Why does the west treat animation as a 'childrens genre' instead of treating it like a medium and letting it live up to...

Why does the west treat animation as a 'childrens genre' instead of treating it like a medium and letting it live up to its full potential?

Attached: 1480117046529.webm (1600x900, 3M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g
youtube.com/watch?v=TGCLyeqlsZI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why do people keep forgetting about action shows, crude humor shows, and Adult Swim?

One question I've wondered, but never seen asked, is why is Japan seemingly uniquely willing to pay so much for OVAs and other anime.

Because most of the anime I see is supported by a relatively small core of nerds willing to pay 80 bucks for 4 episodes.

Otakus are diehard fans who will spend the majority of their money on merchandise.

Yes, I understand that, but why does that seem to be uniquely there's. Many countries have die hard fans who will spends tons of money. Model trains for instance get absurd.

The question I have is why is it only, seemingly at least I'm willing to be wrong, only in Japan that they support this.

Because when they tried to make more adult action/sci-fi animation they screwed it up and Hollywood is full of cowards who only want to do what they know is a safe bet.

The Simpsons succeeded and that's why we have plenty of adult animated comedies, but no action cartoons.

Superhero cartoons might be the exception because they occupy a neutral territory between adult and child audiences, just like the movies.

It's just not as big in other countries. That level of dedication in terms of cash would be something like complex board games or Warhammer 40k.

Another thing would be accessibility. In Japan all that stuff is right there and easily bought. In other countries you'd have to order them from Japan. Or you can just go to a hobby or game shop and drop several thousand dollars on figurines and paint and rule books.

I think it's the doujin market that's the missing piece. Basically the same deal as stuff on Kickstarter and Patreon. Most people are getting by on 200$ per week on amateur web comics but once you have a brand and direct line of communication to your core demographic you get stuff like start citizen that lets you sell 10 000 $ worth of purely hypothetical cosmetics in a purely hypothetical game to them and somehow get away with it because nobody else is filling that particular niche.

>but in muh anime

you never see people say japan should use less anime (as a medium) in making their stories.

Some people dont want adult animation .
They dont want to loose the monopoly .

Attached: Disney-logo.jpg (1724x796, 144K)

If Disney saw a huge market in adult animation you bet your ass they'd find some way to get into it. They have done works under different labels you know.

They don't.
Anime has far lower budgets than Western (atleast American) cartoons, they use cost cutting measures most american viewers wouldn't accept.
There are a lot of action cartoons, there has been for decades.
They don't have one.

Attached: I SHALL PLAY YOU THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE.jpg (617x686, 114K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g

this puppet summed it up nicely.

Attached: the truth.png (855x472, 369K)

>Disney
>Not Hannah Barbera

You are retarded user.

Walt said that the day that they focused on making movies just for kids, instead of movies for all audiences, would be the day that the company would lost its soul.

Disney also attempted to make more mature movies like Atlantis or Tarzan, or Treasure Planet, and they ended up being major flops - showing that people DONT want to see them, despite the company trying.

Attached: 1454778996278.jpg (507x654, 22K)

Other countries don't offer decent merch the way Japan does. In Japan, a show will get a premium box set and a line of figurines for all the characters. Here, you're lucky if you get a DVD set years after the show is cancelled.

Because actors would get asshurt at losing awards to voices.

>Why do people keep forgetting about action shows
name 5 currently airing animated action cartoons. Bet you cant.

Also, as for crude humor/Adult Swim, that doesn't make it seem any more mature. Most people see that stuff as dumb shit for stoners and poorly supervised tweens

Because it's fine as it is. It doesn't need to be anything more.

>the west
You mean USA, right?

Attached: Dragon Ball hype.jpg (3003x2129, 1.02M)

I'm suddenly swayed by everything posted here.

because only manchildren care for it

1. Mexico is not western, a case can be made for 2 or 3 latinamerican countries but not Mexico
2. DBS is garbage and showing mexicans liking something doesnt mean it's good
3. Stop being proud about such a shitty country
There's tons of animated movies for adults and even animated comedies for adults, you are just butthurt people don't see your manchildren garbage as something normal.

Because money.

Cartoons stopped being made as theaterical short past the 1950s. They moved to TV and to be able to make cartoons they were made cheap by companies like Filmation and HannaBarbera.

Limited animation and assembly-line production in story and animation. Even by the standards of the time the quality was low. Who's going to watch this crap and stomach it? Kids that's who.
Who's going to advertise during the cartoons? Products aimed at kids.

So when adults saw cartoons they only saw kids stuff, and because back then there was little cultural noise (few channels) most people came to the same conclusion and the stigma stuck.

>the entire latinoamerica
>"only mexico"
Dumb american. And it doesn't matter if DB Super is shit. The point is that there are plenty of people who can take animation seriously.

>not western

>american education

Attached: DJHpwR8VYAAPApj.jpg_large.jpg (500x610, 50K)

I wish there was something like this phenomenon where I live.

I love this continent

If 9/10ths of your movie in cgi, can it really be considered live action?
youtube.com/watch?v=TGCLyeqlsZI

cranky old men still run hollywood. Wait for them to die out.

Also wait for Disney to realize a significant part of their viewer base has grown the fuck up and are still interested in throwing money at them.

is this why Elsa is getting a female love interest?

Lose*

Because it costs shit tons of money to make animation and live action is far cheaper

Why do americans use "the west" when they mean the USA?

Because you can't rape hot actresses if they're cartoons.

I think you're looking at it backwards. Fringe fandoms have always existed. The anime industry is merely willing to identify and cater to them and make it a workable business. This is possible in Japan because distribution side (broadcasting) does not control the production side (anime studios.) If animation were retail, think of the US industry as dominated by Amazon and Walmart while Japan is still populated by mom and pop stores who can specialize.

Because there's only the west which is NA and the east which is Niponland.

Disney could make a PG-13 or R rated animated movie just to test the waters. The most they could lose is just a few millions out of the billions and billions they make each year.

Because children make up the majority of people who consume animation on a daily basis, so studios cater to them more. Most adults prefer live action, and only watch cartoons on occasion, so you see less cartoons aimed towards them.