In hindsight, his episode was really weird. Why wasn't Jack qualified to go back in time yet...

In hindsight, his episode was really weird. Why wasn't Jack qualified to go back in time yet? The only reason he 'lost' against Aku is because of the magical equivalent of a sucker punch. Otherwise, he's consistently defeated Aku every time they've encountered each other.

Attached: Guardian_1.png (608x437, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IoiVETkVvnQ&t=141s
polygon.com/tv/2017/10/12/16459622/samurai-jack-season-5-finale-genndy-tartakovsky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's season 5 that fucked up. Not that episode.

Obviously Jack still needed to do something in the future/Aku's timeline before he could go back, according to the Guardian.

Genndy said multiverse theory is correct in the Q&A before S5 aired. Had the Guardian's prophecy been followed in the timeline we saw, Jack probably would have killed Aku (in the comic-style ending) and then gone back.

Of course, this implies that Aku's timeline still exists after Jack goes back, and Ashi simply faded back into it.

Attached: 1494818090869.jpg (1113x727, 76K)

Technicaly, what OP said has nothign to do with season 5.

My headcanon is that at the end of his life, Jack will travel to where the Portal is (still in the past), and defeat the Guardian, just so he can see the future that he created.

>Genndy said multiverse theory is correct in the Q&A before S5 aired.
Do you have more info about this?

Attached: 1497353143802 samurai jack (5).png (2283x2778, 2.78M)

This isn't the season 5 bitching thread user

Season 5 didn't actually contradict this episode. Aku broke a prophecy previously by destroying the desert jewel. Aku has the power to receive premonitions and can use the knowledge to alter fate.

>that time portal has a unique appearance
>Jack (in the portal vision) has grey hair, despite the fact that he does not age while in the future
>Portal has existed for eons

Jack won't be qualified until he goes back to the past. The portal is for getting him to the future, where he can save that timeline and reunite with Ashi.

If what this user said is true about multiverse, thats make sense. Jack would have saved 2 timelines.

>Jack won't be qualified until he goes back to the past. The portal is for getting him to the future, where he can save that timeline and reunite with Ashi.
Oh fuck.

Attached: 1504643234867.png (662x594, 106K)

Instead of wasting episodes in the middle of the season they could have had this been the epilogue.
But no, they NEEDED the whale and evil blue kids episodes.

oh fuck checked

Attached: NUT.jpg (540x540, 95K)

He lost because Aku was unprepared and overconfident. He could've timeholed Jack at any point during their battle- arrogance was the only thing stopping him from ending it in the middle of Jack's "I am" speech.

>He lost because Aku was unprepared and overconfident.

Scratch that, reverse it:

>Aku lost because he was unprepared and overconfident.

>trips of nippon death
>confirmed

I hate headcannon usually, but this just makes sense... and I had another thought. Why else would Aku be able to still be around after the portal closed (should have wiped his timeline). Ashi probably was flung back to the future because she didn't belong there... just like how Jack never aged because the only way he physically could be in that time would be if his body never aged. Even Aku was surprised that happened, so it probably wasn't due to his magic.

Time threw Ashi back and preserved Jack.

Attached: smile.gif (500x500, 907K)

fpbp

That would've been the better ending. But fuck Genndy, he ruined SJ. Anyone defending him is just shitposting or a genuinely stupid person.

>Anyone defending him is just shitposting or a genuinely stupid person.
Agreed. I'm one of those low standards "it didn't get truly bad until episode 8" fags but even I'll admit the ending was an absolute shitshow.

Is this going to turn into another pastfag vs futurefag thread?

this guy gets it

>Why wasn't Jack qualified to go back in time yet?
the way i see it, jack still had to kill aku in the timeline he's currently in to be allowed the use of that time portal.

God I hope so.

Attached: 1521589577421.png (1745x706, 57K)

The whole Guardian thing was retarded.
>Prevented the chosen one from using the portal
>Failed to prevent Aku (AKA the guy who prompted the need for a portal guardian in the first place) from destroying it
Would have been better off just not even having a Guardian.

>someone saved my shitty timechart

Doesn't work. If the future was undone then Ashi never existed and never sent Jack to the past. Pretty standard grandfather paradox shit.
The closest anyone can claim to justify that ending is to appeal to multiverse nonsense, but that's kind of dumb since it'd mean Jack never actually saved his own universe's parents from Aku.

Exactly; that was in response to autism about it not being a multiverse scenario, and just a single timeline, and that Jack un-personing everyone in Aku's future is better than them suffering under Aku.

It's even worse if it is a multiverse though, because now there's no jack to stop Aku in the future.

what this user said. Without Jack, the future that is aku is fucked

Attached: 1497063822568.png (1200x1200, 462K)

Or, you know, maybe just accept time paradoxes as a thing that exists in time travel stories.

>Exactly; that was in response to autism about it not being a multiverse scenario, and just a single timeline, and that Jack un-personing everyone in Aku's future is better than them suffering under Aku.
Hey, you know what would've been bettrer, you little faggot?

>Shenanigan
>Jack kills Aku in the future
>Shenanigans
>Jack kills Aku in the past
>Two timelines exist
>Everyone is happy

It's so easy I honestly think Genndy deserves only a fuck you and a spit on the face for not doing it.

>Hey, you know what would've been bettrer, you little faggot?
No need to be rude; I'm of the opinion that Jack abandoning the future, whether it unpersons everyone or just leaves them with Aku, was a horrible thing.

>memetext
I agree, that would have been a good ending assuming multiverse shenanigans. If it's single timeline where paradox is kept at bay by Magic, Jack still unpersons everyone even if he does kill Aku.

It would be better except it's logically impossible for Jack to get back to the past through Ashi to kill Aku.
Like 100% absolutely impossible and provably so through modal logic.
That's why Novikov Consistency Principle exists. Anything you do in the past as a time traveller had to have already happened before you left the present e.g. If you travel back in time and crack the Liberty Bell then that damage was already done before you were even born. And if you travel back in time and try to kill Hitler before WWII you won't succeed because we already know nobody killed him then.

Why did Ashi even have sisters? Wouldn't it have been better if she was just the peck of the Daughters of Aku and went with the rest of them to fuck up Jack instead?

Lets look who was alive though

>Scotsman dead
>Ravers dead
> Woolies (Dying)
> Archers (Dying)
>Robots dead
> dogs dead

There was nobody left. Jack knew that he had to take the portal or else it was all for naught. whether or not the ending allows for them to live on in a new life is moot. They were already dead

Attached: Ashi.jpg (680x1020, 41K)

>Or, you know, maybe just accept time paradoxes as a thing that exists in time travel stories.
No, that's stupid. You can very easily do time travel stories without introducing logical impossibilities. Just don't be inconsistent, that's all.

>Angry clock noises.

>It would be better except it's logically impossible for Jack to get back to the past through Ashi to kill Aku.
Nah; retroactively erasing everyone who suffered under Aku, and denying their children and descendants the chance to live in an Aku free world from their sacrifice is a very, very bad end.

I agree with you on the timetravel stuff, but we all know that Genndy is a hack and wouldn't make it work.

>Scotsman dead
All his daughters, though
>everyone else
They're not the only good people in Aku's world, though, not to mention the rest of the wider universe.

There were the Scotsman's daughters and all the villages that those fighters came from. The future still wasn't totally fucked until Jack left with his sword of Aku killing.

would you have accepted this ending Sup Forums ?

youtube.com/watch?v=IoiVETkVvnQ&t=141s

Attached: Ashi2.jpg (1020x1044, 395K)

>You can very easily do time travel stories without introducing logical impossibilities.
name one (1)

Gargoyles did it right. They even had Xanatos tell Goliath he know he didn't leave Xanatos stranded because he already didn't leave Xanatos stranded. Novikov Consistency Principle done right.

We're not talking about season 5

>mfw genndy couldve pulled a timesplitters and just have jack fight alongside himself

Attached: F008595F-C487-4C72-AD7D-105DB0D49831.jpg (255x255, 24K)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

It really is a lose lose situation for the bad future
>Wiped out of existence
Or
>Still have Aku but no Jack

>Genndy apologist
Fuck off, retard. If you hate SJ have the decency to say it outright.

And last episode only showed a fraction of the people Jack helped, and in fact there's obviously a lot of decent people still alive when the fight ends, all over the planet.

Fuck you Genndy. I don't think I ever saw anyone else take a more massive dump on their story.

Chrono Trigger

And all of those sisters were brainwashed into believing that Jack is evil, so nothing of value was lost.

Attached: 1517265088267.jpg (640x480, 36K)

>Aku but no Jack
>implying that isn't ideal

Attached: Hahahaohwowexploitable.png (562x437, 193K)

George Lucas.

Back to the Future

George didn't do it personally, he gave the pleasure to Disney.

Glad you posted that image, I was so disappointed to see the guardian dead despite him being a lot stronger than Jack, who always beat Aku. It was the second to last episode of the series so there was no reason to suspect Jack wouldn't be able to use the portal that explained Jack would use it. Years of wait and the preview got my hopes up with no payoff.

It doesn't HAVE to be written that way though.
Aside from the scotsman, all of those characters were alive until the last 5 minutes and their deaths are independent from any of the other episodes or plotlines.
Hell even the scotsman dying earlier has no actual effect since it just renders him to a blue version of his original self.
To say that an alternate idea for an ending is invalid because of something that only occurs in the last 5 minutes of the original ending is as narrow minded and childish as saying that the ending can not deviate under any circumstances from a Will.I.Am rap.

>genndy said mutiverse theory was correct
then why the fuck did Ashi vanish?

Correction: *you* aren't talking about season 5, probably because you have really shit taste.

Because Genndy doesn't understand how time travel works. Or how multiverses work.

I think he knows how it works, but I don't think going back was the original plan.
Its has no buildup of the mechanics or consequences, and is in complete contrast to the rest of the season in every way.

You morons, you completely missed the point. S5 should've answered OP's question satisfactorily.

>"second to last episode"
it was in season 3.

Genndy says he had a "vague idea" of how he wanted the story to end while he was making it, but it was only around a year or two after the show ended that he really got a solid idea of what he wanted to do and ended up doing.

Jack was always supposed to go back, but in a tragic/bittersweet way. The entire show builds up to a conclusion like this.
Jack sacrifices his goals to help others.
Aku sacrifices his goals to hurt others.
Ashi, being Aku with the influence of Jack, sacrifices herself to do what Jack will not do to reach his goals. To help those in Jack's timeline, and (unintentionally) hurt those in Aku's.

As for Ashi disappearing: Jack being in the wrong timeline but unable to get back on his own stopped him from aging until he was placed into the correct one (presumably).
Ashi would have been in the wrong timeline had she stayed, but was actually physically capable of going back by herself and, regardless of what she wanted, couldn't stay in Jack's timeline. She most likely went back to her original timeline.

Attached: shitchillin.gif (500x375, 1.52M)

That leaves the implication that Ashi and the rest are now still trapped with Aku in the future.

And Ashi has Aku's powers.

Attached: vlcsnap-2017-02-23-12h28m16s739.png (327x354, 137K)

>character collapses, says "I would never have existed" then fades away
>interpret as her just leaving.
As for Genndy, he also he felt like it would have been "cheating to have a happy ending" while also solving almost every conflict with a deus ex machina(scotsman revived by handwaved magic, jack regaining his sword by the gods literally deciding to hand it to him, and ashi hawking a time portal loogie), so I don't put weight in his honesty or self awareness regarding the finale decisions.

still thats grim dark. Everybody dead and ashi along with no jack

>ack was always supposed to go back, but in a tragic/bittersweet way.
No, he was supposed to learn to accept the past as it is in favor of saving the future, as he does every time he's given the chance to go to the past and instead stays to help others out of morality.

The logical conclusion for this was Jack accepting the past as the past totally, rather than isolated incidents, and reforming his purpose to defeating Aku in the present/future.

According to Genndy, it was supposed to be like that from the beginning. He comes off as though he thinks "sad=good" rather than whether it works in the context.
polygon.com/tv/2017/10/12/16459622/samurai-jack-season-5-finale-genndy-tartakovsky
That does not, however, erase the fact that it is not built up at all, and it thematically clashes with the entire season.

So after Jack is satisfied that the world is doing ok in the past, he seeks the guardian out since he would still be alive there.

Then the two duke it out, and he goes back to the future timeline to slay Aku there and reunite with Ashi and his friends.

Damn. If they had just hinted at this in the finale, it would have salvaged everything. Just an aged Jack approaching the Guardian, and then end it there.

Really, I'm just starting to think that Genndy actually doesn't know what he's doing and S1-4 of Jack was a miraculous fluke.

Genndy's a great visual director, but an awful writer.
the first 4 seasons had the former in the spotlight, and the new one had the latter.

I just realized something, how did they rebuild Jack's Kingdom so quickly? It should've been completely destroyed when Jack came back from the past since it didn't seem like any significant amount of time has gone by when the weeding occurs. .

Really makes you want THAT to have happen in the ending.

It's a far better ending, but I like the idea of Jack finding the Guardian years later and fighting him in the past to return to the future to save Aku's future.

because the ending is fucking dumb in every respect

>Jack doesn't age
>all time portals were destroyed (despite no way of knowing this (despite Ashi being a time portal))
These were odd design choices from the get-go.

>without logical impossiblities
time travel is a logical impossiblity by nature. What i think you meant is "without breaking your suspension of disbelief."
As long as rules are established and followed, time travel can work narratively.

Prequel movies.

I for one would have loved to see a flash forward to Aku and Ashi fighting for all eternity as neither one can truly hurt or kill the other.

Spiral energy makes for quick repairs.