Let's talk about pork, baybeee

Hey!
So does anyone know the root, subtextual reason for Islam's prohibition on pork in particular? I know they also hate like lions and shit, and I know good ol' Muhametd liked to make it up on the fly.

>Is it the seeming dirtiness of the animal?

>The apparently human-like screams that pigs unleash when slaughtered?

>Or are there sneakier reasons, too? Like financial or otherwise non-spiritual reason for it.

I've heard a lot, trying to find out more.

>Also general pork history in religion thread, and just pork in general. mmmm

bump with pork

because it was freaking hot there, and swine meat tends to spoil very fast if not cared properly, so salmonella
muslims in balkan never refused pork, because they know we know how to make it

Pigs have to be bled out or the meat is toxic.

That's it.

Eating pork was more likely to cause illness because pigs are omnivores. They can be fed putrid meat, and when allowed to roam freely (which is how animals were kept before the advent of factory farming), will scavenge on whatever garbage, putrid meat, or waste they can.

Most religious prohibitions were primitive public health measures because they were created in a time when illness seemed to be the wrath of God. It is why so many religions emphasize cleanliness and purity. Eg. Muslim ritual cleaning, Hindu castes of unclean professions.

I think it comes from the same place as the Jews' ban on pork: health reasons. Prior to the 19th century, pork was known to contain trichinosis (like how raw chicken contains salmonella and can be dangerous), so they taught to avoid it (in order to avoid death). That's my guess at least. Obviously this shit is outdated, but I imagine that's where it came from.

>will scavenge on whatever garbage, putrid meat, or waste they can.

fucking canadian education, what garbage in that time, also in a desert like cities?

it's simply a continuation of Jewish dietary law

Islam was birthed out of a confluence of Jewish, Christian, and Pre-Islamic Arab pagan traditions. It obviously draws most heavily from Abrahamaic thought

The origin of the Judaic pig taboo is unknown, there are theories but no hard conclusions; it wasnt exclusive among jews in early canaanite traditions- some of their semitic neighbors also abstained from eating pigs, some did not.

Muslims aren't "scared" of pigs, or of pork, or of pork products.

The fuck are you on? Even hunter gatherers produce garbage and waste, let alone the urban societies in which organized religion flourished.

One of the major hypotheses for how dogs were domesticated from wolves revolves around wolves following humans and scavenging food from abandoned camps and becoming tamer as humans killed off the aggressive wolves and the tamer wolves beginning to get a greater and greater percentage of their calories from humans rather than hunting.

some theories include
1) health reasons

2) Pig husbandry is a sedentary practice; nomads don't and cant raise pigs. The Torah contains numerous exhortations towards a nomadic pastoral shepardic existence. Its possible that the taboo arose out of these early shephard communities

Canadian sewer pigs, KEK.

>nomadic
Pretty sure the Torah is all about conquering the promised land with the expectation of staying there indefiniately.

Just pointing out - even back in Egypt, swine-herders were kinda "untouchables". The lowest of the low. So it is not a "jewish" or "muslim" tradition, but more borne out of their local circumstances - which were incorporated into their respective faith.

there was plenty of waste. Some of the most promising sites for archaeological excavation are waste pits, containing refuse like food scraps, bones, waste vegetable matter, broken tools, etc.

This is not even getting to the larger rubbish dump sites of the late bronze and iron age

>2) Pig husbandry is a sedentary practice; nomads don't and cant raise pigs. The Torah contains numerous exhortations towards a nomadic pastoral shepardic existence. Its possible that the taboo arose out of these early shephard communities

what about sheep? Why would they be allowed

pigs don't roam the cities like dogs or cats, they were always in designated (confined) places so others don't steal them

The Torah contains a multitude of traditions and works, of varying age, woven together by several authors over period of several centuries.

During the babylonian exile, authors emphasized the mythological right to canaan and the eventual return to the promised land

there are much, much older nomadic traditions still woven into the texts, traditions to which i am referring here

nomads keep sheep. Shepherds move around with their herds. Much different than sedentary farmers keeping pigs in an enclosure

Like I said, these are not theories I necessarily subscribe to, these are theories with which I am familiar

That's where you're wrong. I've literally traveled around the world. I can tell you that in many pastoral societies, domesticated animals, including pigs are allowed to roam freely during the day to forage for food. They return to their owners for a guaranteed evening meal and a place to sleep.

>pic related, some Tibetan pigs I saw roaming freely in a Tibetan village.

isnt isnt really islamic, its biblical.

Leviticus (not pulling up the verses) states "eating an animal with a cleft hoof, but does not chew cud is unclean" and lists pork as an example.

considering black people eat lots of pork, and 20 million out of 44 million (just shy of 50%) have cardio vascular disease, I'll skip out on it. there's also the fact 240 million out of 320 million people in america are fat, slow, and fucking stupid.

so I will avoid pork given the circumstances.

Pigs are often infected with parasites in the middle east. These parasites can transfer to humans.

Sven gets it.

I love pork Chile Verde is my shit bacon is alright but I feel bad because piggys are cute as fuck so I limit my pork consumption to like once a month I had pork chops at the homies mom's pad on Saturday they were great also cannibals say human taste like pork that kinda gross and some nigger in the 9th grade called me the pink pig skinned white man it still bothers me :) what if they are cursed people born into suffering for living a life of gluttony are organs are interchangeable in all