Why hasn't modern Simpsons animated something as good as this scene?

Why hasn't modern Simpsons animated something as good as this scene?

Attached: homer heart attack.gif (480x362, 1.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Inkwell1931/status/974081941287862273
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because at this point they get the same amount of viewers whether they try or not.

One of the producers specifically storyboarded this himself to get it right.

>Why hasn't modern Simpsons animated something as good as this scene?

That was back when the voice actors got paid reasonable salaries. Since the 2000s, when they renegotiated their contracts, they now get paid $350,000 per episode.

By the time the voice actors get paid, there isn't any money left to animate the fuckin cartoon.

>lisa's VA makes the same as the ones doing 15 voices
Even behind the scenes Lisa is the worst.

That doesn't help but that's far from the only reason, you could see the animation already start to stagnate during that time. I think the real reason is that Al Jean is just a lazy hack, like with everything else. Also the reason the VAs demand higher salaries is because it's the only reason to stick around, they would leave the show otherwise (though that would probably be for the best).

>Why hasn't anything in western animation since 2010 animated something as good as this scene?
fixed

Because that's a heart act to follow.

Her VA is actually a really nice person

they could make disney quality movies by using one penny from every single piece of merchandise sold as the animation budget

I will ring your child over a fucking lions den.

I don't believe you. You're lion to me.

You know, this whole "Pay the cast nealy half-a-million" gets me wondering- Is it just the main cast, or do the supporting actors and guest stars get the same amount?

I may be wrong but I think the animation began to suffer when they moved away from Klasky Csupo in late 1992. I believe, given the fact that especially in those days animation work took the better part of a year, this would mean season 4 was the last that Klasky had a hand in.

Film Roman took over and was still good but began to hammer out everything in a more rigid manner. Pretty sure this was by design though, if you listen to Simpsons commentary in the early seasons they constantly bemoan the occasional artistic flourish that dared to stray from their “rules.” David Silverman in particular is very vocal about these rules and this dogmatic adherence has forced the Simpsons animation into a very safe stiff monotonous production.

The shift to digital animation around season 14 further stifled any actual style from accidentally creeping in. Coupled with the rising salary for the voice actors, this digital method allowed for cheap shortcuts in animation. It’s been discussed to death but the opening animation with Marge in the supermarket is the perfect example. Rigid animation, fewer frames of movement, dogmatic adherence to on-model animation.

If I was in charge I would send Lisa off to a private school out of state (but also in a nondescript town like Springfield), have Marge join her because she is concerned about Lisa. Make the show revolve around Homer, Bart and the endless cast of Springfield. One episode a season for Lisa & Marge.

This solves a few problems:
1. Julie Kavner needs a damn break, her voice is shot.
2. Yeardley Smith sucks and doesn’t deserve the money that the much more talented staff earns. Fuck you, take what you can get.
3. Lisa and Marge bring nothing to the table anymore and yet Lisa constantly takes center stage either because the production director needs to justify her exorbitant salary by making her work more or because the writers all have hardons for her holier than thou character. Move on without them.

Two dubs and a trips plus fpbp, Truly this is undisputable

>You know, this whole "Pay the cast nealy half-a-million" gets me wondering- Is it just the main cast, or do the supporting actors and guest stars get the same amount?

Supporting cast, no. Maggie Roswell quit the show because Fox wouldn't pay her more and she had to commute a great distance to record her lines (all she really wanted was travel compensation for her commute, which Fox refused to pay).

Guest stars, if they're celebrities, likely get a sweet paycheck depending on how big they are. Guest stars who are just other voice actors, like Maurice Lamarche, probably just get paid scale.

The main Simpsons cast are INSANELY wealthy due to their contract renegotiations over the years. Nancy Cartwright is actually the highest dollar donor to the Church of Scientology, giving them more money per year than even Tom Cruise.

>Why hasn't modern Simpsons animated something as good as this scene?

They can't go off-model. Matt Groening hates it when The Simpsons gets too cartoony, which is why later seasons has everyone stiff.

That's not to say Modern Simpsons can't do great animated sequences, but they're held back by their inability to go off-model.

twitter.com/Inkwell1931/status/974081941287862273

The last scene with Homer and Bart has some amazing acting; most likely directed by David Silverman.

They get all their "fun" animation out of their systems now when they do guest animator couch gags. That way the episodes-themselves can be stiff and on-model. I guess its a compromise.

Counterpoint.

Attached: 726927.gif (480x360, 625K)

They spend too much effort on the couch gag for the actual episode to be any good

I HATED this scene. Whenever heart stuff happens in a tv show it makes my heart feel weird. This is probably the worst scene in all of tv for that.