In one of the first scenes of the film, Scar confronts Mufasa and pretty much says that he hates Simba...

>in one of the first scenes of the film, Scar confronts Mufasa and pretty much says that he hates Simba, is butthurt about not being first in line anymore and he warns Mufasa about "turning his back on him"
>When Scar stays true to his word and reveals his true colors, Mufasa looks genuinely shocked
So was he naive or just stupid?

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 44K)

naive. Cared too much about his brother for some reason.

Maybe Mufasa thought Scar was the typical jobless, cynical brother that he had to babysit-

Naive. Mufasa knew Scar had an attitude problem, but he never thought Scar had the ruthlessness or the backbone to actually orchestrate murder. Mufasa loved his brother and figured he could handle Scar, which is why he never booted him. Mufasa was way too soft.

Attached: 1-14-600x340.png (600x340, 141K)

Naive. He didn't want to think his own family would be okay with murdering him.

He didn't think Scar'd actually go through with it. His reaction to Scar's threat was just a disappointed "What am I going to do with him". He thought Scar was just throwing a tantrum.

He never would have thought his own brother would have killed him, so naiveté is what got Mufasa. He was a cunt of a brother, but everyone has a relative like that, and Mufasa though he would have maybe straightened up as Simba stayed around.

Didn't work.

He knew his brother was a dick, just not how much of a dick.

So how do you guys feel about the rumored "Scar is a tragic villain and semi-accidentally kills Mufasa" thing they're doing for the live-action movie?

Why the hell Mufasa even loved the guy? Was he fun at parties or something? Did they used to get along?

They were family, that's probably all the reason Mufasa needed. Regardless of Scar's cunty behavior, Mufasa's probably not the type of person to just turn his back on his own family. He didn't think Scar didn't think the same way.

What the fuck? Sounds stupid as shit

Attached: 1517531057125.gif (240x240, 810K)

Not a fan, if true. I'm getting pissed that villains now have to have a sad backstory.

It used to be interesting, but it's been overdone and Disney's really making me sick of that trope. Sometimes a bad guy, is just a bad guy.

Oh it gets better. The hyenas are now an allegory for black people, and Simba learns to check his privilege and let them into the pridelands.

Sarabi had a hard life.

Attached: Sarabi-Lion-King4.jpg (850x500, 161K)

Extremely gay if true. He's probably going to have constant "oh no I should never have killed my brother" thoughts if it was semi-accidental. Some villains are just evil and that's that, they don't all need a depressing backstory motivating their actions.

>expecting your angry bother to legitimately want to kill you

This. Mufasa was an idealist. His brother talked shit, but that's all Mufasa thought it was because they're brothers.

Her pride really radiated in that scene. I thought it was pretty cool as a kid, the image of that lioness with her head held high surrounded by snapping and spitting hyenas.

>there will come a time where the villain just being a villain is considered revolutionary

Attached: EA4A2F48-BCD2-4EB0-B2F1-CC5A77B656ED.png (640x360, 129K)

Well, not necessarily. They still follow the Circle of Life, but Simba learns not to be an asshole about it.

>Simba learns not to be an asshole about it.
I reject the notion that the hyenas were being badly abused. It's clear they had no self control, so they needed to be separated for their own good as well as that of the rest of the Pridelands. They had food, just not a ton of it given their numbers, but enough to survive off of. Perhaps even comfortably if they ever tried rationing it instead of gorging themselves every time an elephant came through.

The Elephant Graveyard wasn't a hyena death camp. It was a hyena fat camp. To top it all off, Banzai basically says that things were better under Mufasa. They were hungry, yes, but they weren't at risk of starving to death like they were under Scar's leadership.

Ohana means family.
Family means you don't kick your brother out of the herd even if he acts like an evil dick.

Honestly feels like that time is now.

>Taking anything you read on Sup Forums seriously

I want you to think, very, very carefully, about all the times someone has posted on here claiming to be working post-production, or doing other “behind-the-scenes” duties on here. Now, I want you think if they ever once were telling the truth.

Several times.

Like?

Do you mean when villains become the heroes of their stories?

i think he means, villains that don't have an out on why they do villainy (makes them sympathetic).

they can't have a redemption arc.

oh they die as they were, got it

Or they can just win. That's usually neat in the rare instances it occurs. I mean, it's even possible to go through a villainous character arc and still be villainous by the end of it, just different in some other way. A little more sympathetic but still essentially the same asshole. That often happens with villainous protags.

The real distinction is if the narrative is attempting to shift the blame for their behavior away from the villain. Tell the audience it's not their fault. That's the thing that gets really old in certain remakes. I'm all for fleshing out a character but making Scar a victim sounds lame. Almost as bad as Maleficent.

sounds dumb

If Sup Forums didn't learn from the "Vergilasaurus Rex" fiasco in Sup Forums years ago then it never will.

They want to believe in bad news so they can justify their anger (and shitposting) even more.

That's just good animation the likes of which we never see.nkw there's he a quip no facial animation and "roarrrrr nooooooo"

>Simba learns to check his privilege and let them into the pridelands.
Good. Am I the only one that remembers that Hyena's got screwed constantly?

They were only screwed by Scar and his manipulations. They were banished from the pridelands, presumably because of their overindulgences. Even then they recognized that things weren't bad, even better than Scar's reign. There was a system.