Is a college degree even worth it?

Is a college degree even worth it?

In something worthwhile, yes.

In SJW memeland, no.

/thread

Of course it's worth it, if you have any intellectual curiosity whatsoever and don't want your hands to be destroyed by 30 via trade jobs

Experience>theory
But you can't get experience without the theory

yes. not in gender studies though.

>your hands to be destroyed by 30 via trade jobs

what job destroys your hands?

Sitting in an office all day long is worse on your health than most manual labor.

Its only worth it if you go for a STEM or have a specific career path in mind that requires the degree you're getting (which is usually a STEM degree to begin with.) Too many people have a BA in something useless and work at Wal Mart.

>Worth it

Well what's it worth to you? Don't go to college or university if you want a job...Go there to learn. If you want a job do some technical training instead.

depends on the lifestyle you want, I enjoy my more relaxed degree-less lifestyle of blue collar work, clock in when i want, leave when i want, make something with my hands that someone will use, the quality and effort i put in is apperciated by the consumer and higher ups with a decent pay that we automatically get an economic inflation pay increase, lots of vacation time, and a christmas bonus

Generally yes

Yes

Just get a Business-related degree or something in Science that involves lots of a data entry/analysis.

Bam, all the bases covered.

Came to post this.

If you do a degree like business, you'll need at least a masters to have an advantage in industry.

>no

join the military and get paid by taxpayers doing actual jobs to shoot niggers for a living.

Not if you're a straight white male in public relations or ANY Media post 2008

College is the new high school.

Getting a college degree is now the equivalent of getting a high school diploma twenty years ago. Thanks to liberals, you now need a 4 year degree just to work as a door greeter at Walmart.

This.

In my country, everyone under 40 has a college degree. It's worthless if you don't have field experience.

You get out of it what you put into it.

I have a liberal arts degree in advertising, which i honestly hated obtaining, but i made it my goal to learn everything i could about the topic to make the best out of the hand i chose to be dealt.
Because of my efforts with even such a bullshit degree, i got the best offer on an internship in history, with a company that all of you will use and know very well soon

That depends on the skills they teach you and how thoroughly they teach them.

Education is worthless if you don't learn anything.

You don't actually need a college degree for most careers. All that it proves is that you can complete something big. Honestly this is what I've been told (and experienced) by so many higher ups in companies including CEOs.

Depends what you want to do.

Looking for a high-paying job in a practical field that requires self-disciplined study? Sure.

Looking to find yourself and explore the potential of your creative self? Fuck off and do a trade, shithead. You could be making 100k, have security, no debt and be on the road to a pension.

Fag

Oh man you really got me on that one, how will i ever recover

You can't recover from aids, fag

If I were to consider getting a degree, I would need guaranteed employment after as $100k is a hefty price tag to get certified. I have no dreams that are remotely worth that much.

I don't have a GED in my mid 30s. I'm far too old to start at the absolute bottom and expect to get anywhere without facing a fair share of age bias/discrimination. Perhaps I can have a cool engineering job next life if things are considerably better.

Only for math majors

For specialized, technical fields, yes. You can't just be a nurse, doctor, engineer, chemist, accounting, lawyer etc etc... without the proper supervised training.

If you are going for underwater holistic communications in marketing or some shit then no, its a waste of money.

If you just want to work with something involving some labor and don't really care what it entails, then go to trade school to be an electrician, welder, HVAC, shit like that.

If you want to be a drain on society and survive on gibmedats, work in fast food and have 4 kids, each with a different mom/dad.

>underwater holistic communications in marketing

Goddamn that made me laugh. My go-to liberal arts degree is Portuguese shadow puppetry.

Basket weaving for me.

for something like engineering, accounting, healthcare, yeah

for philosophy, sociology, or liberal arts, no

if I had to do it again, I'd have just invested that 100k while working from the bottom

This. Work in the morning. Teach in the evening. ???. Profit.

Rekt

Depends on the degree of course, and if you can get government bucks.

I got 75% off undergrad tuition, and the army is paying for my medical school now, but I joined for reasons other than the debt relief.

Debt from schooling is an investment, so if you invest in something worth while, you're all good!

I have a liberal arts degree but just blanked when my therapist asked me 18 X 8.
I forgot the way to do it so I did 20*8-(2*8) and I got some retarded answer and it took long.
So no.

We'd have to get the government to dole out that amount. You're out of your mind if I have to spend half of my net wages for a year of my local community college and then attempt to save money.

Depends on your country

In Germany a Master's Degree is mandatory if you want any job opportunity. It doesn't mean you get anything, it only means you have a higher change than zero.

Can someone talk to me about the STEM meme that floats around these parts? Im going to school for mech engineering right now, basics end this year. Whats so great about it exactly? What makes it better than being a firefighter or something

8^2 + 8x10

You'll make 10x more money just transitioning from male to female and extorting companies for money your entire career. If you're going to be sexless anyways there's no reason not to. You might even find a desperate beta orbiter to support you financially once you have female privilege.

You might actually have a sub 100 IQ
>8x8 = 64
>8x1+6 = 14
>answer is 144

Seek help.

You need 2 years of internships. If you are unable to pull that due to autism or anxiety then don't even bother doing engineering.

There are 2 paths in STEM for non-CS related degrees: get a high GPA and go to med school or get 2+ internships/co-ops and do engineering. Everything else is a laughable waste of time and you will never succeed in your career unless you are a minority or female.

I wanted to get into Cs and even went to college for it but had to stop and come home when my mom lost her job.

I love programming but I'm already 24. Is it possible to go back or try to get a Cs job now with the right certs? Will me being black help at all?

how will trade jobs destroy your hand.

STEM degrees yes, others: likely no

They'll destroy your back and knees more than your hands. Only thing that happens to your hands is some mean calluses and probably a lost fingertip if you're retarded.

Dont listen to these faggots

In europe programming is booming so hard they take self taught people. I know a guy who who picked up coding at 27 and is now a IT project manager at Luxoft and the russians are paying well.

Im in accounting but programming helped slingshot me to an extremely cushy process automation job, I live in a fucking suite.

And remember - it will get MUCH HARDER once you are 30+.

If you're under 30 you can get back to university at any time so if you want to do it - do it.

If you're going into debt then it's only worth it if you're STEM most of he time. If you can avoid debt and have a plan for how your non-STEM degree will be applicable in the working world then you're fine.

The people that get in trouble and feel like it's not worth it are those that go into debt for non-STEM degrees.

I've almost got my bachelors. When I've started working to get expirience for the degree(Finnish uni), I've realized that noone cares about my diploma, therefore I've dropped uni, doing work for free is retarded.

t. comp sci

The bachelor's degree is pretty worthless in Finland compared to Master's. I hear it's much more valuable abroad, in other EU/NA countries.

TUT by any chance?

Yeah but you're not white, soooo...

Depends on the trade. Electrician and HVAC aren't that awful. Shit like carpentry will fuck you up though.

Well I am black

B.A in the right field will get you in the door
ultimately, its your work experience, skill set and resume that gets you the job. why do you think people who work mcjobs in college are the ones who can't find a job after college?

correct answer here study stem or medicine we need more doctors we don't need more retarded liberal arts degrees. if you can't afford college or you're to stupid join the military.