Comic book writer thinks, "lol, this old character is lame, I'll make them a bitch then kill them off"

>Comic book writer thinks, "lol, this old character is lame, I'll make them a bitch then kill them off"

Is there any lower form of storytelling?

Attached: Disgust.png.png (500x500, 267K)

a comic book writer coming into an established IP and great characters but then ruining everything fans loved about said characters

Movie synergy.

>writer wants us to hate a character
>makes him a rapist
Why does this happen so much?

>writer wants a villain to be taken seriously as a threat
>makes them an annoying edgelord

>character has good development with previous writer
>new writer ignores it all and has an awful interpretation of the character

>Writer wants to show off how siris bisnes the new villain is
>has them kill off fan favorite and/or obscure characters

It's like the worst of both worlds.

I was just about to post that. Every jackoff writer thinks their badass new villain will be instantly credible and popular if they kill off a bunch of D-listers.

>new writer assigned to story
>"The fans are gonna love this series. It's written for lifelong fans of [insert character] everywhere."
>worst run in character's history
>has to be retconned or universe rebooted to undo the damage

Attached: The Horror.jpg (733x573, 92K)

Oh fuck.
I'm having Arena flashbacks.
Fuck

>has to be retconned or universe rebooted to undo the damage
Is that whats going to end up happening to 90% of marvels 2010s stories?

You rang?

Attached: 1506245765885.png (657x1004, 1.01M)

No, they'll just get ignored. Usually a universe reboot happens for BIG changes, like COIE or Flashpoint. Although I suppose Secret Wars happened for no reason at all, except maybe that they wanted to lose a lot of readers.

God I hate that. They did it to Blue Snowman in Wonder Woman
This is also very annoying

Jesus christ the lengths Bendis put the Hood through.

I kinda like that Marvel has never had a big universe reset. It makes it clear what has happened and what hasn't, as opposed to DC where half the time I don't know what's going on.

>new writer begins run on an established character
>uses the run as an excuse to write a genre that doesn't have any connection to that character

This seems to happen with vampires a lot

The more I find out about comic writers, the more I start to hate them. What with Craig and Yost boasting about how they love killing off X-Kids and then saying how great X-23 is in that same interview, to Bendis saying he killed off the lame Avengers and then making mother fucking Goldballs.

It always feels like the writers only read the "CBR Top 10 best _______ story arcs" and then ignored anything else that could be quality in between. They take fans asking for their favorites to show up as an insult and instead threaten to kill them off instead of feeling what the fans might want.

It's like they always want Spider-Man back in the 60's, X-men back in the 70's, and Avengers to always reference the original team but ignored the part where the Hulk was in the circus.

>>Write gets all the keys to a bunch of characters and walls them off so other writers can't use them.
>>only develops the worst ones.
It's Wolverine and the X-Men, if you're wondering.

>The more I find out about capeshit writers, the more I start to hate them.

ftfy

But user, without that kind of storytelling we wouldn't have Kyle Rayner!

Attached: 3362268-kyle_rayner_by_xxnightblade08xx-d4pusyj.jpg (753x1061, 195K)

>writer changes a character's sexuality to make his girlfriend's sister's ship canon

Attached: squid wall.png (498x492, 437K)

>>Main hero will go on blissfully unaware of the death, and it won't bother them that much.

You forgot a step. Nothing builds up anger than the protagonist thinking about a girl he wants to fuck while we're worried about the dying character.

>>Tom Brevoort "Oh, we can't bring back those characters cause their deaths have to be respected. Anyways, here's Wolverine again"

>writer includes a new romantic interest that looks exactly like his girlfriend

Attached: For Pete's Sake.jpg (640x362, 62K)

>Writer ditches the previous run's entire supporting cast, including the sassy female journalist/lawyer love interest, never to be seen again
>Introduces new sassy female journalist/lawyer future love interest

Secret Wars had so much potential, and they wasted it on Miles Morales and Inhumans gas kills Mutants.

>Writer starts new run on a character
>In researching, Writer assembles a list of the most popular runs
>Writer retcons all those runs to have been orchestrated by a new villain or group the writer invents
>"You didn't realize, [character], that everything that happened to you was by my design!"

Honestly? Independent writers do the same shit.

>it's a "writer revives an obscure character just to kill them for shock value" episode

Attached: 1521441009935.png (680x568, 440K)

I feel like Kyle was the exception when replacing Legacies wasn't the rage.

Fuck, I just wished comics would build up other characters than the new _______

That can be good, though I can't think of a situation where it has been.

>writer doesn't like one character on a team
>that character becomes the designated butt monkey

Movie Mantis is infinitely superior to comic Mantis.

>I can't think of a situation where it has been
Not exactly a movie but

Attached: 333238_640px freeze.jpg (640x480, 28K)

>>A character development happens that is well like.
>>Next writer comes in and brings them back to their famous status quo to repeat the same shit.

I don't know if it's better or worse when the writer simply kills off the old cast so the hero has something to revenge about.

I feel it could force the comics to move on from shit. I mean, before Civil War came out, that's all people could talk about. "I hope they make a Civil War movie" this and that, and they kept reselling that event. The film came and went, and now nobody talks about Civil War anymore. The movie was the last step and now that it's gone, nobody cares about it.

Now imagine after Infinity War and Avengers 4 comes out, and people finally stop talking about Thanos and the Infinity Gems. Or Spider-Man grows out of High School and the world can FINALLY FUCKING MOVE ON FROM HIGH SCHOOL PETER PARKER!

That is the best part of Movie Synergy, it brings closure to nostalgia.

Until 10-20 years from now when people start wishing for remakes.

As opposed to
>>Writer doesn't like the team
>>Takes one character out of the team
>>The rest of the characters are forgotten as all the focus is on that character now.

See X-23 when Liu said she hated the New X-Men, and now X-23's best friend is Young Jean Grey as opposed to Mercury.

This.

If Spidey and MJ eventually tie the knot in the MCU, we can finally get OMD undone.

It's worse because you start to eliminate the drive of what made these characters appealing. Spider-Man is loved because of his supporting cast, not because his supporting cast is Captain America, Wolverine and Iron Man.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't secret wars essentially a crisis? I didn't read it because Marvel has nothing that's interested me since Agent Venom (except sort of Gwenpool).

With DC, the continuity goes as follows:
>Golden Age DC
>Golden Age DC isn't canon anymore until Flash of Two Worlds, when it becomes Earth-2
>Universes get merged towards the end of the Silver Age with Crisis on Infinite Earths resulting in a new continuity that I believe begins with Legends
>Something maybe happens with the timeskip and Infinite Crisis but I forget
>Something maybe happens with Final Crisis but it's more like a relaunch after Batman dies
>Flashpoint reboots the entire universe into the New 52
>Rebirth dicks around with the New 52 but there's no universe reset, although it may as well have been with Rebirth 2.0

I think the MCU is a vehicle that can't be rebooted. Nobody wants to see all those stories retold when we've gotten so far.
Well, if you're okay with Michelle MJ.

No, they aren't going to bring in a white girl MJ.

Also, imagine if the FF got into the MCU, Franklin Richards is born, and after many years, Franklin actually grows out of the 10 year old state he's always stuck in. That would be revolutionary.

It's that kind of crazy shit, like how we're probably going to see Cassie Lang grow up in front of our eyes.

Thor 1 sucked and the character ended up becoming obnoxious as hell in later movies, but the movie single-handedly elevated Loki from a boring Myxzptlk clone barely clinging to relevance to an actual character

Attached: loki-thor.jpg (780x439, 135K)

Secret Wars originally lead people on that there would be one Marvel Universe after it was over, but it was not the case because of one book...

Spider-Gwen

Spider-Gwen's entire appeal was that it was a dimension where Gwen became Spider-Man. So with that book not getting canned, it told us that the multiverse wasn't going away. And what did ya know, everything reverted right back to itself except Miles Morales and his cast came over from the Ultimate Universe, which was the only casualty of Secret Wars.

And then the Ultimate Universe came back anyway.

Never really thought of it this way but you make a really sound argument.

>Writer resurrects fan-favorite character
>Kills them off again after a short while

Attached: 1517336715042.jpg (600x759, 40K)

Today I will remind them

Attached: Hush01.jpg (500x620, 135K)

>Author takes an inherently silly character and gives them an edgy background because they don't take them seriously

Attached: 1517767704538.jpg (560x574, 231K)

>author reinvents an established character in a misguided attempt to make them be taken "more seriously" when the original character was perfectly fine

Attached: 1519891073866.png (469x635, 467K)

>Author kills off a silly character in a gruesome way to reinforce the fact that their new run is SERIOUS and EDGY

Attached: Spontaneo.jpg (226x207, 23K)

Or to piss off fans because the writer is an immature cunt and would rather focus on trolling instead of making his stories (which have fun concepts in theory, but are dogshit under that writer) good.
You all know who I'm talking about.

>it's a "writer jerks off to how clever his meta-commentary and deconstructionist nonsense is" episode
>"YOU JUST DON'T GET IT IF YOU DISLIKE IT"

Attached: absolutely waugh.png (400x365, 233K)

Whedon and his fanboys?

>HELL YEAH

>villains are suddenly very vocal about political views they never had before, and are set up as bigoted strawmen
>hating gays or whatever becomes their worst in-comic crime, even if they were mass murderers before

You guessed it.

Why do writers troll so much? Like, why do we need to waste issues of Spider-Man recapping what just happened while beating up random buglers, shown his social life is shit, then have the last page villain reveal?

Why can't we just cut to the good shit instead of wasting issues hyping up future events? Just fucking put more fun ideas in your comics!

I was thinking of Grant Morrison but that works too I guess.

>shown his social life is shit
>character had some bad luck which was to establish that the character perseveres through the hardships of life
>later on he becomes a butt of all jokes caricature of a loser and an idiot you want to punch in the face
Kek, I think I can just fill this thread with my butthurt over Slott's Spider-Man.

meant to reply to

>>Writer has some legit interesting characters
>>Continually focuses on the worst character constantly.

I don't know if it was something Marvel was pushing, but MY GOD, Medusa brought the entire book down.

Attached: inhumans-variant-uncanny-avengers-72c4c.jpg (655x994, 281K)

I honestly don't get why people love the "idiot manchild" Spider-Man so fucking much. From the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, to Slott's run, to even the fucking MCU Spider-Man, I just fucking hate him.

And it's always, ALWAYS "Spider-Man is a fuckup and everyone rolls their eyes at him until SUDDENLY HE'S SUPER GENIUS TO GET OUT OF A BIND and now he's back to being the hilarious fuckup"

I just hate him.

I find it more often in anime, to be honest.

That reminds me of this argument.

>>Do you like Naruto?
>>Fuck no
>>But what if you took out Naruto, Sakura and Sauske and replaced them with Shikamaru, Hinata and Rock Lee as the main characters.
>>...fuck, I would watch that.

It's weird, but they always put the most boring character in the protagonist position. Maybe it's because they are more flexible off other characters, but it always strikes me as tedious.

Just like how the main character would always just have super strength when the rest of the cast get fun powers.

Doesn't count; Robinson gave Blue Snowman a massive upgrade before killing her off.

Even that fish bitch survive this tang, Rip in Particles Big Reddo Machino

Man this thread is taking me on the shittiest nostalgia trip

>Even that fish bitch survive this tang,
Who are we talking about? I thought the Atlantian girl died.

Pretty sure they de-aged Cassie before the film came out.

Well, yeah, but Cassie always started pretty young in the Ant-Man origins. The fact that we have 2 years between each film will have her age up fast.

No, I mean I'm pretty sure they deaged her from YA to Spencer's Ant-Man.

She was kind of dead between that time.

The editors and artist demand the return of a long dead character so they can ass-pull a rehash of the original team, derailing the overarching plot of a series, ruining characterisation of several more and leaving the whole end if ice spinning its wheel for the next 30-40 years. Occasionally picked at by other writer who can’t bring the ongoing tangle of plots to a close as they were originally intended.

Even accounting for that.

I’m guessing you meant edifice and the franchise is the X-men, you Claremont sucker.

If that's bad then would making Jar Jar the hero of episode IX redeem the sequel trilogy?

Making Jar Jar the secret villain would.

It sounded like the JLA to me, although Hal wasn't dead for THAT long.

This is literally Tom King's Riddler.

Emphasis on the annoying part as well.

>writer introduces a new romantic interest that looks exactly like himself

Attached: 1521467882792.jpg (303x402, 23K)

>Dude! What if [genre] but [thing atypical of genre]?
The worst part is Sup Forums seems to think this is brilliant writing.

I remember Ben Morse of Wizard Magazine bragged about how he told Geoff Johns to kill off more very specific heroes in Infinite Crisis, especially some girl Razorsharp that he hated. He got that one Pantha guy mad too.

>french toon
>starring a hormonal french teen parading around in spandex
>meets a certified euro DILF
>doesnt immediately start a sordid and passionate affair
>DILF not cucking his son with some underaged tail

i am le dissapointed france

Attached: 9f83992077fd0f5f67d746596cd9f842b919afef_hq.jpg (800x450, 44K)

having the antagonist commit a random evil act with no context whatsoever to solidify the status of villain when the rest of the character development is good guy material

Attached: badguygoodguy.png (857x1144, 842K)

he was bad because he was the wrong kind of (((nationalist)))

>Author takes an inherently silly character and gives them an edgy background because they don't take them seriously
Mr. Freeze

What's worse is that his original origin is way more serious than what Snyder gave him.

The only thing I'd change about Fries is the name. He should have been called Doctor Freeze from the beginning, but as it stands Mr. Freeze is fine.

Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke sucked because Kishimoto was a bad writer working under a TERRIBLE schedule, and thus was often forced to just have characters do whatever the plot for his "end game" required.

Said end game always had the main character becoming Hokage and "breaking the cycle of hate" (which meant basically forgiving even the vilest deeds) So even under your set-up, you would have Shikamaru betraying the Leaf Village for no real reason and acting like a jerk for most of the series, while Hinata and Rock Lee cheer him on.

>What's worse is that his original origin is way more serious than what Snyder gave him.
I was referring to Timm and Dini giving him a backstory, but ok.

>Comic book writer thinks, "lol, this old character is lame, I'll make them a bitch then kill them off"
>Is there any lower form of storytelling?
but Star Wars is Sup Forums user

Yeah, Ross gave me terrible vibes through the whole movie.

Are you retarded? If a character basically had no backstory before, it's fine. What Snyder did was rape.

My point was only that it can work sometimes. Some characters are just kinda shit.

John Hurt as the Professor was so good, he made Mignola regret killing him so early and started writing the flashback books.

comic writer hates a character kissing his wifu.
He will make that character gay permanently.

I'm still fucking mad. Fuck you Kaare Andrews.

Attached: steelserpentdavos-iftlv2.jpg (301x302, 43K)