How do people get addicted to opiates?

how do people get addicted to opiates?

is it because they get hooked from the < 21 pills the doctor will give you MAX from when you get your wisdom teeth out?

or is it because they are degenerates with low self control and complete disregard for their futures?

if its the 2nd case; does it even matter that they are killing themselves slowly?

side question: is it even easy to get addicted to opiates? my uncle had a time in his life when he was going through some degenerative disc problem and he got a prescription for 30 pills for over 3 months and at the end of it all he isnt addicted to anything besides coffee...

what gives? i thought we were supposed to feel bad for addicts

Take a lot of them and find out, OP!

It's like wrapping up in warm cozy blankets fresh from the dryer for a while.

probably from being stupid

Because it feels good.

People who get addicted to them are abusing them not just taking them to heal pain. Anyways they feel pretty fucking great and make you content even when everything is shit so its pretty easy to see why people get addicted.

so why exactly do we need to care about this "war on heroin/fentanyl"?

the people that are dying/suffering from this deserve to die and suffer right?

why should i have to pay money to support stupid people.

Chasing the feeling.

A lot of people start from irresponsible pain management. Withdrawals from opiates are the biggest reason people stay on them. Also, their tolerance rises faster than their allocation of prescription and then you start finding alternatives like heroin.

>t. Someone who has never taken an opiate

Not in my experience. It's more like being in a state of semi-consciousness where I would have lucid dreams and would wake up to itch myself and it felt so good to scratch my body it was almost sexual.

Brett Favre and Rush Limbaugh are two of the most Alpha-Males out there....

And opiates brought each to their knees....

It must enhance good times to even greater times, and then the user fears not having as good of a time if the drug isn't there.

I may have used Tylenol 3 (w/codine)... but that's it.

>all I got.

I just got out of the hospital. They put me on morphine, dilaudid, gave me pills and sent me home with a huge bottle of them.
I'm not into them, but after 5 days of being on that stuff, I could see how you could get used to them. They take away aches and pains you didn't know were there and you feel warm.
They're too fucking good. I don't ever want to take one again.

Got some during oral surgery, but they made me nauseous. That and the constipation after-effects is enough to keep me away.

m,i found out about pizza gate and now i want to take more xanax and do any type of drug to numb me from this pain

I took em for my wisdom teeth and didn't feel a high just a lack of pain. I planned on not taking my medicine but then the pain killers the oral surgeon gave me wore off lol.

>how do people get addicted to opiates?
weakness

People realise you get a good buzz from them, so they take more like a retard and cry foul when they're hooked.
Pill junkies are the niggers of white people, and they don't deserve sympathy.
>But it's a disease!
Yup, a disease caused by niggerish behavior and a failure to follow the prescription instructions/warnings.

>tfw allergic to opiates so can never get addicted

(((doctors))) and (((big pharma))) collude to overprescribe painkillers to thus leading to addiction.

Oh yeah i hated that not being able to poop shit it was horrid

blow an oxy and you tell us...

i took them when i got my wisdom teeth out. less than 21 pills total supply.

shit was overrated as fuck; the fact that people get addicted to such a shit feeling is a testament to how fucking stupid people are.

and the rest of us are stuck paying increased taxes to "help" these "poor and unfortunate" people

>or is it because they are degenerates with low self control and complete disregard for their futures?
That's your answer. Lack of self-control is a HUGE part of any vice. Eventually it becomes so much of a habit you don't even realize you're doing it until you're without it.

I knew a lady who smoked for forty years, decided to quit. Woke up the first morning 'sober' from cigarettes and lit up, didn't even realize she was doing it 'til someone pointed it out. It literally becomes an integral part of your life.

>my uncle had a time in his life when he was going through some degenerative disc problem and he got a prescription for 30 pills for over 3 months and at the end of it all he isnt addicted to anything besides coffee...

gosh, what a scientific experiment

you guys should contact medical journals

>dumbasses actually fucking believe this
>the doctor is reluctant to even give > 14 day supplies
>you need to renew your prescription every 30 days and even then they will evaluate if you even need to continue

dont buy into this liberal reddit bullshit.

the people who are addicted to this shit deserve whatever they get

This right here bruh. Good feels

almost as bad xanax. therapeutic range is very close to addiction range.

Try out some big boy painkillers like oxycodone

You will understand

I felt myself starting to enjoy the pills when I had to take them. Cut myself off early with about half the pills left and started taking weaker shit like Advil. It's too fucking obvious for it to sneak up on you and even with the 21 I wouldn't have had a strong enough habit to seek them out.

>the < 21 pills the doctor will give you MAX

I've broken two bones and on both occasions had gotten an immediate refill of hydros when i asked.

Addicts just have weak constitution. In my experience, opiates aren't that great. I've only had morphine and oxy in low doses mind you - ~10-15 mg. Still prefer weed anyway, I like variety.

all we can know in this world is what we see first hand and what we can try to decipher from what other people tell us.

all throughout the years the news has been trying to tell me of the dangers of people "accidentally" getting addicted to opiates due to doctors overprescribing drugs for too long but i saw with my own two eyes someone who took over the course of 3 months something like 4-6 pills a day?

and he came out of it just fine.

what you see with your own two eyes should not be discounted just because another group with potentially more people seems to think another way

Or you could follow the instructions on the prescription to manage your pain until you heal up instead of increasing your dosage to chase the high.

Nasty flu like symptoms.

I'm deathly afraid of developing a drug habit.

I don't take anything unless I absolutely have to.

Strongest pain pill I'd take is Tylenol.

i wouldn't say they deserve to die or suffer, it's society's fault for sweeping shit under the rug
>law swoops down heavily on junkies and not the dealers
>junkies hide in drug houses or some industrial area
>people think there's no drug problem
>drugs everywhere
>no sympathy because they've been told they deserve to be locked away
>sympathizes finally when it's their own family that suffers from it
in europe you'll see junkies shooting up in some of the most highly trafficked pedestrian areas, typically near the train stations, police and society doesn't give a fuck. it's their lives they can do what they want with them, and the rest of society learns not to be like junkies

Very wise

Opiates can fuck up even the strongest man

>it's society's fault for sweeping shit under the rug
but at the same time why should it be societies responsibility to "clean up the filth" rather than just throwing it away like it deserves to be?

I honestly have no idea, I've tried injecting big doses of pharmaceutical grade morphine and hydromorphone, all it did was make me nauseous, sleepy, slightly itchy, mildly euphoric ect and I've never really had any desire to get high on opiates again, even decent weed gives a more enjoyable high IMO

?people who get addected to them are abusing them not just taking them to heal pain

that's not true man I had a close friend of mine ge prescribed dilaudid after major surgery. He took it AS INSTRUCTED and ended up addicted.

because they protected the people profiting off of getting people addicted to it in the first place

There is a strong genetic component to addiction.

my friend followed the instructions and ended up addicted....

holy shit yeah man they gave me so much of that stuff if I took it as prescribed I would literally nod off and start drooling....those heavy duty pills are no joke.

>He took it AS INSTRUCTED
>my friend followed the instructions and ended up addicted

how fucking convenient

you dont doubt them in the slightest, right? why would someone lie like that you know i mean it only completely absolves them of responsibility for their disgusting habits and allows them a shred of dignity

no. they are fucking lying when they say they took them "as directed" and even if there is opiate withdrawal how fucking bad is it going to be that you will fiend for more drugs just because you sprained your knee or something

sometimes you shouldn't even take them even if they're prescribed. i had a wisdom tooth pulled, and was given a prescription for hydrocodone, i don't know why i went to a walgreens and got them, but i never took one pill... i didn't need them

also why do you need opiates for having a tooth pulled in the first place?

He probably already had latent patterns of abuse.

Most people who take the pills for therapeutic purposes don't show signs of physical dependence unless they are taking them for a very extended period of time.

I took 10-20 mg a day after my ACL surgery for about a month and had no dependence. And I certainly have an addictive personality.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get them.

And doctors are more than willing to hand it out like fucking candy.

>all throughout the years the news has been trying to tell me of the dangers of people "accidentally" getting addicted to opiates due to doctors overprescribing drugs for too long but i saw with my own two eyes someone who took over the course of 3 months something like 4-6 pills a day?

what medication was he on? what was the dosage? how many pills did he take a day? how long exactly was he taking them?

notice how you know fucking nothing about it?

this is barnyard animal stupid, man

I had the same experience

Took a couple for the keks but my teeth weren't bothering me.

It takes the pain of [insert surgery here] away. That's the main reason. Doctors just fucking prescribe more of it and more of it.

I dunno, I take oxy semi regularly for pain medication (and fun), and I've never become addicted.
Like said, higher doses fucking suck, and your tolerance builds up quickly, I found taking them steady is the best way to enjoy.

I had IV morphine and PO hydromorphone/dilaudid at the hospital and I dont' know how people can get addicted to them. Didn't feel that good.

they're just happiness in a bottle

the warm feeling, that everything is going to be alright nod, and don't get me started on the body high

wisdom teeth? no
>almost died in car accident
>almost a year of physical therapy
took me awhile to get off those shits they're terrible.
if someone here hasnt tried them and is thinking about it, the high isnt worth the pain you suffer trying to get off.

People experiencing pain respond differently to opiates than those who are not. This is actually one of the ways doctors try to detect whether or not someone is faking pain.

Come back from deployment with very real physical and psychological pain. VA was giving out opies like it was China 1886.

Doesn't take much, surprisingly.

I took dilaudid every 4 hours for over 25 days in the hospital

throwing up from the detox is pretty bad but get some willpower

i still have 3 of my wisdom teeth left, ones rotted to shit but i have no pain from them... i had no problems with resting my teeth before i went ahead and saw a dentist and listened to the piece of shits, now i can barely find a comfortable position to rest my jaw, headaches frequently maybe that's the scam, fuck up your jaw where you can't find a comfortable resting position, hook you on opiates

some people don't deal with pain as well

honestly though its funny how easy they are prescribed, i got 2 pints of some strong opiate for my tonsil surgery

had so much fun with it

A childhood of over stimulation from a multitude of sources; visual, chemical, dietary, etc leads to desensitization, leads to depression, leads to the belief that blacking out is a preferable state of mind. It's simply a downward spiral from there fueled by a need for stronger opiates or a limited income (eventually losing your job) to seeking out more dangerous drugs. Once you start smoking it you're pretty much done for and needles are inevitable.

I don't know man, I'm slightly addicted to the pills for the euphoric/ cozy feeling but at the same time I could never take heroin. I had to get morphine once in hospital for a pelvic fracture and it gave me the worse Nausea, my stomach felt like a collapsing star. I only take a lot of pills if I'm prescribed them and I also have a strong liver because that shit barely hits me even at 160 pounds. Dilaudid intramuscular was bliss for my second fracture however. I assume heroin would make me sick to my stomach like morphine did. Narcan should only be used to save junkies once, after that it's on you whether you stop or od again.

It's extremely important to treat pain directly after surgery. Patients need to get up and moving as soon as possibly after surgery and many can't do that without relief of pain.

For example, somebody who has abdominal surgery needs to cough regularly to prevent bacteria from accumulating in their lungs and developing pneumonia and can't do that if it w/o pain management

I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth out at the same time.
I don't think I would have been able to manage the first few days without perks

>Once you start smoking it
dude you're full of shit, opium is impossible to find

Take them even in the small prescribed doses for 3-6 months and physical dependence will kick in no matter how strong willed you are...

mine weren't even impacted, yet they insisted they had to remove them

shit grows wild in germany, used to have poppy flowers next door where this guy hadn't finished building his house

I get a lot of joint pain but I can't even take 2 no-prescription ibuprofen or paracetemol with codeine tablets without throwing up.
Only took 2 of the oxy tablets I got after my appendix was removed.

So opiates only help with pain for two weeks, after that it causes more of a problem.

I have severe intestinal issues, required surgery multiple times.
Sometimes I got hooked and had severe withdrawals.
Sometimes I didn't and ended use like I never took one.
If I got hooked it takes seven days to detox, and you feel like you're dying.
I never got pain meds that weren't prescribed.
I don't know the rhyme or reason why certain times it did and didn't.
Might be a mental state before taking, might be the frequency and dosing, I don't know.
Opiates override all senses of pleasure in life where everything is pain by comparison.
After seven days though anyone should be able to readjust.

oh ok, why is it hard to find here?

>so why exactly do we need to care about this "war on heroin/fentanyl"?

Because heroin is illegal and not fighting crime is stupid

because people here are pussies? i don't know

imbecile

and this:
>my uncle had a time in his life when he was going through some degenerative disc problem and he got a prescription for 30 pills for over 3 months and at the end of it all he isnt addicted to anything besides coffee...

anecdotal fallacy

Its not hard, you're just not looking. Anyways, smoking opium is retarded, you would literally need acres of opium to get high

It comes in and eases the pains you try not to acknowledge. People with histories of abuse get hooked for this reason.
Opiates aren't anything especially addictive, but when they are, it usually stems to this reason. It's a different coverup for emotional pain and physical pain than. say, overeating.

No victim. No crime.

The truth is he's my father. I saw the instructions on the bottle, "take every two hours as needed."

This was a man who never got addicted to any other painkillers, morphine, codeine, you name it. But dilaudid fucked him up.
He quit cold turkey because he didn't want to be a addict.
One day perhaps you will be addicted and have some sympathy for people who suffer from addiction.

cause you got a great big bloody joke in your mouth and some people find that extremely painful enough to take pain meds stronger than Tylenol? are you dumb? opiates may be abusable but they're still a legitimate pain medication.

If you ask me, cannabis is a more effective pain reliever than opiates anyway. not nearly as harmful or addictive and zero chance for a fatal overdose (if used only without any other drugs of course). but it manages to kill or at least distract you from your pain just as good if not better than opiates. plus being high is just fun especially when youre down with an illness or an injury

sounds like some pussy shit, you could just drink until you're wasted

>One day perhaps you will be addicted and have some sympathy for people who suffer from addiction.
i will never have sympathy for them, i quit cold turkey and it sure sucks but it's not the impossible hell people make it out to be

There's a metric fuckliad of nerves connected to your adult teeth.

>is it even easy to get addicted to opiates?

Not really. You need to put in effort. Once you have had your first habit though you'll pick up another easily.

>i thought we were supposed to feel bad for addicts

You can feel bad for whoever you want. I don't.

so

if you live long enough, one day you'll be in pain

when you, and your pain is taken away from a pill, you'll think of me laughing at you and calling you weak for hurting. then maybe you'll understand the difference between pain and weakness

>You do look glum! What you need is a gramme of soma
>A gramme is always better than a damn
>A gramme in time saves nine
>One cubic centimetre cures ten gloomy sentiments
>Everybody’s happy nowadays
> Every one works for every one else
>When the individual feels, the community reels
>Never put off till to-morrow the fun you can have to-day
>Progress is lovely

imagine feeling like shit. imagine there is a pill you can take, and you will feel good immediately. no more pain. you feel warm, cozy, and happy. you close your eyes, think of pleasant memories, and smile. life is good now. you aren't hurting like you were a few minutes ago. that's how.

I take one 10mg vic a day. It's been two weeks. How fucked am I?

Very true. My girlfriend in college became addicted to them after blowing out her shoulder. She walked away thank God.

Grew up with twin brothers down the street. One of them became an EMT other got hooked on heroin. His brother revived him during his first overdose. Kicked the habit when he had a baby girl. Tried it months later again and killed himself.

...saw his ex fiance on a dating site a few weeks ago. Ripped me up inside.

Don't touch it anons. If you're going to fuck up at least use uppers avoid the opiates at all costs. They will be a death sentence.

Super easy to get addicted because they take your pain away and make you feel amazing. Had some after surgery and I remember feeling disappointed when my bottle ran out. I don't really have any addictions so it surprised me at the time. I would never touch them recreationally. I've seen too many people go through the pills-->heroin--->ded cycle.

>how do people get addicted to opiates?
It is the best feeling you will have in the world, the only feeling that beats it is it's big brother heroin

nigger, boiling a few pods into a tea can produce a quart of opium laden liquid that can OD an opiate-naive user.

acres, dis nigga...the fuck outta here

as minimally fucked as possible

hydrocodone get scripted to high schoolers

not that fucked, but stop taking them. Withdrawals off low dose hydro isnt shit really.

You're fine, pussy

Don't poke the bear. Booze and nicotine if you have to. Recommend working out to destress and release endorphins.

>what is dopamine

I got into a car accident. I had mild whiplash at first aside from a concussion, but a few weeks later I came to realize I had some spinal damage that was slowly getting worse. I threw my back out so bad I had to get taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Got hooked on pain killers and muscle relaxers. Lost 40lbs over the course of a coupl years, dropped down to 130lbs at 6ft tall. I was pretty skelly mode.

Its easy to get addicted when you're prescribed something you have a real need for at first.

medical cannabis would be better for people involved directly after a car wreck