I've read that Claremont's run starts becoming a convoluted mess towards the end, at what point does it stop being good?

I've read that Claremont's run starts becoming a convoluted mess towards the end, at what point does it stop being good?

Attached: Giantsize1.jpg (257x399, 47K)

Huh? Are afraid you won't notice it?

It doesn't really ever get bad, but post-#200 things get too crossover heavy for me.

just drop it when you see Liefeld's name start appearing

I got off the bus at 200.

It was a great ride while it lasted.

Then you missed the Outback Saga, the Reavers, and Siege Perilous. Those were great reads for down-and-out X-squad

fpbp

Attached: rance02.png (186x220, 53K)

Make up your own mind, enjoyment is subjective.

What are all y'all's favorite arcs?

The one that really stayed with me is surprisingly M'Kraan Crystal, maybe because it took me completely off guard with how good it was.

Primo era was between about 120 and 185.
But even at its worst after that (through 280) it's still far better than any other X-shit ever except Morrison and Whedon's runs.

Seriously nit-picking the final stages of CC's initial run is pretty petty, almost a moot point. Once you read from Giant Size through issue 200 or whatever, you may as well keep reading, if you ever feel like reading anymore X-Men ever. WTF else are you going to do? Skip to Lobdell or Bendis era X-shit? Why would you not just continue on? Why not become familiar with the whole run through X-Men #3 1992?

Around the time that you stop enjoying it user

Around 200 it starts to being tied to various crossovers, and after some time there is the whole Jean ressurrection mess.
I wouldn't call it bad thou, some of my favourites stories are during the outback era, between 220-250.
My advice is keep reading what you enjoy, if you skip a page or 2 about things like Madelyne dealing with Scott being ruined by Marvel itself, nobody will notice it.

Brood Saga

Is there an Omnibus of all of Claremont's Stuff on X-men?
From what I've seen the omnibus only go up to 175.

Can't believe people stopped reading at 200, my favorite era is the outback team that came after that. The constant crossovers get annoying but none of them are actually bad.

Plus all the most famous villains are created during the crossovers, Apocalypse, Sinister, Sabertooth, Shadow King,

It slows down around 1988 and just loses the pot around 1990.

When he started getting dragged into crossovers it was the beginning of the end.

>When he started getting dragged into crossovers
When?

Mutant Massacre is the first big crossover event that happens with the X-Book. On its own it isn't bad, but it's a good signifier of how all the X-Books began to splinter and fracture in to multiple spinoff works, each of which would gradually become more and more independent on one-another to remain coherent.

It never stops being good but it definitely takes a hit once the New Mutants and X-Factor show up. You begin to really miss everything being contained to one book. If you're asking when you should stop I'd say read the entire thing, as well as the Claremont-written New Mutants and Excalibur.
Brood Saga is the peak.

It doesn't. It does stop being straight forward X-men. Jim Lee comes onboard and was like, "shit, how long since Magneto was fucking shit up?" And Claremont is all like, "I've written that story seven or eight times."

Claremont's X-ment evolves and grows into something different. If you like the Byrne stuff, stories like lifedeath might not be your speed.

>Liefeld

>writing Claremont Uncanny

Confirmed never having read the series.

Whedon or Morrison? In what universe! Name one morrison creation on par with Storm or Nightcrawler. Name one Whedon creation. Fuck, even Lee era X-men had Bishop, Cable and Deadpool.

Claremont era x-books were Teen Titans tier in relevance, a trumpet blast. Morrison's was a wet fart by comparison.

I was thinking X-Factor

No, and even if there were, you wouldn't have everything. The X-books expanded to include:

X-factor, a great book in its own right that introduced Nathan Cable, apocalypse, and archangel.

Alpha Force by Byrne and Bill Mantlo featuring artwork that includes While Portico, Jim Lee, and Mike Mignola.

New Mutants with important story arcs like Legion, Demon Bear and Asgard wars.

Excalibur with Alan Davis

Wolverine first with Claremont on for ten issues then starting around issue thirty I think Hama debuts with Marc Silvestri for arguably the characters seminal run.

He doesn't do that either, your thinking New mutants 87. And hate it though you may, those issues are great up until the series gets rebooted as X-force, when Liefeld gets the keys to the kingdom. He stops trying on his art and ruins the story. It isn't until he leaves that the book gets really good, completing its cleanup with #15 and the start of Capullo's run.

There's a difference between something being influential and something being good

When X-Factor was created in '86 it sorta changed the comics a lot. They retconned Jean's death so she could be on the team then they took Cyclops off of the main X-Men books so he could join and be with her. Then they start having big crossovers with X-Men/X-Factor/New Mutants every year.

When he starts working with Jim Lee.

When Jim Lee gets involved and editorial starts telling Claremont that people are there for whatever Lee wants to do, not whatever Claremont has planned.

wrekt

Claremont didn't create storm or Nightcrawler, Len Wein did.
Claremont was brought in for Uncanny #94, the first issue with the new team AFTER Giant Size #1.

this

You will notice when it starts climbing up its own ass

When does Claremont's run stop being good?

When it's over.