So, how do we fix West Virginia?

So, how do we fix West Virginia?

Trump talks up bringing back coal, but the free market dictates that natural gas will out-compete it at every turn. Hell, even some of the renewable energy sources are starting to get more economical. And as for bringing back jobs, I can imagine his policies slowing down the rate of job-loss from offshoring, but I can't imagine it reversing the rate so hard that West Virginia's economy actually rebounds from it.

So, do we transform West Virginia's economy into some kind of finance-industry-focused place with low taxes and favourable laws? Increase government jobs? Infrastructure spending? Regear the state into an agricultural economy that grows foods and manufactures foodstuffs?

Put sterilizing chemicals in their water supply, then turn the entire state into a national park.

You ever talk about my state again and I'll personally lynch you myself.

Would make a good re-education camp for east coast liberals.

West Virginia's shit.

Come at me m8

OH YOU DONE DID IT NOW. HEHEHE

Fcuker. Truth is, we're just a simple country folk. Please leave us alone.

Mate, I have no problem with West Virginia. I understand the struggles of coal country better than most coastal liberals; hell, my own town's factories rust away as more and more manufacturing jobs go elsewhere and as the overseas demand for natural resources that we can supply goes down.

The only reason I needled you in is because you over-reacted to a simple, neutrally-phrased question in my OP. That is - how does one fix West Virginia - more specifically, how does one address its ailing economy and declining living standards in a day and age where coal is no longer king?

>want to improve your state
>go back to coal
Pick one. WV should be focused on future energy, not outdated methods

Maybe it doesn't need to be fixed? Maybe people need to wake up and smell the coffee. Coal can only go so far. By implying we need coal to survive could perhaps be creating a problem.

well is that all?

You have nothing more to say after you graciously spoke of my state and my people?

I'd like to live in WV. Looks comfy and redpilled

You're welcome here brother.

>So, how do we fix West Virginia?
Give it back to Virginia, thus making sure the reformed state of Virginia stays red for now on, and in its place create the State of Jefferson, thus yet again securing even more red votes, as well as keeping the 50 stars on the flag.

There, West Virginia fixed, America fixed.

Have your government rent out West Virginia to other nations for a while so each country can have the cowboy experience

kys you fat fuck. Your state is garbage tier.

If you know what's good for you, you'll leave my state alone..

Coal mining will never employ people like it used to. That ship sailed a long time ago thanks to increased mechanization in the industry. The federal government could throw some money towards West Virginia in a few ways, but it's going to be hard to make a significant jobs impact. More grants going to WVU and Marshall wouldn't hurt as universities are good hubs for startup companies. NEA money could be used to try propping up the cultural tourism industry. Maybe local producers could try jumping on the moonshine/bourbon fad and manufacture more whiskey or try starting white wine vineyards. If Trump really wanted to "drain the swamp" he could try relocating federal agencies and put a department or two in West Virginia (the CDC is doing fine in Atlanta, so maybe the Department of the Interior could be moved to West Virginia). Each of those ideas could create some jobs, but none are silver bullets.

The reality is that West Virginia doesn't have the geography to be a major site for farming or trade. There aren't any major cities, so it's at a disadvantage for trying to create a knowledge economy with lots of financial or other white collar jobs. West Virginia could try becoming a warehousing distribution center or getting more manufacturing jobs, but every state is fighting for those. The reality is that it's very difficult to save a specific location and, in the long run, the West Virginians might be better off moving to more dynamic places nearby like Louisville or Pittsburgh.

I second this as true.

Aww, did the city boy come to WV and get called out for being a faggot?

Hello again

Still no damn jobs here.

The reason coal is so popular is because its the only thing that seems to pay.
It gives people a somewhat decent life, pays well.