I'm from /tg/, so please forgive if this is a stupid thread outside of Sup Forums's scope or boundaries

I'm from /tg/, so please forgive if this is a stupid thread outside of Sup Forums's scope or boundaries.

I like the idea of comics as a medium -- illustrations word bubbles, exposition boxes -- but whenever I go to any comic book store or comic-related event, it's all about capeshit. I'm not a fan. And I'm not the biggest fan of manga, either.

Are there any good publishers or places to go looking for Western comics that aren't capeshit? What is someone like me to do?

Attached: good-comic.png (1420x823, 1.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Sup
youtube.com/channel/UC1ZtauWih38Lr1aVEXuZybw/videos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Be more specific about your interests. But as far as the major publishers go, Dark Horse and IDW don't really go for the cape market and Image, while having cape books, has a many non-cape offerings. If you're looking for more indie stuff that you aren't going to typically see in a comic shop then check out Fantagraphics.

I'm not too terribly picky beyond not capeshit and not manga. Anyway, thanks.

Any specific genres you're into?
Here's Sup Forums's wiki of recommendations (there's an amount of non cape in it)
corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forums_Recommended_Comics_Wiki
And here's a link to Earl Grey's channel, I choose him because he has videos divided up by genre
youtube.com/channel/UC1ZtauWih38Lr1aVEXuZybw/videos
I also recommend Strip Panel Naked and Strange Brain Parts

Also keep in mind the cape craze is primarily a Burgerland thing, Europe has variety.

Attached: 1446407365373.jpg (1946x1660, 781K)

You can't go wrong with 2000AD; if you've been on /tg/ for any length of time you've probably seen some it storytimed.

Pardon the amount of cape in this image.
I'm somewhat sure there's still enough in pic related for you to enjoy

Attached: 1474235441799.jpg (1953x1296, 688K)

We had someone storytiming the Dark Moon Chronicles last week or so, it's a very /tg/ comic.

Man, that's like asking someone "I don't like superhero movies, recommend me a movie". Sure you're going to get the usual recommendations (Hellboy, Bone, Love and Rockets, etc.), but it's hard to be specific if we don't know what genres you dig.

Nah, I'm not looking for something specific, just anything that isn't within that specific domain. I got a some really good answers by my estimation already like and .

European comics have a lot to offer outside of the cape genre. But honestly you can walk into a comic store or game store pretty easily and browse through them cover by cover and see what piques your interest. Even from the big two there's some stuff that isn't capeshit. The harder part is figuring out where to start reading if you go with a big two comic. But if you find some idea of what you're interested in I'm sure Sup Forums or someone working at the store could help you figure out where it begins and what you can safely skip.

Read Bone. It's a fantasy series meets rubber hose cartoons

You probably already have it or heard of it, but Mignolaverse. Hellboy and the BPRD.

But anyways; I just do shit online. Only real place to go. Comic book stores are not exactly popular and rely on the most marketable things to stay afloat. That being capeshit.

Donald Duck comics are a must
If you want a good historical drama I recommend Boxers & Saints
If you want Urban Fantasy I recommend Scott Pilgrim and Rumble

The story's pretty weak though

I'd say it's more simple than weak.

It's simple as in shallow but it's also weak as a story in that it's not paced well and doesn't hold interest. I have a copy and I have absolutely zero interest in reading past the 2/3rd mark even though I like the art. Why? Because the story is downright amateurish.

Its a solid simple high fantasy story that has plenty of high points to draw the reader along and is a solid rec to anyone of general interest to comics or fantasy.
Granted it might not hold the same interest to those more inured to the general beats of fantasy or those looking for a meatier story, but that doesn’t mean it isnt a well crafted comic.
It is more aimed towards younger readers and the story reflects that.
While its not quite watchmen i really wouldn’t put it in the same tier as say, archie or something.

>It is more aimed towards younger readers
Yes I'm sure the kids appreciate the very tasteless Moby Dick billboards. No, the story definitely drags.

Considering how vast and varied super hero comics and manga are, you sound very picky.

It's a childrens story you pretentious duck.

immediate counter-argument: Then why are you reading it?
actual counter-argument: There are bad children's stories and good ones. How can you not grasp this?

Both of your arguments are terribly conceived.

Hellboy/BPRD/Mignolaverse
Goon
Bone
Scrooge McDuck or any duck comic really
Tintin
Corto Maltese
Usagi Yojimbo

Most have probably been posted already but whatever, take it as further recommendation.