Canon / Fan fiction

Sup Forums, what is the difference between fan fiction and canon after the original author/creator/writer has died?

I mean, after the original creator has died and another writer (hired by the legal entity/person holding the rights) creates content based on the original creator's work?

Attached: DC_Earth_3.png (1073x682, 260K)

Fuck I am still mad about Johns completely wasting the CSA.

Whatever is put out by the person, company, or entity that owns the rights is canon unless stated otherwise.

Or it directly contradicts it

Yes, but in the end, it's just a question of legal rights and not creativity?

Is it a problem for you?

I am drifting away from comics lately, and some topics and discussions make me wonder why there's some debate about fictional characters that are not even owned or written by the original creator.

There is no requirement that canon be internally consistent.

What a waste.

Attached: super woman.jpg (952x1541, 373K)

No. People write sucky stories all the time. If a creative team is boring you, just stop reading until they're off the book or until they get better. The nature of serialized storytelling is that any run, no matter how bad, will end eventually.

...What is this from?

Fanfic doesn't have editorial oversight and ultimately the consumers don't have any power. Canon has an audience it's trying to pander to and a long term brand that it has to consider. Neither is functionally "better" than the other, but they are different creative systems.

Beyond that, nothing really matters. Consume what you want.

Side note: In long-running comics I feel like fanon to some degree is stronger than canon though, at least if we start talking hypercrisis (ie what fans enjoyed will become canon again even if it was retconned out as some point, and shit everyone hated will be retconned out even if they try to push it as canon for a while).

JLA Earth 2

Attached: super woman 2.jpg (1032x1600, 268K)

JLA Earth 2

Sup Forums did more interesting fanfic with the Crime Syndicate than Johns EVER did

Attached: Crime Syndicate Forever Evil.jpg (1024x928, 200K)

>hypercrisis (ie what fans enjoyed will become canon again even if it was retconned out as some point, and shit everyone hated will be retconned out even if they try to push it as canon for a while).
Are you retarded? I'm pretty sure you mean Hypertime but that's not what that is either.

He's right though, that's effectively what it is.
"Only the stories you will pay for are real."

But that’s wrong. It’s called a retcon. The creator doesn’t have to come out and say it’s not canon. And by direct contradiction I really mean direct. For example, if a character gets a new origin where his biological parents becomes their adopted parents. In a comic 20 years ago it might have said these adopted parents are biological but we are stupid if we count that as canon as it makes no sense.

No, you're not right. Hypertime is "everything is canon", meaning that even though the various crises happened, the old canon still exists because you can time travel to it, like Barry Allen running to Flashpoint.

No, it isn't wrong. Canon contradicts itself all the time. A retcon is different because it's saying something that happened previously specifically didn't happen. However, it will always remain part of the larger canon in the sense of canon as the complete body of official text.

It used to be canon and now it’s not. You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

The concept of canon has existed for thousands of years. If the idea of some of it not being consistent blows your mind, that's your problem.

No, I said hypercrisis because I meant hypercrisis. It's the idea that the fiction is living and will converge in certain ways. One of these has to do with fan response, if people like a thing it will eventually become canon. If people dislike a thing, it will eventually become non-canon.

The multiverse, as Jim Lee pointed out, is a good example.

There is a different between not being consistent and outright contradiction.

I have this idea for Ultraman that I should keep to myself but I'm probably not gonna make comics so it's like, you know how Superman talks down shooters and gives people hope and shit? I'd have Ultraman inspire people to do worse. Instead of lifting us up, he makes us squander our potential. When he comes across a guy mugging a woman at gunpoint, he takes the gun and makes the woman shoot the mugger to death. Then he has the lady arrested or something.