Casual hellboy reader here

casual hellboy reader here

can't get into the series

i love the art, character and settings
but it never seems to go anywhere
i don't mean the plot, i mean the ideas
what would you say are the most important themes in hellboy?

thanks

Attached: mugshot.jpg (361x384, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hellboy_Universe_Comics
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hellboy masks and monsters
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Going against ones fate to redefine oneself

traps are gay

>themes

What, are you writing a paper?

Take your pick.

The end of the world isn't the end.
Kill enough monsters and you too can live long enough to be a main character.
Being evil is hard and sad.
Power may not always corrupt but it sure as hell distances you from humanity.
You can't change your nature but you can choose how you channel it.

In Hellboy or BPRD/The rest of the books?

Just because they take place in the same world and tell the story of that world, they are not the same books.

Redemption (which also ties onto Mike's catholic upbringing, since they're big on that) and fighting against fate.

The subjectivity of defining what is and isn't human

will they ever reprint the batman, star man crossover? I wish I knew about it when it was available for normal prices

bump

be who you want to be
do what you want to do
question yourself
question others
find the balance to ones self

Attached: 1A.gif (1148x864, 412K)

People will always tell you that they "know" what's really going on and this is the "way things are supposed to be" but really they're full of shit and you make your own choices with your own justifications.

I think that's one of the strongest themes, and it surrounds all of the characters, except Daimio I guess, I don't know what his arc is really about. Hellboy and Abe are constantly told of their "destiny" so much that it weighs so much on them. Honestly I skipped a lot of Abe Sapien because they're constantly telling him about it.

It's in the Starman Omnibus collections. v4 or 5.

Recently a DC/Dark Horse crossover Omnibus got put out that includes it. Its even used for the cover.

Daimo was the guy who fought against his fate (that he'll turn into a jaguar monster and kill everyone) and failed. His arc is kind of there to show that even for the heroes there's always the chance they wont make it.

awesome now just need to find away to get the ghost hellboy story

If I wanted to get into it, where would I Start?

hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hellboy_Universe_Comics

By publishing date, with Seed of Destruction.

Seed of Destruction is the start, but written by a different guy than the rest of the series and it really shows. Expect a fuckton of pointless text for that arc, but after that in Wake the Devil Mignola starts writing and it really picks up.

Thanks, anons

You are what you is.
Going against your fate will get you nowhere, it is yours.

the most important theme in hellboy is that mythology is cool

Prophecies are dogshit, and shouldn't rule over you even if you're the perfect result of a concotion others laid for you to their means.

let me use this thread to ask, what is the state of Christianity in the mignolaverse? is it right, wrong or somewhere in between? because there is a hell, people mention Heaven, and there is a lot of christian imagery, but it's never certain if it is real.

thread is mostly right, beyond what is already said, I would say a very important theme is accepting ones inability to always be the center of things. there are many stories in which hellboy has either very little part, or where he is an observer. it's important to be at peace with not always being in the center of things and being able to see things through from the sidelines, taking lessons from what happened (sometimes not even that)

snagged this from another thread. thoughts?

Attached: mignoliaverse reading order.jpg (600x6598, 3.15M)

We hangman now

I think there was a collection of Hellboy crossovers names Masks and Monsters that has all of that.

Ayy. The dude who runs the Hellverse stuff on Multiversity is in regular contact with Dark Horse people and clearly has the most raging boner for Mignola's work. I respect that.

I'd just say to stick a bit closer to publication order if you can. Otherwise this list will do ya.

Somewhere inbetween. All Christian demons seem to be real. There have been brief hints of the stuff above too. But very brief. Clearly the Bible can't be 100% right, as man has been shown to evolve, and the prehistory of the world has all sorts of pulp horrors in it too. But we do know a "god" smacked down some Watchers (Angels) who got too big for their britches.

>Conan is moving back to Marvel now
>Despite having both of them under their roof for a decade+, we never got a Conan/Hellboy crossover

God dammit

Eh. Once the 90's were over, Hellboy stopped doing crossovers for the most part. Just the Beasts of Burden and Goon appearance since then. Besides, we have Howards. And sweet mother of God above Hellboy and Howards could team up before the end.

yeah but its expensive as fuck

Eh, used copies aren't bad at all.

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hellboy masks and monsters

Check Ebay. Trades that spike on Amazon can despite being readily available used can usually still be found there at reasonable prices.