William Messnar-Loebs' Wonder Woman

This run is great, and the mockery typically leveled at it is unwarranted.

Attached: taco13.jpg (400x618, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXeFPpPJeI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why are there onion rings inside that taco

>he doesn't order onion rings with his taco

You can start all the threads you want, Billy, but we're not gonna buy you a house.

Wow, you're a real piece of work.

Brian Bolland legitimately didn't know what Mexican food looked like

>Feeding people is a just and dignified occupation.
Diana, pls.

Attached: Taco Wondy.jpg (650x953, 183K)

This run is garbage, and Messnar-Loebs deserves to be the homeless, armless, widowed fuck that he is today.

I mean just compare him to god-tier writers that deservedly became successful like Johns, Kirkman and King and you'll realize that there is no place for trash like Messnar-Loebs.

William Messnar-Loebs is a criminally underrated author, his Flash run was great as well, and Epicurus the Sage the sage was pretty fun, but his works get no love.

Pushing too hard for this to work right.. You're probably better off pushing him as irresponsible, and overrated. Or go with a backhanded complement or two, and THEN insult him.

Loved his Dr. Fate run as well.

>tfw none of his stuff will ever be reprinted
After all, editorial will have to acknowledge WML exists.

this was the last time Wonder Woman had good writing

>reprint his run
>leave out Space Pirates and Taco Whiz part
bravo dc

Attached: barney.png (558x421, 223K)

>leaving out Space Pirate Diana and Taco Whiz
For what purpose?

Oh wait, I know why.
>MUH GREEK MYTH

Why did Diana work at Taco Bell and why did DC think this was appropriate for a JLA level character?

No, because they only reprinted the Deodato issues.

Because she hadn't been in the League for years, you casual.

>NOODLES IN A TACO SHELL

Delicious.

And that was specifically the end of his run. That trade contains the first random issue that Deodato did, and then the rest of his stuff (all of Artemis, Artemis as Wonder Woman, and her death)
I wonder if WML was supposed to get cheques for that.
What if all his mail went to the dead trailer park?

>Why did Diana work at Taco Bell
She had been stranded in space for a few months. After she came back, Themyscira had disappeared, again, and a glitch in the Watchtower computer caused her MIA status to get stuck, and therefore unable to collect her stipend. Hence, she had to get a job, but being magical princess don't exactly impress anyone on a resume, you see.

>and why did DC think this was appropriate for a JLA level character?
Why not? No reason why cape stories should be limited to fighting whatever huge universe destroying threat has popped up this week.

It's a truly excellent run
It was creative without being destructive. It used the characters and mythos that were already in place, but it took Diana to truly NEW places instead of revisiting things she's already done

Diana in spaaaace, living in the city fighting gangs, losing to Artemis, having conflict with her mom, all of this stuff was really memorable and added to her history more than literally anything that ever happened to her pre-Flashpoint. Not only that, but they contributed to the reader's understanding of her character, which Loebs understood excellently, see and pic related

And to be cynical, I imagine DC doesn't want people to remember those moments because they don't fit into the "Greek gods and swords" niche they really want her to be associated with

Attached: Wonder Woman V1987 #74 (of 228) - Greatness Calls (1993_5) - Page 5.jpg (1988x3056, 977K)

>And to be cynical, I imagine DC doesn't want people to remember those moments because they don't fit into the "Greek gods and swords" niche they really want her to be associated with
Speaking of which, that's another great thing about this run, a lack of obnoxious god drama. The only Olympian who has any significant role is Ares, and even then it's more a projection of him. It's damn refreshing not having to to put up with those glorified hillbillies.

Read a fucking comic you dumb casual

>be super strong from a tech advance soceity
>can only get a job at Taco Bell

Holy fuck that’s retarded. No wonder no one reads Wonder Woman if this is supposed to be one of her best stories.

>implying super strength and being foreign are valid qualifications
You wot, mate?

Also, the Amazons didn't have advanced tech at the time.

It's explained in the comic and it was partially a commentary on widespread unemployment at the time

Attached: Wonder Woman V1987 #73 (of 228) - Losses (1993_4) - Page 9.jpg (1074x1650, 370K)

>A person who can lift more than any industrial machine and move FTL can only get a job at Taco Bell

Are all Wonder Woman fans as retarded as you?

Attached: Wonder Woman V1987 #73 (of 228) - Losses (1993_4) - Page 10.jpg (1074x1650, 275K)

>no top on the cup
Triggered. youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXeFPpPJeI

>having super strength somehow gives you trade knowledge and experience
Being able to lift don't mean shit if you don't actually know what you're doing.

Also
>implying Diana can move at faster than light speed
I repeat, you wot, mate?

>industrial machine
gee whiz I wonder why she couldn't get a job lifting and moving things

>being a magical princess doesn’t impress on a resume

Speed of Hermes, Beauty of Aphrodite, Strength of Demeter, and skill of Aphrodite coupled with years on the worlds greatest paramilitary team doesn’t qualify you for more than fast food

I can see why this story didn’t get reprinted.

I think it's also reasonable to think WW fucking sucks at understanding basic shit like resumes, job applications, basic work ettiquite and shit like that.

I think it's no worse than Hal being an economic fuckup.

Because autists take a lighthearted joke way too seriously?

I'd take it over what everyone's favourite golden boy Rucka shat out.
God, I hate that hack. Only nostalgiafags like Rucka's WW.

Haha I like her mindset

While asking, "why not modeling or ad work?" is a valid question, physical traits aren't particularly important to most jobs, and most importantly, Diana is a foreign national with a diplomatic visa, not a work visa.

A lot of the jobs she could get with that skill-set would require either helping, or hurting people for money, neither of which she wants to do.

>I never read it but it's shit
Kill yourself you dumb nigger. Stop making every excuse not to read comics.

>Being able to lift don't mean shit if you don't actually know what your'e doing

So throw in a foreman to tell her. She can still out compete and entire construction company.

>You wot mate
She has several FTL feats. Even if you low ball Speed of Hermes to match the low power levels of pre-Morrison 90's DC you still got someone who moves faster than a bullet.

Even acting as a one-woman demolition team is substantially more useful and lucrative than Taco Bell.

Fuck, forget brute force. Beauty of Aphrodite means she wins a lot of jobs and not just modeling. She is literally the most beautiful person on the planet, or at least one of THE most beautiful people.

>physical traits aren't particularly important to most jobs

They are when you can literally move planets with your muscles and move fast enough to fight Professor Zoom.

>Diana, we need you to plow trenches so we can irrigate these farms and then smash through this mountain so we can mine ore

She knocks it all out in an afternoon and has enough money to live comfortably for the rest of her life.

Or just get her a job transporting cargo. She's superstrong, superfast, and can fly. UPS will pay fucktons for her just to fly laps carrying warehouses on her back.

She's not some enhancile weenie like Captain America. She's more powerful than any modern army on Earth. She doesn't do physical labor. She does acts of god.

>Diana, can you just throw this probe at the sun so we can take readings?

She can literally just throw shit in the air and make more money than some countires.

Modeling is chock full of absolute sleazoids. I could imagine one of them trying to casting couch her, and her knocking him the fuck out. I didn't read the entire run, so I don't know if they actually did that.

it sucks

>So throw in a foreman to tell her.
That's not really what a foreman does.

>She can still out compete and entire construction company.
Yes, and I'm sure she'd be more than happy to put several people out of a job by doing that.

>she has several FTL feats
No she doesn't. Diana cannot, and never has been able to move at faster than light speed. Dawnstar of the Legion of Super-Heroes can, any given Flash can if they try hard enough, but Wondy cannot. I don't know where you got this idea from, but it's incorrect.

Supernatural beauty means you can get more than modeling. Way more. Any job requiring looking friendly and presentable from airline stewardess to sales agent you pretty much auto win when you literally have the attractiveness of a divine being.

It sure does look that way. Wonder Woman at Taco Bell, what were they thinking?

She beat out someone to get the job at Taco Bell.

>Diana cannot and never has been able to move faster than light speed

Shattered God.

its the only good Wonder Woman story ever

in related news, Pedro Pascal has been cast in Wonder Woman 2, possibly as Ed Indelicato

Well they do show up in some stories where Diana calls on them to help her in a given situation. Like when she calls on Pan to help her outjoke the Joker.

>It sure does look that way. Wonder Woman at Taco Bell, what were they thinking?
They were thinking "Boy, unemployment has really gotten out of control, a comic that examines this pervasive social issue would be a compelling direction to take this book."
Casual.

The point of this arc was that she wanted to do things the way a normal person would and not use her powers or fame
Again, this was partially the comic commenting on the rampant unemployment and class divide problem at the time, as well as something that is in-character for Diana

You're not gonna find an offer for smashing through mountains in the newspaper. Getting an interview for an entry-level position as a foreigner with no work experience isn't going to turn into a job flying cargo across the planet

All of this was in service of the story and the character. Diana wanted to get in touch with the plight of the working class, there was more to it than just getting financial support

A common complaint about Wonder Woman was that she was too gifted for some readers to relate to. While I've never felt this way and love hyperbolic adventures, I think Loebs achieved the story he wanted to tell and related the character of Wonder Woman to people who otherwise wouldn't have been receptive of it

I suppose I can understand if you just can't accept such a direction for the character and I don't think your opinion is wrong, but I also think your criticism of its execution is unwarranted since you haven't even read the story

Wasn't Starfire a model around this time period, with Donna as a photographer? They could have hooked her up, but I am ignorant as to what was going on with Donna at this time.

It’s officaly known as the Mike Deodato run.

Only the back half of the run. For the first couple years it had a variety of different artists

>Be the only other girl on the team
>Be the photographer for the other girl's modeling career
Damn. Is there anything more mortifying and humiliating?

He could also be Sebastian Ballesteros.

I would like to see someone bring up Taco Whiz as a rebuttal to Veronica Cale. It's the perfect counter to Cale's entire motivation against Diana.

>It sure does look that way. Wonder Woman at Taco Bell, what were they thinking?
Why do you even object to this idea?

There are so many Wondy supporting characters who have been forgotten. Ed Indelicato, Myndi Mayor, Trevor Barnes, pretty much any given Amazon who isn't Hippolyta... Makes me sick that nobody uses these characters.

You could have read six issues and actually formed an opinion in the time you've been speculatively shitposting. Please kill yourself.

>more mortifying and humiliating?
Does the name Teddy Long ring a bell?

I'd also put cuckqueening but that wasn't a thing back then.

>be the preferred photographer of the world's only extra-terrestrial fashion model in a field that runs on connections and cronyism
How terrible it must have been for Donna to work closely with her friend.

>but I also think your criticism of its execution is unwarranted since you haven't even read the story
Well this is Sup Forums. Most of the people here will actively fish for excuses to not read comics than bother actually trying to form their own opinion on something.

How is Sup Forums bullshit at all related to comic books?
>B-B-BUH IS DUH SAME IP
That's like saying what beer the fatfuck playing Mickey at disney world likes is relevant to Walt's animation techniques

Oh so because she's a superhero she should just get a better day job than me? Luthor was right

To be fair Mindi and Trevor are dead
Trevor really was a great character, though. I kinda wish they had just transplanted his entire character onto Steve post-Flashpoint, but I guess that would interfere with the direction Johns wanted to go with Wondie's world

I can forgive it in this case because Aunt Patty seems to be doing more with WW's world and history than any of the actual comics writers right now save Liam Sharpe, and the movies have a potential to do more good for the comics than any run she's had since Perez

Being the camerawoman instead of trying a little modeling herself meant Donna tapped out and gave the role of Alpha Female to Kory without a fight.

>cuckqueening
Explain. How did Donna get cucked?

Don't you love Terry, user? Please love him!

I haven't read any of the stuff involving her and Kyle but I think they had some sort of relationship problems?

Attached: tlfc.png (300x400, 169K)

>Donna loses Kyle to Jade
What is it with Donna playing the beta girl to chicks with weird skin tones?

What the IS the direction Johns is trying to go? Cause at the moment, all he seems to be doing is forcing his Fourth World fanfic down our throats, and constantly shilling his OCs. This supposed direction has fuck all to do with Diana herself.

Like, you're right, based Aunt Patty clearly gives way more of a damn about this character and franchise. Much as I like the cut of her job, that's still fucked up.

they aren't any good

>He could also be Sebastian Ballesteros.

I don't see it. It's already going to be a female Cheetah. He doesn't look like a Sebatian Ballesteros type. And Sebastian Ballesteros fucking suck.

Trevor's character and role in the story was completely unlike Steve's though. Also Trevor was rather detached, in setup, from a lot of WW's story elements; once you move away from the diplomatic stuff he's basically just the boyfriend. Everything that happened to him was largely reactive to his relationship with Diana.

Fashion photography is more cutthroat business than modeling; it's easier to find a good model than it is to find a good photographer.

I'm not against the idea of Terry Long. I think there's potential for a story about a normal guy wooing a superheroine.

But not like that. Oh god, not like that.

Robinson is writing WW. And he's more interested in faffing about with long lost brothers and killing off Diana's GA rogues. Johns' Fourth World stuff was arguably more important to Metal than WW.

Doctor Poison wasn't that great in the comics either but the films aren't the comics. She could be using him as a background villain, a straight up corporate villain (he was business tycoon afterall), or possibly even setting up Silver Swan or Circe in addition to, or in place of, his role as Cheetah.

This is all projection on my end but internally I accredit Johns with being the one who around Infinite Crisis decided "Wonder Woman needs a new direction and stuff to differentiate her from other superheroes, so let's focus entirely on the Greek angle and make her use a sword", making her the magic representative of the trinity despite her really knowing nothing about magic, making Steve into Nick Fury, etc. Or at least SOMEONE in editorial wanted this to be the direction and it's continued ever since

Again that's projection and stems from it being a personal pet peeve of mine but I think there must be at least a little truth to it

Like a lot of Jimenez's ideas I think Trevor's execution left a lot to be desired, but I think there was more to him than you give him credit for. He had a lot in common with pre-Crisis Steve, particularly Golden Age Steve: he was usually the one who pointed out how ludicrous all the situations he was in were, he was capable in his own right but often the one Diana was protecting, and of course he sometimes even served as eye-candy. He was simultaneously a subversion of the girlfriend role in the same way Lois Lane is, and a subversion simply from the fact that he's male

Of course naturally he has the same issue Lois has had several times in that his role in a story is too tied to being the girlfriend, and has little agency outside of being a helper to Diana, most exemplified by the Skartaris arc, but in terms of his personality and background, I think there was something to work with

He also was used to represent the type of reader who found Diana too stuck up, too perfect, unrelatable, which I found to be a bit too on the nose

Attached: Wonder Woman V1987 #188 - Wonder Boys (2003_3) - Page 17.jpg (1988x3056, 1.21M)

Outside the creepy self-insertion and hanging out with a bunch of teenagers, Terry isn't even that bad as a point of comparison to Donna and it makes sense why she'd be attracted to him.
>Hi, I'm Donna, I spend my days fighting supervillains and getting entangled in the affairs of gods and myths. Since I started talking my personal history has had three different and conflicting incarnations.
>Hi, I'm Terry. I teach at the local college, I've got a house in the suburbs, a 401(k), and have no connections to bombastic criminals or capricious deities.
>*sploosh*

This cover is like the only picture I have ever seen where Diana seems like she could be an appealing character, sort of.

It makes sense that the WW fans would hate it with seething rage.

>It makes sense that the WW fans would hate it with seething rage.
Pretty sure no WW fan who's actually read it hates it
The only people I've seen who dislike it are people who saw it on cracked.com in a list of "membah the toime [superhero] did [something weird]?" and assume it was some wacky shit no one liked

>Robinson is writing WW
Yes, but it's clearly Johns pulling the puppet strings.

Whoever keeps pushing this GREEKGREEKGREEK angle needs to knock it off. Because it's FUCKING BORING. Greek myth is tens of millenia old, and it's no longer interesting. Let Diana do something new already.

No, seriously, pull something directly out of your ass. Have Ares toss Paradise Island into space and have a Macross arc. Have the Amazons go to war with Gorilla Grodd, tell the story of an old immortal Diana teaming up with the Legion in the 31st century. Just, something that isn't the same tired Greek myth shit for the millionth time.

All I want to know is why the fuck this arc doesn't end with her getting fat.

Also, anyone getting Todd Mcfarlane spidey vibes off this art?

I'd put it more on Didio than Johns. Also I think it wasn't so much a specific push into the magical territory as it was Rucka heavily using the mythology angle and his run being well-regarded, and the poor reception of Picoult and Heisenberg's more superhero focused runs. On top of that you've got Simone, whose myth focused arcs were the most popular part of her run, and Azz's run, while divisive, sold well and was entirely mythology focused. Basically it's less "orders from on high," and more "give the people what they want."

As for Trevor, I think he could have stood to been associated with international security issues rather than human development. It'd give a much stronger tie-in to all aspects of Diana's world.

The issue is that Diana has to be a serious character that's constantly "treated with respect" because she's the "feminist icon" now. The greekgreekgreek thing is a symptom of that, it was something extremely safe they could attach onto her and use as kind of a default story that would ruffle no feathers. She'll be a very serious, very very very respectable immortal woman who hangs with gods and fights monsters that people know from the myth, and nobody will get upset about it. It's safe.

But what's safe is also boring. A character that you can't ever make fun of is boring. She's like a statue on a pedestal, and her job is to just inspire generic awe and not really do anything or experience anything.

It's clearly Robinson doing his usual fairly crappy post-Starman work.

That's nothing new and has been going on since at least CoIE. Diana was implicitly a virgin for something like 2 decades after that and Simone got flak for presenting Diana as kind of a shitty girlfriend in her run.

>considers working at a fast food joint to be a noble and dignified profession
>serious
She also ran a mod fashion shop in the Silver Age before Gloria Esteinem decided to be a fucking killjoy. As an aside, I liked the O'Neill run, dammit!

I partially blame the DCAU for the perception that Diana is Miss No Fun Allowed. Timm and Dini couldn't be bothered to actually do their jobs, so they just made her act like a genetic warrior woman, and therefore a mean-spirited bitch. Considering the many people who grew up with JLU, well, you can see why people think that about her.

I'm obviously not talking about the comic in the OP but her modern day portrayal.

>relationship problems?
Oh boy. So, the first thing to know is that Kyle is a dumbass. He first met her during a GL/Titans crossover, and he joined the Teen Titans when she became a Darkstar. Their relationship was cute but rocky from the start, because Kyle is a dumbass.
He decided to paint his hot apartment neighbour in the nude, and did not inform Donna about this until she walked in on them.
They did reconcile, and Kyle even babysat her Terry-spawn once.
After he took her to visit his Mom, John Byrne literally drove her ex and kid off cliff, and she didn't appear in the Green Lantern title for two years. Even before she went through her "I'm cursed, no one talk to me" phase Jade moved in to Kyle's apartment as a roommate. It was during this two year period of ghosting Kyle that he started dating Jade.

Attached: Green Lantern (1990-2004) 070-005.jpg (1988x3056, 1.12M)

What I especially loved about the space pirate arc, is that it let Diana take the role of a leader, which I something she rarely gets to do, despite being a princess.

> WAAAH WAAAH WHY ISN'T THIS MY DEFINITION OF COMIC BOOK REALISM
please fucking kill yourselves

Diana was still really naive in that time. She was happy what she got. Also as someone said these books were tied to real life unemployment events, she had to do a minimum wage job like many people at that time.

I always say the reason WW is so different in every run because she always reflects the female ideals and problems of the times.

This guy actually gets it.

>Wanted: Electronics engineer with ten years experience
>Must be willing to accept entry-level position
Fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I understood that feeling so well, part of why that story arc really struck me

>tfw nothing has changed

Plenty of things have changed; for example, that electronics engineer will now be replaced by a Chinese or Indian guy working for 2/3rds the salary.

Or in Diana's case, she got replaced by an Egyptian.

>Skims Thread

"So should i Read this or Not?"

You should definitely read it.

Thank you

It's pretty pathetic when Sup Forums attempts to meme about something they know nothing about.