100% atomic power USA no excuses thread with thorium

youtube.com/watch?v=gYa4GnW4zR0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P6hxQCWuzWc
theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/15/hinkley-point-chinese-firm-to-submit-essex-nuclear-plant-plans
youtube.com/watch?v=ORiZVmsIPmE
youtube.com/watch?v=P9M__yYbsZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=0BybPPIMuQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AHs2Ugxo7-8
youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9Ll5EX1jc
youtube.com/watch?v=-NmaV_XZH6I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molten_salt_reactor
youtube.com/watch?v=hR8PiBZPKw0
phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/book/chapter9.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudankulam_Nuclear_Power_Plant
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power#India
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

elaborate

We are in an energy bronze age
Thorium is clean
if you lose power
a cooled plug dissolves
and throum salt mix drains into a lower tank
staggeringly safe
thorium alos not eaily weaponed
100% the future
We foolishly let chinese and indian have technical info
100% atomic means no emissions
no deaths
no birds even killed
wind and soalr are unreliable
fossil fuels while cheap are not as efficient
it literally is answer to our dreams
imagine what cheap energy could do to adapt our environment for happy pleasant life?

seems interesting, will watch

I heard salt reactors are the future. Can't wait.

During the cold war, it was the easy way to get uranium, producing energy and getting bombs at the same time.

Defense budget is always very important, and this money "indirectly' helped the development of the nuclear energy.

This is one of the reason why we went for Uranium and the reason why we won't be going to get thorium so fuck off and go and buy some solar panels.

Been a while since my lectures on that stuff, but IIRC Thorium has the advantage of being:
>much more common than Uranium
>not needing enrichment because it is almost Isotope pure
>decay products have a lower half-life and are generally less of a problem
>no meltdown possible because it is not a cascading reaction, you actively have to keep it running
>smaller amounts of fuel required

So generally cheaper, less problematic in terms of waste disposal and less risky.
Sadly, Germany shut its experimental reactors down for political reasons.

>He fell for the thorium meme

>Sadly, Germany shut its experimental reactors down for political reasons.

Why? Any reason given will be stupid, just how stupid is what I'm wondering.

why do you think getting Trump elected was so important? The future will run on liberal tears.

shut up you commy shit drinker
get educated
watch the vid
thorium is plentiful and works much better
you stupid lymeee
watch alex epstein CIP youtube for how solar and wind dont work

Underrated

Chernobyl and the following anti-nuclear-power craze.

Things that have been tested and ran successfully are not memes, leaf.

didnt this get debunked like a year ago. the solution wouldnt generate enough heat to do anything since the "coolant" as he called it is needed to generate pressure to power turbines that turn a bunch of big magnets to produce electricity

you may as well make a giant chain and use overbalance which could generate enough electricity to do something but alas the giant chain was scrapped mid production despite the small model working

youtube.com/watch?v=P6hxQCWuzWc

you are stupid beyond beleif
india and china are building these as we speak
as is flibe
not everyone is teaching black kids howto spell ok?

>We foolishly let chinese and indian have technical info

Actually, you amerifats shat on Thorium reactors back in the 50's due the radioactive material not being useful to make bombs, the tech has been largely ignored ever since.

theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/15/hinkley-point-chinese-firm-to-submit-essex-nuclear-plant-plans

It will truly be revolutionary when someone invents a really good thorium reactor. I can't wait.

>it breaks down into extremely valuable rare earth material after being used
>thorium is everywhere
>perfectly safe

It will be beautiful.

we already did
stupid

Thorium isn't fissile, it's fertile.
You end up needing to breed uranium in order to generate power.

Thorium is a meme.

Fucking America, if you can't use it to blow up babies in foreign countries they don't want it.

I'll breed your wife you shit

>chyna

this is why we're fucked

look you stupid cock gobber
watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=ORiZVmsIPmE
you stupid fukin brits wonder why your economy is 3rd world
fuck oil
thorium liquid salt reactor is state of the art

What european poor hole are you from?
and you dare talk shit about your superiors?
wow
we could nuke you and no one would care
hows that feel?

There was a working prototype in the 1960s that had over 5000 recorded hours of it running.

This is very much a real thing.

Well bored

Whatever you have to say is irrelevant.
>While Thorium is not fissionable, it is fertile as it can be converted to fissile Uranium

Go ahead please nuke us, it can't get much worse under a nuclear winter

If you want Thorium reactors in the states you're gonna have to change the NRC regulations.

How many commercially viable thorium reactors or working?

Salt reactions? Are you sure you're not talking about salt batteries?

Good to see some old brothers here can remember MSRs/LFTR and its massive potential to manifest an energy revolution. To all those who are uneducated or came after this was a commonly discussed topic here I would implore you to digest the following videos:

youtube.com/watch?v=P9M__yYbsZ4 - Thorium remix 2011 probably the best of this bunch of videos - with 5 minute introduction summary
youtube.com/watch?v=0BybPPIMuQQ - Latest thorium remix from 2016 mostly about why we need MSRs for space colonization
youtube.com/watch?v=AHs2Ugxo7-8 - Original google techtalk video which became popular on /sci/ around 2010
youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9Ll5EX1jc - Motherboard video on thorium, not as scientific but explains the political history of MSRs - be warned of vice cuckoldry

Everyone and their grandmother knew about MSRs here just a few years ago. In fact Sup Forums and /sci/ worked hard together to promote MSRs and LFTR to a fair degree of success, a tripfag named nukacola made the majority of the threads if I remember correctly. It is one of those things that doesn't seem possible but after nearly 5 years of interest in MSRs I still haven't found a credible problem with the design. The MSRe built by oakridge national laboratories was the second ever (the first being the atomic plane prototype reactor that was scraped after ICBMs became viable) and the first true MSR. They built it from near scratch in only 5 years after which it was critical for another 4 years without fault, this was done on 80 million USD of funding (adjusted for inflation) with construction beginning in 1960. This experiment proved the viability of MSRs but funding was cut after the team at oakridge approached the DoE for additional funding to scale up the design in size with some extra features (one of which being the blanket). The reason why is mostly due to Nixon's hardon for fast spectrum breeders and materials for nuclear weapons.

The ecomentalists, generally not well-read on nuclear physics, think that Chernobyl was like a nuke being detonated.

Because Merkel's vote depends on libcucks and ecomentalists who trust her to improve the environment, she had to kill German nuclear power production.

Petty politics + general ignorance.

FREE ENERGY

FREE ENERGY www.infinitysav.com FREE ENERGY

FREE ENERGY

youtube.com/watch?v=-NmaV_XZH6I

No he's talking about molten salt reactors.

youtube.com/watch?v=hR8PiBZPKw0
boom!

He might be talking about molten salt cooled reactors. No high-pressure radioactive steam.

Nothing of value to say?

i don't buy it, gonna need some hard proof

You are right the regulative environment is simply not set up for MSRs in the US (or even many of the other experimental designs that are being worked on at present). I am hopeful that Trump's promised deregulation will have enough traction to effect the atomic industry, there is certainly opportunities there for deregulation as for years useless regulations that didn't really change much were the only option of the atomic industry to try to please those who opposed the atomic industry. This is explained in detail (alongside other reasons why traditional atomic energy costs so much) on the page below:

phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/book/chapter9.html

Not seen this presentation in full yet I will have to watch it.

Did you watch any of the vids.
Or do just always talk a lot of shit? With 0 backup?
I destroyed you in every argument.
thorium works
and is best energy move
I think you should tell the new gov to do it in UK.
We should go 100% thorium atomic in USA
think of all the fake tits and lipo that can be done dirt cheap to make the girls look n feel great!

The shutdown of our experimental plants was actually a while before Merkel got into power.

For Merkel it was Fukushima that made her act against all reason.

How does "transmutation" work? It seems to me an electron is being added in the process (fusion?) and energy is released. I can understand fission but having a hard time with this.

Thorium doesn't work. It's uranium.

FUCK. YES!

These guys are great, I wish someone would give them money

to create, something of equal value must be lost. This is the principal of equivalent exchange.

Didn't a bunch of people block trains that were transporting nuclear waste material because they thought it was dangerous to use nuclear power?
I might have my timeline mixed up

232 Th + neutron -> 233 Th, which is unstable
this goes through beta decay (neutron "releases" an electron and thus gaining an extra proton) to 233 Pa
233 Pa undergoes further beta decay to 233 U which is then used as fuel

Our experimental Thorium reactors were shut down after Chernobyl, so around 1988

After that we had a lot of nonsense with the Castor transports (that's the thing you are referring to) which ended in Fukushima after which Merkel decided to shut down our regular nuclear plants, too.

Such a idiotic decision by Merkel, I can't believe it went through.

So it is salt battery. Nuclear being the reaction and salt being the storage.of energy.

Merkel made almost all her decisions with the elections in mind. The only reason she shut down the reactors after Fukushima was because she knew that incident would have boosted the Greens support, so she just cut away the one topic they actually had.

So yeah, it was fucking retarded when you consider what would have been best for Germany, but it makes sense from Merkel's perspective of not giving a shit about anyone but herself.

They worked great for the Russians.

As someone who supports nuclear i have this to say:

The reason why we chose to go down the light water reactor road is that it is by far the most cost efficient form of nuclear energy.

Non-LWR reactors (except CANDUs) have all been commercial failures.

The only non-LWRs that are producing electricity commercially are the BN reactors in russia and they cost 20% more to operate than their LWRs.

India was not building one of those bad boys to mass desalinization process?

Something worth mentioning about the Chinese is that they have put MSRs on the backburner and for thorium based cycles are instead focusing on a solid fueled pebble bed thorium reactor similar to India's reactors which won't even be finished until 2024 (bare in mind this will be a prototype reactor). It looks like they intend to continue work on the MSR experiment after that period so its presented itself a good opportunity for a western country to look into the technology in the meantime and begin working on a modern day MSRe before expanding upon the program. Here in the UK there is some degree of talk about it, I've read a few recent(ish) reports from this year regarding the state of affairs and things look hopeful with our present government in this regard.

Bradwell is just down the road from me. Whilst I welcome the plans for an EPR here and Hinkley point C we must not forget these are still PWRs and are grossly inefficient compared to MSRs with costs that are massive in comparison to the resulting yields produced by an MSR. It is such a shame that the technology behind MSRs is still so hidden and underexposed, although much of the reasons why Alvin Wienberg decided to go with something new after inventing the PWR (mostly safety concerns) have to a degree been solved with technology its been a long and slow road thanks to anti-atomic groups that believe instead of innovating the technologies to improve safety and efficiency its best to shut it down completely. Probably the best thing about PWRs is the fact that the huge quantities of spent fuel will make for excellent fuel in generation 4 reactor cycles, waste burning has for a while been a big priority and the industry on a global level has reacted well to the need to use up the spent fuel stockpiles. The countries that continue to purchase spent fuel supplies (or in many cases get paid to take them away) will generate a lot of revenue in the future decades as these reactors start becoming viable.

I think you are referring to this reactor?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudankulam_Nuclear_Power_Plant

Its a PWR not a MSR. India however do have some thorium reactors (and many more nuclear reactors planned so they can become a superpower by 2030) but they are solid fuel not liquid fuel.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power#India

Holy shit that insane Green Party bitch starting at 6:00 in your first video.
>he is totally mansplaining to me
>that seething hatred at 10:00
>beta orbiter, stop talking!
>go on Oprah :D

>Holy shit that insane Green Party bitch
Whats worse is that the industry actually has listened to these types of campaigners in the past, they are grossly uneducated.

These anti-science Jane Fonda Types made me give up on life faster than any 911 vast global conspiracies and BLM identity politics.

The fact this technology is not being backed by big science is just a disgrace. When totally ignoring next gen nukes that don't emit any of their carbon indulgences the climate alarmists have totally discredited themselves from any possible future dialogue

T. Gravity Engineer

Not quite. British and Russians were both interested in the tech and did independent research, but budgetary constraints, plus accidents like Chernobyl deflated any enthusiasm for the MSR.

.snek

You are right but had the US program continued I think that would have set the precedent for other nations in their own research especially considering how much of an edge it would give.

What about the lobbying efforts of GE to maintain a total monopoly on LWR fuel production and thus a total monopoly on nuclear power.

i got yer fuel right here

Well then they were really shit at lobbying.
They dont even have a monopoly on the fuel for a reactor type THEY invented (boiling water reactor).

>We foolishly let chinese and indian have technical info

No you didn't, and that's all the problem.
Communist China tried to do it, if they could have shared with the americans engineers they would have done it.