Do you think that wester 2D animated movies will get a renaissance one day?

Do you think that wester 2D animated movies will get a renaissance one day?

Attached: rdewsf.gif (500x212, 1018K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0xxAAXZvCO8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck no.

>western

You just want to give Disney more money.

Instead you should aim low , look for gems. And cross fingers for Klaus.

Probably not

If the state of modern art reflects today’s society ability to draw, then hell no.

There's not many people who are learning to animate like the olden days. More people are trying to emulate anime conventions.

Well, considering Disney is remaking most of their old properties as live-action garbage, I'd say no (unless France or some other European country wants to step up to plate).

Most certainly they will, that's just how trends work. But it's hard to tell when, it might take a lot of time.

NEVER
on top of that they dont watch it anymore without a brand name

Using paperman 3d, maybe.

Nope, it's dead.

Because Princess and The Frog did not set the world on fire but Frozen did you will never see another 2D animated movie from any studio, especially not Disney.

It's too bad because that Disney style translated into 3D, as seen in Frozen, just looks weird to me, it looks 100 times better in 2D and yet dipshit little kids today just eat it up, so what can you do.

Think about the fact that there are probably a lot of kids today who have never watched a 2D animated film.

Anyway, it feels to bizarre to think of an artform that lasted decades and decades just totally dying, but it's what happened.

>you will never see another 2D animated movie from any studio
>there are probably a lot of kids today who have never watched a 2D animated film
Glad I live in the real world, your made up reality sounds terrible.

Well, I should clarify "western"

But what makes you think Disney is going to make another 2D animated film?

I don't think Disney will, not in the forseeable future, but other western studios will and do.

This. Probably not soon, but give it time.

Yeah, it already happened in the 90's dipshit. The CG Enlightenment killed the 2D artistry.

Vidya saw a resurgence in classic FPS games, so maybe?

Attached: ion maiden.png (1920x1080, 439K)

Who cares

Yes

Attached: 1518724616084.jpg (810x1200, 180K)

I think it's possible but you'd need a year where there's no animated Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks , or Illumination movies, and a REALLY well made foreign entry that somehow makes a lot of money stateside.
Get all that; if all those stars align, then people might remember that 2d has some artistic merit if it wins best animated feature.

No, Final Space is as close to pure 2D as anyone is gonna get anymore (deformed 3D CGI to add depth but still look flat).

>implying TTG isn't going to win best animation

this is exactly like western videogames. they dont make middle AA games anymore

you can only choose either AAA cinema shit experience games produced by big companies or gimmicky short indie ones done by hipster tumblrinas

Anime's animation principles can be just as well applied to Western animation, and the animation in movies uses fewer of the kind of techniques you see in tv.

How do I into animation as a hobby? What are some free 2d animation programs, or what kind of camera would be preferable for cel animation?

Cel animation is laborious and time-consuming physical work that requires special equipment, and people haven't used it in a long time.

Flash seems to be the go-to program for amateur animators but maybe someone else has a better suggestion. At the bare minimum you don't need anything except the ability to play back the drawings with the desired timings, which even GIMP could do.

Maybe if someone come along and try to cash on the nostalgia of old Disney movies with a big hit, then I could see bigger companies reacting to that. Otherwise, I don't think it will.

Attached: ''''''books''''''.png (1480x832, 2.02M)

I thought Flash was more or less on the way out.

No, it's not.

No. After decades of competing to crush the competition Disney got exactly what they wanted - they became basically the only game in town for 2D animation - and when Princess and the Frog didn't make a billion dollars at the box office the suits decided "I guess nobody likes this stuff anymore", so now the only game in town has decided it's never going to make a 2D film again, so that's it. You'll get some nice independent 2D films every now and then from smaller studios that slipped under Disney's radar, but 2D as a medium for feature length western animation is effectively dead.

B-but I thought that movie that we're not allowed to talk about was supposed to save 2D animation

Leave that to TTG

I wish Laika would step up.IIRC they were interested in a 2D feature

Anime has many artstyles just like the west does. Not all of it are girls making funny faces.

ever heard of a magical place called europe

No.
SFX and 3d has evolved to the point making drawing animatuon pointless in western perspective.

2d will be the total reign of anime and its husbando waifu faggotry.

What does your husbando/waifu meme have to do with anything?

No, and you posted the reason why we'll never see 2D animated movies from major western studios ever again OP. I'll state for the record that I fucking loved The Princess and The Frog, but when a movie like Frozen comes out and makes anything that movie made at the box office look like pocket change and is STILL a merchandise juggernaut so many years later, most studios will look at the time, money and skill needed to do 2D hand-drawn animation and toss into the trash can of history. Besides that, how many people even know how to do Cell-Animation anymore? Shit, how many people in cartoons even know how to fucking draw anything outside of noodle-armed Cal Arts horseshit? Exactly.

>Thinking this is even remotley possible
>When Disney practically pays the Academy to win a Best Animated Feature Oscar every year
>Also when Academy voters think all cartoons are trash and shouldn't even have a yearly category

I wish I still had your optimism in life.

>most studios will look at the time, money and skill needed to do 2D hand-drawn animation and toss into the trash can of history
Budgets are now astronomical compared to the 2D era.

in a few years an animation will be able to talk to a computer and tell characters to do anything they want

who is going to do cell animation again

that's like putting a carburator back in a car just because old gear heads still want to pretend they know everything about cars

it had its time, look to the future

3D animation isn't the next technological step in animation, it's just a different way of doing animation.

i heard dragons be there!

I know people have a hateboner for ttgo but I kind of like this poster as a cheeky parody of the more mainstream live action thing. It feels like when old Looney Tunes was constantly parodying Don Knotts and shit.

Indie animation like Birdboy and Song of the Sea are a million times better than tumblrina Undertale pixelshit. The comparison is borderline offensive.

Indie movies definitely. Disney? No.

Princess and the Frog, while it didn't do as well as Disney hoped, was actually considered enough of a success that they said they would release a 2D animated movie every two years. Then two years later we got Winnie the Pooh and it was a flop and that was the last of it from them.

sure satan i believe you.

Attached: i want 2d features.jpg (259x194, 10K)

I found Frozen's story to be childish as well.

I know this is Disney, but they also done stories like Lion King, for example.

Frozen would be good if not last minute rewrite, Elsa's villain song was so good execs wanted her to be a good guy.

Only if we find a guy with a SHITLOAD of money who likes 2D cartoons and convince him to fund them.

Travis Knight?

>Birdboy, a unique, actually Spanish 2D animated film that got critical praise, lost the Oscar nomination to Ferdinand, a mediocre 3D American movie that takes place in Spain, and which flopped at the box office

Attached: IMG_2743.jpg (480x360, 38K)

2D as the final product is dead. Especially now that 3D actually looks good.

Attached: jane3.webm (640x480, 1.77M)

No. Disney sacked their 2D studio when PatF flopped. It doesn't exist anymore.

genuinely excited for this

Why are you even here?

Lies.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Kokkoku - 01 [720p].mkv_snapshot_16.53_[2018.01.08_21.41.08].jpg (1280x720, 70K)

Nope. Not a chance.
Next question please.

Daily reminder that you can't complain about the state of western animation until you've watched every single one of the films in pic related.

Attached: cartoon nostalgiafags btfo.jpg (1225x1225, 450K)

This.

This is why I hate the word "anime". Everyone treats it like its a genre or style of animation of its own.

>no Secret of Kells
>no Breadwinner
>no Nocturna
>no Rabbi's Cat

It is a style of animation. There are many differences but also many overarching similarities.

I just hope, OP.

Flash as a medium for like interactive stuff on the internet is from what I understand. When I last had Adobe Creative Cloud active I tooled around with flash, though it has been rebranded as "Adobe Animate".

Basically flash might be losing ubiquity as a interactive middleware thing for say websites, video players, and etc... but I think the program as it exists, might still survive as a tool.

>Pretentious artsy stuff

Ding-dong diddly cringe

>whines constantly about how western animation is all kiddie Disney shit
>whines about how western animation isn't mature like his precious Japanese animation
>refuses to watch western animation with stories higher than a 5th grade reading level

Attached: really activates the almonds.jpg (800x800, 47K)

I love drama stuff but sometimes I just need my fix of non-depressing musical animation that can make me feel some joy in my empty life.

Attached: cad.gif (320x182, 128K)

They might not be musicals, but Long Way North, April and the Extraordinary World, Ernest & Celestine, and Song of the Sea are comfy children's films with happy endings.

>western

>The first theatrically released Warner Bros animated film since the Iron Giant

Attached: 1509663426548.jpg (600x753, 30K)

Which ones aren't Western then?

The credits of Kubo proved they know how to do it.
youtube.com/watch?v=0xxAAXZvCO8

>Sup Forums perpetually stuck in 2004 when it comes to anime

Why 2004?

He's the only one who could. Too bad he's a stop-motion guy.

Can I complain about the state of American animation?

Attached: kubo2strings.webm (800x540, 994K)

Yes

If they bothered properly advertising that movie, then maybe it would've done better. No joke, I seriously thought from the commercials that it was another Disneytoon Pooh movie (featuring Pooh himself this time), before later finding out that it was an actual Disney-canon sequel. I also didn't see commercials on TV nearly as much as other Disney movies. Thankfully. I managed to see it at just barely the tail end of its theatrical run, and really liked it (it was too damn short though).