The EMDrive Revolution

Confirmation of EMDrive technology by NASA:
sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published
>Second generation engines will be capable of producing a specific thrust of 30kN/kW. Thus for 1 kilowatt (typical of the power in a microwave oven) a static thrust of 3 tonnes can be obtained, which is enough to support a large car
emdrive.com/secondgenengines.html
Considering a Q factor of 100 billion is possible in a resonant cavity made of Niobium, potentially much stronger static thrust can be achieved.
Flying cars, cloud cities, space colonies, you name it, it's coming.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IsaG_zYrtYo
youtu.be/SCzRTYPaN9M
youtube.com/watch?v=PzRNuKvxu_M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKAROS
youtube.com/watch?v=JGcvxg7jJTs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

By the way, they have already tested 2G EMDrives and found thrust numbers in line with their calculations, those numbers are not speculation .

Stop falling for this pop science bullshit. Passing peer review doesn't mean anything until someone else recreates the test (which several labs already have and concluded that no thrust was measured.)
If this actually worked not only would it violate the laws of physics but it would also be capable of generating infinite power as a sort of perpetual motion machine.

I'd like to be wrong and find out we've just figured out how to create infinite power but seriously now, this is fringe shit on par with every schmuck who claims to have created a cold fusion reactor.

thats fake and madeup its just a math problem on paper that doesnt work in reality which is proven because there are no flying cars.

youtube.com/watch?v=IsaG_zYrtYo

Fingers crossed

>which several labs already have and concluded that no thrust was measured.)
sauce

If it works (I honestly don't know, I'm no expert), what is the maximum projected speed for the EM drive? I mean, can it travel up to a fraction of the speed of light?

>Researchers working under Juan Yang (杨涓) at theNorthwestern Polytechnical University(NWPU) inXi'andeveloped their own prototype resonant cavity thruster in 2008, publishing a report in their university's journal on the theory behind such devices. In 2012-2014 they reported measuring net thrust in a series of preliminary tests, however in 2014 they reported that this had been an experimental error introduced by a power cable. In a revised study with an improved model, they reported that any actual thrust was too small for their setup to measure (less than 1mN for a 230W power source).
Just one example. Basically this has happened several times where a lab reports thrust and them quickly retracts it. They are working with incredibly small amounts of thrust so it is very easy for something to interfere.

The peer reviewed paper won't mean anything until other people recreate the experiment but it is more likely they will just retract their statement like the other labs. As much as everyone would like the thing to work, it just isn't.

1 kilowatt = 3.6 megajoules = the kinetic energy of a 3.6 tonne vehicle moving at 160 km/h

which law of physics specifically does it violate?

meme drive has been proven bullshit back in 2006 already

that NASA is even considering it again proves how cucked US technical schools are, feelgood sci-fi wanking liberals in there wanting it to be true

10% the speed of light

The EM drive will always require the same amount of power for it's max thrust. In a vacuum the faster your speed the faster you propel yourself (which is why rockets are more efficient when their orbit is closer to earth)
So if you power a turbine with an EM drive in a vacuum, the turbine will move faster and faster until it creates more energy than what is needed to power the EM drive. Congrats you are now generating infinite power.

it can travel over 9000

China obviously has an interest in keeping the technology away from the general public, which is why they changed their story. The NASA experiment addressed all possible sources of error.

I love how you can't have an argument about how perpetual motion machines don't work without someone bringing up %100 baseless conspiracies.

You mean conspiracy theories like "NASA are a bunch of retards, they don't even know about power cables!!"

How do you get rid of the bing toolbar

How would a turbine generate power in a vacuum you dumb fuck

Gotba linkmthere buddy?

bump for interest

why is this hue spamming this thread at least once a day?

The truth is out there. We've had Emdrive and even gravitics technology so advance you plebs would consider it alien.

THREAD THEME:
youtu.be/SCzRTYPaN9M

Unless you develop a theory explaining how this breaks conservation of momentum its shit, you're just being fooled by small errors in the measurement.

Just because it hasn't been published yet, doesn't mean it won't be. Physicists have a pretty huge confirmation bias about things that don't fit the established theory.

probably been chased off /sci/

seriously if you want to see a bunch of autists sperg out, go start a meme drive thread there

>addressed all possible sources of error
guess how I know you have no idea what you're talking about.

Wrong question, user.

Maximum speed for anything is speed of light. You can reach it with any device, but the energy requirements are gigantic.

That's why we are not able to travel long space distances. We can't fit enought rocket fuel to space shuttles to make it effective.

EM drive uses electricity, so we can go nuclear.

Power cables have actually messed up more than enough experiments. Remember the faster than light neutrino debacle from none other than motherfucking CERN? Yeah, that was fucking fun.

As for NASA; they've messed up a lot of times, especially recently. Remember when they hyped everything up by finding a "new form of life" non-carbon based and all that mumbo-jumbo? That was a lot of fun, too. Fucking hilarious actually. I remember watching the whole conference with all the mainstream media lapping everything that dumb bitch Felisa Wolfe Simon.

Why does /sci/ hate science?

Reminder NASA admitted in the paper they did not test for the microwaves degrading the coper plating and sending off small particles at high speed/degassing. All they had to do was weigh it before and after to test this, yet they choose not to....

Really makes you think...

There is one right now.

That theyre hiding something...

youtube.com/watch?v=PzRNuKvxu_M

Why does Sup Forums hate vidya?

Who's paying you to grasp at these straws?
Also no it's not fucking infinite power the EMDrive will fail eventually due to decay, you're looking at maybe 30 years worth or sustained momentum, and last time I checked it's not drawing it's energy from the vacuum of space like some SG1 Zero Point Module.

Well unless you can explain spooky action at a distance and how that violates the speed of light it's preposterous and clearly does not exist.

it's a larping board, there are no actual scientists there

Not the same m8, there are way more evidence of spooky action at a distance than with memedrive, which can be easily just neutrinos 2.0.

I'm only mentioning a vacuum because atmosphere friction might stop the EM powered turbine from reaching the critical speed it needs to create more energy than is needed to power the EM drive. I'm not sure what you mean by decay though seeing as half-lifes aren't involved.

It's reverse engineered ayy shit, ain't it

so massless photons which still carry momentum bounce off the frustrum, correct? so the problem is something but be coming out from the other end, no? there probably is something but we are just not understanding it, i doubt. physicists still dont believe this shit, they think that there is a flaw somewhere and that they will find it. well to me it seems no amount of proof will be enough cause they have literally dedicated their lives on this topic and to watch it turn all wrong would be pretty funny.

>1 kilowatt = 3.6 megajoules

Max speed is light speed
This just accelerates with no required fuel, only electricity

>Generating power absorbs no kinetic energy

Isn't everything we have ayy shit?

It does, the point is that eventually the turbine will reach a critical speed in which it will be generating more power than is put into it.

Nah, most is from the kangzz

It won't, since generating energy to power itself will slow it down. This isn't troll physics bruv

Not in an earth gravity environment...

this whole em drive thing is basically a big sperg off between engineers and theoretical physicists
i'm personally rooting for the engineers, not because i care one way or the other, but because the spaghetti spilt by the physicists will be more entertaining

WHY ENGINEERS ARE SO RETARDED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The friction applied to the spinning turbine doesn't change regardless of the speed of the turbine.

>30kN/kW

thats "fusion reactor in your wristwatch" tire

still EMdrive is impressive even with the microscopic thrust nasa got out of it's rig, would still be fun to even propel a micro space probe to relativistic speed just for fun

Physicists will not spill spaghetti.
The only reason we do science is to figure out new stuff.
If we find out momentum is not conserved in every case it will turn physics completely upside down. And we would love nothing more than that.
However - conservation of momentum has been shown countless times again and again and again in every field of physics.

Imagine you find a cat that speaks english. Yes it would go against everything you experience before, but i guess ypu would be more excited about it then butthurt about being wrong about cats.

Thats how finding the em drive works would be. And just like that you would call bullshit when your neighbour says he's got a talking cat in his basement. But it only talks very rarely and its really hard to get a recording of it....

t. physicist

>canadian science

>so massless photons
This is actually a very common misconception. Photons are only assumed to be massless when they're in a rest state, which is technically impossible for photons, and thus it's therefore assumed that photons have no mass in their rest state. But other than that impossible scenario, photons do HAVE energy, and therefore by extension means that they have mass. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's more or less the gist of it.

As for the rest of your post: I don't know enough about the EM to comment about it, but it almost sound like some ayy lmao kind of shit to me.

tl;dr
yes i would like extra salt with my spaghetti

while we're on topic of reactionless drives and such jazz, can anyone explain to me why we cant fly through space just by pointing a flashlight to the direction opposite of where we want to go? light exerts pressure, thats how sun sail works, so it should create momentum in the opposite direction when light (and any kind of radiation actually) is emitted, so why dont we fly through space by just firing a lazer in the opposite direction or sending directional mocrowaves there?

laws of physics on suicide watch

How they managed to extrapolate 30kN/kW when the Em drive in question supposedly generated a thrust of something in the order of 1 mN/kW is beyond me.

This is pop science garbage.

It will turn out to be a total failure like when those CERN scientists jumped the gun and announced they had discovered faster-than-light particles.

Not the same thing you're describing, but solar sails are pushed by light. The "force" exerted is so small I don't think it's worth pursuing.

See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKAROS

Pointing the flashlight would work. And since there is basically no friction in space you could travel infinitly far with this method.
HOWEVER
you would be painfully slow

there are theories explaining the conservation of momentum, basicly one theory is the momentum in the opposite direction is exerted to other dimensions, the other is related to space not being true vaccuum but instead a soup of birthing and annihilating particles and you propel yourself through this medium just like a ship propels itself through water without throwing anything from ship's cargo in the opposite direction

people who discuss EM drive for some reason are severely uninformed, in most cases they didnt even bother to read the wikipedia article

if the force is small just get a bigger flashlight problems werent

youtube.com/watch?v=JGcvxg7jJTs

so why do they fire magnetron into an enclosed metal cavity? they'd better make an open metal thing like rockets nozzle and fire magnetron from it i bet they would get bigger thrust

w-wait

Isn't there non-carbon based life forms near volcanic activity on the ocean floor? They feed directly off of the volcanic heat and emissions.

The whole point of the proposed em drive is that you don't have to shoot out a mass to your back anymore.
I mean rockets do excatly that, just that they emmit fuel and not just light, since its much more practicle.
Those don't require sunlight. Their internal chemistry is still made up from carbon atom containing molecules.
"non carbon" life forms are hypothetical life forms where carbon atoms would be replaced with for example silicon or something like that. And no that has never been observed

Their setup being inadequate isn't a good example of someone finding "no effect", and this is the only such group that retracted their finding, of the 3 that did the experiment.

No-one fucking knows how much power the EM drive will need for its thrust. There are still a dozen theories open like it somehow hooking onto the gravitational field of earth or even to spacetime itself or any fucking number of alternate ideas that would all predict the gains to decrease with higher speed and all the usual physical laws to not be broken. Why is "it either doesn't work or everything is broken" the most likely hypothesis?
We can. Photon engine is a thing. It just generates such a low thrust it's not really worth it.

>How they managed to extrapolate 30kN/kW when the Em drive in question supposedly generated a thrust of something in the order of 1 mN/kW is beyond me.

NASA experiments had a Q factor of 50 thousand while the superconducting EmDrive has a Q of 5 x 10^9.

Peer-reviewed just means that fellow scientists of the field of work have confirmed that the scientific method was followed in writing of the paper. It does not mean anyone has replicated the results or even confirmed the accuracy.

who cares if you dont shoot mass at all or shoot just a little bit of mass at 99999% light speed, what is important is that the flashlight shines until its battery dies, it wouldnt probably run out of reaction mass until you arrive to the nearest star

Nice diagram. Doesn't mean shit however.

>like it somehow hooking onto the gravitational field of earth

that sounds reasonable since the magnetron creates magnetic field. i guess you'd have to be away from any magnetic field or plasma source to really test it

The "em drive" in the experimental set up would do a really shitty job at accelerating anything. Its big, it uses loads of energy and only creates a tiny amount of thrust.
The only thing intresting about it is the possible breaking of conservation of momentum - and then do some crazy shit with that.

Its not going to replace rockets any time soon, even IF it would be found out to be working.

And your flashlight thing its basically the same, iwthout new physics involved. It would be awefully slow and inefficient to just use light like that as propulsion.

The EmDrive is already around 100 times better per watt than photon engines, and it's not even sure if that's enough to be really competitive with ion engines.
The flashlight would never die, that's the whole benefit of propellantless engines; you can always get energy from solar panels.

if we fire up a mini sun with nuclear fusion i bet it would be enough light to make it practical

Why bother with the flashlight at that point, just fire the nuclear explosion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)