Here's a list of the favorite movies of Wes Anderson, the director of "Isle of Dogs" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox"...

Here's a list of the favorite movies of Wes Anderson, the director of "Isle of Dogs" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Does he have good taste?
1. Akira
2. The Iron Giant
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
4. 101 Dalmatians
5. Only Yesterday
6. Porco Rosso
7. Princess Mononoke
8. The Secret of NIMH
9. Spirited Away
10. Watership Down

Attached: still_isle_of_dogs_copyright_2017_twentieth_century_fox-cropped.jpg (1000x563, 231K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g
youtube.com/watch?v=kpLX_gMwKms
youtu.be/trWLY6NrS2Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah, I'd say so.

I think he's doing himself a disservice if he's not paying attention to some of Disney's modern stuff. Zootopia was great.

Dalmations is a pretty out-there choice for his favorite Disney flick, but otherwise his taste is pretty solid.

Entry level taste

I don't think Zootopia was out when he made that list.

Porco Rosso and Watership Down? He’s good in my book.

I like it. Evangelion is pretentious overrated garbage, though.

half weaboo / half entry level

Source: My Ass

Too much Ghibli. Otherwise it's aight

too much japanese / american mainstream stuff

>3 Miyazaki
>Not even 1 Bakshi or Plympton
Normies get out

How is Evangelion pretentious?

Evangelion always struck me as sad. It's the story of a good artist spiralling out of control and ultimately fixing the cracks, in his psyche, with duck tape, by ending the show on a note where his self-insert was surrounded by his loved ones. Then, when fans sent hate mail and death threats, he was pushed overboard and threw lots of time and money at a movie made to spite his fans. There's a lot of, "you want character development? Bam, that chick is a lesbian. You think Shinji is annoying? Bam, now he is even more annoying."

The saddest part is that a lot of people, as a whole, liked evangelion and some even constantly praise it. When what Anno Hideaki needed most was privacy and a therapist.

>Japanese people using a shitton of Christian imagery they don't understand
>For a fucking giant robot Voltron show
I like Evangelion but it's easy to recognize how it can be seen as pretentious.

>101 Dalmatians
That's the only questionable choice in the list

No Satoshi Kon too.

It isn't one of my favorites but the animation and design are top notch, for someone interested in doing animation themselves I think it's a great pick.

Now he's married and making Godzilla.

Are these his favourite animated films or overall favourites, which all happen to be animated?

It was just used because the creators thought it was cool and exotic, there is no deeper meaning to that. This is THE OPPOSITE of pretentious.

source?

>Akira
No, it's garbage.

Zootopia was incredibly mediocre.

>Iron Giant
>Dalmations
>Porco Rosso
>Nimh

He's got good taste.

Don't let the furries on here see your post.

Not really comparable to anything on his list, except 101 Dalmations.

not much

he shouldve watched gizaburo's ginga tetsudo no yoru

But Miyazaki is significantly better than both of them.

You what.

Umm no sweetie, Isle of Dogs is actually a bad movie.

Attached: problematic.png (694x207, 17K)

That movie is shit. It doesn't matter how much sakuga moment it has, it's pure shit.

What's it like to be wrong?

Mostly entry level, "See these Miyazaki movies, I love anime!" stuff, but at least he likes Only Yesterday.

Wes Anderson and stop motion are such a perfect pairing and I can't put my finger on why

Attached: 1517421036576.gif (320x218, 1.55M)

because Wes loves little details and in stop motion you have to set up literally every single frame

>b.b.but my favorite 15 year old youtuber said it's good!

>Getting your opinions from e-celebs

If Wes is such a weeb and held in high regard, why doesn't he convince his friends in the academy to nominate anime movies?

Attached: IMG_2758.png (540x427, 247K)

well, they had to came up with SOMETHING after the whole "privileges" fiasco.

Solid films all around, but Akira at #1? Really?

I mean, it's good as a piece of spectacle, but as far as storytelling goes, it falls WAY off the mark.

Really? That seems like the most Wes Anderson-y choice to me there, just based on the art style.

Favorite animated films specifically.

America needs to be bombed holy shit

It's perfect

Attached: 1503721050791.jpg (346x331, 22K)

Oscar is a circle jerk for a very small circle of people all centered in Hollywood, L.A.

Those people treat Laika from Oregon like they are foreign film makers. The only reason Ghibli get's a pass is because of all their deals with Disney, where Hollywood actors get to dub them.

So yeah, stop giving Oscars attention and maybe it will die out eventually

Attached: laika-set-visit-feature.png (800x600, 774K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g

9 years later and it's relevant as fuck.

Good argument, kid.

at this point it animated features seems like a category so disney can show they've got films with awards. idk why other filmmakers dont just boycott their nomination.

next year Oscars are going to be interesting: Disney VS Disney.

Akira is overrated, 90% nonsensical, and entirely carried based on its visuals. It might have been cool 20 years ago when the Sci-Fi Channel was running infomercials about the amazing adults-only world of Japanimation you could get from Columbia House, but it doesn't hold up today.

>Only Yesterday
Nice.

I didn't realize YouTube was around in the mid 90s when I first watched it. Thanks for enlightening me.

>not 1 Soviet animation
Replace Only Yesterday with Snow Queen.

>4. 101 Dalmatians

Huh. Well it's not a bad movie by any stretch, just a kind of odd pick. I assume of course he means the original

No, though I think among his all time favorites in general he did mention Evangelion at least.

Tokyo Godfathers was pretty damn good, though I don't think I've seen much else of his yet.

I guess in some cases it fits, but if we're going by his quirky, squeaky-clean directing style, I would've thought that Aristocats would be more up his alley.

>Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke above Spirited Away

Attached: QTHaO.png (3556x3516, 358K)

this

Attached: DRumzn-WAAEgrWv.jpg (640x352, 22K)

This person does realize that the gesture of raising a fist isn't some kind of cultural thing, right? It totally makes sense in both the instances mentioned.

>The raised fist, or the clenched fist, is a symbol of solidarity and support. It is also used as a salute to express unity, strength, defiance, or resistance.

this but unironically

the kids skin is weirdly translucent and his iris' are white it bugs me

Chill out, Kim Jong-un.

You're really underselling the visuals here.

I'm excited for Isle of Dogs, though I know some of these dogs are going to die and it's going to suck. Wes has a bad track record with dogs in his movies.

Kubo should have won. It was the "best animated" feature. Fuck Zootppya for all time.

Can anyone tell me about Only Yesterday?

I loved Kubo but of my god don't you dare say it's better than Zootopia.

this country was forsaken years ago.

Attached: HUMANS.png (411x411, 340K)

>Only Yesterday
What is this?

He's right though

>Porco Rosso
Absolutely based taste in Ghibli, at the very least.

>tfw not allowed to raise a fist anymore

Slice of Life Studio Ghibli film, it's bretty gud if ur into that genre

>Only Yesterday
>Porco Rosso
Anyone who has heard of Porco Rosso and likes it is god tier

You'd be surprised at how many ghibli fans have never seen it

Pretty good taste. 101 Dalmatians is a neat choice. Spirited Away is overrated though.

>spoonfeeding

Perfect Blue has the most interesting story of his movies I Think. Paprika has some amazing animation.

>spoonfeeding
Fuck off back to Sup Forums where you can sniff your own farts as much as you want.

>raises hand
>HITLER

good job baiting this whole thread

what did jj mean by this?

Attached: 2EB92F5000000578-0-image-a-10_1448270033068.jpg (636x358, 52K)

>1. Akira
>2. The Iron Giant
>3. Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
These are such easy picks. Not surprised or disappointed they're up there but they're obvious choices
>4. 101 Dalmatians
>5. Only Yesterday
>6. Porco Rosso
Actually interesting choiced
>7. Princess Mononoke
>8. The Secret of NIMH
>9. Spirited Away
Aside from secrets of being they are also obvious choices
>10. Watership Down
Good choice

I don't expect anyone to adjust their favorites for the sake of wanting obscure choices (okay maybe I would for Wes Anderson) hell I'd put Akira up on my own, but sometimes you want to see lists that are different

In spite of it's flaws it was animated best therefore should have won best animated film. They pushed puppet stop motion to new heights both figuratively and also literally in .

Good or not Zoodjbia was ultimately a furry bait film pushed for current year nonsense with the same worse than Pixar CGI house animation Disney and committee written twist villain cookiecutter bullshit they've been running for 4 films by that point not counting Pixar. It is everything bad about current American animation and it just emboldens Disney to push their sick fetishes into everything because they think they can get away with it, filling the minds of children with that degeneracy. Fuck zootrokis for all time.

I saw it and didn't love it, it's probably one of my least favorite Ghibli movies. I like sentimental shit like The Wind Rises and When Marnie was There when I watch anime movies though

What did Zootopia do that was so special? It was a solid movie to be sure but it wasn't anything ground breaking or especially memorable.
At least Kubo had an unconventional ending.

Do you not know who Wes Anderson is?

Checks out, most of those are indeed good, or at the very least interesting. NGE:tEoE looks like the black sheep of the bunch compared to everything else there, but maybe that's me.

>Akira is overrated, 90% nonsensical
>it doesn't hold up today.

Attached: 135888448_640.jpg (640x427, 22K)

What people don't really get is that Disney and Pixar's movies are stupendous from a technical standpoint alone
Nobody else can produce such crisp 3d renderings and animate it in a realistic way

Zootopia is special because it's Disney, but among Disney movies, it's so so

Not the guy you replied to but Kubo's story was bland, despite being technically impressive
Laika's movies are amazing in a similar way to Disney's, but with stop motion intricacy instead of computer generated animation

Eh, it's about a 60/40 with the CGI to help smooth out the flow of the animation and for some things that really wouldn't be practical with stop-motion. Of course it's stop motion animation so "practical" is relative here.

Technical skill only takes you so far if your story is uninspired. I'd much rather see movies that are less technically sound but more stylized, like It's Such a Beautiful Day.

zootopia was going to be much more than just furry bait

youtube.com/watch?v=kpLX_gMwKms

Attached: index.jpg (281x179, 11K)

>Disney and Pixar's movies are stupendous from a technical standpoint alone

When I look at a Disney film, I can see the tremendous amount of man hours put into it, but not the identity of any individual artist. It's all blandly spectacular in the way one comes to expect from a $200 million dollar film.

It is what it is and Disney does it well. But I do grade movies on a curve, and I'll always take intimacy and ingenuity over technical, or increasingly financial achievements.

>Wes Anderson
youtu.be/trWLY6NrS2Q

The only redeeming quality of it was the shock value of the Robots not being robots, but creatures imprisoned on an armor, forced to fight with their brothers.

Zootopia was quite forgettable and was wasted potential. Disney had the chance to make it something interesting and decided to scrap it in favor of theyre usual squeaky clean and safe schlick

How the fuck is it bait?

He knows what the best Ghibli film is

This, desu. They're high-budget and high-effort but ultimately dull and forgettable.
It has tons of work put into it, sure, but it doesn't have the personality or sense of style that something like Redline does.

Attached: redline.gif (480x270, 1.9M)

Sup Forums really is full of fucking idiots