Why does this always happen to any half decent webcomic?

Why does this always happen to any half decent webcomic?

Attached: 1521776718451.png (607x789, 173K)

Because it's usually just one or two people working on it. People have lives. People can get worn out doing the same thing over and over again.

>why do i have to wait
just deal with it faggot, let them take a break. There are so many worse things that can happen to a webcomic besides a hiatus.

I know a guy who does comics for a living, and even when you love the job it's a grind. He's always complaining about repetitive muscle injuries from drawing so much.

Jeph Jaques finally realized he's a wasted man?

I was wondering this.

I have an audience, and could start a Patreon/Comic - but how do I TAKE VACATIONS?

>MY WRRRIISSSSTTSSSS AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH CHARRRLESSS GET OUT OF MY WRISTSSSSSSSSS

ok zack

I mean...it's not just a meme. Most artists from every field eventually develop work related injuries.

>CHARRRLESSS AAAAGGHHHH GET OUT CHARLESSSSS MY TABLET GLOVE'S SO TTTTIIGGHHTTTTTT AAAGGGHHHHH

Because a team of two people can only do so much on a passion project when money and general physical and mental health are very real concerns.

Because it's very rare for a project like a webcomic to be rewarding enough to continue with forever. And I don't just mean financially: for someone who wants to be creative, being stuck doing the same thing inevitably becomes a burden.

>Comic artist posts an update
>I'm sorry it's been a while, I know
>Working on the comic has been getting harder every month
>My heart hasn't been into it for a while now, and I really want to put time into new projects
>But I don't want my project to end up like all those others, so I'll do my best to write a satisfying ending
>I hope this will serve as a reminder to other artists not to abandon their comics.
>Next chapter out tomorrow

it was inevitable. I wish them luck.

Tell your audience in advance. Be like "Hey, I'm going on vacation so the comic will be on hold for this particular week". People are understanding as long as you're honest.

Build a fucking buffer. Don't go crazy with the update schedule.

Couple options
1. You don't
2. Have a backlog of some kind (filler, short or even guest comics)
3. Just take it, leave a cool pic or shitty doodle for your readers to look at while you're away
4. Medical stuff

Oh, and
this

Just from the ones I've seen

>Have a backlog of some kind (filler, short or even guest comics)
This. My girlfriend and I are planning muh webcomic soon, and in between updates if we need a break to refresh or want to visit family or whatever we're planning on filling the void with worldbuilding and lore shit.

Also, seriously, don't start your comic until you've got a good sizeable amount of content under your belt. And don't even think about asking for kickstarter shit until you've got something very tangible to show for it out the gate.

Make the comic in advanced. Or be like Ashley and let people know when a hiatus is coming while also adhering to a strict schedule. Or I guess you could be like fucking Aaron and be a piece of shit who still makes 4k while doing almost no fucking work.

If your webcomic is a serial story, you can usually get away with taking a week or two off between major story arcs. Otherwise, have a buffer ready.

Yeah, do a volume format where you can take a break, then upload it in big chunks over a period of time. And start in advance; get a big buffer out of the way.

These are good
But patreon has a pay by delivery system iirc, where you only get money when you hit milestones/deliveries. That's an option.

This, the only time I could update with any kind of consistency was when I was in high school. Adults with lives are fucking busy, I'm planning a wedding, working full time, and trying to keep a house under control.

I have to commend Ashley Cope for doing it this way. And it seems to work for her, the readers keep coming back.

That's one of the best aspects of her comic really. Even with good art and storytelling inconsistent update schedules or random hiatuses without any word of when you'll be back just fucks with the reader. They might keep checking for updates for a while but if there's radio silence it isn't too long before you forget about it. Maybe you'll go back after a couple years but at that point you really don't care.

Consistency is key.

The artists didn't want to make a comic. They wanted to pitch a cartoon and disregarded actually monetizing their comic.

Shit really? Makes me feel more secure about my planned financial situation then.

They were doing the comic strip only as a pitch for cartoon studios.
They totally dropped the ball on what their Strip Search prize was.

Which comic?

because the creators are generally without inspiration? I mean.. they practically all fucking suck

a KND fancomic I'm translating.
I didn't remember it quite right, he didn't want to serve as a reminder to others, he just didn't want to end up like others, being constantly pestered about projects he'd given up on already.

Attached: 11478464185.png (499x290, 24K)

>Sorry guys, no updates for a while, I stabbed my drawing hand.
>Again.

Oh fuck off. They made the comic and an opportunity to pitch came up, and they took it. Let them have their break.

Sounds like they were really hoping on the comic being picked up for a show. I don't even know what network it could air on, because it's not really for kids.

We live in a world where Summer Camp Island gets greenlit but not Camp Weedonwantcha.

Attached: 1519926528516.jpg (628x350, 67K)

They were going to lose it anyway to the three main channels.

Traditionally webcomics would run guest strips for a week or two. I dunno if they still do that or not.

And to add to this, Ashley Cope does take a hiatus between each chapter, mostly to rebuild her buffer, but she says "Hey, I'm gonna be back on X day" and she sticks to that. On days where she knows she'll be out, she'll post the missing pages the week before all at once.

Because anyone talented enough to make a good webcomic is also too talented to be making comics on the internet for free. As the post says, adults need to have things like food and health insurance.

They really could just easily ask for some financial support from fans via Kickstarter or some other garbage, and would absolutely get away with it. I totally understand why they wouldn't, because being humble and having integrity and all that, but I really doubt anybody would complain; more security to work on the comic for them, and more content for the fans.

Because webcomics don't require professionalism, so they're mostly an opportunity for people with no long-term planning to do amateur art jobs.
If they planned, they'd have realistic expectations for how long they would work to complete a story, AND THEN COMPLETE IT.
Yeah.

How the fuck do you not make a living wage when you are published on fucking Penny Arcade?! Bald and Piglike ripped these people off big time!

There was a guy who got his strip picked up by a professional syndicate.
It was well drawn, interesting, and had a novel idea.

It appeared on the GoComics website, along with strips that had run years or decades. I don't know how many papers it appeared in, but all strips start small. It takes time for the word to get around and for readers to demand something new. There are few overnight hits in the business.

All went well for 5 or 6 months.
Then he started missing days.
Then weeks went by without new material and readers started leaving "WTF?" comments.
Finally, after maybe another 6 months some reader posted a note that the artist had Facebooked he was moving on to other projects.
Never anything direct from the artist.
Never an apology or explanation.
Strip just ended in the middle of a sequence.
Guess he wasn't pulling in the big bucks he'd imagined.
Unprofessional, if you ask me.

Scenes from a Multiverse guy? His kid got some kind of bone cancer shit so he had to step away.

I remember when Megatokyo did that before they made habit of stick figure filler strips.

oglaf

What?

Me personally, I'd be much too afraid to ask for donations. I'd hate to accidentally present myself as "Gimme money,gimme money." and then have my entire hypothetical fanbase turn on me thinking I was never in it for the art and for the cash.

But that comic is horrible. Good riddance.

I have a webcomic that updates between 3 and 4 times a week (depending on patreon) and I've gone on 2 week vacations and not missed an update.

It's called a buffer.

If you don't fuck around and wait til the last moment to do a page you can work up a buffer pretty easily. At this moment I have a little under a month's pages in a buffer.

Has there been a third stabbening?

Eat shit