will say "Dude, seriously?"

>flickies are minion-style comic relief characters

>sonic twitter guy
Not in the loop on this. Anyone got some good screencaps?

Sega hired some guy from a sonic forum to be their community manager and he's turned sonic's promotional identity into embracing all of the memes associated with the franchise
Everything from normie tier 'gotta go fast' to sanic and chris chan

Attached: sonic twitter.png (1116x779, 175K)

So, he's basically doing for sonic, what happened with Wendy's?

essentially
I don't think wendy's has a youtube channel though
youtube.com/watch?v=QXeN8CBySs0

The Sonic twitter started this shit, and this is the motherfucking thanks it gets?

H

Attached: 1498411493284.png (325x331, 143K)

>Sonic doesn't need to ooze attitude to be cool
But then he stops being Sonic.

holy shit that's a perfect design, i don't even mind adventure sonic cause it's so absurdly late 90s/early 00s but fuck me that's a good looking hog right there

Attached: 19873678_1579369392107130_137081437_n.gif (261x146, 667K)

How long was this in the making, I wonder? Did it only start after Mania sold so well?

I think part of the charm of genesis era sonic games was that it left a lot to the imagination. There is probably no real consensus on what his 'attitude' actually was.

Because Sonic was always a product of his time. Mario never really cared about design, he was always just a silly plumber. But Sonic is all about his design; he's an amalgam of very late 80s trends, embodying the entirety of the 90s. When the 2000s hit, he updated himself to be an amalgam of the 2000s, embodying that Era for better and for worse.

Attached: 1521272100345.jpg (765x1024, 126K)

So a bunch of new Sonic stuff is coming? What did I miss?

Sonic Mania Plus
It will have a physical release but apparently you can also upgrade your digital version (so it's essentially dlc)

Attached: sonic_phys.jpg (1280x720, 213K)

Sonic Mania Adventures (5 short free animations from Tyson Hesse)
Sonic shoes from Puma.
Sonic Mania Plus see They teased a new racing game.

>his attitude got pushed to the extreme.
But it really didn't. Even in games like SA2 and Sonic '06 where the stakes are higher, he just behaves like the same old hedgehog, saying shit like "Aw yeah, time to rock 'n roll!"

>They teased a new racing game.
details? SASR or something new?

I feel like Mario has always looked slightly angry since Sunshine. Something about the eyebrows.

There are no actual details available.

>, I don't understand why the fuck Sega felt Sonic needed longer limbs and an edgier teenage attitude.
because it was the late 90s and the Sega wanted to use the Dreamcast as a vehicle to explore new means of presentation and expression in their games. In Sonic's example, that's what happens to a game franchise when it fails to have a mainline entry in the series for several years

Chaotix, 3D Blast, Sonic R, Sonic Jam, them outright canceling Extreme all point to something. Everything that happened after S3&K and before Adventure was them planning out where the series was gonna go next. It had to happen sooner or later, that's just how I see it

You know, this doesn't look too bad really. As a matter of fact, it's no where near bad minus the cheesy CGI.

What did they do to tease it though?

CD Classic Sonic is the best Sonic design.

Attached: sonic_cd_ending_pose_by_blueparadoxyt-dbevf24.png (1343x1504, 3.03M)

Rumors were swirling that they were going to announce a Sonic solo racing game, no and All Stars. The Sonic R style R in the title might hint to that.

Sonic did it first

youtube.com/watch?v=nD3_JVuCHd8
>using the Sonic R style R
>showing a car
I'm conflicted

Alright, so here's a serious question. Can Sonic on a car catch up with Eggman on his feet?

Attached: 1457450674.mdlmemorybank_egg_base.jpg (1280x1280, 262K)

>There is probably no real consensus on what his 'attitude' actually was.
Maybe not, but come on, it was the early 90's. It isn't difficult to imagine, unless you were born later.

Same, user...Ive wanted an on foot racer for Sonic, since I think the concept can work (and also because overall I can't think of any on foot racing games BESIDES Sonic R) it was just that Sonic R was ehh executed poorly.

the fact it shows cars and engine rumble but the Sonic R thing might simply mean they are using the R as a symbol and nothing more.

>There will never be a game which plays like this
At least we have sonic utopia

Still miffed that there will not be any new levels, but at least there's a chance of a Mania 2.

he's-a gettin too old for this-a shit.

I wish we could get one game to do that "Sonic at the top of a big fucking slope and you're able to just thru pure momentum launch yourself like 2000 feett into the air, the games of course have slopes and shit but nothing on the scale of whats in this FMV sequence.

The best part of the video is that Classic Sonic got the fuck out of Forces.

Cute

Bump

From the guy who brought you Nipples the Enchilada.

Attached: nipples the enchilada.png (521x232, 155K)

My nigga.
Classic Sonic is my favorite design, but I love the fuck out of the Adventure-era illustration style.

Good.

Now just bury the Modern crap, port the newer characters into the Classic style, and never mention Forces again.

Boco, the Modern stuff is what's keeping kids hooked, while the Classic stuff is what's keeping Sonic's name good. We need both for equilibrium of the Sonic brand. They just need to stop trying to combine them and focus on separating them, like they are now.

Having two separate branches of the Sonic franchise is the best thing they can do to appease fans, I've been asking for this since Sonic 4 came out in 2010.

Can they still pretend Forces never happened?

I'd like them to acknowledge they fucked up and make a better game next time.
How they made a game more shallow than Colors 7 years later is astounding to me. There should be no reason Forces isn't better than Generations.

Besides vs mode in a few Sonic games and Gourmet Race in Kirby I can only think of one. It wasn't very good.
youtube.com/watch?v=lXpl0Cryu44

Attached: running-wild-usa.jpg (600x589, 140K)

Reminds me of Mad Dash, an XBox launch title.
youtube.com/watch?v=0u8nnB2M0xI

Sonic Drift...

Did forces even sell that well? I can't imagine it did much better than mania, if at all. And the ones before that were boom, a flop, and generations which was nostalgia pandering. With plus being announced it kinda feels like them going fuck we backed the wrong game

Plus if we are talking modern fanbase then which one? Adventure or boost? There have always been a lot of people saying we need to go back to adventure cause that is the game they played when they were kids not 1,2,3&K. Then you have people who only like sonic for the tertiary material. The sonic fanbase is kind of a mess, I think it is fair to say him as an iconic resonates with the younger audiences more than the recent games aimed at them.

What the hell, Gex was in a racing game, and they didn't even put him on the cover as a selling point? How strange.

>"Why am I driving a car?"
And that's why Sonic Drift sucks.

My guess right now:
The new racing game will have a story akin to Diddy Kong Racing or Crash Team Racing. Sonic will make some sort of stupid joke about having to be in a car instead of running.
Screencap this.

Sega says that Sonic Mania was the "best received" Sonic game in a long time, and that Forces "performed strongly" (playstationlifestyle.net/2018/02/07/sega-says-sonic-forces-sales-performed-strongly/)

Personally, and I say this as someone who has bought every Boost title, I think it's time to retire Boost. Like said, Forces is the most shallow Boost game yet, and I think Sonic Team has proven they don't have a way to expand on the gameplay ideology that isn't a few shallow gimmicks. I don't think going back to Adventure 1 or Adventure 2 is the right thing to do, but in those games Sonic did control like a more normal video game character, and I think he needs to do that in 3D games going forward. I also think he needs stages that branch more naturally, rather than branches being things you access by playing rhythm games with the shoulder buttons or jumping at the right point in what feels like a cutscene due to your speed being regulated by boosters.

Attached: sanik_fast_by_katachan-d8bl51i.jpg (494x1144, 775K)

While I enjoyed the boost games, I don't think it's at all the best choice for Sonic Team going forward. Think about how much fucking terrain and level design they have to build for a stage. And then it only lasts a minute, blowing past all of the beautiful scenery they spent literal months trying to perfect. It's a hell of a lot of work with little payoff. Making something akin to Sonic Utopia seems to be the way to go, just with way less openness to it. But the stage from that demo clearly was built without needing to design 700 different background buildings in mind, and rather creating a satisfying level to play.

What about just making Trackmania but with Sonic characters?

I think the problem is that for most of Sonic's 3D career he's been stuck on a track, and that he needs levels that have more open space to them. I don't think he needs to have Mario 64/Odyssey style levels mind you, but maybe they need to open up sometime and not feel like hallways where you sometimes get to a fork in the road. More stages like the areas that Sonic & Knuckles share in Adventure (excluding Skydeck, that part of Skydeck for Sonic is trash).

Which is so weird, because I remember meeting him at AWA years ago when he first drew that comic and admitted that he had only begrudgingly made physical prints of it (which were title "That Dumb Sonic Comic") because he knew it would sell more than Boxer Hockey or that other fantasy comic he did.

Video game discussion on Sup Forums is so much fucking better than it is on Sup Forums, why?

Say what you want about Adventure, but it had the best idea in terms of level design. They were linear, but open enough to work for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.
Speed Highway is a great example of a stage where being Tails does not break the game, but instead opens up more possibilities to explore other paths. Windy Valley sucks though. The beta version was better.

nothing beats the sonic OVA
youtube.com/watch?v=YYbp4Ne1eFw
Jaleel white was also my favorite sonic voice

Sup Forums is worse than Sup Forums in every aspect. You think they complain about stupid shit here? You'll rethink it once you're at Sup Forums. Every discussion is about how stuff sucks or how you're wrong for liking something. Sup Forums is mostly chill.

Because you gay, and this guy gay too
Also more exposure to discussion of a topic means more people hear and internalize retarded memes like "sonic games are bad and for autistic manchildren" or in Sup Forums's case "off model is always bad because raisins"

Really liking it.
youtube.com/watch?v=zA9zwpMj_8A

Sup Forums Rule: Discussion of something on Sup Forums is best in any board BESIDES the one created for it.

This is bizarre, yet at the same time true.

>That time stone warp in
Huh, so this is Canon then. Good to see sonic is back in his own timeline again instead of the bad future from sonic...forces? Fuck I don't even follow the 3D games enough to remember their names half the time.
>We sonic sonic adventure 3
>Also we hate modern sonic
>Here's that sonic adventure cartoon you wanted
>No no NOO

Attached: it begins.jpg (660x660, 94K)

>time stone
The Time Stones are from CD, and those are safely secured on the Little Planet. Mania Classic Sonic used the Phantom Ruby to get back home. Forces wasn't a bad future, it was the Modern world after Eggman took over. Mania Sonic isn't from the past, he's from an alternate world where the Classic Era never ended.

Great, so Forces retroactively ruined Generations too.

Great job Iizuka. Takes skill to fuck up that bad.

>Forces wasn't a bad future, it was the Modern world
All 3D sonic games are the bad future though.

>So this is a thing
And That’s A Good Thing

1) A later piece of media can never ruin a piece of media older than itself, it can just fail to properly use the potential it has.
2) Yes, it does seem that, given Tails' reaction, the Forces Classic Sonic, AKA Mania Sonic, is the same Sonic as Generations Classic Sonic. If so it's a retcon, and it's one that doesn't make any sense. The villain of Generations was known as the Time Eater, and while that may be a name assigned to it by the villains since it doesn't seem to speak, it seems reasonable to assume that it does use time powers, rather than dimension powers. Mania Sonic also doesn't demonstrate any homing attack abilities, despite at the end of Generations that Classic seemed to be learning how to do that.

>putting smash bros instead of 3d world
Such retarded chart

You're right this time, Boco.

Holy shit, Boco is still alive?

Does Roasted Bread still shitpost too?

Bring back Jaleel White

Please don't mention that name.

>not sonic the hedgedog
youtube.com/watch?v=MAd78EuaHgE

Iizuka said yesterday during the panel that Generations Classic Sonic = Forces Classic Sonic.

>The framerate
>The pixalation
>The color reduction
>The compressed screen
Jesus Christ, I realise it must have seemed cool to have cutscenes back in 1993 but c'mon. Who's brilliant idea was it to have the already 4 year old Megadrive run this game on a CD when the Saturn and PS1 was a year away? Just delay and port that shit.