One night, Penguin caught a man cheating at cards and tortured him in front of the crowd...

>One night, Penguin caught a man cheating at cards and tortured him in front of the crowd. The man's friend retaliated by smashing a glass bottle apart and running the bottom deep into Cobblepot's left eye, which blinded him and giving him the appearance of always wearing a monocle. Penguin, having had his assailant blinded and thrown onto the Gotham Freeway at rush hour, sought the finest doctors to remove the glass, only to be told that the attempts to remove it would potentially kill him. Cobblepot eventually became content with it, and believed that it gave him a more "unique" look.

Why did this series tank so hard after the first game?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

A single fall or hit to the face would kill him really easily.

What happens if he gets an eye infection?

>look mom my stupid silver age gimmick villains is EDGY N KEWL!!!!!!!!!!
pathetic

The moral of the story is never make anything fun or good because whiny faggots will nitpick it for years afterward

Not as bad as how they wanted him to be a Cockney Guy Ritchie gangster and still have the Cobblepot Gotham legacy so they created the most contrived story in history where he was raised in Gotham but his dad sent him to English boarding schools but he ran away and hung out with Cockney gangsters and I guess they re-taught him how to talk.

You mean when, no way that thing isn't going to rot his face off.

It went from being a Batman story that could have been slotted anywhere to a universe that had to be built around the particular aesthetic of the first game

Capeshit in any media in a nutshell. So edgy it physically hurts.

Isn’t the first time they tried making a darker Penguin

Attached: DCD7605D-B263-417C-ABDA-8142D31E0E67.jpg (1440x1920, 278K)

god he was awful in the telltale series

Attached: Oswald_101.png (359x514, 315K)

It's silly but stylish Should hae had it removed by the third game and replaced with something more practical. I could see it as like, a short term thing. Also, it means batman can't punch you in the face or you might die

His voice was awful in Arkham City. It was still awful in Knight.

>attempts to remove it could potentially kill him
>doesn't saw off the fucking bottom of the bottle and just wear a regular monocle to cover it up

There's two giant problems I have with this dumb shit.

1. Cobblepot doesn't seem like the type of individual who would openly display his failures. Which this clearly is.

2. Cobblepot always tried to at least appear as an professional business man. He does not look this way with a fucking beer bottle jammed into his eye socket.

Why can't he just wear a monocle? It's classy and helps project the old school business tycoon look he goes for.

I'm surprised they didn't say the reason he wears a fur coat is because he was tared and feathered and it's literally his skin.

That's the stupidest character explanation I've ever read.

I want a Guy Ritchie cape film

Reminds of N.GIN from crash bandicoot

There's a part early on in city where you have to do this predator section with a bunch of penguin's goons. When it gets down to the very last guard discovering the other bodies he throws his gun on the ground and starts surrendering to you. When I first played through it I thought this was going to be an incredibly awesome new mechanic but nope, scripted

Did you see King Arthur? Not sure we need more.

No one saw King Arthur.

Good Lord that is stupid

I saw it. I liked when Ursula from the Little Mermaid turned Jude Law into Shao Khan from Mortal Kombat. Also those slow motion sequences were just awful.

>great character with decades of great stories to pull from
>has never been done justice with an adaptation
>writers """"""put their own spin on him""""""

Every fucking time with DC.

>i want my characters to be the same in everything i watch

I don't understand this

What's the point? Is a monocle too silly or something? Why write out this edgy backstory to justify an accessory?

I'm more annoyed they gave this and Telltale Penguin a non-american accent.
The dude's family are fucking city founding members.

That's stupid as fuck (although his behavior up until the last sentence checks out to me)

Maybe the fucker wants to wear a monocle because he's rich and monocles are the shit?

That is stupidly edgy

I watched a let's play compilation of that game.
It took me 30min in to realize that was what they're calling Penguin.
It is Halle Berry Catwoman levels of being off from the original idea.

That's the opposite of what I said, shit for brains. The character has not been adapted well once.

The fact that all the set ups laid out by City just got ditched (except for Scarecrow obviously) will forever leave me autistically butthurt at Knight.

>Hush was nothing
>Azrael was nothing
>Pregnant Harley was nothing

Hey FUCK YOU user! Hush and Azrael were totally original, amazing side quests with GREAT pay off you piece of shit!

>Pregnant Harley was nothing

DUDE! I forgot about that(and so did the writers apparently). That’s so fucking gay.

>that backstory
So fucking stupid.

Technically, they didn't forget about that. The Harley's Revenge DLC retconned her test to being a false positive.

There's a bunch of negative pregnancy tests in the Harley Quinn DLC for Arkham City, to offset the one positive one at the end of the story, so they did at least deliberately backpedal in-universe instead of just ignoring it. Still lame though.

>but it's ok when MGSV does it

>the reason he wears a fur coat is because he was tared and feathered and it's literally his skin.
Somebody skinned his balls and pubes and made a coat out of it.

>MGSV
what

Also

>Ra's learning the Detectives identity was nothing
>Calendar Man actually being interesting and being there "at the end" was nothing (no a bullshit cameo doesn't count)
>Hugo Strange and his impact was nothing

>Hush was nothing

Hush is always nothing, though.

>Why did this series tank so hard after the first game?
fell for the open world menes

Its a perma "wont hit a guy with glasses". The ultimate defense against Batman

MGSV at least made it look cool
This guy literally has a beer bottle in his stuck in his eye, that's just fucking silly

>MGSV at least made it look cool

no?

Yes

The game literally tells you he's faking the accent to sound smarter. Arkham Penguin is meant to be a fraud.

Like the first thing you hear from his goons is them speculating he takes the accent and his backstory

I still can't get over the logistics of this. Why would the assailant shove the bottle in neck first. Why would he be holding on to it from the base?
Yes.

It’s sad that Charlie Hunnam chose that over the Pacific Rim sequel, and he was still in the better movie.

How far deep is that glass.

>Cobblepot doesn't seem like the type of individual who would openly display his failures
>Cobblepot always tried to at least appear as an professional business man
I'm not defending the inexcusably retarded bottle-monocle, but misguided, gross or awkward attempts at style and class are absolutely within Penguin's character, whether it's the more savage versions (Batman Returns) or even ones where he is more of a gentleman (TAS) . It's arguably one of his most consistent traits across all incarnations.

Attached: 32.jpg (965x1518, 337K)

A lot of these complaints are fucking gay.

If someone pulls it off will he die?

The Pacific Rim sequel is shaping up to be just as bad and Del Toro was his buddy and wasn't involved in the sequel

It didnt tank. Little contrarian faggot

Ra's died.

having large nose is enough
Penguin doesn't need any other body horror modifications

Attached: 1519001830869.jpg (900x1250, 239K)

He technically survived if you played the Arkham knight dlc

That’s my point. King Arthur was not a good movie, and it’s still going to be better than Pacific Rim: We Totally Missed What Made the First One Good.

>The character has not been adapted well once.
I mean we can sit here and argue all day about whether or not the TAS, Batman Returns, Gotham, The Batman versions constitute good adaptations or not.
But the Burgess Meredith version was as perfect of an adaptation of Penguin as it got. He had some of the best episodes and he nailed the character's personality more so than any other actor in the show.

Attached: penguinmeredith.png (444x460, 407K)

So the guy... held the bottle by the BOTTOM, broke the neck of it off, and somehow managed to barehand jam it that fucking far into the skull of another human being?

...what?

Whats wrong with movie that isnt out yet? I miss something?

The fact that it completely negates half of the first movies physics, mechs and monsters just to insert
>YEAH SUPER MEGA FAST MECHS

nicely done

Attached: 1518939496481.jpg (550x406, 106K)

They replaced amazing cockpit set pieces with lifeless CGI and Boyega is a mediocre actor that can't headline.

Attached: tmp_5510-maxresdefault2083699629.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

Imagine looking at a midget gangster boss in a tuxedo, wearing a monocle and a tophat andusing an umbrella as a weapon and coming to the conclusion that he's just not gimmicky enough yet.

Plenty.

>Del Toro isn’t directing
>Threw out the script that Travis Beachman and Del Toro did have
>Boyega was cast as Penecost’s never before mentioned son before they had a new script
>Boyega was given a ton of creative control despite never having that level of responsibility before
>New Jaegers have none of the personality the ones from the first movie have
>New Jaeger cockpits are all CGI instead of Practical effects
>First commerical show had a Tupac song compared to the original’s “Canceling the Apocalypse”
>Scrapper, who is a “cute Jaeger” made and piloted solo by a teenaged girl

I could go on and on, but I think that’s enough to let you know that the people behind the new movie had no idea what made the first movie good.

Except your beat the shit out of Penguin in the Arkham games.

Jesus fuck. PR didn't even make that much money, how is it getting shafted this hard?

Batman hit him several times in both of the games he had it.

>PR didn't even make that much money
Exactly
All of the changes are made to be more appealing to general audiences.

It's gonna bite them in the ass pretty hard.

I want them to be faithful and more importantly well done... That doesn't mean I want a 1:1 translation, turdburger.

That would have broke that boy in half. They need him for his final Star Wars film.

>Scrapper, who is a “cute Jaeger” made and piloted solo by a teenaged girl

That one is the most repugnant. Jager that she likely built herself will come in to save Gypsy Danger.

Metal Gear Solid V

What kind of retard fakes a cockney accent to sound smart?

Batman hit a shitton of people in a way that should be lethal in the Arkham games. You can repeatedly run people over in the Batmobile in Knight and they're still "unconscious".

the glass bottle thing is really cool. It's a shame the last game in the series resorted to the overplayed trope of "LOOK AT THIS BRAND NEW GENERIC VILLAIN! THEY'RE TOTALLY NEW AND NOT A PAST ROBIN BACK FOR REVENGE AGAINST BATMAN!"

That sounds really interesting, I love new villains!

Jesus, THAT is the penguin? I like re-imagining tired old characters, but what about that is the penguin? How did a guy like that get a nickname like penguin to begin with? Does he at least have a weird umbrella cain or something?

He wears a penguin gas mask and a suit when committing violent crimes.

>Glassing the fucker with the BOTTOM of a bottle
Gothamites are retarded

It's a batman villain backstory. When have those ever been anything other than stupid? We have a range from "he's really into Alice in Wonderland" to "He got half-burned and his lucky coin got burned on one side too so he lets the coin decide who dies" to "he's half crocodile from a skin condition lel".

>Is a monocle too silly or something?
No, but they wanted something that was new, and a classic monocle isn't new. It's not "how do we adapt the penguin as cleanly and simply as possible", it's "We have a gritty new spin on Batman, how can we justify getting close to the original Penguin without literally copying and pasting the entire character wholesale?".

>That's stupid as fuck (although his behavior up until the last sentence checks out to me)
To be fair it's from batman's POV, for all we know Penguin actually fucking hates it but as we know he's a coward and pretending he likes it is the easiest way to get people to not mock him for it. Pretending he's fine with it and even likes it now means other people can't shit on him for it.

It's hilarious how most of these attempts to make a campy premise edgy or realistic end up having the complete opposite effect by making them seem even more ridiculous.

The Penguin. He's trying to be gangster but he isn't black, and cockney suits him to that end.

he could have been on some bane-juice or some shit, the last thing you should be surprised about in batman anymore is character strength.

I have no idea why people bitch so much about this, it is entirely within the retarded try-hard aesthetic Rocksteady established in the first game. The Arkham series were always great Batman games but always, ALWAYS terrible Batman stories.

It's on me for caring but so much of this series is colored by this character for me. Months upon months upon months of hype and buildup of, "It's not who you think it is!" followed by a reveal of "It's exactly who you think it is! Got you!"

Just fucking stupid.

Attached: 1508732471810.jpg (640x893, 73K)

>When have those ever been anything other than stupid?

-Catwoman
-Killer Croc
-Scarecrow
-Hugo Strange
-Harley Quinn
-Mister Freeze

At least by cape standards.

The only one on that list that I'd call decent was harley quinn, and that's probably the nostalgia in me speaking.

Yeh, you are supposed to break it on the middle, stab the fucker and then twist the bottle, while changing the angle of it.
That's how you stab someone.

Nobody cares what you think, my list is O B J E C T I V E L Y which villains' backgrounds are NOT stupid.

"muh skin condition that makes me look like a crocodile and makes me super tall and buff gives me superstrength"

sure, kiddo, those are great backstories.

you just now realize that?

at least he went for the eyes

>and makes me super tall and buff gives me superstrength
That's not given by his skin condition.
Get the backstories right first.

Harley is never going to recover from what the Arkham series did to her. That is much worse than a stupid Penguin origin.

Attached: 1508248178976.jpg (1024x576, 322K)

What's the big deal? Kids entertainment doesn't need to be super serious, it's just fucking batman.