Is it worth filling out a fafsa to potentially get scholarships...

Is it worth filling out a fafsa to potentially get scholarships? I know you have to write a paper on why you deserve one aswell. White male here.

FAFSA is for grants and low/no interest loans, not scholarships. White male here.

FAFSA takes like ten minutes to fill out and they will literally give you free money if you're poor enough. There is no downside and you're an idiot if you don't fill it out.

It has nothing to do with scholarships.

Go to trade school user. I'm warning you.

Fafsa is for grants and loans, scholarships are a bit different.

Yes its absolutely worth filling out, I get about 3k in (free) pell grant money every 3 terms, the rest in subsidized loans, all of it optional, so there's really no drawback to filling it out unless you're paranoid about your info or don't want to spend the 45 minutes it takes to do it.
If you're over 24 you don't need to submit your parent's earnings.

Pro-tip: If your parents are divorced, sign up under the parent that makes the least

Literally free money to attend school if you're broke enough.

Find a college with technical programs that are hands on/training.

No scholarships from FAFSA. Loans, maaaaaaaybe grants if you're poor enough or have siblings in college.

Unless you're sitting on a pile of cash, your white male ass will need that to go to college. Don't believe the "if you work hard the money is out there" shit. Go to a cheap/local school, or take up a trade. Keep it cheap when you can. If you decide to go to a university, get something applied that will make you cash.

I was told to receive a scholarship I need to do my FAFSA.

Donean't the FAFSA put you into selective service, a.k.a conscription?

>white male here

you've already lost.

Im not broke though, I am 22 and I rely on my mom who makes 30k a year. I assume that is far too much to get any money

Oh shit what now?

you are ineligible for any federal programs or aids if you do not register with selective service.

and it's pretty cool. they gave me 5,815 bucks this year for going to college with a full course load and having zero money.

Mate that's a very low threshold. You can get full tuition through Fasfa

Yes retard it's free to fill out

Take 15 minutes and look at your tax returns ffs

I don't think it puts you in it, but you can't complete it unless you're signed up with selective service.

It's part of your male privilege.

You do not have to write a paper for FAFSA. Those are completely different types of loans

why tho

yep

As a male you have to sign up no matter what

> White male
> scholarships
How dare you?

yes, if you need loans

That's low, man. You might be in good shape.

How do I make sure I cream it hard on fafsa?

you could get almost 6 grand.

they just give you a check.

you HAVE to take and stay in the classes, because your award is based on how many hours you carry.

What would happen if you didn't?
Do they enforce that? I can't imagine they would.

But I dont owe them shit do I? I am not borrowing the 6 grand right? I know how jewey the IRS can be

Not full if you go to a big, private school. But a community college or public school? Most probably to yes.

Grants and Scholarships you do not repay back.

Loans you do.

Grants and Scholarships are literally free money.

Also you don't need to keep it cheap if you're actually not a dumbass. I took out $140k in loans because I knew the average starting salary for my school was $70k, which is less than what I graduated into by working my ass off whoring myself to internships

My payments are about a quarter of my take home pay. In 15 years I'm going to have an extra $1,000+/month cash. Yeah, it sucks to wait but in my case college was very much an investment

>White male here.
check your privilege, shitlord.

you'd be eligable for about 6 thousand dollars as a grant - they just give it to you. you'd be eligable for about 10,000 dollars of subsidized loans, as well as FWS, federal work study - they basically give you a job where your wages are partially subsidized. kind of like a scholarship in the form of a job. it might even be related to your field of study.

it's good shit.

Not much room for creaming. They're going to ask you about your assets/income and your mom's assets/income. If you're really a broke, 22-year-old living at home by way of a mom who only pulls $30k a year, you're in good shape for some low interest loans at the least.

Make sure to have it done before the priority filing deadline (15 February 2017) so you're considered for the most aid possible.

But seriously, you're not able to sell yourself for aid through the FAFSA. You'll put in your info, and a computer algorithm will shit out recommendations for what aid you're qualified for.

Could they possible grant me the 6k, but then say, "oh hey that was a loan, pay up nigger"?

I think he means for the FASFA. And he's right, you can' finish it without signing up for selective services.

no, i knew a lady who would get the grant with a lot of hours carried, and then drop out after a week and just keep the money.

but if you obviously try scamming them they might catch you. dropping a course or something won't be a big deal, but you have to carry 16 hours a week to get full award.

No: grant money is literally free money.

I'm a fucking failure at life and I managed to go to school for 7 years to get a 2 year degree in Fine Arts paid for by the state with pell grant dough.

>White male here.
Don't tell them that.

Appreciate it. Some woman said I can still fill out the 15/16 fafsa for this springs semester and might be able to get something from the school foundation

Cheaper and higher chance of getting a job that pays well. Most people I know got decent help paying for it, also.

Fuck you for wasting the point of the Pell Grant. I used it to get through community college while working 40 hours and got into UC Berkeley.

Donate exclusively to Berkeley because of how many niggers abuse the grant system.

ok intersting thx fgt nig

FAFSA was required to be filled out when I went to University

Say you're a jew, 1/4 Hispanic, 1/32 Cherokee, and something from the LGBT category

Worth it, I applied every year.

Now FAFSA is makin sure you do go to class tho, too many nigger bailing out of class for them gibs me dat

This is true but the FAFSA just gives them basic financial information for them to configure your scholarship

yes. did it bout 5 years ago.

I'm perfectly fucking aware I wasted it. Mom died, I was homeless because no family left, few friends I had moved, I got addicted to drugs and I fucked up my life. I admit that entirely. Now I at least have work and a life as a plumber.

7 years for an associated?

I command you for getting a respectable trade job now but those are all nigger excuses and you should be ashamed.

You gotta register with the SSS to proceed with FAFSA if you are a male and haven't registered already. Just like being an illegal, you can apply and finish the FAFSA, but you ain't getting shit from the federal government.

Most schools will chargeback any (or all) Pell grant monies used to fund your education if you drop a course and don't immediately re-register for another one. In addition, the government of its own volition could convert the grant into a loan if they believed it the class-dropping or no-showing is intended to defraud the school to get free money.

For demographic and statistical purposes, and to recieve maximum gibs, my friend. As mentioned, they can also give you some funding if your tuition isn't fully met.

Private schools, unless they are elitists, usually do meet 95% of the need of a student. Popular in-state colleges often won't, but community colleges often will.

My university makes me fill one out. Seeing as how you seem to be in high school I'd advise that you fill it out. Takes literally 10 minutes. Plus you get access to Direct loans which are better than private loans.

Also if writing an essay is too hard for literally thousands of dollars disregard the above and kill yourself.

Yes. See Who said I wasn't ashamed? Literally any guidance would have saved me 5 years of my life I think.

Dad makes 135k a year and doesn't give me any money for school. Still live at home though. Should i even bother? Mexican with papers tho

How do I know if I signed up for the selective service?

what does your dad do for a living?

Real estate

OP based on the things you were certain you "knew" about FASFA I'm going to go out on a limb and say college isn't for you without a lot of remedial work first.