Anyone tell me what this medal is? Says 1939 on the other side

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Merit_Cross
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Knight's Cross of the War Merit Cross.

Checked

Correct and checked

Is it original OP?

it's a "Thank you for participating" medal. You get them for just showing up to a genocide.

>is it original
It isn't worth too much. You get it after basic training.

>The award was graded the same as the Iron Cross: War Merit Cross Second Class, War Merit Cross First Class, and Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross. The award had two variants: with swords given to soldiers for exceptional service in battle above and beyond the call of duty (but not worthy of an Iron Cross which was more a bravery award), and without swords for meritorious service behind the lines which could also be awarded to civilians. Recipients had to have the lower grade of the award before getting the next level.

The more you know.

More specific to the gold award with crossed swords, it is unlikely to be truly original had it been gold:
>There was one extra grade of the War Merit Cross, which was created at the suggestion of Albert Speer: The Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross in Gold (German: Goldenes Ritterkreuz des Kriegsverdienstkreuzes), but this was never officially placed on the list of national awards as it came about in 1945 and there was no time to officially promulgate the award before the war ended. The Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross in Gold (without swords) was awarded 'on paper' to two recipients on 20 April 1945: Franz Hahne and Karl-Otto Saur.

They gave it to Nazis who went above and beyond their Nazi-ism. The swords means it was for military personnel.

I know I used to collect ww2 stuff, I was just wondering if it was authentic.

>tfw your ancestors left you no interesting relics, antiques or trinkets

R A R E

>tfw your ancestors left you no interesting relics, antiques or trinkets

Cheer up m8, you've got the Abbos

How did you unlock it?

>tfw authentic set of kukris that actually shed Jap blood in the 40s

Feels good man

Bullshit, that's not a knight's cross. It's just a typical merit cross second class. Worth about $30.

Where can you buy stuff like this? eBay bans sales of Nazi memorabilia.

I don't need a Wikipedia article. I collect WWII decorations and I know what it is, and it's not a knight's cross. It's a second class.

Wanna buy an iron cross?

That would be a first class. Second class doesn't have crossed swords.

Hessenantique.com

OPs medal is a War Merit cross not Knight Cross of War Merit look at the ribbon-loop

Military shows are a good place if there are any nearby you. Gun shows often have people selling Nazi memorabilia. Your best bet is online dealers, although you might pay a little more there, but be sure you know what you are getting and who you can trust because there are a fuckton of fake German awards out there, many of them very convincing (not that you have to worry too much about a common medal like the OP's).

I have one of those. Blackened by age on the edges, some saltwater burns on it. Gramps took it off a body in southern italy, the second one he gave to my brother.

I think you are being deliberately dense at this point

How are your sheathes holding up? Mine are kinda rotted at the tips, makes storage difficult

Breaking apart at the hilt, tip is reinforced. Still holding up, but it ain't pretty to look at.

Probably going to use some easy cleanser on it.

>tfw got an original wehrmacht uniform with oberschutze insignia
It wasn't that damaged either, I sold it for a pretty big amount.