/hyw/ How's Your Webcomic? #465

Surprise Bitch! I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me edition

Previous thread: Thread Question: What webcomics do you read?

> /hyw/ CONTACT SHEET - add your webcomic site, contact information, etc
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

> Not an official /hyw/ DISCORD CHAT
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

> DRAWING PRACTICE and TUTORIALS
Ctrlpaint.com
drawabox.com/
line-of-action.com/
quickposes.com/en

> STOCK IMAGES and REFERENCE
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/
Character Design: pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

> FONTS
Blambot: blambot.com/
Create your own: calligraphr.com

> WEBSITE
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do's and Dont's for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
Promoting your comic: miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

> ART and WRITING RESOURCES
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

> PODCASTS and VIDEOS
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
John Cleese on Creativity: youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
Capeworld's Podcast: youtube.com/channel/UC4QSk9zbGdHsg4-jgCFFF7w

Attached: hyw1.jpg (1200x1165, 325K)

Other urls found in this thread:

witchwayswitch.com
tapas.io/series/witchwayswitch
strawpoll.me/15324150/r
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Back after 5 or six lost saves, two to four photoshop crashes, and the psychiatic ward after eating an entire house cat... Is the late entry from Edspear and Capeworld.

Part One of the Alice and Vryka Magic Show and Swimsuit Fisticuffs Review.

Attached: Alice-Vs-Vryka-Part-1Small.png (1785x4676, 3.57M)

I hope you guys enjoy it, and in all seriousness, sorry for being late...

I wouldn't blame myself or anyone if that turns out to be a factor in the judging.

Anyways. Off to work on my webcomic.

Attached: Alice-Vs-Vryka-Part-2Small.png (1768x5192, 3.98M)

None outside the ones I've found in the discord channel. West Tree is trash.

>What webcomics do you read?

Scrap & Topheavy
Death Crusade
Erma
A Tale of Two Rulers

let it die

Not until I start making money off my comic

that one that goes nYYAAAmo, NYAAAMo, nyaaa-something
So glad my suggestion paid off. It looks really good.

Ahh i love it!! Their interaction was great, she definitely would blabber on if she found someone who speaks her language (she’s been gone for a long time).

I've been trying out a few ways I want to implement the draconic text into the comic, but I've think you reached the same conclusion

Attached: I've got better things to do tonight than die.jpg (320x240, 65K)

Was the house cat okay?

I also forgot to mention Stones of Anarchy

Attached: IMG_20180319_221145303.jpg (2592x3071, 775K)

Ava's Demon, Please Forgive Me!!! (and by extension It Hurts!!), Prequel but I sort of don't count it due to how often it updates (which is to say not very.), and Camp Weedonwantcha (which I have no idea if it's concluded or if it's on hiatus).

And probably quite a few others I could name but it needs to be a little less midnight.

And additionally, slowly but surely, some of the stuff I see from around here.

Attached: Sailor Pasqualo Aurora.png (670x614, 107K)

How do you mean? Hand drawing it or the putting english between karats?

I would like to mention I've had a similar experience with making custom runes into a font. Pic related. It was from an old quest i participated in on /tg/.

I used a website called fontstruct. Basically an online font maker, though it does so through little blocks of shapes (round corners, right triangles, squares half or quarter squares). So I do not know how well it would accommodate your Arabic style vowel notation symbols. the site does provide a pretty good list of glyphs you can make symbols for so who knows.

Attached: Cyclopean-tarot-promotional.png (1072x1310, 279K)

I would also like to say I absolutely adore your Draconic Alphabet. It creates some very appealing looking words!

Here was my quick "For Reference" take on the lovely language picture you sent Capeworld.

It has been fun drawing your character user. Sorry about the lateness once again.

Attached: file.png (1533x1140, 282K)

Finished this page!

I love how neptunia came out panel 11

As for webcomics i read, I like to read Penny arcade, Raven's dojo, and my fellow friends at freak animes webcomics!

Attached: page 20.png (2250x3300, 2.28M)

Let me know if... I'm getting like any of this right at all.

Attached: file.png (1158x953, 128K)

I like how she looks in panel 5. reminds me of Goo from Gumby

Here's the final page of those thumbnails. I think the biggest issue is finding a good "punchline" to end on without dragging the scene on too long.
I read a lot of manga and I feel like it shows through my character interactions and joke delivery, which isn't necessarily bad but I do wanna avoid the "character blankly states the punchline" that japanese humor tends to do.

Attached: test thumbnail v3.png (1476x2264, 1.07M)

Without dialogue it's hard to judge. I do agree that reaction punchlines are awful, but at least in manga they tend to be more of a "rimshot" than a punchline. Things typically go on afterwards (or there is a punchline in addition to the reaction). If anything it's webcomics (Particularly from about a decade ago) that rely too heavily on reactions as a-
>rereads what you said
Oh you weren't talking about reaction punchlines, you said blankly-stating-the-punchline. Yeah that's a tightrope-walk and a half. If done just right, it can floor me when I read it, but there has to be just the right bit of emotion to it. Ideally the blankly-stating-it aspect comes from their genuine emotional reaction, like being just blown away by events, or else so exhausted they are sick of the shit.

New Witchway's Witch!

witchwayswitch.com
tapas.io/series/witchwayswitch

Attached: 20-page-1.png (940x1424, 584K)

How'd I do?

Attached: swords16tb.png (700x871, 408K)

From the last thread, I hope you don't mind me asking again, not sure if you saw:

I really like your webcomic, good stuff.
Somebody mentioned that you are paying Nyamo for his work. I'm also contemplating hiring an artist atm and was wondering if you could tell how much you're paying per page (even just the rough ballpark, so I can get an idea what my budget needs to be but also to get a reference point for what quality I can demand for x amount of $). I realize this is a kind of personal Information so if you can't say, that's totally fine.

Make a site allready!

I pay $40 per b&w page / cover page / etc., but that's the fee I offered to everyone here when I was looking for an artist last September.

You can also check out /aco/s commission threads for a better idea on what they'd charge - and most of their drawfriends are fairly decent and quick to respond from what I'm told.

I mean figuring out what's the best way to include multiple languages. I'm no linguistics expert but I do like exploring fantasy tongues. I can either go full Tolkien weaboo and make up my own language (words) that’s use the alphabet which then has to be translated to English....

Or I could borrow / use an existing one (like an Indic language) and just use my characters on Indic words through google translate.

Or I go the most transparent route (not trying to confuse readers after all), and just have the draconic text replace English letters and use English words.

If I get around to structuring these interactions correctly, it would be mostly when talking b/w two dragons, and then English peppered with “draconic words” that I either have to make up or borrow from Indic.

Pic related is a small change that would happen if I switch to Indic language.

Attached: F52D3B77-018A-4164-AF23-571148A0200F.jpg (300x184, 13K)

Appealing is what I was going for. And something that would let me make runic like symbols for enchantments etc. I have another language (for an avian race) that is pretty established. Except for the same language question.

Mostly correct, and keep in mind this is still in development. What I have now is read bottom up, left to right. So any word starting with a vowel will have the vowel just left of the first consonant.

For duing vs doing it depends if I am using the English language or not...
I’m also exploring how to combine vowels (and maybe consonants like th) as you see in the first d(ui)ng example.

Attached: DC1A39C0-F5E8-43A7-94CD-17D8AA9467BB.jpg (300x555, 42K)

I'm terrible at coloring anons so please, which one is less terrible?

Attached: fuggg1.png (1986x1380, 1.11M)

I see, thanks a lot.
I couldn't afford something like that atm, I'd run out of budget after a dozen pages ha ha. I assumed going rates were a bit more forgiving for b&w and that comissioning the lineart and then doing the coloring myself would be feasible - though I'm sure it's a fair compensation when looking at the time the artist invests.
My only hope would be to make a solid first chapter and then quickly create a kickstarter or patreon to finance the second chapter but that seems like a huge gamble. It would really depend on finding an artist who's interested in making a webcomic himself but those types will usually just go ahead and make their own projects so it's a difficult situation...

Attached: image.jpg (1178x1078, 730K)

Heyo! I've been off this place for too long, someone reached me on my blog to inform me the swimsuit thing was over and Midori lost the voting. I said before that I would do the submission pages preemptively but the truth is I got hooked up with some stuff and only did two pages out of the three planned and they're not even coloured, so you'll have to give me a little bit of time so I can finish them.
Posting those unfinished pages, promise to deliver by weekend.

Attached: WIP.png (600x1685, 299K)

>Nyamo and Mitch dropped out despite winning the vote
>Earthfield got told he lost and made a losing image
So who the fuck won?

Wait, what? All I was told is that I lost, so I assumed I was supposed to submit the defeat pages, which I had them half ready because I was sure as hell I wasn't going to win the contest.
Swimsuit manager, if you're there, can you clear it up for me? I'm hitting the sack now because I'm tired af. You can drop a pm on my blog too if you want, I'll read it once I wake up.

on the right

>tfw ColdFusion starts leaving comments on my comic site
I'm tempted to just ban him before he pulls some retarded shit like he did with Raccoon Girl

> like he did with Raccoon Girl
Can you explain?

He REEEEEE’d once some non-straight character action showed up

If you have enough readers, they'll dogpile any signs of wrongthink and let you keep your hands clean

>Thread Question: What webcomics do you read?
Just like last thread; I really enjoy Jasper Gold, Loading Artist, Kiwi Blitz, Lackadaisy, Monster Pulse, Kevin & Kell, Deathbulge, Doll Fever and Colony Corps.
As for my own, I'm trying to think up something for the 50th page.

I'm trying to develop a stocky character that hunts giants. Ideas for medieval weaponry that would be effective in the situation? Would a bow and arrows be too much like Shadow of the Colossus?

Nah dude, bows and arrows are great weapons to fight giants, unless you want your characters climbing them like Colossus.

crossbows

I kind of wanted that to happen though. If I retained the bow but gave him a different melee weapon other than a sword would that suffice? He's not a human and the story has a more monster hunter vibe.

>He's not a human and the story has a more monster hunter vibe.
Then matey... go nuts, insect glaive and horn aside, any of the other weapons could fit in your medieval setting and do well.

Sounds good. But I just thought of something. Does there exist some kind of onehanded tool/weapon that would be both good for combat and climbing? Like short hookswords and shit. Or even shorthandled axes if the blade was designed a specific way. I'm just brainstorming here.

Yes, one handed swords are a thing, and since this is a fantasy setting hookswords wouldn't be out of place. Hell, your character could use two of them to scale the giant while hurting it in the process.

Spiked Nets / Wire attached to trees or cravices depending on the size of the giants
Catapults firing projectiles filled with glue-type or flamable material
Large pikes wielded by a dozen or more men
Any kinds of ground type traps that will make the giants slip or lose Balance
long-lined kites attached to their bodies that will conduct ligthning when passing under rain clouds

Attached: image.jpg (1536x1857, 454K)

DONT HUNT THE GIANTS! THEY JUST WANT A NICE HOME TO LIVE IN! PLS TRY TO TALK TO THEM!

Definitely some kind of pick or an axe with a spike on the back. There are such things as ice axes used in climbing.

This is all really cool damn. The more I think about it, I could have the protag be finding out different methods throughout the journey to tackle different types of giants. Like the netting trap might work on one but another may be out in an empty area where there wouldn'tbe efficent terrain to surprise/trap it.

I completely forgot about Kama, which are pretty similar to your example. Two of those with thick blades would be perfect I feel.

>this is all really cool
Thanks. As a writer I try to work on my stories and scripts every day even though I have not yet found an artist to collab with. The fact that Nyamo and others managed to do so gives me hope.

You actually won Earthfield. Midori did lose the voting but Mitch and Nyamo dropped out.
Sorry about the confusion.

Alright, here we go then! Cute vs Sexy, Croatoan vs Dragon, Otto and Edspear vs Vela....

ALICE

VS

VRYKA

strawpoll.me/15324150/r

Attached: Starfire vs Kitten.jpg (480x360, 17K)

Is there a link to Vela's submission or am I blind?

It was in the last thread. Anyone got a link?

I got you senpai.

Not an easy decision this time. Vela's got some really cool looking scenes like that with the giant angel illusion and Vryka protecting herself with rock, but the physical stuff doesn't have much impact or weight. Edspear's got a more simple, cartoony style and I got to admit I like it even if its not as detailed as Vela's. It's just so damn expressive. And I liked the while conversation between Alice and Vryka. It gave insight to their characters and world and was cute as fuck. But Edspear and Otto were also late with their entires so I got to take that into consideration as well.

Any thoughts thread?

trannybooy!!!!!!

Furries aren't allowed to answer the thread question.

What is your opinions of the other webcomic regulars who post in these threads? Is there guys that you wanted to see improve on their work?

I'm really looking forward to Capeworld's Stardust stuff. It looks interesting and I hope he won't drop it like the Caveman comic.

I guess we would want to see everyone improve their work, but there are some who don't, can't or won't improve no matter how much advice is given to them.

Better to focus on the ones who do genuinely want to improve and grow rather than waste time thinking about the ones that don't.

>you will never ride in an animate cauldron
waa

I voted Alice because I like girls with big hats and I thought the rune lullaby spell was clever. If you can't overcome your opponent in strength, talk them into defeat.

if sarcastic disapproval with fatalistic "oh well, it's a webcomic" is reeing, you are oversensitive
that said, I will stop commenting. I know you don't like me. I just liked what I saw and wanted to help with the two-right-hands mistake I spotted.
I'm still gonna read it until you add trannys, because I like your work a lot. Always have, since the first time you posted and we had those fun discussions about monster people.

first few that come to mind
>dewd
the funny bantz in his comic makes me wish it was readable, he'd be a good comedy comic artist if he actually tried
>trannyboooooi!!!!!
needs better writing and better anatomy. I don't care if hes taking too much from oda, I can tell his comic would be a fun ride if he could actually draw.
>WWW
he gets a bit lazy with his background art, but his stuff is really fun to read

there's a cool and downright inspiring youtube channel that talks about the best weapons for mythological creatures. if I could find it I'd link you but it's not hard to find yourself as it's a big channel. If you look up like "is such and such castle from game of thrones realistic" you'll see it. He's like the non-autistic equivalent of people who wonder if things in fiction are realistic and then check.

Who is www?

whichways witch. I don't remember if mitch is the artist or just the writer.

Skallagrim right? I've literally just found him and have been binging a bunch of his videos. He even had one specifically about fighting giant monsters and the conclusion was ranged and if need be stabbing weapons/axes. He's actually got some good content.

He is a writer.

>Best weapons for mythological creatures
Aw man that sounds cool. Please link it if you can.

A giant hypodermic.

No seriously. Either make it a big spear-like object or one of those primitive Chinese artillery things from Mulan. You hold it against the skin and fire.

Why try and bleed out a giant by stabbing the vitals when you can just stab them once in a vein, inject a lot of poison, and come back in a day or two when it's dead?

If you're the size of a mosquito why not fight like a mosquito?

Mitch is the writer.

Let's have a good match Vela!

Yeah this one is very evenly-matched. I'm happy to see the votes are very even, they should be.

Come on man, six of them have nothing to do with furries.

not skallagrim but that sounds cool. It was uhh.. lemme look it up
Shadiversity. That was it.

also, I remember reading once (on the Straight Dope I think?) that the beneficial aspect of the square-cube law is that larger creatures have increasingly difficult to penetrate skin, so all this piercing and needle stuff might not work. Like apparently it would be almost impossible to hurt a tyrannosaurus with any bullets short of anti-tank guns. But then reptiles have scutes so it might be different on a giant. but if he's wearing scaled-up leather armor he's going to be totally protected from a poke.

I was kicked out from discord but I still have some art wanted to share with them.

Pic related is scanned version of fanart of Milly from www.

Attached: Milly.jpg (689x948, 60K)

Next is fanart for Laserwing user. I finally catched up to LW. It's my favorite comic from
people I know from webcomic communities so far.

Attached: Matt&Lina.jpg (644x887, 59K)

I'm told that's what witch's brooms were originally for. Just gettin' it reeeeallly up there after coating with some hallucinogenic drugs.

Given its style, it makes sense that would be your favorite. I need to make some laserwing fanart too.

And entry for march's event. I really enjoyed drawing this outfit.

Attached: Yumi.jpg (644x887, 46K)

You got banned?

who's that outfit trade with?
Been to the discord lately?

Shut the fuck up cold fusion

Not really, why?

Why did you get kick out?

yeah. for comparing muslims to nazis.
>who's that outfit trade with?
with Luuvy character I don't know the name of. Again, I really like it. It looks like succubuss and bunny girl fusion.

someone find me a wannabe naruto "shounen" webcomic from one of the various comic-hosting sites so I can point and laugh at it

Hmmm....maybe a combination manual drill and giant hypodermic? It should be possible with Roman technology.

If its hard to penetrate the skin then it should be harder for the giant monsters to feel it. So the mosquito analogy works even more. You creep up on the monster, drill, inject, and leave.

I just love you more every day

FUCK OFFFFF COLDFUSION

Somehow I don't feel motivated to do this, but Element is one of the best shounen manga webcomics I've seen in a long time
Ooh that would do it. A superheated drill AND poison.

I don't want good ones

Hey folks,

I edit for a Youtube channel, and my boss wants me to start writing/animating skits to play ahead of the videos. He wants them to be 1-2 minutes long, but I'm thinking they'd be a minute at most.

I'm not sure how to approach the writing. I have a character (old man who plays video games, its a gaming channel) and a way to animate him, but not a format for writing that I can do everyday. I edit a video everyday, so I need a shtick that gives me a lot of room to work with, and that is dialogue heavy.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some cartoons or comics that might give me ideas? The channel itself is kid friendly, but I've pulled ideas from non-kid-friendly sources as well.

okay so you actually want a shitty one.
I suggest you go to someplace like the belfry, or check out the comicgenesis forums, and just look for something that hasn't updated since 2005.

the old man from 8-bit theater was hilarious. How old is this guy? Also do you have a voice for him?
I find the best inspiration is things that follow patterns, such as Statler and Waldorf. They get your brain in that mood to see something and immediately try reacting in a funny way.

He's comically old, I think we did a gag where he was over 100. My boss has a voice for him, he's on camera most of the time.

Yeah, I'm looking for a pattern that I can get a lot of jokes out of. I considered having the old man tell made up stories about the family, but I'm not sure about that now. My boss sent me an example from another channel, but it's all Youtube cringe humor, and it's mostly live action.

Oh my. Who drew this?

>Spoiler
Well you aren't wrong. Like at all.

I might write a little story about the concept. A god finds out some great human warrior is killing giants and so comes down to challenge whoever he is for the best fight ever only to discover that the great giant killer is just a small dude that slowly finds a vein, slowly drills with an Alexandrian steam powered drill, then uses a pump to slowly inject poison. He's also sickly because of all the horrible toxins he's been exposed to.

What do you think?

Oh, and thanks for the tips!

Finished this page!

I've been saving that line in panel line for Angel for SO long.

Attached: page 21.png (2250x3300, 2.29M)

Okay that's perfect then. Immerse yourself in Grandpa Simpson and similar characters.

Attached: 010425[1].jpg (612x936, 167K)

I'm back, and have tons of free time. Here's a new page of Neon Star.

Attached: Neon Star EP2PG2.png (3570x4620, 3.02M)