>2 years away
>not even close to achieving underwater sealabs

How did the 70s get it so wrong?

Attached: sea2020.jpg (1280x720, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Q8a2jmfMk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_habitat
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pretty much all future predictions thought that advancements in the future would be more rapid in areas of engineering than computing, when the opposite is what actually happened. Our modern cellphones shit all over science fiction devices from as late as the fucking 90's, but we don't have especially more advanced structures today, at least not wide-spread ones.

>he doesn't know China is working on it right now

At least we'll never have a Pod 6 to put up with

>Pretty much all future predictions thought that advancements in the future would be more rapid in areas of engineering than computing, when the opposite is what actually happened. Our modern cellphones shit all over science fiction devices from as late as the fucking 90's, but we don't have especially more advanced structures today, at least not wide-spread ones.
No, user.
Pretty much all future predictions thought society would continue to progress on a large scale, as opposed to slow-and-steady innovations in consumer trinkets like phones.

Of course, those have now all but ended (see Moore's Law). I wonder how the "everything is OK, society is progressing just fine on its own" crowd will justify things now...

I hate Pod Six.

WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US, WHAT TO DO

they assumed the mass of people would come together to make a benefit for mankind.

instead were dealing with sjw's, orange people and russians. America was a mistake

Why would we? We're capable of a lot of things but there usually has to be a payoff.

They could never have predicted this attitude.
>"Ugh, the ocean is so BORING, with it's varied environments, and vast majority of life on the planet, and wonderful scientific phenomena... Literal empty space is way more interesting, you guys!"
Yeah.

The war on poverty was seen as more important, like most social wars it never ended and became a massive money sink because it became peoples job to give other peoples money away.

>mfw there are mailbox heads posting on Sup Forums right now

Attached: 1515277514139.jpg (186x368, 32K)

HESH WANTS SOME SEX

>vast majority of life on the planet
Not for long due to heavy fishing and rising acidification of the oceans
Soylent Green takes place in 2022 and people always forget that the real problem in that stories is that the oceans are completely dead

>there are no feedback loops and all change is exponential
This is funnier than climate alarmists pretending that a realistic worst case scenario is 90% of the worlds energy would come from coal. Fuck off back to your thinktank, no one is buying the bullshit you are selling. See you in 2022 where everything is actually fine and you will have a new doomsday scenario to shill.

Neither space exploration nor poverty reduction have any serious money going to them right now.
At least in the US.

We need to deal with the Oompa Loompa problem plaguing our country.

>everything is fine, consume consume consume, nothing bad has happened yet so it never will
Dont have kids

>3 years away
>still no scorpion best friend to lay her eggs in my navel

Attached: file.png (500x307, 131K)

>2021 will be in 3 years
>that means adult swim will be 20 years old
>that means i'll be 35
jesus christ where does the time go

>live the life of a monk
>the world will end if you don't
>despite all predictions of the world ending being wrong so far
Happeningfags are the most entertaining to watch because they are always wrong but believe harder the more their half baked theories are debunked in real time. Its like a cult but you dont even get laid.

Does that mean the Soviet Union will come back?

uh oh

Say again, is that "uh oh", over.

kek hes the least of our issues. hes america embodied in one person. sjw's however will whine and cry until they get what they want. I dont particularly care for trump but hes got balls and i respect that

>35 on Sup Forums

the ride truly never ends does it friend?

I'm Bizarro Stormy.

Attached: bizarrostormy.jpg (400x400, 26K)

I come here less frequently now but yeah.

I'm married with a kid now and work from home, so that's nice.

that sounds like a good deal desu

I'm Regular Stormy!

it will be under a different name, but its close. we are almost just have to finish rebuilding a new imperial russia to overthrow.

>strawman right away
Thanks for playing, you do not pass go, you do not collect 200 dollars, shrieking that nothing has happened yet doesn't change the fact that things are getting worse, saying but change has happened before doesn't change that things are changing faster and more drastically than they have before
Recycling a bit instead of throwing everything in the trash and walking half a block to go buy some food instead of driving isn't difficult you fucking baby
>b-but if I stay contrary then I can laugh at everyone and feel smart, you can't break me down if I don't hold strong beliefs either way
Fuck off, and fuck off again for derailing a Sealab thread because you couldn't contain your autistic desire to act like a smug shit
Inb4 just pretending or u mad

if you're loookin for me
you better ch- oh, 2020
nevermind

youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Q8a2jmfMk

>no underwater sealabs
>no hoverboards
>not even flying cars
>or interstellar travel
Do we have ANYTHING?

tinder
snapchat
instagram
thots

>accuses me of strawmanning after he pretends soylent green in 4 years is a real possiblity
>immediately starts strawmanning even harder but with naughty words to prove he is serious
Keep swinging for the fences and pretend recycling matters.

>doesn't know what a strawman actually is
>n-naughty words
Retard
You have nothing, you are nothing, you'll continue to flail around posting nothing so you can have the last reply in the chain to feel good about yourself and like you "won"

Attached: 1522013995222.jpg (916x690, 102K)

The Distant Future of 1960 -- as seen from 1952.

Attached: Marvel Family 75-03.jpg (992x1360, 369K)

I made an accurate assessment of your neurotic personality and you further proved me correct by going on a rant about how I am a monster for any number of crimes and faux pas I must commit because I'm not as retarded as you. But you can claim victory by running away after your sperg out and being smug about it.

>all the shit men wanted is nowhere to be found
>all the shit women wanted basically came true
Like pottery. Fucking depressing pottery.

Why are people posting about that shitty adult swim reboot? This is supposed to be a thread about the Hanna Barbera Original. Now does any one remember that episode where they repaired the crashed tank before it exploded? Murphy even talked to his old underling. Then sealab exploded at the end anyways.

Attached: 71gdfgG4oBL._SY445_.jpg (312x445, 51K)

They didn't imagine:
>The Cold War would end
>Robots could de a better job
>ICT to be that awesome as it is now (and relatively cheap)
>Sup Forums to be a thing

That's because sci-fi writers rarely bother with factoring the cost and practical issues with the technology they write about.
>Underwater sealabs
Have existed since the 60s; Sealab itself is named after US Navy project. They're very expensive and require massive upkeep to remain functional.
>hoverboards
Various types of levitation technology exist, they're just not feasible to miniaturize that much or safe to operate like that.
>flying cars
Helicopters.
>interstellar travel
Unless the laws of physics as we know it are wrong, you can't go FTL. Even then, we have theoretical engines for interstellar travel, it's just that nuclear explosion powered spaceships have a host of engineering challenges.

Attached: slut.png (640x482, 441K)

I'm a skeleton

Attached: well.png (352x262, 161K)

God I wish Virjay could've gotten more scenes

Attached: Sak8rgpuUEqnFRsK-zPd7slvBHghwQ67DBpHVdhrGIE.jpg (500x362, 40K)

>as opposed to slow-and-steady innovations in consumer trinkets like phones.

It’s not as pants shittingly relevant as the birth of the modern computer in the 50’s but you’d be retarded to ignore how huge tv and later cellphones and later on smartphones were to the development of western civ over the past few decades, with much of the best/worst elements of modern day life springing from mass communication and information being so readily available.

The truth is that we haven’t evolved too much from the 50’s suburbia model because for most of the past few decades we haven’t needed to. Of course now we’re seeing cracks in the foundation but that’s more recent, like past 10 years at the earliest.

But it was a natural progression. Once rudimentary cellphones appeared, the existence of microprocessors literally guaranteed something like smartphones would eventually happen.
There's no major breakthrough here, no new invention that took the world by storm.

And TV is very, very old. Not a good example.

That’s right except for the last bit. There very well may be a trick to it, there’s just a massive hurdle between “get shit into space” and “go FTL”, way bigger than people expected, so progress is slow going. We may colonize the solar system in our lifetimes regardless, it’s anybody’s guess at this point.

ignore the text but look at all the iterations of phones

Attached: IMG_9436.jpg (472x546, 68K)

Well sure, most progress is incremental, it’s all just the advancement and application of existing technology paired with scientific progress. Science has breakthroughs, in invention breakthrough is a buzzword invented to draw investor hype.

That doesn’t negate how significant this particular application of technology has been. We are a radically different world than we were in the 70’s, we just didn’t wake up one day in Star Trek.

That all said it does kind of feel like many fields are brushing up against the boundary of development without another major breakthrough in science. If Standard Model turns out to be all there is well we’re kind of fucked as a species.

They have sealabs but theyre for research and not wacky antics

Attached: 0ec9ab03-2a2c-44ba-a38c-e49818b7b568.jpg (600x429, 33K)

Please stop

Attached: 99e3e748b3bedf281be962822ef4c287.png (411x501, 322K)

Well sure, but one of the key features of actual breakthroughs is unpredictability. But if there's one thing I remember from school in the early 2000s it's the constant talk of convergence in technology - it seemed like you couldn't open half the textbooks we used without reading it.

In fact, the only aspect of smartphones that I'd argue wasn't correctly predicted was just how many more years it would take for them to actually get off the ground. (Probably the fault of economists - perfect competition doesn't get things done, monopolies forcing products onto an initially unwilling market do. Like Apple and later Google in this case.)

Bottom line: it's not all that cool if you pretty much know it will happen, and even less so if it happens much later than you expect.

So I'm reading this thread, and he's being smug as fuck, but you're having this paranoid meltdown saying he's calling you a monster when all he said was shits fucked.
Calm down dude.

at least we don't have to deal with those assholes from pod 6

The only way flying cars can work is via automation and AI flying. We can barely drive normal cars without crashing them, now imagine literal cars that fly and crash through shit on the ground with 100% fatality rate for those in the sky AND on the ground. Compound that with old people + teens + alcohol.

nothing really just (what 10 years ago would be) super computers the size of your hand a global communication network and we are about to harness the power to create a fucking sun in around 30 years also quantum computers and self driving cars

So minor innovations on stuff we had decades ago, and extremely unlikely predictions?

Sounds like you're agreeing with the other user...

The second in command to Loompa Land’s finest is white Mola Ram.

Best progressives can hope for is keeping the idiot who refuses to listen to anyone else on the throne while politically castrating him by retaking the representational third of government while finding a Putin-proof candidate for 2020.

Also Ruth staying alive for at least three more years.

Attached: 9C66E461-5FBD-4BF4-9B6D-0B1EDC7F050E.jpg (185x272, 22K)

This makes me wish there was a cartoon about some 1950s scientists who are cryogenically frozen and wake up in 2020, expecting massive scientific leaps and bounds but end up disappointed

I don't know, I bet we could build one that would blow up within a year.

Not scientists, but the MLK Boondocks episode is close conceptually.

Would you put your brain in a robot body?

Only if I can be an Adrienne Babeau-bot

Noone remembers ANYTHING about the old show, because 2021 was so much better.

years away
>Thinks white people still exist let alone the majority
KEK

I am sure a good number of them would be thrilled that we didn't blow ourselves up with nuclear bombs and that the Ruskies lost.

We've had underwater labs since 1978.

I'M HELPING
I'M HELPING
I'M HELPING YOOOUUU

Attached: Telltale's The Walking Dead. Episode 2.jpg (320x240, 10K)

BIZARRO I LOVE YOU

Someone killed the visitor who has been influencing our culture for the last 60 years. In his death we were left with knowledge but people are greedy so those over the knowledge release something new ever 10 years or so. In short we're fucked and never gonna see Mars get a colony.

Attached: Q0mEJ.gif (460x230, 716K)

The way i feel like we have either regressed or moved so slowly in technologocal scales makes me resent scientists and inventors, and i honestly feel they should be tortued and shamed for leaving us in a dark age still, and forced to work in sweat shop conditions 24/7 with as little time allowed for sleep and other distractions until things like robots, genetic splicing, revived dinosaurs, and faster then light travel are achieved.

Attached: A9118368-55C7-4662-940C-109E015BA89B.jpg (813x1002, 215K)

Who?

cringe

Looking forward to it.

>someone creates a system to create a way to get us to the bright future we were promised
>you edgelord thats too mean
I hate pacifistic liberal babies

It's the only way to get world peace and advance as a species.

Says the baby who demands that people be tortured into making Rosie The Robot because housework is so hard.

Good sexbots are almost a thing.

At least im not the baby like you who throws a temper tantrum because people want to make the lazy faggots who stagnated society own up to their crimes

It's no wonder why technological progress is slow coming with retards like you walking around.

Maybe his cringe was at your xanga-tier blogshit. I know I did.

Scientists not building a waifubot that will have sex with you and do chores for you isn't a crime, fag.

only if it extends my human abilities with like super strength and stuff like that then yeah. burn my flesh to ashes

Yes if the body was vastly superior in every way or I was old and dying and it would extend my lifespan

Scientists are the lazy fags not doing their job, and retards defending them like you should be beaten senseless along with them
Again, keeping us technologically stagnant for half a century is a crime, and i can only hope one day many of them will pay with their lives

lol bring it on internet tough guy

I think I remember Retusupurae making fun of a concept like this in one of their videos.

Attached: 1959+Jan+4+CTWT+corner+grocermat+paleo-future.jpg (1200x566, 389K)

Copy that: we have "Uh-Oh", over.

Yo Doc! Have you seen Gus?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 10K)

How do you know we don't have them? Did you check under the sea?

This is so retarded you have to be trolling, but just in case a human being can sincerely be this retarded; I will say that conditions like that will hinder the scientist's ability to work.

Yes and what is your highest education?

Jesus

Martin Van Buren, duh.

They wont make anything ayways lounging around whining about grants and making nothing of importance or any type of breakthrough world changing devices, might as well make them suffer for doing nothing for all these years, so fuck you.

Actually, we'd be doing it but felt spending trillions to fight wars, line bankers pockets for their fuckups, & enriching the yellow horde to be more important than pushing the scientific envelope. Christ, there's nobs out there who froth at the mouth that the govt spends 0.13% of the annual budget on NASA and the NSF.

So what youre saying is if we glassed the middle east and china, and killed everyone in washington, then we could divert attention to achieving the glorious cyberpunk future we were promised?

Attached: D0E9B7E0-F3A2-4776-95F8-4382CAE9D0A1.jpg (612x612, 49K)

This. SEALAB I was constructed in 1964, in fact. By the 1970s it was not a new thing at all. Before that, Jacques Coustau had his ConShelf stations running (funded by private finance); there were numerous others, all competing to discover new diving techniques, explore the seabed, etc etc.

Wikipedia (unsurprisingly) has a writeup of most:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_habitat

But most of them are defunct because they either achieved their aim (they were after all science stations, not hotels) or became superfluous as other projects achieved the same goals.

NASA's NEEMO project has been running continuously since 2001, and is used as a training station for astronauts (being the closest you can get to simulating the effects of being stuck in a space capsule for extended periods and needing breather equipment to leave it without going to actual space). And you can stay in a number of underwater hotels around the world, if you're a rich cunt.