To Kill a Mockingbird banned for being Racist

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP!!
wpxi.com/news/trending-now/virginia-schools-ban-to-kill-a-mockingbird-huckleberry-finn-for-racial-slurs/472065098

>The decision to remove "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee came after a parent filed a complaint, WAVY reported. The parent cited excessive racial slurs as the reason for wanting the books banned, Superintendent Warren Holland told the news station.

>The parent, whose son is biracial, said that her concerns are "not even just a black and white thing."

>"I keep hearing, 'This is a classic, This is a classic,' ... I understand this is a literature classic. But at some point, I feel that children will not -- or do not -- truly get the classic part -- the literature part, which I'm not disputing," she said at a Nov. 15 school board meeting. "This is great literature. But there (are so many) racial slurs in there and offensive wording that you can't get past that."

>The parent said her son, who was reading "Huckleberry Finn" for a high school assignment, couldn't get past a certain page in that story on which the N-word appeared seven times.

>A racial slur appears 219 times in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and 48 times in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

>"So what are we teaching our children? We're validating that these words are acceptable, and they are not acceptable by (any) means," the parent said, also noting psychological effects language has on children. "There is other literature they can use."

Other urls found in this thread:

bannedbooksweek.org/about
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's retarded

This shit happens like once a year, I think it's just a psyop to get people fired about learnin and shit

>the book where a white man goes against orthodoxy to defend a black man in court is banned despite of the potential positive message because "muh scary wurds"

>LITERAL book banning in this year of our lord two thousand and six-teen in the United States of America

holy moley

>I think it's just a psyop to get people fired about learnin and shit

what?

Don't forget, the book promotes rape culture by implying that men accused of rape aren't automatically guilty.

Wankers. Reminder the National Coalition Against Censorship and American Library Association are doing God's work.

REEEE FREE SPEECH REEEE

it's even worse because those two are among some of the most important American books. LEAVE NIGGER JIM ALONE TWAIN WAS A GODDAMN BLESSING

It has been like that for a long time.

bannedbooksweek.org/about

He probably meant "fired up" or energized.

>Banning liberal propaganda
>Bad
What the fuck happened to you Sup Forums?

To be fair, my friends in Russia said they call blacks "nigger" because it says that in Huckleberry Finn and they just assumed that's what they're called.

its been banned for decades, from schools and libraries
but not everywhere

Well that makes it even more surprising doesn't it? Liberals banning liberal propaganda? what?

Free speech applies to everything, even things/people you don't like.

>Left wing = liberal
No
>Being opposed to racism is inherently left-wing
This is the same shit as SJW's calling everybody right wing because they're basically communists and everything is to the left of them, except that to be honest racism isn't a fucking partisan issue, and the people who say it is are almost always leftists.

>Banning
The SJWs have been proving for the past several years that banning shit doesn't make it go away, it makes people want to look at it.

Anti censorship has been a long time thing on the chans. It predates socially conservative RP by many years.

I agree with the mother. These books are nothing but racist trash. We should pile them and burn them!

Some americans are now going to grow up without reading that disgusting commie jew filth.

2016 best year ever.

so every year you pretend its banned so edgy kids will want to read it?

i dunno, they are banning their own books, its funny, they are going full circle

disgusting race traitor

I'd very much prefer if racially diverse schoolchildren could encounter "nigger" in a historic literary context and not said to them, then explain the word's significance in america, but meh, bombs not schools

No everyone will have a cry about banning the books and people will care about learning for a little while

>"What's a slave?"
>"Nothin' nigger boy! Now pick that cotton or I get the whip!"

The entire reason why is they cannot allow kids to see what real racism looks like. The ending of "To Kill a Mockingbird" is that a jury takes 3 hours to deliberate before they send an innocent black man to his death. The significance and importance was that it was baby steps in the right direction of fighting racism, because prior to that point it wouldn't have taken 3 hours, they would have just unanimously voted and sent an innocent black man to his death/lynched him and then gone on their way.
The character Tom Robinson was actually innocent--he really didn't do any crime in that book. But the jury didn't just throw him out to die...it took some time, they actually argued about it. Some of them had to be convinced to send an innocent man to his death, and they weren't happy about it even though they eventually complied.
Kids looking at that, and then trying to pay attention to microaggressions are just gonna smirk and go on their way.

EWith every day that passes more and more evidence piles up showing that egalitarian multiculturalism just doesn't work.

Adversarial cultures cannot coexist as equals, there must always be an inferior and a superior. If one culture gives space to another, that other culture will demand more and more until it eclipses the former dominant culture.

10/10

>liberals are now banning the works that tried to humanize blacks because they're offensive

What a time to be alive. I'm pretty suprised american high schools still teach huck finn though.

Well constructed mane.

If you ban books, people will try to read them

>Banning classics
Fuck off you illiterate hick

It's not being banned for being liberal, it's being banned for not being liberal enough. Which should terrify you beyond rational thought, because it's never going to stop and if we don't start pushing back hard NOW, in a generation or so the liberal propaganda of today will be banned as well for not being liberal enough and the terminator line of degeneracy inexorably sweeps forward wiping us from the pages of history itself.

Well constructed.

Everyone should get fair trial, lest justice be subjective to position.

This.

Ehhh, I'm twenty and we read this when I was in school

this

>"So what are we teaching our children? We're validating that these words are acceptable
This is a big logical leap, right?

The bigger point, which is elaborated on in Go Set A Watchmen, is that as far as Atticus Finch is concerned, it's not about civil rights or fighting racism or anything like that.

Atticus Finch puts his career, his reputation, and even his very life on line to defend Tom Robinson. And it isn't because he's concerned about "striking a blow against racism" or because he's friend with Tom, or even because he thinks Tom could be innocent.

The ONLY thing that matters to him is The Law, and The Law says that Tom Robinson is guaranteed the right to an attorney who will fiercely defend his interests in court to the best of their ability.

Atticus firmly believes, to his core, in the principle of equality before The Law.

Both of these books (especially TKAM) show white people treating black people as equals. They use words that people don't like, but they're words that are still used all the time today.

Maybe they're banning TKAM because a white guy is trying to save a black guy? It destroys the narrative that all whites are awful racists that want to lynch everyone that has an accent or darker skin than they do.

A better lawyer would have fought for a plea bargain where he didn't get executed. Makes for a less entertaining book, but lawyers are obligated to get the best outcome for their client. Seems to me that Atticus was fighting a fight that he knew that he would lose just because he liked to hear himself talk.

Ahh, see, this is the beauty of a literary masterpiece like it, and why it should be taught in school. By examining the same piece of literature via the lens of different ideas we can arrive at new interpretations and discuss it. By keeping it in the classroom, it can remain culturally important to all of us and later on down the line we can find common ground to take on new extrapolations from the same piece of literature that was constructed over a century ago.

>Children shouldn't be taught difficult life or moral lessons at school.
>Schools need to shelter children from reality.
Good job, America.

kek

Prosecution can refuse a plea bargain.

Of course the prosecutor has to be willing, but generally they would prefer an easy conviction. In the book the community is pretty outraged and wants blood, so maybe the prosecutor would have wanted a trial. However, after the defense had put on their case, I would think that the prosecutors would have desperately wanted a plea bargain. the heat they would take from giving Tom Robinson life in prison would have been much less than the heat they would have taken from a not guilty verdict, and Robinson was clearly innocent.

i just came here to say nigger.

The America Education System is worse than The Congo's

Both were satire written by leftists.

Can't have that.

Do Ausrtalian kids read a lot of books about kids floating down the river with aboriginees? Or little Sheilas and their dads fighting for minority rights?

Wait, so a book about a man defending a falsely accused black man is racist now? Fucking christ. What's next, are we going to ban any videos about the Civil Rights Movement because they involve white people shouting "nigger"?

>whose son is biracial

It's always the mulattos or their parents. Why is this? Are they overcompensating?

Throughout my schooling, just about the only history they wanted to teach us was Gallipoli. Over and over.

sjws will become book burners

this is why they will soon shift from banning things to destroying things

>mostly involves young Aussies being slaughtered by Muslims

Were they subtly trying to warn you about Indonesian immigration?

You really can't make this shit up. How has America fallen so far so quickly?

I'm fine with that piece of shit being eliminated. And I'd rather them ban Twain than subversively alter his words. It sets up their insanity more clearly, for the world to see.

That IS what they're called, you idiot.

They even call themselves niggers. (And don't even try to sell me that "nigga" shit.)

Old knowledge is best knowledge.

but they wanted no heat and were willing to kill an innocent man

thats the whole point, he is fighting the corruption

Who the fuck in Russia is reading Huckleberry Finn?

Also, do you know what your friends in Russia thought of the BBC War and Peace movie. I'm a Tolstoy fan, and I thought they turned Bezukhov into a pussy. Yes, he was literally a cuck, but my understanding of the book was that he was a badass that happened to marry a whore.

Go to the hood (like Compton) and say that. I guarantee a negative reaction. Hell, a lot of my older family members even hate that word

To Kill a Mockingbird is cucked trash for old white ladies who fantasize about "gentle giants".

>burgerville

Took a lit class while at home for the summer with a professor who rewrote Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer to not use nigger. Said he got more shit for doing that than if he had walked around in Tuskegee shouting nigger.

Like flag burning?

>literally trying to baleet books because there's words that are offensive in them

And they consider themselves intellectuals?

>banning a film an anti-racist film for being racist

IS THIS THE REAL LIFE?

>someone makes a movie portraying the evils of racism
>ban it for being racist
Has leftism ever been as retarded as it is right now?

Yes. That's why in the recent threads about flag burning most of us agree that it should be legal as long as it isn't harming others.

This is a free-speech board, cuck.

The more publicity leftist retardation gets, the better.

what a kook

Yep. He almost makes it but he knows the entire book that it's a fools errand. It's for the greater social good, but it's bad lawyering

>RACISM IS ENDEMIC TO THIS SOCIETY AND WE WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT!
>Should we stop saying nigger or devalue the word? Should we be colorblind?
>NO WE NEED TO MAKE RACE A CONSTANT THING AND ALWAYS TALK ABOUT IT AND FIGHT IT THAT'S HOW WE STOP IT
>Okay. Can we make works about it? Can we try and show why it's so bad, how hateful and deep it is, how we can help and convince people you're people too?
>NO IT SAID NIGGER TOO MANY TIMES WHAT THE FUCK WHITEY IT'S RACIST

Fuck niggers.

Well, it's liberal propaganda, and I'm not going to pretend that I will defend free speech for my political enemies. So ...

Good.

Found the "nigga"

Also a very sexist and problematic victim blaming rape apologist book.

>>A racial slur appears 219 times in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and 48 times in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Which ironically is about the range of how many times the word "nigger" is used in the average Lil Wayne song.

>muh nigger jim
>muh Atticus
>Classics

Mockingbird has the same moral lesson that you could get out of a fucking Harry Potter book.

i feel like they ban Huckleberry Finn every other year
like holy shit, do people need to be reminded the point of Nigger Jim every second?

That's it, I'm going to bed. I can't take it anymore.

>Who the fuck in Russia is reading Huckleberry Finn?
I know this is a foreign concept to Americans, but in other countries, people actually read books. From all over the world. In different languages. Kids do it too. It's even promoted by the educational system!

Them Virginia school district niggers done lost their minds.

>A racial slur appears 219 times in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
It's been maybe 15 years since I read that. What slur they're talking about, just an innocent 'negro'?

>when you ban marxist propaganda for being too racist

Hmm, I wonder who could be behind this?

>Who the fuck in Russia is reading Huckleberry Finn?
It was one of the most popular children book in at least in late USSR

>innocent 'negro'

I fucking hate.....

>dude lets jail those without a fair trial because i don't like them lmao

how's high school edgster, you probably hate the book because you don't understand it so far

I don't think he did anything wrong. He was a positive fella

Shh. No more tears. Only Trump now.

>Sweden

how does it feel to be the worlds biggest cuck's.are the arabs still raping your feminist whores over there

What? We read it in middle school for English class the late 2000s. How long has it been banned?

I don't think Voltaire ever said that.

check'd

so you're retarded?
good to know

>like compton

>filled with more spics then niggers

stupid nigger fuck,california is like a miniature version of a 3rd world country.nobody cares about that shit hole

>banning TKAM because it has racial slurs

Good job completely missing the point of the book.