Gaming. Is it bad? And if so, why

Gaming. Is it bad? And if so, why.

I game casually from time to time when at home with nothing else to do, failing to see why so many share the belief it's a negative thing.

In my eyes, it's yet another means to distract oneself, much alike to reading a book or watching a movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mFCOUrVXAVU
youtube.com/watch?v=zVEaQZo-__M
youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2Tm5LU_fE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The thing is that reading allow you to expand on your culture whereas playing video games is stupid and meaningless

allows *

Certainly not as educational as reading a book, but stupid and meaningless? Why?

It's a distraction, it achieves what it's meant to do which is to keep you entertained for a certain amount of time.

>reading
>2016
>falling for the school system meme

eh it's better than watching tv. boomers like to harp on saying how video games make you stupid meanwhile they sit 3 hours a day watching tv. video games can be good at improving cognitive function , reaction or logic ( strategy games) . Gaming more than 3 hours a day is pretty degenerate though, it's fine in moderation.

Yeah, pretty much my views on it.

>tfw you can only do one thing as a hobby for the rest of your life
What the fuck is going on over in france?

Normie games are degenerate commercialized shit that are just as bad as TV. Finely crafted western games like Thief, Wizardry, Ultima Underworld, Victoria 2, etc. are fine.

I get what you mean. Got to admit some of them are fun though, Battlefield 1 has been enjoyable enough.

people who plays video games doesn't belong here on Sup Forums

I work long hours and am productive

but anyway, video games are good for brain function

When you make an absolutely decent post

>when at home with nothing else to do
there's always something productive you could be doing

France: surrendering itself to the magic of reading.

Damn these quads, man.

gaming will destroy you. I play Pillars of Eternity and next thing I know I was neck deep in a paki's bum hole

>Battlefield 1
Games like that are heavily focus tested so they hit the right buttons. They don't really engage you. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but there's way better stuff out there.

Hell, I had a blast yesterday playing against some Russians in Doom 2 through the ZDaemon client, basically chasing each other around the map instantly mowing down swarms of high ping third worlder south american monkeys in our wake. I don't think there's any modern shooter that can deliver that level of enjoyment.

Just don't forget the old stuff, that's all I'm saying.

I enjoy gaming, i like multiplayer games though,

I really dont get people who liked single player story games, especially when they get some bond towards the characters.

So many cringe moments when people say how they cried after The Last of Us, or any other game,

Getting emotional in a movie is a bit more logical since they are real people, humans just like you, and you can be in that position.

Ok. But why? Not quite seeing how gaming conflicts with an individual's political views.

Sure there is, but do you -always- need to be productive? I work full-time, can't complain about social life either. What's the harm in sitting your ass down once in a while?

Playing couple of hours for entertainment purposes is alright, escaping from real world issues/discomfort is not.

I wasted past 10 years playing games, dropped out of uni 3 times, killed social life.

>I wasted past 10 years playing games, dropped out of uni 3 times, killed social life.
You sound like a MMOfag. That shit isn't real video games. Might as well compare a slot machine to poker.

i hate people like that, if you do X then you are put into a category.

Like if you believe in some conspiacy theories then people judge you as oh so your the type that protests outside bilderberg events, and believes Lizards control the government, yeah i dont associate with those people and you can't join my very special group.

that guy is like oh you game?, yeah your type shouldnt be in Sup Forums cause we have a higher sense of being and are far more intellectual than people who play games.

asshole.

gaming is the pinnacle of culture.

I have had 9 different room mates. 5 of them were gamers. All of the gamers were filthy, lazy and anti-social. Only 1 of the other 4 was nearly as bad as the gamers.

I know it's anecdotal evidence but fuck gsmers

For those who spend over 3 hours playing video games a day; do you do this because you genuinely like games, or because you're trying to fill some void in your life?

It's fine. Stop being autistic, Sup Forums. You are engaging in systems and puzzles and trying to find the optimal way to solve them. Much more engaging than movies.

I played just cs 1.6 & go, also lol, havnt touched anything else besides casual cs 1.5

This. I much rather occupy myself for an hour or two by actively interacting with something like vidya than watch movies etc where you're just passively staring at a screen.

>valveshit
Well, there's your problem. Glad you found something better to do with your life, though.

movies and t.v.
>look at the pretty colors
vidya
>stimulate your mind
cmon anons I know that Call of Duty shit is mind numbing degeneracy but alot of games are good. They helped me learn think critically from since I was maybe 13.

right wing political participation > non-fiction books > games > movies > tv

Yeah, there's a big difference between those who openly identify themselves as 'gamers' and make it part of their persona, and folks who simply distract themselves with it from time to time.

Sounds like you just had bad luck.

Playing games is degenerate. Gas the gamers.

Many RPGs have books worth of reading in them. Also many strategy games get you thinking.

I study software engineering at uni and all the engineers despise the IT students. 9/10 are smug dishits who want to be game designers

I loved DDR and ITG, was my workout for years.

I mainly play Rocksmith now.

I can autistically fill out a world map thanks to grand strategy games. Not sure if I'll ever use this skill, but now I have it. There are very few games that have high quality writing, though. Mostly Infocom games because actual writers worked on them.

>Games like that are heavily focus tested so they hit the right buttons. They don't really engage you. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but there's way better stuff out there.

Half-Life 2 and Portal series got rid of a bunch of puzzles because play testers found them too hard.

In the same amount of time I played video games, I could be a master pianist.

Everything in moderation. Although """"reading"""" no one reads books for pleasure anymore, you can only see Zombies looking down on their phones, READING facebook dumbfuckery.

>game designers
The problem with these stupid snowflakes is they don't want nothin bad enough. I wanted to be a game designer growing up more than anything but back in the mid 90's finding a degree or program for that was damn near impossible. So I did the only rational thing, I self taught myself how to program and code using my shitty 56k dial up as it was intended

Slowed down on playing vidya. Went from everyday to only weekends.

Been working on my programming and electrical skills...

Feels good man

>why is being a man-child wrong?
it's like you're blue pilled or something

shit game list nigger

It is bad, it helps in the development of autism

I might marathon a game on weekends being a shut-in but it doesn't even compare to the time I've wasted on this site for the last 8 years

Playing bideo games too much will make you into a tranny. Many such cases.

>mudslime hates white man vidya
Why am I not surprised?

Probably not, no.

You could be good at playing piano, but it is unlikely that you'd be able to write music or do anything more in the field without proper education.

Since you probably wouldn't reach a point beyond mechanical mastery of the piano, it just becomes another hobby.

You must be a god at CS at this point

>not having a right wing library and being a right wing intellectual get a nice job and trying to red pill normies into starting a new social revolution that will actually save western civilization
>willfully being a loudmouthed (((alt-right))) sperglord that is doing more damage to any hope of change than a literal leftist
Just kys.

Video games aren't bad. Like any other hobby/activity, it should be done in moderation. When that is all you do, you need to reevaluate your life.

Nigga why would i read a book, anybody can put something in a book, that dont mean its true

Perhaps, but certainly a more impressive (and attractive) hobby.

Gaming died around 2005. Primarily because of null innovations in NPC and enemy AI. Beyond that, capitalism flooded in and started banking on call of duty models

No, in moderation and with a healthy understanding of the difference between fantasy and reality. Like fucking anything.

People who blame vidya are actual cucks. You have a NEET who's worthless and sits playing games all day. You really think if you took the games away, or that even if they were never there, they'd stop being a gross NEET? They don't and won't, escapism comes in many flavors and vidya is what people choose salt from.

>I game casually

Game is not a verb

How so?

It gets you some cool points with bitches but that's about it. There's not much decent conversation to be had about piano itself.

Coming from a guy who learned to play guitar passably, all it did was break the ice.

its only bad if you choose to game instead of taking care of your priorities

>I can autistically fill out a world map thanks to grand strategy games. Not sure if I'll ever use this skill, but now I have it

Just wait until you encounter a TV host or someone from YouTube trying to show Americans are uneducated.

Killing floor 3 helps me relax

youtu.be/mFCOUrVXAVU

Play some real games like CS, MGS or C&C Generals faggot

it literally gave me an amaizing intelligence and quality memory.
i literally have alredy solved my life, there are no more challenges for me.
video games saved me, they made me a mastermind.
Top kek you petty normie scum will never know the true power of intelectually challenging video games.
at the age of 6 i was playing age of empires in max difficulty

Here's the question though: do you like playing piano, or do you like video games?
Would you play piano simply because it's seen as "more attractive?"
Why? You get very little free time in today's world. Or fuck at least I don't. I'm not going to spend it catering to someone who tells me my hobbies aren't attractive and then stuffs their nose in Facebook for 3 hours. It's possible to genuinely love video games and lead a healthy life.

2 killing floor 2*

Synthesia is a pretty good way to learn to play songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=zVEaQZo-__M

I did learn that by sheet music though.

Rocksmith as well, but they have tons of mini-games to learn chords, scales, and got coordinated with the fretboard. And Score Attack is basically Guitar Hero.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2Tm5LU_fE

>tfw you get rekt by bots in Warcraft 3

silence boy, my secrets not yours

Jesus, all of you are retarded.

Type 'video game cognitive benefits' into jewgle and you will receive your answer (it isn't elementary either, many peer reviewed articles -check the APA articles).

Just play something challenging. Don't play mushy RPGs.

>CS
CS sucks. I'd rather play Quake, Doom 2, UT, etc.
>MGS
Only the first 2 were good and even those are overrated gookshit.
>C&C Generals
There are a ton of way better RTS games. Only ever really got into w3 and AoE 2, though.

Dark Souls came out in 2011. I would agree that the golden age of games is long over but there is nothing about any time period stopping intelligent designers from making good games, which do still get made even if more sparsely. Also some of the greatest games were made in times when AI was near nonexistant so I don't think the curve of great games correlates with the progress of AI but a combination of it and level design. Strong level design built around the attack patterns of enemy npcs> technically impressive AI put in a mechanically hollow game.

Yes, I am sure shitty auto aim shooters will give you sweet reflexes in the upcoming race war.

You do know DooM caused Columbine, right?

America's Army made people join the military.

everything i dont like is degenerate

>You do know DooM caused Columbine
This is the most blue pilled thing I have ever read here.

>America's Army made people join the military.

That's the only reason I enlisted

it america it is USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

of course, it makes people more ferocious for the upcoming world war

Gaming is typically focused on entertainment, and should be regarded as such. Any excessive use of entertainment is bad so like anything else in life, it's good in moderation.

If you think a life with literally zero entertainment is OK, then I'd argue that's a really shitty life.

i mean if we talk reality, it makes people get used to killing other people, this is useful becouse after killing a man people have less psycological scars

Which of your games might I have played?

I remember some educational games growing up. Either they're rare now or non-existent.

Math Blaster and Word Blaster were a few.

>posting on Sup Forums

You're on Sup Forums Chile, thats already fucking autistic.

What about puzzle games, games that have riddles to solve, or math games?

Too much entertainment is a bad thing. That's why I sometimes sit and do nothing but brood.

>killed social life
I bet it was a single shot, perfectly placed between the eyes, right?

I'll play something like Street Fighter for an hour every other day but that's about it.

Frankly I'm sick of the "gamer" crowd. Bunch of stunted man babies.

sure is newfag in here

Stop entertaining yourself by brooding. If you are going to stop, then sleep. That's the only way to make sure your not being entertained.