Rocko's Modern Life

Can we take a moment to appreciate the sheer amount of fiendishly subtle adult references the writers snuck into this show?

Rocko named his pet goldfish Lolita.

Attached: 1394903633317.png (471x343, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youngmenshealthsite.org/askus/turn-and-side-cough/
youtu.be/5vLDMaJ-qY8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I love that image. A high-quality Heffer.

The show had been long off the air by the time it finally hit me how many masturbation jokes were in the show. I have no idea how those fucking madmen got away with it.

Yeah. They couldn't get away with Chokey Chicken forever though, had to change it to Chewey Chicken.

Mrs. Bighead also gets her bra ripped off by an autistic pet bird.

>Lolita
Nigger in High School that was one of the book EVERYONE had to read in Senior Year English. Either that or The Color Purple.
Not exactly an "adult reference"

Attached: 0GHAT.png (320x240, 155K)

Jackhammering and Spunky stuck around, though.

Seriously? Man, everyone had wildly different high school experiences. I had to read Tess of D'Urbervilles. No one has even heard of that book.

Granted I'm 28 so that was over ten years ago that I was in high school.
They probably don't make High School kids read Lolita NOW. But they did when Rocko was airing.
I only have the meme version of this image.

Attached: 0buns.jpg (640x480, 41K)

Attached: 1415767740995.jpg (785x594, 84K)

The show was aimed at kids 11 and younger.

I turned 31 yesterday.

But I get your point.

>subtle

Attached: rocko_adult.jpg (1368x1254, 456K)

>>High school kids are adults
Don't believe Tumblrs lies

This show was demented.

Are there any interviews with the showrunners? I'd genuinely love to know how they managed to get these fucking obvious jokes on the air.
"NO MORE SPUNKY IN MY SALMON BUSHES!"

The Nick censors grew up in the 40's and did not understand the references at the time

Anyone catch those NSFW: Nick Shows were Freakin' Weird segments?

It's shitty that they hype the adult humor that kids didn't catch, but refuse to release the shows, like Rocko, uncensored.

For season 2 one of the Nick execs asked Joe Murray to ass a female character that could potentially be a love interest, They said "someone with a hook"

>someone with a hook

Attached: smug_bruce.jpg (652x573, 156K)

another thing to appreciate is how many people in the industry got their start on this show

>Rocko and Heffer stay in a love motel, and the desk clerk is amazed that they were going to be there all night
>Rocko works as a 900 number operator, with Bev Bighead calling
>Bev Bighead trying to sleep with Rocko episode
>Eye doctor holds Rocko's eyes and asks him to cough
>Board game Spank the Monkey
>Rocko's car gets raped in an impound lot
>Chameleon brothers come from the country of Balsac

Attached: phone-operator-job-photo-u1.jpg (650x418, 34K)

>Eye doctor holds Rocko's eyes and asks him to cough

Explain.

youngmenshealthsite.org/askus/turn-and-side-cough/

Eye-BALLS user.

Fuck, the dev team of Rocko's Modern Life sounded like the dream job for a while. Get shit done, make good shit, have fun time doing it.

There's a picture somewhere of their office, it was like a comfy dorm setup, a couch, cereal boxes sitting around, etc. I can't find it though.

Any news about the upcoming movie?

youtu.be/5vLDMaJ-qY8
Agreed seems like it would be a nice job, I recall Murray saying on his reddit AMA a few years ago that he had a better time working with CN, though. Makes me wonder how much different and better it was

Yes they have, and I read it as a sophomore and not even for school.

I always appreciated how characters in this show grew over time, like how Filburt ended up getting married and having kids, or how Mr. Bighead ended up strengthening his relationship with his wife and son after treating them both like shit for years. Rocko's Modern Life is one of those shows that really was a great show for adults, but not just because they snuck masturbation jokes everywhere.

From what I've read that was the atmosphere for a lot of animation teams in the 90s.

>someone with a hook

Everytime I hear that story it slays me

Attached: 1516573329713.jpg (446x636, 58K)

Spunky is an actual word though, spunk and its adjective form just meant plucky and motivated before it became a euphemism for cum. The jackhammering could be dismissed as a weird sports fad in a wacky cartoon, except for all the j/o euphemisms they'd attach to the events

what fucking high school did you go to where you were assigned to read books that introduce themes of juvenile rape on the first fucking page?

Anybody else buy this bullshit by mistake? I picked it up a year or two ago only to discover that it's the censored cut that they run on NickToons TV, not the original uncut versions of the episodes from the 90s.

So no Rocko pinching the bear's wiener, no Heffer getting a blowjob from the suck-o-matic, no Heffer and Rocko getting a room at a no-tell motel, etc. It was sanitized.

Fuck Shout Factory.

Attached: 61vToSWYk8L.jpg (354x500, 64K)

...georgia?

damn. I guess my initial reaction was shock, but that's actually pretty baller than your program permitted you to read those, they're both great books

It’s pretty common for students in high school to have to read some controversial book. I mean at what point do you consider Lolita to be appropriate reading material?

The coughing bit fucking kills me

Shit, I have had it for a while yet have not watched all the episodes yet. Do they air the uncut versions on NickSplat? I know NickSplat airs uncut eps of Ren and Stimpy at times...

Uncut Rocko hasn't been broadcast in the US since the late 90s/early 00s. The videos of the uncut scenes on youtube are all shit quality because no good source for the uncut footage is out there.

I heard it wasn't Shout Factory's fault. Nickelodeon told them that they could either release the edited versions of the episodes or nothing at all, so they chose to release the censored versions. Problem was they didn't put that in any of their advertisements that the DVDs were censored, which was a shitty thing for them to do.

I think anybody should be able to read anything whenever, I'm just surprised a school assigned it. You hear all these news stories about school districts banning Huck Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird because they say nigger a bunch, I'd have imagined books that prominently feature little girls getting sexually assaulted would be verboten too

The episode where they make their own cartoon was the best meta episode of any cartoon, as much as I love teen titans go it hasn't been able to match it in that regard.

To be fair, the book's not exactly something you'd reference in a kid's show.

This guy shows up and asks for some cheese.

What do, Sup Forums?

Attached: mr squid.jpg (480x360, 12K)