What does it say about a show if i feel more sympathy for the 'antagonists' ?

What does it say about a show if i feel more sympathy for the 'antagonists' ?

Attached: 1522103385101.jpg (1224x2168, 190K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mrsad.bandcamp.com/track/mirrored-2
youtube.com/watch?v=xQ5V1UdRFak
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That main characters suck

That they have an enough of a reason to do what they do where you can feel sympathy for them?

Well that depends. I imagine it's wholly intentional in some instances. I don't imagine this was one of those though.

In an average case, it would say that the show is a tragedy. In SU's case, it says that you've been given no reason to believe in Steven's cause.

Which isn't at all unusual. Steven's only goal is to protect his safe space from outside invaders. Most protagonists are interested in the 'truth'. A vaguely defined concept that has been passed down religion for thousands of years. But, Steven doesn't care, so why should we? The diamonds care, so we can empathise and show sympathy.

>feeling sympathy for the diamonds for one death
>when the diamonds corrupted thousands of garnet and pearl's friends and forced millions of their shards to become a part of the cluster

I think you got a bit too much influenced by the anti-sjw fanbase of steven universe.

Yes, Steven is a retard, a sissy, a pacifist and whatnot, but he DOES care about the truth, he is just too easily distracted by townie shit. He already got mad several times at the crystal gems for not telling him the truth, but he quickly forgots because he needs to play guitar in a band or he needs to go to see the newest dogcopter movie.
And his reason, whenever he is fighting, is not to protect his "save space", but because being killed and seeing your friends getting killed is not something ANYONE wants to experience.

In other shows it would be fine, but why here? All the gem empire wants to do is expand their empire(for whatever reason) and killing any organic life off. How is that sympathetic?

It proves that you are a Heretic.
Guilty.

Attached: 1494288028186.jpg (623x414, 139K)

I think your understanding of Steven's goals stand in line more with earlier SU than current SU. In current SU, we've seen Steven help out a unreasonable politician in his attempt to become mayor, despite Lars being in danger. We also see him care more about his spat with Connie, despite the fact that Pearl was in agony over trying to tell Steven the truth. It's days, perhaps even weeks, before Steven even goes to see Lars. The show we are currently watching features a Steven that cares more about his town staying the same, than he does about the people that make up that town; which is why I went hyperbolic with calling Beach City a safe space.

Depending on how the Diamonds were created and whether or not they created Gems to begin with.

If they are indeed the creators of Gems, it would make sense somewhat to sympathise with them. It'd be more akin to creating robots who then went on to forsake their initial programming and revolt against you. Because of their capabilities they put up a heck of a fight, even with your automatic shutoff button (destabilizers), but some are put down and scrapped for parts. Eventually one of the robots kills a creator, so you just bomb them and leave the planet they're on to explode. That there was life there is irrelevant; the place is the Gem equivalent of a biohazard and humans are ants compared to Diamonds. Rose was assumed dead anyway, so with corrupted Gems roaming about the human race would be likely dead if not for Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl.

This is all assuming Rose was the one who killed Pink though. If the obvious "Yellow killed Pink" plot is true, I'd need to know more about White to know how she got fooled too. Blue seems emotional and easily fooled.

As i said, he cares about all that stuff, he just has the stereotypical A.D.H.D., in which he gets distracted by other stuff until he gets reminded "oh right, my best friend is in space fighting an evil empire"

he is just an idiot, but he does care more about lars in danger than other stuff.

That still doesn't change anything. Most people can't sympathise A.D.H.D. and a lot of people call a show A.D.H.D. as a flaw or when outright insulting a show. You can sympathise with villains in grief, you can't sympathise with someone who's only getting dumber, as the show goes on.

So you would rather be on the side that is willing to kill you for being different, than the guy who gets distracted by a butterfly?

Sorry, but the more you try to explain yourself, the more you look like a retard.

Don't quickly jump to ad hominems and hypothetical situations. It makes you look desperate. The OP asked a question, I answered it. It's not my fault if you don't like an answer to a question.

>So you would rather be on the side that is willing to kill you for being different, than the guy who gets distracted by a butterfly?

We're outside observers. Completely detached from any personal danger. Thus we can look at the situation externally and see which side, despite their actions, has the better justifications. You can't just say "the bad guy kills people and killing is wrong" and call it a day. Especially when we have zero reason to like the good guy. So yes in this case people who are mindful and determined to carry out a wick goal are more relatable and interesting than a self indulgent retard who only can focus on his on whimsical fancies.

Steven is a bad hero. A good hero can get distracted or show weakness but we need some reason to connect wit him on on an emotional level.

that the protagonist(s) are fucking shallow/weak minded

Attached: amon.png (444x250, 147K)

He was helping Dewey because he wasn't really processing almost dying in space and why Connie was upset with him, as well as still riding the high of that martyr complex. He doesn't really have any reason to believe that Pearl is under a geas of some kind, and instead just feels like she's probably going to reluctantly say some stuff that probably isn't even true. Not making more of an effort to find Lion is a bad move. Also I don't really get what you're saying about Steven being concerned with the town staying the same, given how happy he was that things have changed, with the exception of Big Donut being closed for a while.

> You can't just say "the bad guy kills people and killing is wrong" and call it a day
When you remove all the important parts of my argument, yes, calling it a day then would be retarded. If you actually kept them in, you would realize that's more than just "killing is wrong"

"Especially when we have zero reason to like the good guy"
Being easily distracted or being a whiny sissy doesn't remove every other good thing the good guys(or just steven) does.

>but we need some reason to connect wit him on on an emotional level.
No we do not, that's not how sympathy works.
I couldn't care less if you were to die right here and now, however i would have sympathy with your parents, because i could imagine myself being in their shoes.
It's the same with Steven and thus not the case with the Diamonds. I don't see the benefits in any way of what the diamonds do. But Steven clearly does.

nothing about that is ad hominems or hypothetical, it's literally what the character in the story do. You can't talk about sympathizing with a character ignoring what they do and their motivation behind it.

Shattering a gem is overkill.
Poofing and bubbling is so foolproof, it basically makes shattering look like a heinous war crime.

>sympathy towards THOTs

Rot In Soy, Boy

In 2015 for a thread here in Sup Forums I wrote a folk-punk song dedicated to Lapis Lazuli, and like six minutes ago I just found out an real folk punk musician that I actually like wrote a song about Lapis Lazuli in the summer of the same year.

I will always live in the shadows of greater men. How do I deal with this feel?

enjoy the shade.
you don't need sunblock.

You could drop some links

Okay. Here's mine pls no bully mrsad.bandcamp.com/track/mirrored-2

And here's his: youtube.com/watch?v=xQ5V1UdRFak

You do what any reasonable person would do in your place...you sue for royalties.

>I will always live in the shadows of greater men. How do I deal with this feel?
Get used to it, someone WILL always be better. Best you can do is strive to be good.

To never stop believing in your ability to do good things, despite the greatness of others and the failures of yourself is like one of the central themes of Steven Universe.

Attached: 29541268_10214325115696196_8954304895358915869_n[1].jpg (960x720, 61K)

I feel like the instruments could maybe be tuned a bit better, but I liked your vocals and the lyrics are decent as well.

Thank you. At the time I was using this $6 child-sized Hello Kitty guitar I found at the Goodwill that was so shitty it couldn't be tuned. I mostly used it for the aesthetic when I went downtown and busked.

Attached: su phone background.jpg (576x1024, 66K)

Attached: greg van.jpg (576x1024, 94K)