Visiting based Texas soon

Any tips or advice?

I never held a gun in my life before and I'm thinking about going to a shooting range, do they allow tourists to shoot guns there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S2ozLtD9_Kw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Chile*

VA here, but yeah just bring your passport to the range as a show of ID, and you should be fine.

I had a friend from the UK come and that's all they needed for him to shoot.

Not legally at a range, no. You need your paperwork which takes a long time. If you know someone with a bit of property you can just go shoot some shit over there though.

Texan here, no one gives a fuck

youll blend right in with the wetbacks

prepare to get be both relieved and mildly offended as everyone completely ignores you

Depends on the range, most indoor ranges have guns you can rent. Have fun and avoid Austin unless you want to see what California has done to Texas

Be sure to learn spanish

That's not gonna happen I hate spanish

Many ranges require you or a member of your party to have some basic understanding of how guns operate before you are allowed to rent one. For example, you may have to show that you know how to lock the slide back on a handgun and demonstrate how to load and release the magazine. It would be helpful if you bring someone along who is more experienced.

should i learn portuguese instead of spanish

Texanon here. I've never heard them having anything against it, but you might google it to check the local laws.

Where in Texas are you wanting to visit? Some of the bigger cities have ranges where you can rent full-auto.

What part are you visiting, op?

You should be able to shoot if you know someone that has a range membership or lives on a lot of land. Just don't be an idiot, and never point the gun anywhere except downrange, even if you "know it's unloaded"

What the fuck kind of retard country would we be if we didn't let every fucking yahoo shoot off their very own gun?

For real. Come on over.

So I'm getting mixed responses here, I'm guessing it's not common in the ranges to have a instructor or something like that?

I was picturing the service (the ranges) to include a "guide" somehow, I don't want to just rent a gun and be left alone in a room with targets, I would end up wasting time and money

As a foreigner you will be asked three questions to determine if you are capable of being trusted with a fire arm

>what side do you have with you steak?
acceptable answers: brisket, whiskey, or beer (if it is your breakfast steak)

>how many mexicans died at the Alamo?
answer: not enough.

>what does a Texan fear more than a nigger with a gun?
answer: a mexican with a suitcase.

I want to go to houston to visit the Nasa stuff, how cool is that?

Portuguese can be very tough I heard, not sure user, pretty much everyone speaks english nowadays

Most ranges will have an RO, a Range Officer, who keeps an eye on the people and makes sure that you're not doing anything totally retarded. He can give you some instruction.

Hey thanks, I met a Texan and he was cool as fuck his name was Doug and he lives in Georgia now

>pooston

I guess you won't be enjoying fucking RODEO and BBQ and white water river rafting.

>I guess you won't be enjoying fucking RODEO and BBQ and white water river rafting.

The rodeo stuff seems lame but u fucking love barbecue, not sure about river raft, sound expensive and dangerous

Houston is a mess of a city, but the NASA stuff is pretty neat. If you want to actually spend time somewhere pleasant I'd suggest going to Houston to check out the space stuff and then moving on down the road to Dallas or New Braunfels.

Oh I live out in the middle of nowhere so our ranges are community run, or just some random redneck who turned his land into a range basically.

If you're at a larger city you might be able to find a range like what you describe.

I'd rather be in the smaller and more rural cities where I can see the "real" americans, so I'll consider New Braunfels because Dallas must be HUGE

I hope you like getting your dick sucked, cause all Texans are fucking faggots.

edgy

Don't believe his lies, Dallas fucking sucks. It's full of $30,000 millionaires

BBQ in Houston

>Killen's
>Blakes BBQ
>Demeris
>Rudys (fast and everywhere)

which city?

Oh dude you should go to new braunsfels, it's cheapNew braunfels/San Marcos is pretty and cool as hell.

You can rent a tube and float down the river and drink beer. It's way more pleasant than it sounds

Dallas is in fact huge, but there's a lot of cool shit to do. If you don't mind a lot of driving, you ought to check out Jefferson way off in east Texas. It's not far from the Louisiana state line. Little town full of antique shops and historical markers, used to be a port city on the river. Shit's comfy.

Texarkana is neat because it's actually two towns: Texarkana, Texas and Texarkana, Arkansas. The state line cuts main street down the middle, and both of the city halls are mirror images of the other. Drive on one side of the road, you're in Arkansas. Drive on the other, you're in Texas.

Aside from that, we've got plenty of lakes you can fuck around in if you enjoy the water, and down by Houston and on Galveston Island there are plenty of beaches. Water isn't bad, but the beaches tend to be kind of dirty.

>The rodeo stuff seems lame

git the fuck out

kidding, but seriously now they're a good time and a must see if you want to experience our rich heritage but the NASA stuff in Houston is cool too. I remember going there a couple of times as a kid.

New Braunfels is a nice little town. Fredricksburg is only an hour away. Got to have you some BBQ when you're here! As far as ranges go, there are several that will rent you a gun and show you how to shoot it. Have fun and don't shoot yerself!

Thank you user

Not sure what you mean by this, his reply made me want to go to New Braunfels and not Dallas

That sound cool as fuck and exactly what I would enjoy, thank you user

Salt Lick!!!!!

you forgot Gatlin's, BBQ Inn, and Goode Co.

Rudy's is good but it's fast food BBQ not great when compared to others

>Rudys (fast and everywhere)

Rudy's and Whataburger are examples of fine Texan cuisine.

We have a kind o Rodeo in Brazil too, you guys pull bulls by their tails and drop them? And them tie their legs? Or is it different?

Thnk you user, great insights

I'm moving from Mississppi to Texas, I've never been there before. I'll be in San Antonio soon, any advice or info? Stuff to do or how to avoid stepping on any toes?
>inb4 don't be a faggot, faggot
cheers!

Damn I would love that, this pic waters my mouth

The central Texas Hill Country is where you want to be! Prettiest place on earf!

Some advice: Don't be an asshole, be gracious and patient and you will do just fine!

Classic Doug

>Water isn't bad
>Galveston

I absolutely love Galveston but the water is fucking disgusting I don't know where you got that idea.

New Braunfels is pretty cool

$30,000 millionaire is someone who acts like they're a millionaire but only has $30,000 or less to their name. For instance thinking because you have halogen lights and a lifted truck you're a badass even though everyone has a truck like that.

then get your ass over here sonny

there's better places than Rudy's trust me. Whataburger is fantastic though, everything on the menu is a gift from the gods

Thank to all anons this thread was great

youtube.com/watch?v=S2ozLtD9_Kw

btw you can thank America for innovating cheaper ammo too

Austin is Commiefornia 2.0, along with San Marcos. College towns suck as hard as the libcucks who live in them. Houston is one giant concrete poverty stricken shit hole ghetto. Dallas is full of drunkards and Cowboys fans. San Antonio is the river walk and homeless people. DON'T GO TO LAREDO THERE IS NOTHING THERE BUT BORDER SHIT NOW. South Padre Island is pretty nice when there is no one else there. The cops here don't fuck around if you are not white. West Texas is nothingness and mountains. East Texas is nothingness and mixed hillbillyness from LA, AR and the like. North Texas is basically south Oklahomo minus the injuns. For your own benefit I would get a gun you can have LEGALLY and know how to use it for the New West. Why are you coming here; go to Montana. It's what Texas used to be but colder, nicer and more Texas than Texas can ever hope to be again.

Also, Y'all is proper English here. If you talk normal (faggy) anywhere, be prepared to be not only misunderstood/incomprehensible but also ridiculed.

Fuck the toll roads, they won't do shit.

Texas born and raised.

People really don't give a fuck if you're gay here. They may poke fun at you, but it's just bantz.
San Antonio is full of Tejanos and illegals. Be nice to the former, fuck the latter.
Generally what said. Be polite, don't be rude. People tend to move kind of slow here, so don't rush.

I haven't been to Galveston since I was a little kid, so that may be skewing my views on it.

Welcome to Texas, huebro. Hope you have a good stay!

Enjoy the BBQ and try out a whataburger if you see one (you'll see one).

Houstonian here, but Hard 8 in Dallas beats Rudy's out in quality.

Shit is properly smoked, out in the open, has a massively higher quality in sides and drinks, and the staff all have amazing southern hospitality.

any time I have a client for dinner, I take them to Hard 8, shit is so Texas, they buy a gun afterwards.

>non-Texans have become the new carpetbaggers

thanks

Rudy's is fucking 10/10 bro, IDK what you're on. I've been all over central and east TX for work, and Rudy's is by far the best chain BBQ in existence. EVERY town has a little hole in the wall that's awesome, sure, but Rudy's is consistent as fuck

1/2lb moist brisket
side of creamed corn
handfull of cherry peppers and jalapenos

wew lad

>Also, Y'all is proper English here. If you talk normal (faggy) anywhere, be prepared to be not only misunderstood/incomprehensible but also ridiculed.

People will notice I'm foreigner straight away I have too much accent, the same goes for cops, you think they will treat me different when they see I'm Brazilian?

River walk is fun but can get boring, you need to visit Alamo once, the loops are your friend for travel, I fucking loved living in SA, now I am at Dripping Springs near Austism
Fuck Austin. Seriously

>I rather be in the smaller and more rural cities where I can see the "real" Americans

Why the fuck can't everyone who comes over here be as respectful as this. Thanks, friend. Enjoy your stay

Thanks user I visited the US before and it was fucking awesome

Have none of you numbskulls been to SALT LICK BBQ?

It's just south of Dripping Springs. It will make your tounge beat your brains out! It's a must try BBQ joint! Get it Family style(all you can eat) The burnt ends are the bomb!

whats your career user

hahaha that sounds just like Doug

Dallas is only good because of its proximity to Fort Worth. If you can swing by there and check out the stockyards it's a pretty cool time. You should also eat at Joe T Garcia's while you're there.

Good BBQ is everywhere. I live near Houston and some of the best places are the random little trailers or hole in the wall joints that nobody's heard of. If it looks like it's run by some backwater hick it's probably delicious.

You will fit in just fine, because only two types of people are in Texas...

>San Antonio
Pros:
- Nice night scene, especially around the waterway
- Full of real Tejanos, based 3+ generation Texans of Hispanic descent. They have god tier food and
- Bitches from San Marcos for days
- Lovely Historic scenery and lots of musical venues
- Moderate

Cons:
- Tourists / Tourist Trap vibes in areas
- Mexican Mafia(as in real mobsters, not thugs) are prevelent on the West Side
- The loop around the city is a fucking pain
- People fucking stop to get on exits to freeways for some fucking reason
- Still gets murderously hot like Houston during July-September over 100 degrees with 100% humidity and no stops.

Also as a rule of thumb, shop at HEB, or leave the fucking state you Dixie fuck.

Welcome to the best Country in the world. Enjoy!

>The loops
What's that?

How based is San Antonio specifically? I hear really bad things about Houston for example.

Can any user give me insight into the Texas mindset? Like, in New York City it's typical to just be very brusque and constantly on the move. What is San Antonio and Texas as a whole like in that regard?

>tfw excited to live in Texas

Hey everyone was respectful with me when I first visited, except that one car rental employee in Commifornia who tried to push a overpriced car for me in the airport, he also tried to push me an insurance scam and say that if i didn't had insurance (which I already had from my credicard) the cops would arrest me

I live right next to it haha, I roll down my windows on my way to town and let the delicious smell roll in.
The ribs are my favorite!

Oh and when you're here, be sure to stop at the small mom and pop restaurants. You'll find them everywhere, they're little holes in the wall that don't look like much but I've never been to one that had bad food.

No prob. In big cities you don't see as much of it, but in mid-sized to small towns people tend to hold open doors, mind their Ps and Qs, and generally show the kind of southern hospitality that Northerners and Califags can't understand at all. If you're used to courtesy and manners, you'll fit right in.

It depends a lot on the cop. Most of the time if you're polite, answer their questions, and don't make any sudden moves or do anything retarded it won't matter. Just keep your hands on the wheel, look them in the eyes, and say sir.

I don't know how much police corruption Brazil has, but bribes aren't a thing that cops do here, so don't offer them unless you want a problem and don't expect to get hit up for them either. Regular small-town cops are a fifty/fifty mix of assholes and good old boys, city cops tend to be shitheads all around, and State Troopers (the ones you'll see the most of if you do a lot of driving) are harsh but very fair.

All in all, just mind your manners and make sure all your documentation is in order and the cops won't give you much trouble. Don't speed, don't drive like a retard.

They'll probably think you're Mexican and but they won't care either way. Most Americans don't even know where Brazil is, so we really don't have any kind of prejudice to them.

Thank you this is exactly what I needed to hear kek

>except the one car rental employee

FUCK these guys. I know exactly what you're talking about. These scam artists are fucking cancer.

Make sure it is just a visit and you go back home.

What the fuck was his problem?

I'm very respectful I respect the cops

about speeding though, that's a tricky stuff, the last time I visited I drove around a lot, and in the highways I tried very hard to stay inside the limits according to the signs I saw on the roads

Despite that, A LOT OF CARS speed trough me very fast honking their horns like if i was doing something wrong (this actually hapenned mostly on the way to the LA airport).

so my question is, is the speed limit really what the signs show? Or is there something obvious that I'm missing here?

I love my country despite the favelas and monkeys, and I have a good life here so don't worry about me user

You're usually safe to go 10% over the limit and not get pulled over. Most people on a 65 are going to be going 75.
You weren't looking at the km/h were you? Huheuheuhue

The speed limit is in fact the fastest you're allowed to go by law.

A lot of people ignore it, and a lot of people wind up losing money in tickets because they ignore it. Texas is a really big state--bigger than the entire country of France. There's a lot of ground to cover, and just driving from Texarkana, on the Arkansas border, to Dallas takes three hours. That's not even halfway across the state.

The general rule of thumb is if you're going less than five hours over the speed limit, you're safe--in big cities on freeways, tollways, and things like that, speed limits go out the window. Here in Dallas, even the cops speed on the freeways, and you have to speed not to get flattened.

But if you're not on a freeway, follow the speed limit and fuck the haters. Stay in the right-hand lane of the road when you aren't in a town, because the left lane is typically only for cars that are passing slower ones.

Marketing.

Loop 410 and Loop 1604 run around SA, which can let you get to most places easier than trying to go through the city.Traffic is awful but better than city streets

Five hours. Fuck my life. Five MILES. I've heard and his 10% figure too, and so far as I know that's accurate as well.

Hue

no, the rentals only had MPH cars

>The general rule of thumb is if you're going less than five hours over the speed limit, you're safe--in big cities on freeways, tollways, and things like that, speed limits go out the window.

Didn't understand this part, sorry user, i got all the rest of your reply tho

Major cities in Texas are extremely diverse (except by the border). No one will care that you are Brazilian. Be polite and honest to cops and they will usually cut you some slack. Small town cops may bust your balls because they have nothing else to do.

I get it now

Pretty much this. Nobody's going to beat up on you for being a huemonkey.

God I hated California, just wanted to say this almost nothing in CA was good for me ( I stayed in Oakland)

How can I seem more friendly to smaller town cops?

Ignoré the anti-Houston faggots. Houstonian here to tell you the shit you can do

>Downtown Aquarium
>Houston Museum of Natural Science
>NASA shiet (Space Center Houston)
>Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo
>Houston Zoo (visit at night for Zoo Lights)

There's some stuff I'm missing, but that should keep you busy for at LEAST a week. There are lots of minorities, yes, but it's still worth a visit.

Do people say "howdy" in Texas?

Texan here. If you want the real Texas experience, you need to go kill some hogs. It helps our local wildlife out as well!

Pic related. Premium hog killing rifle.

I would love to do that, is that feasible for a tourist? is it dangerous?

Why Texas? Outside of SoCal and Arizona, that's like the South America of the US. Why not see something different, maybe experience a proper winter somewhere. See the mall of america, or Portland Maine or something /comfy/?

thanks I would enjoy all of those things I think, except the Rodeo

be polite, don't act drunk in public or drive like a maniac. say yes sir and no sir, even to the female cops because they are officers of the law by title.

I heard so much about Texas I'm kinda hyped up to see the place, I want to see other places too, Maine was definitely not on my list I thought it was boring over there

If you can find someone with private property and a hog problem, it wouldn't be hard for a tourist at all. Most places where you pay to hunt require a license and such. If you hunt on private property, pretty much anything is fair game.

>say yes sir and no sir, even to the female cops

Shouldn't I say 'madam'??

you can pay to shoot hogs on a ranch, google it, there are a bunch of them.

If you like nature, and seeing stuff that you can't see in Brazil, it's cool. Great food and beer too.

not if they are in uniform, sir is short for officer. If you call them ma'am they will think you don't take them seriously as an officer, like calling a lady doctor miss.

This is me.