So Sup Forums just told me it's a cartoon, but what do you think Sup Forums...

So Sup Forums just told me it's a cartoon, but what do you think Sup Forums, is Avatar: The Last Airbender a cartoon or anime?

Asking for a friend...

Attached: c76c0b2a-63d7-4640-8d9e-87707ce558e8.jpg.w960.jpg (960x540, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

crunchyroll.com/rwby-volume-1-3-the-beginning-japanese-dub
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its american as is therefore a cartoon

Anime is just what japs call cartoons.

Its a cartoon with an animesque artstyle.

Is it made in Japan?
>Anime

Is it made in an English speaking country?
>Cartoon

It's not that difficult.

It's a cartoon due to its western creation, just as Panty and Stocking (With Garterbelt) is an anime despite being heavily westernized.

1. All anime is made by Japanese creators
2. Not all anime looks like sailor moon or dbz
Pointy chins and big eyes =/= anime

It's a cartoon, not an anime. An anime means it's from japan, it's an American made show, therefore it's a cartoon.

This is wrong

Is it made in Japan?
>Anime

Is it made anywhere else?
Cartoon

this

It’s a cartoon. As is Korra.

We have discussions about the shows here.

I just call anything animated a cartoon. American, Japanese or otherwise. It's what I did as I kid and I don't really see any reason to change for what always comes down to personal preference.

What about korean anime?

It's a cartoon that's anime inspired.

>discussion

Attached: 1497043108434.jpg (251x251, 14K)

Because there are only two types of countries, those that are English speaking and Japan

The distinction between anime and cartoons is completely arbitrary. If people commonly refer to an animated work as an anime then it is an anime, regardless of country of origin.

Depends on what the mods feel like on any particular day.

Anime fans get super upset when you call an anime a cartoon for some reason

It's a South Korean animated series written by Americans.

Anime is the Japanese word for animation.
they use it for everything, to them Family guy and Dragon Ball are both anime.
So if your speaking Japanese, then yes Avatar is an anime.
If your speaking English, then no. Our definition of Anime is "Japanese animation"

It's like if you called Rolling Rock "sake".
In Japan "sake" just means "alcohol", which is used for all types.
In English our word for "sake" is restricted to just rice wine (In Japanese they call rice wine "nihonshu")

Attached: korra (12).jpg (850x544, 150K)

>If the art is slightly detailed it HAS to be an anime

Non-English speaking countries have other names for cartoons, I don't keep track of all the different translations.

I mean, ya, Sup Forums is a catch-all for anything that's not-Asian(Korean and Chinese is Sup Forums aren't they?), but I'm sure the French use another word other than "cartoon".

>implying that's not true at least for animation

No.

I'm sure everything was designed in the west, but the actual animation was done in South Korea.

>Avatar isn't an anime

It might as well be

No regrets for that YGO:TAS reference

Still means work directly related to the animation of the show, ex. storyboards etc., were done in the west + feels retarded to eliminate the country of origin as though it just came out of nowhere from South Korea and its connection to the west is just a technicality.

Especially considering I'm pretty sure some anime is also animated by South Korean studios, and yet no one would debate over whether those "really" count as anime or not if they were created/written/everything else in Japan.

it's a fuck off and stop making these threads.

Funily enough in my country (France) "cartoon" used to be used specifically for American animation, more specifically old cartoon shorts like Looney Tunes or comedic cartoons like The Simpsons. We used a word in our own language (dessin animé) for non-American western cartoons.
These days though, people just call everything "anime" regardless of origin.

Attached: Yannick-Zicot.jpg (470x318, 28K)

Which gives you a glimpse into how good the American animation industry could be if mummies weren't in charge.

The only thing in AtlA that other cartoons should take notes on is fight choregraphy.
The rest really doesn't scream "how good things could be" except if you really like anime.

>The only thing in AtlA that other cartoons should take notes on is fight choregraphy.
>The rest really doesn't scream "how good things could be"
Thi-
>except if you really like anime.
Oh fuck. What a great post, utterly ruined.

I meant if your idea of good is superficially and poorly aping anime tropes. I didn't mean it's good by anime standards.

Avatar did an amazing job at storytelling and conveying character motivations in a way that was compelling and engaging. I could take or leave the art style and fight choreography. Every episode added something to make the world feel alive while contributing to building the characters or setting stakes.

Want to know how I know you don't watch anime?

That's literally the opposite of my point there. If someone likes anime, why would they like a poor imitation of it?

It makes them feel more adult.

I wasn't aware the nation of Japan was arbitrary. Silly me, I guess.

>Avatar did an amazing job at storytelling
No. Fuck no. I've never seen a show write itself in corners and set itself for failure so much. Episode by episode the writing is good enough, but they clearly planned a lot of their plot threads poorly

Character motivations were all over the place and cliché as fuck. They were generally conveyed well enough, I'll give you that, but with no subtlety.

>Every episode added something to make the world feel alive while contributing to building the characters
Except all the episodes that didn't, like the one where Katara is suddenly an ecoterrorist, or when they had no clue how to pad out book 3 so Sokka gets a level in seriousness and a sword that both amount to nothing because he had already had that character development a season earlier.

>setting stakes
Exactly the problem when it all ends in "fuck the stakes lol, Avatar State returns for no raisin, Aang wins, no compromise, nothing lost, and oh he gets the gir"l because we're a cartoon.

And the worldbuilding has issues too. Stupid lazy combo animal names are basically taunting your suspension of disbelief. The concepts are just a bastardization of Eastern philosophies, hippie tier "dude Buddhism".

I understood your point.
Because they're that tier of weeb who thinks the best the west could do is ape anime poorly.

But what if you're French?

Tell me user, what cartoon does a better job of any of that in your oh-so-esteemed opinion?
>inb4 Sup Forums

Is that really your only defense? Deflecting criticism and trying to find how you could attack what I think is good?
Can't you at least try to explain why the glaring flaws with the story that are constantly posted in these threads are "amazing storytelling"?

user... I actually agree with you pretty much completely on Avatar. I'm not really defending it.
My question is what you are doing on this board, if there is no cartoon that you could really enjoy.

There are lots of cartoons I enjoy. Hell I enjoy Avatar (and as I said I think the fight choregraphy is pretty stellar), I think it's alright overall, but I get autistically contrarian when it's paraded as something to emulate for being 10/10 when it has flaws that should be avoided even by beginner writers.

Is RWBY an anime? It's subbed on Crunchyroll

crunchyroll.com/rwby-volume-1-3-the-beginning-japanese-dub

>There are lots of cartoons I enjoy.
I'd be really curious if you could name some, and explain why you think they're better than ATLA at least in those specific aspects.

Yeah, that sounds like a whole thing where we're going to have to go back and forth on each show I name for each thing for dozens of posts, so I'm not going to bother with that.

So you only want minimal cartoon discussion on the cartoon discussion board?

I ask you again: why are you here?

Lots of cartoons do lots of things well, this is a vague as fuck topic based on a vague as fuck opinion-based premise .
I come here to talk about cartoons when the topic appeals to me. It doesn't appeal to me to give you a lecture about what cartoons I think you should emulate on each aspect of cartoon production just so you can go "nuh-huh".

Well, sure, you're free to shitpost here. I'm also free to tell you that the likes of you are fucking up this board by making it dull and repetitive as fuck.

I post about shit I like all the time. I'm not going to bother here because you're clearly looking to just disagree with something, which is the whole point of "X is better than Y" discussions. I've talked about aspects I like and I don't like of the show that's the topic of this thread, you've been nothing but passive aggressive in response while contributing nothing yourself while asking me to just follow along with whatever you want to talk about.
Go suck a lemon, buddy.

Attached: Les_Bidochon_BBQ.jpg (628x593, 104K)

See >(dessin animé)

It's a cartoon with heavy anime influence

Both. For fuck's sake.