Is the universe infinite, or does it have borders?

Is the universe infinite, or does it have borders?

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2016-10-universe-rateor.html
phys.org/news/2016-10-expansion-universe.html
suspicious0bservers.org/
youtube.com/user/ThunderboltsProject
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have border for the current 'world' we live in. But the universe in all is infinite.

we just don't know

It's not infinite, but it's currently expanding. Who knows if it will ever stop or eventually rebound

What is it expanding into?

Its not infiinite in 4D space, but in 3D it looks like it is, but you would have to use some really advanced FTL tech to find that out, since its also expanding rapidly.

It's actually accelerating in its expansion. Which makes the "big crunch followed by big bang cycle" theory obsolete. Which means the universe has a beginning. Which requires outside intervention from a source not subject to the laws of physics. Which means there's a God.

Experto scienticians have determined that the universe has a knowable size, if you work forward from the pre-expansion singularity and figure out how much it has swollen. The figure is Googleable but variable

They're probably wrong, though, and it's equally likely that the "singularity" before the Big Bounce was just one tiny subunit of a different universe that underwent the same expansion everywhere simultaneously at every point of space

Everything anybody can tell you on this matter is completely hypothetical. Basically the more apparent authority somebody answers this question with the bigger the insecure faggot with a crippling inferiority complex they likely are.

HTH.

The universe expands into more universe. If the universe is truly infinite, it was always infinite even before the big band, now just is much less dense. Shit's crazy.

1st cause that didn't need a cause broken logic pls go

No shit it has borders. And it's high time we built a glorious wall on that border to keep illegal aliens out. Make the universe great again!

The universe does not exist as a spacial area.

It is purely ideas.

I think you are using "The universe is expanding" in the wrong context. The universe doesn't have simple borders where inside is the universe and outside the border is "not the universe," with those borders constantly getting pushed out and expanding. What is happening is that the superstructures of the universe, and the galaxies that make them up, are drifting away from each other at an accelerating pace. At some point in the future, matter will be too spread apart for anything meaningful to happen.

Since this is Sup Forums and not /sci/, the Jews probably have something to do with the eventual heat death of the universe.

It has a great wall, you believe me, a great yuuge wall.

Cosmic inflation was recently debunked. The expansion of the universe is not speeding up.

Dark matter fags KYS.

>Which requires outside intervention from a source not subject to the laws of physics. Which means there's a God.

No it just means the universe is the result of an outside source not subject to the laws of physics. Unless you're ready to call quantum fluctuations god.

universe = finite ( because matter is finite, universe is everything between the big ban till now)
space = infinite

Into itself essentially but outward. Outside of the universe there is nothing, it's just the energy of the universe itself pushes outward into entropy. It expands it's border against itself. You could imagine the outside of the universe as a void I suppose, but absolutely nothing is there

>The universe doesn't have simple borders where inside is the universe and outside the border is "not the universe," with those borders constantly getting pushed out and expanding.

how can you be so smug about Sup Forums and yet be so fucking wrong?

spacetime itself is inflating, "borders constantly getting pushed out and expanding" is literally what is allegedly happening

Infinitely expanding borders.

phys.org/news/2016-10-universe-rateor.html

WRONG
FUCKING WRONG
COSMIC INFLATION IS FUCKING WRONG

Nothing in the material world is or can be infinite.

It has a border that is expending faster than the speed of light, and will continue to expand until it puts the forces that sprung its creation to the test. After such a time, the universe will rip apart and fade out into the cold, or bend back in on itself.

see
>They just parrot back what some (((TV Scientist))) tells them without keeping up with new research.

Hahahahaha faggot
>'Relax, the expansion of the universe is still accelerating'
phys.org/news/2016-10-expansion-universe.html

>things that accelerate can never stop accelerating and then reverse

>They just parrot back what some (((TV Scientist))) tells them without keeping up with new research.

nothingness

Your mom

No one said it properly so far. A bunch of retards ffs

The universe is unfinite in je sense that we can never reach its border. Its expansion is accelerating with the speed of light near the borders wgich we can never reach hence we xan never reaxh the border no matter how long we travel... it will forever expand faster than we travel.

I hope that as clear enough. Some of you are dumb as fuck and I wonder how you survive daily.

Woah

I don't understand, but I'm pretty sure magical space-man did it.

It's not expanding into anything. The universe is everything, and you can't physically leave it.

In fact, you could travel in a straight line from the Earth to attempt to reach the "edge" of the universe.
You would eventually return to Earth without ever turning around. Of course the solar system would be long gone by the time you returned.

its mine so you can goddamn bet it has fucking borders

>That study only comes up with a 99.8% certain result. Which in physics is called garbage unless you can address contradictory findings.

so if you stand at the border, what are you looking at?
infinite nothing? infinite nothing is still infinite

Well, Mexico is in the universe, so...

>Is the universe infinite, or does it have borders?

Nobody knows

Pretty sure there are no sources of light out there.
Wouldn't see anything

Doesn't the most evidence right now point to the universe being flat though?

Can you travel from a point in a flat universe and end up back where you started? That sounds like sphere behavior to me, or some other closed shape.

it wraps around; technically every point in the universe is its center

Actually it says
>The supernova data alone could, at only a slight stretch, be consistent with a universe that neither accelerates nor decelerates. This has been known since the original discovery, and is not under dispute.

basically you got suckered by literal fake news based on one fringe paper that doesn't even show anything new

See

It's not like there's a border where on one side is stars and the other there's nothing. The further you get from the center the less dense the universe is with matter and light. Toward the further parts of the universe there would be almost no light, it would look like a black void

The universe is infinite proven by 3 astronomical landmarks fairly recently in terms of science (probably not even in textbooks yet).

All galaxies and our local cluster of galaxies are expanding out at an accelerating rate proving an influx of energy on a scale bigger than the big bang still continues, so this counteracts the heat death of the universe as whole since matter would still be created outside our visible universe.

We are expanding into the infinite.

Studying/teaching cosmology here. Make sure if you ever want to do astronomy, do it while you still have your best vision! I honestly wish I started when I was 15, bad eye sight really degrades quickly after 25.

Finite but unbounded.

i can look at you but not see you

People like to think of the universe as being on the inside of a sphere. But in reality, the space we live in behaves much more as if it were only on the surface of the sphere.

It's infinite because, at the very least, eternity never ends.

Yes.

anyone that responds with anything other than ''i dont know'' is a completely delusional moron

We live in a simulation and (((they))) are going to shut it down before Trump is inaugurated.

what? think trump will build the galactic wall so that the green-headed men will not turn our frogs gay?

'eventually'
ya, after an INFINITE amount of time maybe
INfinite = without end , doesn't mean "has stuff in it"

>Is the universe infinite, or does it have borders?
It can be (and probably is) both.

It's a 4 dimensional sphere that's not perfectly round and lumpy in some places, and hasn't had a consistent speed of light throughout its existence.
You can travel in three dimensions throughout it, but you can still end up in the same place if you go far enough.

Or it's infinite and if you go far enough you will find nothing but blackness, but you can never quite reach that point because the cosmic entities are moving so quickly that nothing from our point in the universe will ever reach the point where all is blackness to prove such a thing is there.

and you know this how exactly? have you ever seen the edge of the universe? why do you spew bullshit and try to pass it off as fact? you dont know what its like, nobody does. this whole thread is an exercise in futility

it's undefined. we don't know what's outside spacetime
big bang implies creation but not like what many people here believe.
i think the universe is some sort of simulation that intelligence being outside run and human is just a byproduct of this creation.
considering the arrow of time only exists on a macroscopic level I'd say in the outside universe time can actually travel backward but they make it 1 way inside this universe to conduct some experiment.
these beings doesn't know about us, be ready to but shutdown and disappear without knowing why soon anons.

The universe can be envisioned as a 4-d clifford's torus, immense in size that is constantly folding within itself. We can on perceive in 3d, but true existence is 4d. It is infinite due to its nature, but a paradox due to ot having borders and no borders at the same time. You can never reach an edge.

I love when women show vulva in public.

Sorry, queer, aliens have never contacted Earth in any form. Deal with it.

actually it's an exercise in semantics

We don't know. It may even be possible that it is expanding at the speed of light infinitely and that even if you tried to fly to the edge you would never reach it due to expansion. Others think that the Universe is 2d information on the outside of the universe projected inwards making it 3d. Similar to a theory about black holes storing information on the outside.
Or there is a theory that the universe will contract and time will go backwards. Who really knows?

so what's their universe like?

Everything's an excercise in futility except for eating and fucking then retard. We discuss things to understand them. My statement is based on theories about the universe, obviously I haven't seen it myself.

not mutually exclusive

we are inside a black hole

>No it just means the universe is the result of an outside source not subject to the laws of physics.
Yes, that's the definition of 'God'.

>Unless you're ready to call quantum fluctuations god.
This particular interpretation of God is called 'pantheism', it is the default assumption of Hinduism and Buddhism. It's a valid interpretation but doesn't match how humans empirically observe the world.

>We discuss things to understand them
how are you going to understand something you know nothing about just by speculating about it? youre the retard here

>based on theories about the universe
>obviously I haven't seen it myself
and nobody has. so all those theories are 100% bullshit.

>Not knowing the universe is flat in 2016

hey i should know
i have a Phd in Futility from the school of hard knocks

how does it feel outside? we can never know user.
string theory suggests a 11-dimensional universe in reality.
i'd say our universe is still part of the outer universe but having 3 space dimension kept the same while is time 1-way and the other 7 artificially removed by constraining the movement of the particles in these dimension.

>This particular interpretation of God is called 'pantheism', it is the default assumption of Hinduism and Buddhism. It's a valid interpretation but doesn't match how humans empirically observe the world.

Tell Asians that their mystically wise architect gods are random nonsapient blips of energy and they'll spit in your face. Also,
>dogmatic religions
>matching how humans empirically observe the world

We'll the infinite part about the universe is that to us it might as well be infinite. It's not possible for it to go from a singularity to infinity, there has to be an in-between.
But it's expanding so quickly that we'll never reach the end without traveling an infinite distance. Since there's nothing to go to, we can assume the curvature of space will return us to the point of origin once we can overcome an infinite distance. Because you cannot leave reality. You can't go beyond the universe, because that would mean leaving existence itself. Non existence is not a place, it can't be seen, it's not blackness it's not even a vaccume it's just not there. It doesn't exist.

>dark matter
>causing inflation and expansion of the universe
Kill yourself my man.

To have something beyond the universe is a paradox, the universe is everything.

>how are you going to understand something you know about just by speculating about it?
>so all theories are 100% bullshit
Holy fuck how can someone be this retarded?

Scientist don't just gather in a room and say "I think the universe is made of matter" and then write it done as fact. They run experiments, take measurements, test their idea over and over and over again till others can back up their idea the same. If the model is wrong it's changed. in the past 5 years we've recently proven the ideas of a Higg's field actually existing, even though it was accepted as only a theory 50 years ago. Theories aren't always write, but not doing anything to try and explain the universe is beyond ignorant

This post highlights the issues with being a fucking leaf

who says there was ever a singularity
"In the beginning there was nothing, then it exploded"
this is creationism disguised as science
red/blueshift has been incorrectly identified as movement, it is not, it is more likely overall positive/negative charge difference that causes this
check out the electric universe theory and see what you think
suspicious0bservers.org/

Heaven

All I know is we need a god damn wall at the border of the universe to keep the fucking illegals out!
#MUGA

NO TRISTAN IT'S TOO MUCH

youtube.com/user/ThunderboltsProject
meant to post this link actually

Time and Space are infinite and proportional. Matter is not.

This is not Creationism, it's an explanation as to why the universe began its expansion. We could have formed from a singularity of another universe's collapse, maybe time isn't always a concept we can grasp at an origin. There has to be a start, which can also be the end.

What we know is that something went BANG 13.7 Billion years ago and threw a bunch of stardust everywhere. It is very much possible for something to come out of nothing.

It's constantly expanding. It is finite.

that's my point
we don't know that
who says there has to be a start
humans have a start and end
the universe doesn't
it's prob imposs for a human mind to grasp the infinite

singularity= nothing
universe= everything
you can make everything from nothing, that kinda violates the first law of physics
the supposed proof of expansion is the red/blue shift which has been debunked

how did the previous universe start?

What are these borders could be like? Imagine a rocket flying into it, what would happen? It's infinite, yes.

The part that has shit in it is finite but expanding.

When physicists talk about it being infinite, they are talking about its topology and geometry. There is only a finite number of stars, so there is only a finite volume of shit.

More interesting question is what is the universe expanding into?

singularity does not implies nothingness, it's just implies we don't know what it is.
same way people calling dark matter, dark energy stuff. when people encounter something they don't know, they give it a fancy name and pretend to forget about it.

what's wrong with Borderlands 2?

>Scientists can't figure out how the weather works or how plants make even a tiny fraction of the shit they make
>Only just learned about Quantum mechanics within the lifetime of some older people
>Redditors think we know dick about cosmology

Its cute.

A singularity is everything within a point that has no space, yet infinite density. Isn't it? All the matter in the universe on a point of absolute zero.

you're wrong. the net energy and volume is finite. but because we have both matter and antimatter the amount of particles can be infinite on both end and still add up to a finite number.

'dark matter' was invented to balance the results of a flawed theory
supposedly 80% of the universe is dark matter that we can't see hear taste touch or smell, how do they know it's not a giant 6-headed purple dragon- same evidence