Sup Forums, organized labor has been called a "lumbering dinosaur"

Sup Forums, organized labor has been called a "lumbering dinosaur"...

Attached: 1149113.jpg (640x480, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2j3ZNUxqo9M
static1.squarespace.com/static/573b5f2bf85082a897b58171/t/5744d7412eeb81eea07b42bc/1464129347232/EJ_Financial Crises.pdf
cartoonbrew.com/artist-rights/rick-and-morty-artists-push-to-unionize-their-show-and-succeed-103655.html
cartoonbrew.com/artist-rights/rick-and-morty-co-creator-justin-roiland-fuck-the-union-103723.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sneed

CHUCK

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 42K)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Ha ha, boy did Simpsons hate unions.

I bet that didn't have a negative effect on the generation raised on it.

WHERES MY BURRITO

It just has conservatives echoing irl conservative talking points. Aside from some "haha organised crime" nonsense they don't say a lot. There's no way jokes like this about boring tv had more of an effect than hearing the same stuff unironically on actual talk shows and in actual newspapers.

The episode was pretty even handed honestly

Let me be blunt. Is there a labor crisis in America today?

Attached: tumblr_lr52vz6yrp1r2i7nxo1_500.jpg (500x379, 60K)

even handed isn't the same thing as honest or objective

youtube.com/watch?v=2j3ZNUxqo9M

I couldn't even imagine not having unions, how do you keep workers from being abused if they have no voice?

Then maybe it was meant to be opinionated?

I don't see why you're holding a grudge over people using their personal creations to voice their positions.

WHAT a union in this time of the year?

It doesn't match his preferred echo chamber perfectly so he feels offended

Classic Krusty used to be for the people you know.

Now it's just for kids.

Maybe read up on how labour relations broke down in 1970s Britain and the constant rolling strikes they had to endure. Unions may be necessary but they can get too powerful.

It's a comedy, even handed is the best they can do and yet people like you still bitch about it.

>we're relevant!
no you aren't

>tfw popular media shits all over the unions, one of the few ways working people can protect themselves from bosses
>yfw the proles are downstairs making your dividendies.

Attached: 11242345634.png (665x606, 58K)

Well that depends on what you mean by "crisis"...

Thank God Maggie Thatcher sorted that all out.

My dad was a Teamster, and had nothing nice to say about the national organization. There is a reason why people are iffy about unions even if they'd benefit.

There are inherent problems in a system that only works if it builds a monopoly over the commodity it controls. Unions are a poor substitute for the only thing that really improves the lot of workers long term, and that's tight labour markets.

So what you're saying is, we need competing unions?

Attached: 1517495078427.jpg (902x635, 460K)

It's not that system only works if it builds a monopoly, it's that the free rider problem is legally enforced in many cases. Tight labor markets aren't a feasible solution, as labor markets are in constant fluctuation.

What I'm saying is that a proper system of industrial mediation and arbitration backed up by a fiscal policy designed to tighten labour markets when they get too slack would obviate the need for a system based on 19th century notions of class war and endless social conflict.

Tightening labor markets through fiscal policy simply clusters new jobs around unskilled labor, as those are the easiest jobs to create.

If one used the old method of using fiscal policy to shore up consumption spending, yes that is true. But if one instead uses fiscal policy to support capital investment and business confidence then labour demand is strengthened across the board.

static1.squarespace.com/static/573b5f2bf85082a897b58171/t/5744d7412eeb81eea07b42bc/1464129347232/EJ_Financial Crises.pdf

How do you keep the unions from abusing their members if they are compelled to join?

Why would unions abuse their members? Unlike corporations, they have no built-in incentive to do so.

(Isolated cases of psychopathic leadership don't count - you can find those in literally any type of organization.)

Because any organisation built on compulsory contribution is going to attract corruption like rotten meat attracts flies.

The free market, of course

Unions haven't been compulsory in most countries for ages, they're strictly opt-in now.

The closed shop is illegal in the US, but not the union shop, which requires membership in a union as a condition of continued employment but not for hiring.

t. leftypol shitposter

>Unlike corporations, they have no built-in incentive to do so.
>What are union fees
>What are corporate kick-backs
>What are rolling strikes

Unions have to justify there own existence.

If everyone's happy, who wants to be paying out union fees? So the union's best course of action is to constantly stir the pot, regardless of it being in the work forces best interest or not.

There is a shocking disposition against unions in this thread. I guess no one here has seen a union job versus nonunion job. Guess which ones pays 3 times as much, has better job security and better benefits?

If you have watched the episode, it made serious jabs at all sides. It didn't pull punches about how employers can seriously fuck over their employees either.

But the Simpsons literally have an episode about the benefits of strikes.
THEY HAVE THE PLANT
BUT WE HAVE THE POWER

Which one has a DENTAL PLAN

The private sector non-unionized one.

Correct me if I"m wrong, but aren't the writers and actors on the Simpsons all union?

>Sup Forums Fiscal and labor policy.

Why are you shocked? Think of it this way. If you're not in the union, the most likely interface you have is the extra cost as a customer for that extra pay and benefits.

You know the thing Blair and Clinton did to socdems?
The exact same thing happened to unions as well.

There is.
Though there is a bit of politicking involved.
At some point, business and government realised that industrial workers tend to be more left-wing than the usual folks. So they did a massive cut and moved everything to sweatshops in third world countries, leaving cities like Detroit a huge unemployed wasteland.
Meanwhile the agrarian sector gets HUGE subsidies. To the point, where they effectively could end world hunger 10 times over, but there are no profits to be made from this. Coincidentally rural dwellers tend to be conservative.
And this is not only the case in the US.

Writing and animation unions are 'different' because they're 'creative', not hairy knuckle draggers like those 'other' unions.

Yeah and the only thing holding Britain together is the City of London and Scottish oil.
One FTT and Scottish independence later and you are basically a third world shithole.

It's funny, because when Rick and Morty writers and animators tried to get medical and dental, Dan Harmon fired them all, which caused the hiatus between season 2 and 3. He also masked it as a "push for diversity", since he had to replace them with his closest friends and literally random people on twitter who were mean to Trump once.

Oh yeah and this is also the reason why the "It'sa coola show" Italian doesn't appear anymore.

>Unions have to justify there own existence.
Workers wanting higher salaries justifies their existence. The only way to get those is through unions (hence wage decline in their absence).

The only private sector jobs that offer any benefits at all are those that are terrified of unionization in the first place.

Oddly enough union membership is skyrocketing among young people.

>union
>job

Lmao, unions fucking ruined the coal mining industry

Attached: 370119.jpg (640x480, 54K)

If that's true then that explains why season 3 was so fucking boring. I'm glad it didn't get renewed.
If not true then I don't care because season 3 was so fucking boring.

Really? Where? From what I know more and more young people are economic (though not social) conservatives.

Here in Canada anti-union sentiment is getting to be a near-universal value now, like free trade or even capitalism itself.

>tfw George Meany is a real person

Well I can tell you that working 16 hours a day and 12 on a Saturday. Only to bring home a $400 paycheck blows dick.

cartoonbrew.com/artist-rights/rick-and-morty-artists-push-to-unionize-their-show-and-succeed-103655.html
cartoonbrew.com/artist-rights/rick-and-morty-co-creator-justin-roiland-fuck-the-union-103723.html

While it says "succeeded", everyone who participated in this is gone now.