Hey yo German anons when am I supposed to use die, das , der? Also how do I tell the difference between sie and sie?

Hey yo German anons when am I supposed to use die, das , der? Also how do I tell the difference between sie and sie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vIi05c5lbbk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>die, das , der

Memorize it. No shortcuts. It's "der Junge", but "das Mädchen". The sun is female, the moon is male, and there is no "why".

"Sie" as in "polite (you)" is always capitalized, even within sentences. "Sie" as in "they" is not. "Sie" as in "she" is also not capitalized, but the word inflection tells you everything. Otherwise, context.

>Etwas, das sie sieht - Something that she sees
>Etwas, das sie sehen - Something that they see
>Etwas, das Sie sehen - Something that you see

Not German user but I'm learning

My understanding is that it's to do with gender
Der is used when referring to something masculine ie. der Mann (the man)

Die is used when referring to something feminine
ie. der Frau (the woman)

Das is for use when referring to something un-gendered
ie. das Kind (the child)

A rule of thumb that I use it to just use whichever sounds more natural, whatever makes the sentence flow better depending on the following word is usually correct

Keep in mind I'm still learning (50% fluency on duolingo) and am drunk as I type this but good luck user and I hope this made sense

>My understanding is that it's to do with gender

It does, but only the gender of words. The actual genders involved have fuck all to do with it.. "Das Mädchen" for instance is neutral, rather than female.

I don't understand whats so hard about it.

There are too many exception to make any rule of thumb meaningful. It's best to learn every word along with its article.

yes, your understanding is correct.

Why you guys learning german? our country is going down the toilet, soon we all speak arabic here. Don't waste your time!

Just wing it, nobody cares

>first language is german
>doesn't understand why people who don't speak german as a first language have dfficulty with grammar rules which dont exist in other languages
>eats pieces of shit for breakfast

Is this Sup Forums?

Go away. TO Sup Forums or Sup Forums.

Because muh Nazi fetish

Because the suffix -chen (small, diminutive, cute) forces it to become neuter.

1- This is Sup Forums, not Sup Forums. Fuck off

2- You will never be german. Fuck off

In Australia, German is an optional non-OP subject you can choose throughout the whole time of high school. It's compulsory in Year 8 and 9 tho.

I deal with a lot of Germans who don't speak or pretend to not speak English. I also have 8hours at work with nothing to do.

>which dont exist in other languages

Literally every other indo european language, from italian to spanish to czec to danish, have gender and they usually have a lot of expections.

>implying germans will ever be german again

We are muslims who want to come to germany

what is austria
what do they speak
who is hofer

answered

t. Ahmed

Nobody gives a shit about Austria here. Small fucking country, they lick our boots!

>t. murad al-bossa

My partner is German

> indo european language
> italian, spanish, czec

those are romanic and slavic, senpai.

>das Mädchen

Of course, there are shortcuts. The diminutive morpheme -chen always requires the neautral gender. E.g. The dog / der Hund but das Hündchen. Just because Mädchen has entered the lexicon as a fixed entity doesn't mean it's used any differently.

Careful, Bundesdeutscher. Don't make Hofer come over and unite the Volksstaat.

My school only had the options of Chinese and Japanese, of which one of the two were compulsory in 7 and 8 but you didn't get to choose

kek

1. The greatest country on earth
2. German
3. Right winger and our next president

I'd usually think that you are just trolling me, but since you are austrian I assume you are just that retarded.

Go for which ever one flows better in your head. There aren't any hard and fast rules to learn but there are patterns (e.g. most words ending in -e are female) that you will pick up on subconsciously.

Die, der, and das depends on the gender of the word
For example:
>Der Mann (Masculine)
>Die Frau (Feminine)
>Das Fahrrad (Neutral)

If the word is in plural the article wil automatically change to die:
>Die Männer
>Die Frauen
>Die Fahrräder

You can tell the difference between sie and sie by looking at the end of the verb. If it ends with -t, it's sie as in she. If it ends with -en, it's sie as in they.
>Sie isst (She eats)
>Sie essen (They eat)

I hope i'm right lel

Was it a QLD school? If not must be different within states.

der - male nouns
die - femail nouns and plural
das - neutral nouns
Also: sie when spellt with a lower caps s is the pronound for females and plural, Sie when spallt with a capital S is the polite address, conjugated as if it were plural.

Serhan and proud of it ;)
Im more than eager to continue impregnating your "so valuable" white women and produce more shitskins

So - unless you're LARPing - what are you doing on this board?

Most languages don't have retarded gender memorization bullshit rules with no way of telling what gender something is.

Its fun watching you being desperate and talking big words without any actual intention to do shit about it - if anyone is larping here, its you guys

nsw, all the schools around us had german and french but we had a significant asian population for some reason (100 additional exchange students from chink land turning up to study at year 11 every year) so that might have something to do with it

They couldn't speak English and refused to interact with the Australian students. Probably one of the reasons for my disdain for asian immigrants desu.

Kanaken in Deutschland sind so niedlich. Können schlechtes Deutsch, schlechtes Türkisch, wie ist das, wenn man keine Sprache so richtig beherrscht.
Sind sie manchmal wütend auf ihre Eltern? Sie werden NIEMALS als richtige Deutsche akzeptiert, als richtige Türken sowieso nicht.

Da spricht wohl jemand aus Erfahrung :^)

That's no way to talk to your family.

Fuck you.

I always lol when people tell me they're learning German when they could be learning non-endangered languages like Spanish or Russian.

Of course, it's hard to dissuade someone from something they're passionate about and it's easy to get passionate about German.

How hard is Ruskie? Maybe I'll pick it up after I'm done with kraut.

Yeah that's probably the reason why, I live in a QLD town fuck all in the middle of nowhere with a population of 20,000 that is 99% White, and we still had to learn German.

It's probably likely German is taught everywhere else but with few exceptions with cities and places that have high asian population.

It's extremely fucking hard but also extremely rewarding.

Russian people will be ecstatic if you make an effort to speak their language and Germans will generally shit on your every mistake and prefer to speak in English.

Nazi shit aside, I just really like how it sounds

I learnt German from year 4 to year 7. Wish I had kept with it so I could be fluent in time for the 4th Reich.

Best I got is "Gutentach mein name ist user, wie heist du Sie shieße kopf?"

Probably butchered that. Let me know.

Nicht aus eigener, bin ein "Biodeutscher", aber man braucht ja nur die Augen aufzumachen wenn man mal durch ne Stadt geht. Integration Fehlanzeige, die können teilweise in der DRITTEN Generation noch keinen gerade deutschen Satz hervorbringen.

"Unsere Frauen vögeln" und so, das ist ganz hübsches trollen, ich sehe aber nicht, dass das auf breiter Ebene stattfindet. Die meisten deutschen Mädels such sich immer noch einen deutschen Freund, die kulturellen Differenzen sind immer noch zu groß.

Die heissen auch in dritter Generation immer noch Gökmen, Ebru, Gül oder sonstwelche Fantasienamen, während in den USA jeder Immigrant seine Kinder schon Ken, John oder wasweissich nennen.

Komisch alles...

Learnt German for one year, all i could understand from that was "Hello my name is user"

Also, what's the difference between mein and meine, Krauts?

Memorise, little Cananon.

youtube.com/watch?v=vIi05c5lbbk

this video is really good for learning Cyrillic. I still can't read with any speed but at least I know each letter and the sounds

possessive pronouns, singular and plural

Any relation to ye, thee thy thou?

Not just singular and plural, it could also refer to different genders in both singular and plural.

Singular
>mein Haus (neutral)
>meine Küche (feminine)

Plural
>meine Häuser/Küche/Bäume (all genders)

true

cannot earn Honorary Aryan-hood without it

Looks hard to write quickly. i, j, z, so many strokes

some characters are simplified in Russian handwriting

the cursive version is literally not even recognizable

t. Rapefugees wet dream

I speak ruskie, it's extremely hard for English speakers to learn since the grammar is like 20 times harder and more complex and is almost nothing like English. In Russian you have to memorize 6 case endings in 3 genders plus their plural and diminutive versions and know exactly in which context to use them, compared to English where you just have to remember 3. All that on top of confusing pronunciation with a bunch of sounds and letters that almost never appear in English like Ё Ы Ц Щ Ь and Ъ. Chances are, you'll give up within a week or two.

No mention of Mark Twain's tirade on learning German yet?

Die Maid still remains feminine

just do it like the mudslimes, use "dem". everywhere, apparently. and forget about an/aus (on/off), they only know auf/zu (open/close).
thank you all for learning german, sometimes i feel unwelcome cause of my heritage...

Alter, hör auf linke Worte zu übernehmen, sie sind schon in deinem Kopf. Selbst wenn du es in Anführungsstrichen setzt.

Ich habe auch eine Abneigung gegen solche Begriffe, daher die Anführungsstriche. Es war eher als präventive Maßnahme gegen die üblichen "Achmed"-Anschuldigungen gedacht.