Automation killing jobs!!!

So Sup Forums, obviously automation and technology are killing our jobs. We are still a beast in manufacturing as Americans, however the amount of jobs keeps going down. Double that with self driving cars, fast food automation, and literally anything else that requires slightly or unskilled labor.

What's safe?

I make a living off of playing bass guitar and producing music. Nothing huge, but it's livable and I can pay my bills/eat/vacation every year. What careers should someone pursue? I know creativity is safe for a while. Soon computers will be able to write themselves (COMP SCI BTFO). Doctors should still be in business. Lawyers could be computerized.

What's safe from automation? Do you think a standard universal wage is needed? If not, what are you going to do when smart but displaced workers break into your place and steal your shit? Keep in mind they might be better armed than you and kill you. The fantasy of being armed and killing niggers in your house might be replaced by a group of 4 white men with shotguns jobless after no trucking jobs available. Can the police be automated?

Can robots or computers be creative? Will I lose my job?

AUTOMATION DEBATE TIME

I have no problem with that, as long as the automation software and hardware is developed here.

What if it isn't? What if japan or china pioneers stronger software? You might lose your job mate.

The only industry I can think of that would be truly safe from automation is art.

Safe? being an intelligent operator and identifying, quickly, when automation services go wrong and if at all possible, why.

Also being a technician and working on the "automated" machines, because shit still breaks, and needs replacing.

So you are supporting a universal living wage? I got to my point in music by grinding 12-14 hour days basically every day in a dark studio and touring when I'm not recording others.

Ton's of people aren't good at art.

Then what?

The maintenance part is very valid, but one or two people could work an entire factory if well trained.

Comfy job though. Drink coffee and listen to podcasts until shit breaks.

>automation and technology are killing our jobs

Incorrect; fiscally irresponsible/lazy people are fueling the flames of an automation boom.

A universal living wage might be completely necessary in the future but for now no, because there are jobs that people can still do that robots can't, I'd give us another 20-30 years before we live in the Wall-E universe.

>What if it isn't?
I would be just as unhappy with outsourcing software and robot development as I would be about outsourcing any other manufacturing in this country.

let's face it. Americans in unions and working 8 hours a day are not going to be a threat to foxconn workers living in manufacturing plants and working 20 hour shifts for peanuts.

If we want america to be at the forefront of manufacturing in the new milenium we are going to need to work smarter. Automation, especifcally automation designed in this country could very well be what we need to bring back the "made in america" label for the stuff we consume. I would have no problem with that

>You might lose your job
what, to a freaking robot? If I am working in a job that a robot can do better I would be extatic to give it to him. I will find something to do with my life that has some meaning, thank you very much

Incorrect. If a company is already rolling out technology to replace jobs, and has no reason to pay an employee anymore, it's not the employees fault. It would be bad business not to automate. Nothing to do with people.

So you are in favor of a national mandatory living wage?

>t. burger flipper

The recent push for automated jobs across the board is a demand for higher wages for employees with minimal skills.

Why would you think that? No, no mandatory living wage. earn your fucking money like everybody else faggot

I don't think it its. I think technology is advancing to where you don't need workers.

Carpenter here. I think I'm safe from automation

What do you do for a living? Don't lie to me faggot.

I would say you are for a while. You'd be dead before automation can take over houses. Solid career choice!

That's the answer I'm looking for.

I write software, and yes I am fully aware that software writing robots are coming, I have no problem with that.

If my job is so sad that a robot can do it better I will be happy to get the fuck out of that job and find another. People who complain about losing their jobs to a machine are sad sad people

Further motivated by employees demanding more money for less work.

But hey, maybe all those people who got replaced can go back to school and learn how to build those machines.

>Fiscal irresponsibility

Oh, right. Explains the whole, "Free college," push, too.

I'm getting a career in medical equipment maintenance because it's as safe as it gets.
It falls under the two safest categories:
Medical: people will always get sick
Maintenance: someone will have to fix our robot overlords.

Anything involving the use of lethal force/law

It will be a long time until it's acceptable for robots to do any of that "muh ethics" shit

seize the (automated) means of production

Maintenance tech at a factory here. It's not as comfy as you think. Not when there are video cameras everywhere in your shop watching your every move, supervisors breathing down your neck, complaining that you don't do enough. Lot of "busy work".