Why do so many shows try to be deep by mentioning existentialism/nihilism or a form of those...

Why do so many shows try to be deep by mentioning existentialism/nihilism or a form of those? Bojack Horseman does it too kind of but it's a generally pretty good show on it's own, along with Rick and Morty which kind of utilizes it a little worse but either way is kinda good. Seriously, are there that many edgy 13 year olds that want animated adults to say, "IH DOEN MATDHA NIGGUH".

Attached: 1_tQmlnCWTYE8etVpXxUu3jA.jpg (1200x673, 110K)

Every adult animated show is pretentious and wants to be more than "just a cartoon".

Because adults watching cartoons feel hopeless

Well there are more difficult philosophical ideas to tackle, god, I think I understand why people hold Japanese shit on such a high pedestal now.

The credo of this entire site used to be 'nothing is sacred'. If you ask me, we could use a few more of your edgy 13 year olds and less 17 year olds trying to save the world. These moralizing self righteous types around here lately are tiresome.

They are shit at plot structure but damn are they good at incorporating themes and messages in their works.

The entire point of both Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman is that the main characters are wrong for being nihilistic losers and though they appear to have the upper hand most of the time because of their capacity for not caring, they will always lose in the long term

You are morally self righteous and tiresome, just on the other end of the spectrum. Your mindset of "agree with me, or else" is preachy as fuck.

If I didn't find myself confronted with it on a regular basis I wouldn't feel the need to discuss it with you now. I can only hope you lot get bored of lecturing and debating important issues at some point so the pendulum can swing back the other way.

How about less of both?

Sounds good to me.

Attached: 1109683453535.jpg (398x478, 22K)

>show is 97% animal puns, celebrity jokes and alliteration wordplay
>Sup Forums latches on to the one theme they hate and start spewing tears everywhere

Not surprised, still disappointed

But Rick always wins and only "lost" in the season 3 finale because of his family getting out of character and respecting Jerry again.

>there are more difficult philosophical ideas

I think existentialism and finding meaning in a post-modern, largely Godless, society is extremely pertinent to most people these days.

I feel like attempting themes that are more "deep" or complex would appear disingenuous when you're using a shitty artstyle and animation like rick and morty or bojak

>alliteration wordplay
I love it when she does that.

Attached: BojackHorsemanSeason4CourtneyPortnoy.png (540x485, 206K)

You use words like "confronted" and "lecturing", which leads me to believe that you are an outspoken, yet passive and stupid person. Hopefully, in a not too distant day, you will stop believing that your naive hypothetical morally conformist world will one day approach.

>adult cartoons were a mistake

Why are people giving fucks about my thread, this usually never happens.

AS THE PENDULUM SWINGS

sorry.

I have a better question. Why does this board get triggered when a character has a negative trait? It's not glorifying anything, yet Sup Forums treats it as a personal affront to our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

>Bojack deals with his depression poorly and directly suffers for it
>Rick doesn't give a shit about anything and is miserable because of it

These are pretty reasonable portrayals of shitty character traits. When a character is an alcoholic and suffers for it you don't think the show is promoting alcoholism. When a character is a serial killer you don't think the show is promoting murder. Yet when a character is a nihilist or something you immediately start saying "WHY DOES THE SHOW PROMOTE HARBLGARBLGRH"

Nobody accuses George Lucas of being evil because he made one of his characters say "You don't know the power of the dark side!" Nu-Sup Forums would start saying "Wow, this PROVES George Lucas supports being evil. Why else would he make his character say that?"

Do you mean the pendulum of Sup Forums culture?

Are you implying that people used to be more uncaring and nihilistic but now people have actual values now?

Are you seriously implying that this is a bad thing? Because it's not.

They don't have actual values, but if they pretend they do they get a lot of (You)upvotes, so it's in vogue right now.

Are you genuinely fucking retarded? I was reffering to that Linkin Park song.

THREE DUBS IN A ROW, WHO IS BIG BOSS MOTHERFUCKER!?

4 DUBS IN A ROW, THIS IS MY LUCKY DAY!

Dude if someone says something like "I think abortion is bad" or "adult cartoons are too nihilistic" then their potential authenticity or tentativeness of their beliefs doesn't matter at all (since this is a fucking anonymous image board).

stop being mad at people having opinions

This thread is packed though. I am a gentleman.

Attached: 1519006897367.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

I like to think its because Sup Forums relates to those negative traits, and hates them for it.

The fact that you're picking apart my post word for word and attempting to psychoanalyze me is a good example of what I mean. Too many people around here take everything - especially themselves - way too seriously. I always came here to fuck around and argue about silly shit; no greater meaning behind it, no need to act like it's more than it is. But all this posturing over culture and behavior and fairness has drained some of the fun out of it. And unfortunately it's only become more pervasive, thus my commentary.

So once again here's hoping the collective need for moral superiority settles down sooner or later. I know I'm an asshole user, I just wish you didn't try so hard to put on airs.

Attached: 1505835514514.png (810x688, 455K)

Because the way the shows go about it is inauthentic and eye-rolling. You have melodramatic monologues stuffed in between wacky antics that seem to be a way for the creators to have their cake and eat it to. If the fans like the drama then they were geniuses who were pushing the bounds of animation, if it falls flat then 'lol dude its just a cartoon why are you taking it so seriously?'. If the creators don't take their own 'deep' themes seriously enough to have them stand on their own merits why should the audience?

>Are you seriously implying that this is a bad thing?
Not him but yes, that's what I said.

I got the reference.

It's not just Rick. Morty also becomes more nihilistic as the series goes on. And he's supposed to be the voice of reason.

>When a character is an alcoholic and suffers for it you don't think the show is promoting alcoholism.
Yeah but he got that promotion at work anyway. And he's still married to his attractive spouse. He's not being PUNISHED ENOUGH. That's the typical refrain in a nutshell. Just paste in any other example of said character 'winning' or obtaining anything positive. It's all treated as a zero sum game.

You mean the 14 year old kid that became a sociopath and let his grandpa fix him back to normal after running away for a few weeks?

>stop being mad at people having opinions
Really?

Attached: Really.jpg (498x441, 39K)

Haven't you noticed how everyone is pretending their life sucks now, and how much they want to die, when their life actually painfully mediocre where nothing truly special happens?

Of course so many shows are trying to do just that now.

>Seriously, are there that many edgy 13 year olds that want animated adults to say, "IH DOEN MATDHA NIGGUH".
Yeah, depression and nihilism memes are super hip with the kids these days.

Attached: a7a2f40e0796315712c91ff1386c811d--haha-so-true-text-posts.jpg (736x646, 56K)

>I think existentialism and finding meaning in a post-modern, largely Godless, society is extremely pertinent to most people these days.
I believe this.

Attached: 1459754182119.png (500x375, 336K)

So, in conclusion - PRETENTIOUSNESS. SUCKS. ASS. Always learning something new everyday.

Thanks and fuck you too, Sup Forums.

Why the fuck is this horse always sad?

The reasons better be good. A kid out there in some third world country is being forced to sell him or her self to men at this moment.

Underrated post.

Most people I know between 20-40 are at least somewhat disillusioned with the state of the world and their place in it, which Rick and Bojack both exemplify in different ways. I've never thought of either show as trying to be "deep", profound or make some kind of philosophical statement, they're just tapping into the millennial zeitgeist. A lot of people are depressed, wasting potential and coping with it by getting fucked up regularly.

This might very well be the end result of tearing down former institutions that gave some kind of meaning and direction in peoples lives in favor of the self. I'd imagine most people really, well and truly do not know what to do with themselves never mind know what is necessarily moral or ethical and now with nothing to turn to they latch onto anything that offers some semblance of structure.

Come to think of it, BoJack isn't even remotely nihilistic. He's narcissistic: He craves validation and approval, and he attempts to find deep meaning in all sorts of crap. His nihilism is little more than sulking because his latest attempt at proving his worth didn't pan out, made worse by his penchant for self sabotage. And after every sulk he latches on to something else that he thinks will validate him.

Is mediocrity not the shitties way to live though?

I personally think so, but others would tell you different, and the really happy people dont seem to give a damn, So maybe im the idiot here.

This. Typical feelsjerk shit. We used to fap with our dicks, but now we fap with our hearts.

everyone thinks about important questions

if you don't then you're just less mentally active than everyone else. people write about it because they think about it, searching for meaning has been a subject since the origin of thought. maybe you'er just stupid op

>If the creators don't take their own 'deep' themes seriously enough to have them stand on their own merits why should the audience?
Good point, why should they? Why do you? 'Inauthentic', 'having their cake', come on.

It's not enough to just dislike something for being shit anymore. One must also prove that it's bad for society. So every shitty show with a fanbase represents an ideological battlefield and that's why you bring up others praising it. Why should we give a fuck what "the kids" on twitter or whatever think? Just call a show shit without dressing it up as ideologically poisonous.

By definition if something is mediocre that means there are many things that are worse

Eh, they ain't wrong.

What the fuck is going on in your head. Nothing in that post implied any of that. Its like you were so eager to make some pre-loaded 'point' you shot it off at the first opportunity whether or not it had anything to do with what was being said.

Because really, only like 5% of humanity is remembered or ever really makes a difference. And thats being VERY generous.

Ya live. Ya die. Ya rot. You're forgotten.

This. His nihilism is a coping mechanism. Whenever he fails at something or drives people away, he tries to convince himself that he never cared in the first place, which is a lie.

You were whining about the creators' intent in adding drama. If that wasn't your intention, you might wanna get better at making your point, because your post implied that the creators were attempting to shield themselves from criticism. And then oddly enough ask why these programs should be taken seriously, which is what prompted the rest.

>show about spaghetti strainers and dentist clowns triggers Sup Forums

beautiful

When has Bojack Horseman ever mentioned existentialism or nihilism?

It hasn't, Sup Forums just sucks now

These gags are a personal favorite
Agreed

Attached: F3B5B522-A92D-4FAE-B0B0-A98E1505CE13.png (865x1907, 2.65M)

>ree why do people care about things why can't everyone be a sociopath like me

>ree

Hey newfag.

So do furries exist in this universe? Do animals do human play?

Wouldn't that be more akin to blackface rather than what we'd define as furry?

Because depression/nihilism is the easy mode for writers to make "deep" stories.
>Wow this character wants to kill themselves!
>How profound, how edgy, how nuanced!
But then this gets them in the hilarious rut of constantly making the characters sad, depressed, etc. If you haven't noticed yet, every single season of Bojack has him constantly swinging back and forth between brief bouts of good moments and then deep depths of despair. Nobody's actually like this in real life. The writers are god damn hacks.

Attached: 1521262313668.gif (458x350, 474K)

>Nobody is like this in real life.

I mean it is a cartoon so its not trying to be true to life, but are you saying you've never met anyone who (in their mind at least) is a few peaks in an otherwise long duree of lows? That is like the stereotypical story of many celebrities who die young.

Why wouldn't the cartoon horse man be an exaggerated caricature of real life? It's easy to determine what sort of person he's loosely based on, and that in turn is dialed up to 11. That seems more entertaining for a made up story than making up a very realistic and therefor more mundane character.

I've met heaps of people like that in real life

You're retarded. Plenty of people are like that. Esp with access to drugs or alcohol. Notice how Bojack is normally only really happy when he's drunk or high as a kite? And of course he's going to feel like shit once he's sober. Bipolar disorder is also a thing.

creatively bankrupt
its really regressive people still do this

it was a late 90s - early 00s fashion
evangelion came out in 1995 and western retarded outdated cunts still think doing this shit in cartoon is new or something

There are scenes when humans wear animal costumes in the context of playing animal characters on a scene/in a movie, but no furries in sight

I think this is the only adult cartoon to handle the idea of god well.

Attached: show-image.jpg (660x240, 74K)

>I think I understand why people hold Japanese shit on such a high pedestal now.
because titties and fanservice, that's why

Evangelion was dope man
Existentialism hits kids the most.

>Japanese anime invented negative emotions

you are generalizing hard. general negative emotions and existentialism like "who am i" "theres a void between me and you/the world" are different.

the problem is western faggots still believe doing that shit in cartoon is cool or new. its been played out, pretty much a shitty cliche. existentialism isnt fashion tho. if you wanna do it today you need to seriously do it ALONE. not in your hugbox.

The animé industry has declined substantially. Only One Punch Man and My Hero Academy can be considered something like Naruto and FMA were, and even that's a stretch.

>show is about a person who makes shitty choices and instead of it being fixed by the next week, there are consequences
I never understood the hate for this show, it's pretty decent. I never understood the comparison to R&M, because in richard and mortimer, he gets away with shit, whereas in bojack, he's fucking called out for the shitty decisions he makes.

Attached: 1517049644281.png (1120x720, 1.17M)

>Japanese anime invented "Who am I?"

you have no idea what you are talking about and what existentialism means plus nobody vocalized "Invent". thats what you are telling yourself.

you might as well read kafka and kierkegaard first if you wanna know about existentialism

Dude, you're acting like anime is the only media to do it right
you sound retarded

>being this delusional and deflecting an argument.

i even recommended prominent WESTERN writer and thinker. you dont even understand what existentialism is. this is all i can do. read beckett along with them.

The guy before is not me faggot. You sound pretentious. Go back to r/iamverysmart