Paul Ryan wants to privatize Medicare and Trump is going to let him...

Paul Ryan wants to privatize Medicare and Trump is going to let him. How do you feel that you might not have access to healthcare when you're older?

Other urls found in this thread:

startribune.com/ryan-s-better-way-on-medicare-would-not-be-pain-free/401791355/
washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/11/21/democrats-will-hold-firm-against-paul-ryans-medicare-plan-pelosi-vows/
forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2016/11/16/how-trump-may-remake-medicare/#5ed2c604a82c
forbes.com/sites/merrillmatthews/2011/07/13/what-happened-to-the-2-6-trillion-social-security-trust-fund/#6f6d394b6153
wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304521304576446250270069780
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck em

Good. I want to die.

Pretty good, end this fucking ponzi scheme.
It already wasn't viable long-term, and when other government entities are "borrowing" (without giving a fucking cent back) from it without limitations, it's bound to collapse.
If it's privatized, it's going to be a lot harder for the government to steal money out of it.

So you think that the burden of healthcare costs should be shifted onto seniors?

I intend to be gainfully employed and not a net burden on my fellow countrymen

ezpzlmnsqzy

Ah, so you will never retire... Got it.

Where was that stated? Who said that?

If other government entities are no longer allowed to borrow from it, Social Security will actually be in a better position to provide benefits than it is right now.

Think before you speak, you fucking leaf.

Nope, I have passable financial planning and long-term goals

I intend to use my current wealth to bankroll future shortcomings.
I'm truly sorry you have trouble thinking past what to eat for breakfast, but some of us are fiscally responsible

I was talking about Medicare. If it replaced by a voucher system, there is no way it could keep up with rising healthcare costs. The costs would ultimately be shifted away from the federal government to the seniors themselves.

Trump will not touch Medicare before the first midterms. He's already going to try touching at least one political third rail (mass deportations+wall+Hart Celler repeal) while trying to quiet US involvement in the ME against the Establishment's wishes.

He better not fuck up his mandate with Medicare and trade until immigration has been settled.

On Medicare itself, I agree that that the structure of Medicare has to be changed without payroll taxes getting sky high due to the proportion of revenues to expenses decreasing,
> maybe some income/means testing
>and fucking over smokers/fatties from draining the system

but I no longer agree with raising the age. SS and Medicare are basically the taxpayer subsidizing Old People to stay the fuck out of the workforce!

GRAMPS STOP HOLDING ON LET SOME FRESH BLOOD IN

Paul Ryan is gonna resign soon.

Trump doesn't trust him.

Can you post what news article you read that caused you to make this thread, so that we can be on the same page? The latest results I see on Paul Ryan talking about SS and Medicare are from 4 fucking years ago.

>If it replaced by a voucher system, there is no way it could keep up with rising healthcare costs
This. Even though as a public-healthcare-provider program Medicare pays out more per person than do PHPPs elsewhere, it still is one of the largest bargaining blocs and takes advantage of its economy of scale. Splitting it up with a voucher system won't deal with the fundamental issue of rising costs, and will probably just make it worse.

I see. So if people didn't make enough money in their working life to afford healthcare once they are old and their bodies are failing, then they should just drop dead. Elderly people should go bankrupt trying to buy their medicine, because they didn't get rich enough when they were younger. Got it.

Wait, other government agencies borrow from Medicare?

Where in the Bible or constitution does it say everyone gets anything? And it's not healthcare, you liar, it's health INSURANCE.

Nothing "solid" just whispers here and pearl clutching there
startribune.com/ryan-s-better-way-on-medicare-would-not-be-pain-free/401791355/

washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/11/21/democrats-will-hold-firm-against-paul-ryans-medicare-plan-pelosi-vows/

forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2016/11/16/how-trump-may-remake-medicare/#5ed2c604a82c

>tfw your parents die in their early 70s cuz they don't have the Freedom+ premium account on their plan and have to pay $70,000 plus tip for their blood thinners

never change pol

Yes, absolutely.

forbes.com/sites/merrillmatthews/2011/07/13/what-happened-to-the-2-6-trillion-social-security-trust-fund/#6f6d394b6153

tl;dr - Obama saying people might not get their checks if Congress doesn't raise debt ceiling even though the SS trust fund is supposed to have 2.6 trillion dollars in it (spoiler: it fucking doesn't)

Another article from WSJ about this:
wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304521304576446250270069780

Are you a shill or fucking stupid? I saw this same thread a few days ago.

I always known it was gonna collapse before I could use it, I'm just glad it's happening now Instead of later

Ryan was literally reelected to his position as Speaker of the House just last week, unanimously.

> bible
> in this argument
Wtf? KEK

Which means you probably missed the five other times OP posted it.

Welcome to Sup Forums, home of the bait threads.

So this is pretty much just speculation at this point, but it should be noted that even if we keep the current system, we will run out of money due to the fucking boomers.

You get that government interference in health care is what skews medical costs (and in a big way) in the first place, do you not?

A fundamental truth about subsidizing a thing is that you're encouraging the growth of that thing. Government in this case is subsidizing old people's dependence on government to share costs, and subsidizing the ability of providers to set prices and charge the government according to that dependency.

This. Also, it's unconstitutional for the federal government to be involved in healthcare/pensions.

>he took the atheist pill

>, we will run out of money due to the fucking boomers.
It's a bit more complicated than that
as pointed out, the SS/Medicare trust fund is theoretically separate from the rest of the treasury, but it's not being funded by payroll taxes. Total annual payroll taxes

Alternatively, you can either reduce the benefits given through Medicare or raise taxes.
But of course, neither of those things will be enough if we simply keep siphoning money out of it.
Privatization of SS/Medicare should at the very least prevent any disaster should we fail to raise the debt limit again (because we sure as fuck are not going to pay it down).

>He read Roderick T. Long's How Government Solved the Healthcare Crisis

Fraternal societies simply took the form of Insurance, Charity, Medicare and Medicaid, which are bigger and better barganing agents anyway.

Ending lodge practices had a minimal effect and stamped out quacks.

AMA quantity restrictions are to keep medicine profitable for debt-heavy Med School grads.

Keeping insurance split across state lines prevents insurance firms from cartelizing into 4 or 5 firms for the whole nation, whereas now we have 50*4 or 5 firms for the whole nation.

The rising costs are more fundamental than simple "government intervention". It's mostly just supply and demand.

>Alternatively, you can either reduce the benefits given through Medicare or raise taxes.
>But of course, neither of those things will be enough if we simply keep siphoning money out of it.
It seems we're on the same page here

>Privatization of SS/Medicare should at the very least prevent any disaster should we fail to raise the debt limit again (because we sure as fuck are not going to pay it down).

But I don't see how this will be tackling the fundamental cause.

meant to say
It seems we're on the same page here

It won't be, but solving the problem of rising prices is much more complicated than making sure SS/Medicare keeps the funds it is entitled to.

There was never going to be any left by the time I needed it anyway.

What do you think about letting people "buy into" Medicare at cost+upmark?

Okay so this is a quick and dirty way of doing this, because it excludes Part B premiums and deductables and outdated figures among other things.

$618.7 billion total Medicare spending
55 million people using Medicare

So $11,249.09 per year, per person

But
>2013 Employer Health Benefits Survey released. Annual premiums for employer-sponsored family health coverage reached $16,351, up 4 percent from previous year, with workers on average paying $4,565 toward the cost of their coverage, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation/Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET).

So.. can this work out?

But when we look at how much the average private insurer
>(monthly premium)(12)+annual deductible =
>321(12)+4,358 =
>8,210
So for the average person it's not worth it

But would the increased purchasing power from including everyone in one pool
>and I'm aware of the supply and cost problems with single payer
make up for that annual $3040 ?

11,250-8,210

So between the EHBS 16k figure and the secondary 8k figure, Forbes gave a different one

>Clinton’s Medicare buy-in may also help alleviate rising costs for employers that still pay about $13,000 for each worker who takes advantage of retirement before the age of 65

In which case I guess a buy-in would still be more efficient.