There was a 10% chance the Chernobyl accident could have made half of europe uninhabitable...

There was a 10% chance the Chernobyl accident could have made half of europe uninhabitable, it was only saved by the courage of a few Russian workers.

Why can't fission fags think long term?

Sure plants are 'safer' today, but don't you see that catastrophic nuclear incidents are a statistical inevitability?

> But muh only 35 people died at Chernobyl!?!

That's absolute bull shit, there has been and continues to be a massive global cover up with regards to Chernobyl and Fukushima.

youtu.be/dS3WvKKSpKI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aR--2dASoJA
youtu.be/hOgl7XdB8OQ
youtu.be/wHJunvkTsxo
youtu.be/zAGx8ocZqT0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCcutzXzYg
youtube.com/user/bionerd23/videos
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Those men had courage very few on pol could even imagine. Saved millions of lives. Should be made global heros.

Yummy yummy alpha particles in my tummy

In fact Chernobyl was useful because it gave a sens to the life of those retard slavs

>it was only saved by the courage of a few Russian workers.
>courage

lel their other option was getting shot on the spot and none of them wanted to be there. They weren't told how bad it was.

Literally the only ones who count as heroes are the firefighters who knew they'd die terribly but still went inside. The construction crews afterwards were there on pain of death, as were all the military units.

>he got burned so bad that his ghost is on fire

What always gets me about these photos is you can see the film degrading because of the radiation

Truly horrifying

kek

There hasn't been a Chernobyl-like disaster since because it had the absolute worst fucking design. There wasn't even an external shield (like EVERY other nuclear plant has), so if there was a meltdown the core was immediately exposed to the outside world. I don't think a disaster like that is even possible anymore.

ukranian******

What were the two in the pic doing?

>There was a 10% chance the Chernobyl accident could have made half of europe uninhabitable
So close yet so far...

Dying

> there was a 10% chance the Chernobyl accident could have made half of Europe uninhabitable
If only...

>the Chernobyl accident could have made half of europe uninhabitable
>it was only saved

the elephants foot, as that infamous lump of highly radioactive partially molten core material is known, has since burned its way through the floor of the reactor building and disappeared into the ground below.

Beneath Chernobyl lies a massive aquifer that provides water to much of northern Europe.

It is not known if or when the material will reach this aquifer, nor what the ramifications could be.

>Soviet halfassed project made on budget tighter than Chris-chan 'vagina' manned by people who shouldn't ever be close to a pile of coal, let alone nuclear reactor, and all of this added to running faulty 'supa sekrit' plan to produce plutonium in military reactor masked as civil one
Hoo boy, how this shitshow didn't blow up on spot is beyond me.

>What always gets me about these photos is you can see the film degrading because of the radiation

Reminds of Fukushima where you can actually see ongoing nuclear fission bombarding the carmera, @ 1:19 you can actually see the blue/green neutron beam, crazy stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=aR--2dASoJA

Can we ban toothpaste posters? Honestly they are the most idiotic people to post on the website as a whole. They are even worse than shitposting leafs as they are genuinely retarded.

First Chernobyl is in Ukraine which was the Soviet Union at the time, not Russian. Second off Chernobyl and Fukisima for that matter were terribly constructed reactors neither would have passed inspection. Also the fact you can only bring up two meltdowns in over 50 years of nuclear power shows how small the chances are of a meltdown.

Only 5% of nuclear waste falls under the category of "high-level waste" i.e. waste that is actually dangerously radioactive. The remaining 95% can be safely stored in near surface landfills.

Chernobyl was caused by an experiment on what to do if the reactor does fuck up being perfomed by rookies due to an unexpectedly high daytime demand delaying te experiment so that the night shift (rokies) attempted to perform it.

Modern reactors now have tons of safety features in them to prevent a similar acident happening and even fukushima, which got hit by both an earthquake and tsunami managed to do 100x less damage than chernobyl.

t. Energy engineer.

That's pretty funky

I hate how criminal incompetence by some fucking slavs is used to ruin our own energy industries, like making our lives a 1000x harder is going to stop some gooks or poos from repeating this shit.

youtu.be/hOgl7XdB8OQ

See that blob on the floor? It's called the Elephant's Foot. A few years ago they sent a robot in to take a picture of it. The radiation coming from the Elephant's Foot was so intense that it killed the robot. Those men in the photograph are already dead.

The standards are wrong, according to youtu.be/hOgl7XdB8OQ it's 1000x more dangerous than the current standards suggest.

What do you think of that guy in the vid? Does he know what he's talking about?

>Beneath Chernobyl lies a massive aquifer that provides water to much of northern Europe.
Your geography needs some work if you want us to believe your bullshit.

Also they build a pad under the foot and it hasn't moved in decades.

Yes, the liquidators were brave as fuck but they were also ordered to clean up the accident and would have faced prison and possibly execution had they refused. In the end they did it for their families.

They were Russians at the time,
Two major nuclear incidents (what about 5 mile island and others)?

Also fuck you too

Sadly, this is very true. Many pics of the liquidators have radiation exposure on the film and the men in the pics died within weeks. Pic related.

Total deaths is about 65.

Poor bastards. RIP

>and even fukushima, which got hit by both an earthquake and tsunami managed to do 100x less damage than chernobyl.
Actually the only reason it melted and exploded at all was because the whole thing was badly placed, outdated, not upgraded and poorly maintained, because yellow jews from TEPCO were too greedy for those japanese shekels. Plus japs went absolutely incompetent and idiotic about this whole fiasco and let it spiral completely out of control, hoping that NANTOKA DAIJOBU and praying to Amaterasu for miracle. In such case nothing is save, be it nuclear, chemical, oil, or any other plant/factory or whatever hazard thing you can think of.

I'd be glad to give my life if I lived in some commie soviet shithole.

During the Manhattan Project there was a sub-critical lump of plutonium that picked up the nickname "Demon Core" because on a couple of occasions a scientist accidentally screwed up a lab experiment sending into super-criticality and pumping out radiation.

The first guy died in about 3 weeks because he'd dropped something on it.

In the first few weeks, yes. All the fire fighters (who were not equipped to flight radioactive fires) and all of the helicopter pilots died. Some of the liquidators lived for a few years only to eventually die of thyroid cancer. Many, many thousands of people have died over the years due to the Chernobyl disaster.

Water tight backup generator room and their would have been zero problems.

>There was a 10% chance

Please tell me how this was calculated.

Bull shit, of the 500,000 troops deployed at Chernobyl, 300,000 died before 40.

The only study completed into birth defects and thyroid cancers was suppressed and the researchers thrown in jail. Wake up

Kek

Meant for this

>In the first few weeks, yes. All the fire fighters (who were not equipped to flight radioactive fires) and all of the helicopter pilots died. Some of the liquidators lived for a few years only to eventually die of thyroid cancer. Many, many thousands of people have died over the years due to the Chernobyl disaster.

No 65 deaths from all causes in the last 35 years including early deaths.

It's a bit hard to nail down causes given the fall of the USSR and the drop in life expectancy that followed.

Been a while since I read about the disaster, but didn't some bumblefuck slav attempt to literally pour insanely volatile nuclear material down a floor drain like it was fucking mopwater? Dude was scared that his immediate supervisor would find out that shit was fucked so he tried to chuck the load down a fucking floor drain.

>Bull shit, of the 500,000 troops deployed at Chernobyl, 300,000 died before 40.
>The only study completed into birth defects and thyroid cancers was suppressed and the researchers thrown in jail. Wake up

The WHO did the research. That you don't like the outcome is not my problem, however yelling more loudly about how it's a conspiracy doesn't change the factual evidence from a 3rd party research group.

>muh literally one accident
Oh yes, soooooo dangerous. We've had three isolated accidents total in the history of nuclear energy and two were completely the fault of idiots ignoring warnings. Chyrnoble was even STILL OPERATING for years after the "disaster"

I don't know where that number came from but some very brave men drained the water from the sub-floors of the reactor room. This saved the world from what would have been a massive radioactive explosion (much bigger than the first one) had the fuel and control rods came in contact with the water.

>could have made half of europe uninhabitable
toothpaste doesn't want to life in a post apocalyptic europe

Yep, dude's full o fshit. Majority of other low-dose radioation researchers disagree with him and he was also caught trying to sell his opwn brand of "anti-radiation" pills after fukushima.

Well Russia wouldn't even admit that the disaster happened at all. It's no surprise that they didn't track the number of it's victims.

r.i.p russian workers.

Ok there's no reasoning with you if you blindly believe that shit, the whole industry is covering up the dangers. Even small doses of radiation cause deformities, watch

>Well Russia wouldn't even admit that the disaster happened at all.
And where did you hear this bit of nonsense?

Yep. One would think that having water tight backup generator room - with nuclear plant being near the ocean and living in the highly seismic zone - would make absolute sense to have, but nope.

That's not what caused the reactor to meltdown at Chernobyl.

forgot pic

can anyone explain to me why chernobyl is uninhabitable but hiroshima isn't?

yeah, sorry, i've conflated some other soviet fuckery with chernobyl, just did some re-reading on it

can't for the life of me find the story i'm thinking of though

Three mile island wasn't a melt down

I tried to watch aged hipster but he wasn't getting to his point at any time so I stopped.

Also the idea of no safe limit has been disproved.

>Ok there's no reasoning with you if you blindly believe that shit,
Well I have facts and evidence. While you have your own personal beliefs that hundreds of researchers have enter a pact to suppress the truth for over 25 years.

Let me clarify: they didn't come out about it right away. I didn't mean they never admitted it to this day.

>There was a 10% chance the Chernobyl accident could have made half of europe uninhabitable, it was only saved by the courage of a few Russian workers.

liquidators weren't russian, they were mostly ukrainians. they were also bussed in, given bad info on what happened and were killed on the spot when they refused to work.

>you can actually see ongoing nuclear fission bombarding the carmera
Nope. Fission was over at that point. It's just decay radiation.

Japan spend time and effort to sweep up the small bomb material while the USSR and the follow own Ukraine said we have fuck tons of land it's too expensive to clean. Not that Chernobyl is uninhabitable. Some people never left the exclusion zone and have been living there happily.

Nowhere near what happened. It was incompetency

Why can't you retards understand the concept of Thorium Reactors?

By nature of their design they don't melt down like this.

Also:
Fukushima - 50 year old plant on a fault line in a tsunami prone nation
Chernobyl - built by communists. The same people who put Chem Suits on the Widowmaker instead of Rad Suits.

The IS Navy uses nuclear power plants for a considerable part of their fleet.

Notice how you never hear about them having disasters?

>In December 1968, the facility was experimenting with plutonium purification techniques. Two operators were using an "unfavorable geometry vessel in an improvised and unapproved operation as a temporary vessel for storing plutonium organic solution."[14] "Unfavorable geometry" means that the vessel was too compact, reducing the amount of plutonium needed to achieve a critical mass to less than the amount present. After most of the solution had been poured out, there was a flash of light and heat. After the complex had been evacuated, the shift supervisor and radiation control supervisor re-entered the building. The shift supervisor then entered the room of the incident, caused another, larger nuclear reaction and irradiated himself with a deadly dose of radiation.[15]

Oh, sweet. I was thinking of Mayak where some silly slavbois were decanting plutonium solution into some shitty container and dropped the shit and ran when things got fucky, at which point the shift supervisor was nervous of a gulag vacation so he ran in and tried to pour plutonium down a floor drain rofl

sp00ky

youtu.be/wHJunvkTsxo
It should be evacuated, radiation levels are as high as Chernobyl in areas outside the Jap exclusion zone

>Let me clarify: they didn't come out about it right away. I didn't mean they never admitted it to this day.

So you claim that the USSR and then the Russian government denies that the Chernobyl reactor had an accident?

Give me an official statement to that fact.

At the start of the accident the local command didn't inform the central government, and the central government learned about the reactor fire from Sweden detecting radiation at one of their reactors. Is this what you mean?

The other three reactors were still in operation, yes, but everyone had to work in radiation suits until they could erect the sarcophagus over the reactor that had melted down and exploded.

Three Mile Island wasn't even a real nuclear incident. It was just a scare.

They were probably feeling pretty shitty about all of it. Doesn't sound like a good time. And then the whole government coverup. At least the cover up paints them as heroes. They got a better deal than Hitler did or the people at Benghazi

That guy is right, it wasnt' that they denied the accident, but it took a few days and Sweden picking up exess radiation in the air before the USSR finally came clean about what happened at Chernobyl.

Chernobyl blew a lot more fuel. The fuel wasn't much consumed, just thrown up, and also rose with smoke from the fire to cover the whole area. Little Boy was designed to burn as much fuel as possible to get a bigger boom. Black rain washed the leftovers out of the atmosphere and underground and into the ocean.

This Go to 1:17
youtu.be/zAGx8ocZqT0

you can say that they're safer and all that but even still a 1% chance of failure is way too high a risk in my eyes considering the massive amount of land and populations that can be affected if they do blow up

Elephant's foot is far less dangerous now. Also, no one died from goping near the elephant's foot. It took years before people even tried going near it. They could tell how dangerous it was just from putting mirrors near the thing with robots to let them take a look at it.

We have units of measure for radiation. The number of decays per kg of material is more or less useless as a direct indication of danger because I'd need to go and look up the types of radiation produced by each isotope then figure out what possible harm they might cause.

Hint if your giving radiation in becquerel that's not prefixed by Mega or Giga it's not really an issue.

Cernobyl wasn't a meltdown. It was a steam explosion. THe reasoin it was so bad was that the explosion threw so much radioactive debris so far.

There's a bigger chance than 1% of Earth just fucking dying out for over a billion reasons but we haven't yet, have we?

Stop being such a smelly goy.

Modern reactors can't blow up like Chernobyl. Modern reactors are encased in salt which, even if all the safeties were off and the reactor were left to sit, would be able to dissipate enough heat to turn the reactor off.

More people have died from installing wind turbines you hook-nosed kike.

This

They found dangerous isotopes, like the ones used to kill that Russian journalist

bull shit

The rest of the world doesn't operate open pile reactors. It's not fission power that was the problem, the problem was (like always) Soviet arrogance.

Also watch , he argues the standards are wrong and tiny doses cause serious damage

didn't the guy who took that picture die from radiation sickness also?

>exploded in 26 April 1986
>sarcophagus construction was done by December 1986
>remaining 3 Chernobyl reactors worked for 14 more years after that, and were closed mostly because of MUH CHERNOBYL cries, and those mostly from EU.

2.18μSv/h is fucking nothing.

The normal average is 0.71μSv/h.
Higher for people in naturally radioactive areas or high altitude.
Lower for people in less radioactive areas or near to sea level.

Some places hit 20μSv/h and millions of people live there.

>tiny doses cause serious damage
Don't ever get on an airplane again.

Yes, that what I'm referring to. The Russian government didn't come out about it right away. They were essentially forced to because of the radioactivity detected in Sweden. I think it was 2 or 3 days later they admitted there was an incident but greatly understated how bad it was. Gorbachev didn't even make a public statement on it for many weeks if I recall.

>They found dangerous isotopes, like the ones used to kill that Russian journalist

I can go to any land that was formed by sedimentation and get radiation and dangerous radioactive isotopes from any cubic meter of dirt I care to dig up. The issue is dose.

Watch this video

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCcutzXzYg

Its about a cameraman that didn't know the risk all he wanted to do was document the accident.

Fukushima?
Windscale fire?
5 mile island?

youtube.com/user/bionerd23/videos

This channel has some great videos of someone exploring the Chernobyl site, doing some pretty dangerous stuff.

They secretly wanted to release the radiation to unleash godzilla onto the world

I wish that people would stop being so blue-pilled about nuclear energy. It's by far our best choice for power but Hollywood and other fear mongering agents prevent it from being widely used.
Nuclear reactors don't fucking explode if they suffer total failure.

>Fukushima?
What about it? It wasn't the same design as the Chernobyl reactor. And it took the 3rd most powerful earthquake in history that killed 25,000 people and only had a single related death due to a heart attack of a worker.

>Windscale fire?
A stupid method was used but any real damage was stopped by the stack scrubbers.

>5 mile island?
What about it? No one was hurt, and the accident triggered a safety revision. Sure it sucks but we have far worse accidents all the time.

Properly designed reactors. The Chernobyl reactor, the RBMK-1000, had some flaws in it's design.

It'll never happen. We could likely have had free energy by now several times over but that would destroy the energy economy for the entire globe and that's MANY very rich and very dangerous people you would be making an enemy of immediately.

Sure it had a flaw but this was clearly a case of operator error.

They locked out the safety system below it's never operate below level. They entered into a human feedback loop of lowering water temperature and a lack of steam. They panicked and started a SCRAM way too late.

Again, my point is the potential damage from a single meltdown is huge and that over a long time a nuclear plant somewhere in the world is going to get fucked.

For example, what if Syria had built one before the civil war? Isis could have blown if up like they did with that other factory.