Frank Miller to Write Carrie Kelley Graphic Novel in New Deal With DC

DC Comics has signed writer Frank Miller to an exclusive five-project deal, which includes a young adult graphic novel starring The Dark Knight Returns‘ Carrie Kelley. Miller and artist John Romita, Jr.’s Superman: Year One for the publisher’s new DC Black Label is also reported as being a part of the deal.

>“We’re looking at our business strategy and how the market and our fans have changed,” DC co-publisher Dan Didio told Publishers Weekly. “We’re developing a new strategy about how we deal with all our characters and we want to get the widest audience possible.”

This announcement is a continued effort by DC to reach new audiences outside of the direct market, with initiatives like DC Black Label, DC Zoom DC Ink and DC Super Hero Girls targeted for bookstores.

>“We’re becoming a book publisher” DC co-publisher Jim Lee added. “We’re bringing in new talent with their own audiences to attract readers we haven’t had before.”

>“We want to branch out. We know how to service our core market, the comics shop market,” Didio said. “But we see our numbers in the book market. We sell more graphic novels than periodicals and we want to produce books with a long shelf life.”

cbr.com/frank-miller-carrie-kelley-graphic-novel-dc-comics

Attached: Dark_Knight_III_The_Master_Race_Vol_1_1_Textless_Conner_Variant.jpg (790x1199, 125K)

When will they finish All-Star Batman & Robin, huh?

Somewhere Linkara is seething

This whole deal stinks kinda, like he's a deranged old man near death, not the writer he was, and they're wringing out all they can get from him. I seriously wonder if he'll even be writing these or if it's like a liscencing thing.

Why?

So what happened to his cancer, is he doing better?

Yeah, his cancer is okay and it keeps writing comics for the last 20 years.

He hates Miller.

>Still no ASB&R
Fucking god damn.

Miller is writing a book geared towards kids... What could possibly go wrong?!

Why though

Industry icon Frank Miller continues his long-standing relationship with DC as a five-project deal is announced today by DC Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee.

Amongst the planned releases from the legendary writer/artist is a forthcoming graphic novel starring Carrie Kelley, whom Miller created for the genre-defining series BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. Marking Miller’s first-ever foray into storytelling for young readers, the new graphic novel will feature illustrations by artist Ben Caldwell (PREZ).

This new project will join the previously announced DC Black Label prestige series SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE, featuring art by John Romita Jr., as part of Miller’s multi-project deal.

>“Frank is a creative force in this industry, not just with a transformative take on iconic characters like Superman and Batman, but also by tackling the young reader genre,” says DC Publisher Dan DiDio. “He is an icon. As a publisher, I’m thrilled—as a fan, I’m even more excited.”

>“Frank Miller is an absolute visionary,” says DC Publisher Jim Lee. “He continues to push the boundaries of storytelling, and I can’t wait for a new generation of fans to meet Carrie Kelley. Joining Frank as collaborator on Carrie Kelley is one of my favorite artists--Ben Caldwell, a singular talent who brings his stylized, clean line and rock solid, playful storytelling to this project. We couldn’t ask for a better creative team.”

In addition to the above two books, Miller will pen three additional upcoming projects yet to be announced.

>“I am psyched to continue my partnership with DC,” explains Miller. “Developing the Carrie Kelley project and SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE with Dan and Jim has been a dream. It’s thrilling to have Carrie Kelley take center stage for the first time, and the energy that Ben is bringing to her is new and different—it’s incredible to see. It’s also a lot of fun working alongside John on SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE, this project is a childhood dream come true for me.”

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjMvNTk4L29yaWdpbmFsL1NVUEVSTUFOeXIxX0lOVC0xLmpw (921x1400, 335K)

This was supposed to come out like 5 years ago, it’s why the Carrie plot in Tomasi’s B&R got scrapped and abruptly ignored.

>Superman: Year One
I’m excited for this.

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjMvNTk5L29yaWdpbmFsL1NVUEVSTUFOeXIxX0lOVC0yLmpw (921x1400, 324K)

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjMvNjAwL29yaWdpbmFsL1NVUEVSTUFOeXIxX0lOVC0zLmpw (921x1400, 379K)

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjMvNjAyL29yaWdpbmFsL0NhcnJpZV9LZWxsZXlfMi5qcGc= (1545x1200, 1.2M)

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjMvNjAxL29yaWdpbmFsL0NhcnJpZV9LZWxsZXlfMS5qcGc= (1553x1200, 666K)

Fuck you I lost my books to these delusional fucks hiring Bendis so I don't give a fuck about any of you Batfags complaining about a better writer RIGHT NOW than either of the two faggots that have been on the main book most recently could ever be taking on a character people have wanted more of for years.

JRJR's father should've beaten the basics into him. How can you be the son of one of the best comic artists and still suck shit?

>most fappable Robin is back
BUENO...

Need a hug?

>most fappable Robin

[DICKFAGS SEETHING IN THE DISTANCE]

What can I say? Carrie was virtually my first exposure to Robin, if we discount Burt Ward.

Attached: 061.jpg (188x81, 6K)

>A Carrie Kelly book is happening
>Before a Robin team up book
The world is cruel.

What good would that do? Or are you just the "I'm gonna run out of hugs" shill from the other day?

Didn't they have a Robins book just like a year or two ago?

>the "I'm gonna run out of hugs" shill from the other day
Link please? I want to laugh a bit more.

He doesn't hate frank miller, he likes some of his stories.

Not getting another (You) fuck off shill.

yup, it's desperation alright

Oh, I found it in Desu.
>muh identity politics
Who still needs a huuug?

oh god it's the shit version of jrjr
was hoping for last crusade jrjr

This. I need it.

Attached: all star.jpg (1024x831, 263K)

>“We’re becoming a book publisher” DC co-publisher Jim Lee added
Hasn't this been the trend for the past decade? How long have floppies been written for trade?

Attached: 1520375517089.jpg (1050x741, 142K)

>Ok, Jim. I'm shameless. Let's got with an ASS SHOT

Everytime

Frank Miller and Jim Lee will always remain beloved by me after this page.

>we're becoming a book publisher
Took them long enough.

Ben Caldwell is a top tier cartoonist

>Especially since she's got one fine ass.
Is there a bigger badass than Miller
I bet in the 80's, he could've fought O'Neil, Barr, Baron and Dixon at the same time

Who says nigger on reddit?

Fucking finally. Hopefully this will lead to DC using her more in the future.

only Miller can write her

this is actually a good idea, make GNs for bookstores and make comics for comic shops, hopefully this is the beginning of the end of writing for trades.

or maybe not.

Attached: 1519737127024.png (1920x1080, 1002K)

Batman and Robin: Eternal? That was more of a Harper Rowe series.

>Frank Miller writing a female protagonist
Oh this can't be good.

Attached: tetch.jpg (710x536, 44K)

miller is still alive?

Because he's pretty much the only comic writer who writes females realistically?

I think he was referring to We Are Robin. It featured other Robins in the Robin War tie-ins.

>signing a five-project deal with a guy who is definitely die before he can finish the contract
Dan Didio knows what he's doing.

how is Frnak Miller health wise btw? I mean, I am surprised the guy even is still alive considering how he looked around 2014/15.
Not that I wish death on him, just... wow.

>artist John Romita, Jr.
Nope.

Is he out of kaka cigars?

That's all on Lee and probably the fact that DC is embarrassed by that book

Burt Ward Robin is the sexiest Robin though

BATTED

Attached: F2A36591-F57F-4421-A6B2-7680E77608A7.jpg (692x821, 227K)

>featuring art by John Romita Jr
Absolutely dropped.

>JRJR draws Millar shit
>Sup Forums loves it
>JRJR draws Miller books
>Sup Forums hates it
Suspicious.

Actually if anything they'll use her less.

She was taken out of B&R because DC asked Miller if he wanted to do DK3.

Sup Forums pretends his work on Last Crusade was good though

it is

See what I mean,

I'm down for both books.

Really? I had no idea, I always wondered why she disappeared so abruptly after being set up to be this big recurring character.

Goddamn, Bruce is like a fucking monolith here.

Iconic as fuck.

Is it going to take place in the Dark Knight Returns continuity or is Carrie going to be introduced in the canon, mainstream timeline?

It'd be both interesting and risky to introduce her in the canon, Earth-1 universe but I can see it working, maybe she can be a protege of Nightwing?

Yup.

Attached: 9422391661_f6c4bf665f_b.jpg (1024x682, 422K)

JRJR just can't draw children well

Probably in Dark Knight Returns continuity. Carrie Kelly was introduced right after Damian died in Batman & Robin--- and then quickly disappeared.

I want Carrie to sit on my face.

I once wrote a script for a potential Batman show where she was Robin and Jason was her big brother type mentor, but it was written under the pretense of being in its own universe that combined the best aspects from my favorite Batman stories.

It's a shame she's not a mainstay in the canon 'verse.

If you were already reading Tomasi and Jurgens, Bendis is an improvement already. No one is blander or fatter than Tomasi.

Based

I loled

>like a fucking monolith here.
What ever happen to Monolith?

That's fucking kawaii. Nice.

Is it wrong that I actually would have enjoyed a Batman comic by Miller and starring Carrie? And I don't mean Batwoman or Batgirl, I mean Batman. That short little snippet at the tail end of issue 1 of DKIII Master Race was rock solid. I'm not even trying to push for an agenda, but I feel like Carrie much like Terry could assume the mantle of Batman and I wouldn't bat an eye....

Attached: Dark Knight III - The Master Race (2015-) 001-026.jpg (1988x3056, 1.13M)

Yeah, because Martha Washington is bad....

Someone on Sup Forums doesn't read comics. What a fucking surprise.

>young adult graphic novel
that's redundant

I think what makes Carrie such an interesting character is that she can easily be portrayed as a child soldier, given the rigid, almost militaristic way Batman trains her and how insanely loyal she is to him. She was only 13 or 14 when she became Robin and by the time Master Race happens she's already taking on the Batman mantle herself. She has a lot of potential that should be explored and played with. In a way, she's like the best of Jason Todd's qualities without any of the weird daddy baggage.

>she's like the best of Jason Todd's qualities without any of the weird daddy baggage.
That is a very apt description and exactly why I consider her to be a worthy successor of the title of Batman. In terms of peeps I feel could take over the mantle goes....
1. Dick Grayson
2. Carrie Kelley
3. Terry McGinnis
4. Tim Drake/Wayne
5. Damien Wayne

For those of you that read The Last Crusade, how would you evaluate it in the context of the Miller universe? In my eyes Miller created one of the most intriguing portryals of the Joker that feel eeerily sadistic while style serving as a perfect precurso to his later appearance in TDKR. Also, the death of Robin was less of a shattering moment (like Todd's death) and more like a silent whisper (with Robin storming the Joker's hideout and being effortlessly taken by goons). Something about Jason's death felt so oddly appropriate in the context of the Miller-Verse that it painted the entire book in a different color.

Attached: The Dark Knight Returns - The Last Crusade (2016-) 001-005.jpg (1988x3056, 1.55M)

>Frank Miller to Write
Nothing to see here folks.

>Hair is lifeless instead of big and poofy

ehhh

Linkara is a idiot. He barely knows comic history. And hates on shit cause he was told it is bad. I doubt he reads more than half the shit he covers.