Would you be shocked to learn that South Park co-creator Trey Parker isn't...

Would you be shocked to learn that South Park co-creator Trey Parker isn't, despite carving out a career making fun of literally everyone and anything under the sun (including pretty much all the world's major religions) not an atheist? His partner in crime, Matt Stone is, but Trey has some unusual definition of God that he briefly mentions in this nightline interview towards the end...

(the universe has consciousness?)

youtube.com/watch?v=0TVd9-QaXsw&t=404s

Attached: south-park-15th-anniversary-celebration---red-carpet.jpg (300x300, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GaTVOSE1AQU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No.

sounds like you're reaching

Not really, I'm just a pretty big fan and have been following them for years, and it's come up a few times in interviews with 'em. Trey's insisted a few times he's not an atheist, which to me could be perhaps considered surprisign considering the fact that they're always ripping on Jesus and mormons and what not.

You don't have to be an atheist to poke jabs at religion. If anything it can be because you're of a religion that you can make accurate or self-reflecting jokes.

Of course, yeah I know that.

Already knew that, but it's just further proof of his one true religion. Contrarianism.

Both creators just love trolling. It's their foundational belief. During the Bush years they would make fun of him or support him depending on who was in the room. Whenever someone is easily mocked, they refuse and act all holier than thou about it. They exist only to make fun of people who have strong beliefs in something. Even that atheism criticism episode was just a lazy "hey, let's make Dawkins sleep with a tranny" and then imply that any strong belief leads to you trying to kill everyone who disagrees with you. Then wrap it up by saying all strong beliefs or "isms" are garbage.

The second their views become mainstream, they change course too.

Attached: smile.gif (500x500, 907K)

The Bush thing was funny though.
They're generally good at doing that and
still being funny about it. If you can succeed
at being funny about it, why not going for it?
I'm not saying they always succeed though.

Who cares, South Park has been trash for over 10 years.

I'm also not sure that's a uniquely Parker/Stone quality you're describing there. People in general are like that, and we can all relate it one some level. If the culture around you is strongly insisting you ought to feel a certain way about something, and it can often lead you to rallying against that ideal out of exhaustion or just being fed up. Like if you keep insisting that drugs are bad, that'll make the kiddies wanna try the drugs more than anything else.

Why should I care about someone I never met's religious beliefs?

No where did I say that they are never funny about it. After all... some trolling is fun to watch, obviously. It just that it is ALWAYS their MO. Nothing they do or believe is that surprising through that lens.

Sounds like Sup Forums.

More the scale and emphasis they put on it. Of course people get stubborn about some things. It's just that Parker and Stone admit to in interviews enjoying going to parties or get togethers and deliberately taking up positions they know will piss people off in conversations. They seek it out, and it colors all of their work.

>Trey Parker isn't, despite carving out a career making fun of literally everyone and anything under the sun (including pretty much all the world's major religions) not an atheist
>Trey Parker isn't not an atheist
>is not not

Attached: 1376472744824.jpg (180x191, 6K)

Maybe, I don't think they get invited to parties anymore if there more recent interviews are anything to go by. One thing that was kinda off was that the insistence that all politicians were douches or turds, but then they were very anti-trump, so it's like, yeah you totally took a side there. Can't blame them for it, but it's still a side..

You can believe in god and still make jokes at his expense.

>isn't not
wtf are you on about user?

Remember the time they seriously made fun of Richard Dawkins? Listen to those commentaries and you'll see.

He views religion as sort of a macro Mormonism IE "it works for some people that need it so don't destroy it"

They've never really been "above it all", it's just that whoever is in power they mock. So while Trump was running they entertained it and made Garrison more "overwhelmed" sympathetic... but then Trump won, so they had to pivot.

>Whenever someone is easily mocked, they refuse and act all holier than thou about it. They exist only to make fun of people who have strong beliefs in something.
/ourguys/

Sounds like a headwreck because you have to keep switching sides and ideals just to maintain that stance!
He says in the interview above that "it'd take too long for me to explain it to you" referring to his definition of god "but basically, the universe has consciousness". I guess man still believes he's going somewhere someday after death, which to me is pretty interesting, considering the fact that all religions insist you gotta be nice and help people, and noone knows that more than Parker, he wrote the fucking Book of Mormon which required a close understanding of Mormonism.

Hey God, pull my finger.

>isn't not

You're doing great!

so they're centrist scumbags. i can totally see that

atheism isn't a belief though. it's a disbelief. so it's over the top agnosticism

A disbelief is still a belief man. It's not the absence of a belief. You still have opinions and (hopefully) logic to back it up. It's not an anti-thought.

You'd be surprised how many cynics are theists with their own very uninteresting version of """God""".

TL;DR: they punch up.

Depends. You could not believe there's a God or you could believe there is no God.

He's a skeptic, not a cynic. Don't you know anything about South Park? If he really does have his own clear cut definition of God (that is apparently so complex that he doesn't have time discuss it during a nightline interview, that's actually pretty impressive and cool of him. Most people are either devout believers or just sternly atheist. I'd definitely be interested in hearing his views towards God myself, but if he ever revealed, he'd probably have to make fun himself, and that'd open up a blackhole that'd suck everything in and bring about the end of the universe, so we're left perpetually wondering..

>)

You mean the people who go out of their way to avoid offending religion and go on tangents about atheists aren't atheists?

How shocking

Trey pls, get over yourself.

Most folks that aren't Muslim can poke fun at their religion.

>"isn't not a atheist"
Nice double negative.

>Isn't not an atheist
So he is an atheist?

I'm sorry, what I meant to say is "He isn't not NOT an atheist." I'll try to be more clear next time.

Does anyone know why there talking about The SImpsons on this thing or if there's more of this documentary or whatever it is? It looked good
youtube.com/watch?v=GaTVOSE1AQU

That feel when Trey Parker's mind got completely wrecked when he met his mormon girlfriend in high school

Attached: trey parker mormon.jpg (565x306, 58K)

This has got to be the dumbest post that misunderstands what agnosticism is that I've ever seen.

But it was such a huge catalyst to his career..

sadly atheism became a religion itself

Attached: 220px-The_God_Delusion_UK.jpg (220x335, 19K)

>all religions insist you gotta be nice and help people
No. No they assuredly do not ALL insist this.

Sure, there's extremists but a lot of the major religions are about peace and love and togetherness and so on. They embrace Kindness and goodwill towards you're fellow man in the place of anger and aggression, generally speaking.

So what's the point here? Should we all get our fedoras and personal army over to some other place and attack it because your sensibilities are hurt?

user, I think that goes without saying :)

Trey always seems to do almost all of the talking when the two of them are being interviewed

Damn, are you so dense you can't comprehend spirituality without organized religion?
>hurrrr durrrrr, God is a man with a big white beard in the clouds.

It's called being agnostic you turd

Except if it was actually good it wouldn't be an organization

Speaking as a barely CE Catholic let me tell you, the best jabs at things come from those that are on the inside.

CE?

duh, buncha spergs on both sides.

Christmas-Easter. It's what we call lazy bastards like me who show up on the two big holidays and steal the pews.

Gross. I celebrate those too, but refuse to associate them with the religion in my family.

"He's been explaining it to me for a while and I still don't get it.." I think I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that room during his explanation. If Matt Stone doesn't get it must be pretty interestingly complicated, because Matt comes across as being sharp as a tack most of the time.

I hate his guts and wish he would die. Fuck him, fuck his show, fuck his fat fans.