Redpill me on learning a trade. I'm 26 with a degree in biology, a job I dislike...

Redpill me on learning a trade. I'm 26 with a degree in biology, a job I dislike, and very few future prospects if my current string of no-response resumes is to be believed. Picked up a few hobbies lately that lead me to believe I'd really enjoy getting into carpentry, but I'm concerned about going to trade school and picking up more debt. Is being a part time apprentice a thing? Is trade school more of a guaranteed job than college, the paper jew?

>Is being a part time apprentice a thing?
Not really but a lot of us(tradesmen) do work on the weekends because thats when you can make the most money. Some freelance. Maybe find somebody who is doing freelance work on the weekends and ask to work under him. Youll have to be his bitch so as long as you are willing to do w/e he asks fetch tools, make runs for parts etc. most of them will teach you everything they know.

become a communist and join the revolution.

How much would that informal experience help in finding a job? Will it just make me more knowledgeable, or does experience like that actually matter and count?

>I'd really enjoy getting into carpentry

If you're really skilled at carpentry you'd be fine. Otherwise you'll just be throwing up studs and drywall with a bunch of mexicans. You should go for electrician/control tech, hvac/pipefitter, welder (you can be legally retarded and still be a great welder and make awesome money), or even plumber or operator.

> Is trade school more of a guaranteed job than college

Absolutely. If you live in a major metropolitan area, at least.

Im an electrician, non union. In my experience, its not so much a resume but being able to get on the job and just go to work and knock shit out. For the electrical trade some companies will send you to school while you work for them, but i dont know about carpenters. Where i live they are almost always mexicans that dont speak english. That being said, a skiilled carpenter can rake in some cash if you get on doing custom homes.

Become an Electrician or a Pilot. There aren't enough of them but the people that are some of the smartest people I know. Electricians and Pilots are not just good for their trade but they know carpentry, heavy equipment operating, and how to fix automobiles and cars.

Very valuable skill and you can make a killing within 3-5 years. Go to trade school part-time if you can and become a full-time apprentice with somewhere reputable.

Do anything other than carpentry. No one has carpet anymore.

Part of me thought electrician, but I'm colorblind. Won't that be an issue?

Molecular biology degree here

I don't work in my field

Learn some programming user, it's painfully simple, hardest part will be picking up the syntax, but even that isn't difficult

Comp sci is a meme science, if you learned biology you'll sail through comp sci

I'd suggest starting with Python because it's the simplest OOP language IMO. Java is great to know, but it's a very formal syntax. That's good for learning the overall scope of what you need, but it's cumbersome when you're beginning.

Either way, use Python/Java to get a grasp of OOP concepts. Also learn R/SAS for statistical tests and big data analysis.

Finally, learn SQL, which is the easiest of the easy tier. Use SQL for manipulating databases.

Also, Javascript(totally unrelated to Java btw) for web scripts, it tends to pay pretty well right now.

TL:DR, you have science skills, you need some data manipulation skills.

>those digits
kek is in agreeance

It counts alot. Most people start on construction crews as lumber-toter, but this applies to all materials.. and work their way up. Once you've proven you can accurately read a tape measure, you'll move quickly from there.

I would start with a framing crew, you'll see many aspects of construction from there.. and how it all comes together.

A man who enjoys his job never really works..

>pilot

the gwot produced a lot of pilots and there's still too many nam' era pilots buzzing around. it doesn't look like there are too many pilot jobs out there, especially coming out of flight school.

Definitely. I dont mean to tell you what to do but plumber would probably be the best choice. You get paid more than most residential electricians and you get emergency calls which are like a golden goose. A late night emergency call once a week and im eating good. Look for a respected company and dont be afraid to work hard and take pride in your work. I only knew how to hang a ceiling fan when i started and theyve taught me so much shit in just a few years. Good luck m8.

Also, 99% of programmers do not do heavy mathematics, so don't bother trying to do heavy math shit, focus on interactive programs. Games/quizzes that log your progress, record high scores/wrong answers/correct answers, display percentages of right/wrong etc. Learn to store them in databases via SQL, and do statistical tests with R on your databases.

Assuming you live in an urban area, you'll be making damn good money.

Work on it seriously and you'll be employable.

I would also suggest Ruby/Ruby on Rails, RoR in particular pays super good right now, but I don't think it's as intuitive as Python/Java/SQL/R

I enjoy it immensely, in fact I only got a degree in natural resource management to pad my resume in case I ever want to do anything else. I'm an arborist by trade and I can honestly say it's good honest work for decent pay, with a lot of challenge thrown in because it's not something you can just stare at numbers on a screen or blueprints to get

Pic related

you can make money while you can work. seems pretty comfy and rewarding but probably better than nothing. its not going to be amazing money but you'll be happy with iit

Get your CDL, take basic electricity, possibly take one year of line college. Apply for every pre apprentice or ground man job at utilities or contractors or ibew. Here in AZ you top out as a journeyman lineman about 46$/hr, as much over time as you want. Know several lineman in the 150k-200 range with OT. Know guys that get 15,000 two week checks all summer long during our monsoon season.

Thanks a lot, lots of good advice here. I'll ask around a bit more and wait a bit to make sure this isn't just a passing fancy and I'll be even more miserable with such a huge career shift, but I'm feeling pretty confident right now.

Make no mistake, a trade is as challenging if not more than college because there's so many things that can't just be talked about or read out of a book, they have to be shown and more importantly you have to get it

i left college after two years and now work as a marble and granite fabricator. I did two years as an apprentice with someone who lived in my neighborhood and happened to be one of the best in our area. We got alone really well and once he felt I learned enough he put me into contact with a larger company so I could make more money. If you have contacts and people that are willing to train you you're going to have a much easier time getting started than going and approaching people, not saying it can't be done that way though

u looking for a mexican? I'm a white neet thats gona run out of money soon after dropping out of world due to hating cubicle life

Ummm..
I don't know what area you're in but winter is a terrible time to switch to construction work.. (sorry)

I usually have more work than I can handle during nice weather, but I have to save because winter is always lean, and rainy around here.. Georgia.

I am an electrician.

I bend EMT

Nobody can bend EMT as good as me so i get to bend all of the EMT!

Maybe a cabinet shop for winter, you'll learn enough there to take you almost anywhere in the wide world of "construction work"

At least you'll learn how to read a tape..

That's one thing that attracted me to it, actually. Academia is incredibly boring and straightforward if you have the head for it. Adding in real world problem solving shit makes things interesting.

That's why I'm asking now and part of what I meant by waiting a bit, so I have a plan for when the weather gets better and I'm not scrambling to figure something out when the summer's already half over.

Just finished a 20x80 metal building with about 15 home runs. Having to bend 90s with multiple offesets, fml. You pipe guys are a different breed, that shit had me begging for some mc.
Im sure someone does bud. Just work hard and being able to speak fucking english and not steal everything you see on the jobsite will take you a long way. The satisfaction of seeing the good work youve done completed is better than anything i did in my short period of neetdom.

>Redpill me on learning a trade.
I was 24 when I gave up on shittastic "jobs" and entered into a Union apprenticeship in the pipe trades. I worked full time at apprentice rate for the state mandated 5 years.

The work is entertaining, and does require quite a bit of specific and general knowledge that average "residential" construction workers won't get.

My pay is outstanding. My benefits are well above average. I am overqualified to do a majority of the things that I do....I have been "overtrained". Our Union Hall's goal is to create overskilled workers.

It was one of the best decisions I made in my life.

Personally: I would not waste time in a "trade school". A union hall will offer the training while you work in the field with an experienced journeyman. Obviously there are some caveats with that...I.e. I cannot take my skills elsewhere for 5 years after becoming a journeyman OR I will be responsible for my "school fees". However, If I decided that it was not for me, I could go back to being a landscaper and not incur any penalty because it is not pipe trades.

Call your local union hall(s) and ask questions. Speak to members of different organizations and see what their thoughts are on it.

I am pro-union. I do not judge non-union or other unorganized businesses. Each of us have a very specific place in the market. I am pro-union because of some of the benefits that come with it. I do a job, I complete the job and get sent home....I call my hall and find out where my next job is. Sometimes there is a few days lay-over. This year I had ONE lay-off. I made a choice to stay off for 6 weeks to take care of family business (dying father). I could have been back to work instantly.

My hall offers massive amounts of specific training and certifications. There is no reason to be an underemployed piece of shit.

Just my 2 cents on the matter from a Journeyman Pipefitter/Steamfitter/Plumber.

Do you think a black could get into pipe fitting?

Welder here.

There is an endless supply of discardable temp jobs paying under $20/hr. You will be lucky to get $15 even after school. The work that actually pays well is way rarer, with serious competition.

Even worse for carpenters from what I've heard.

Also realize that you may end up working 50-60+ hours a week. That shit will wear you down after a few months and your personal life will suffer.

If you want to do a trade, do electrical or HVAC or plumbing.

Despite all my bitching it still beats sitting at a desk in an office.

Also Icepacks, Aleve, and stretching are your best friends

I have a degree in microbiology. I realized I hate doing research and sifting through people shit (literally) is not my idea of a dream job. I decided to go into dental school. While there is a huge tuition cost and 4 year investment there are ways around it, such as joining the military (basically you work on a base, never have to worry about being actually deployed) or a pay as you earn refund system where you pay 10% of your income for 20 years and what ever you don't pay is forgiven.

Consider that dentistry is a job that you can work anywhere, will not be automated, you work 4 days a week, and only 2% of dentist default on their loans (not just student loans but all loans.)

Your job is literally about keeping things white. Only problem is that there are a lot of Jews. Good news is, people flock to white dentists because Jews, Arabs and some Asian dentists are screwing people over.

i don't even measure half the time.

THE CONDUIT BENDER IS AN EXTENSION OF MY AURA

I BEND THE EMT WITH MY WILL AND MY BODY MERELY FOLLOWS

These guys are right, there's WAY more money in the licensed trades, and the work isn't anywhere near as weather dependent, either..

But if you have a thing for wood working, there's good money in quality cabinetry, and furniture.

Residential construction is great for me, we usually switch to remodeling this time of year.. a good trim man can make real good money too..

But the licensed guys... if you could be happy with one of those trades, I'd do it..

blacks are EXTREMELY desirable if ur competent enough to be on this site and not a nigger u can be a fake owner and get all the govt contracts for ur union boys

yes, apprenticeship is a thing. Plumbing, carpentry, "handyman", chimney builder/sweep, solar/ wind installer, rain irrigation grey/blackwater/water purification installer, all highly needed trades in the future. Especially w/ the troubles we'll be facing in the future. Another niche i think will become big in the next few decades is custom consumer electronics, if you have a decent IQ, learn basic programing and electronic theory and basic physics, you can make just about anything for any purpose for anyone. Make sure to cover yourself on insurance/fire safety/electrocution legal concerns. Right now the ameican market isn't even aware of the need because of the huge influx of electronics from china, but if we de-globalize or have a return of engineering to the states, there could arise a real need for custom electronics for home consumers, think wind power, custom irrigation, green houses, lighting, home security systems, home automation etc. etc.

wtf i never heard anyone say this about welding before why is everything a scam
what makes u so sure hvac elec plumbing are better

Because these are services you will not even try to live without.

Go into programming. Overpaid, future-proof for at least a while, good job availability.

Also, if you have a background in biology, you're most likely smart enough to do it easily.

lies.

For one, American manufacturing isn't what it used to be. I did a short stint at a former Lockheed/NASA contractor. They got bought out by an English financial group, chopped up, outsourced, and downsized. When I got there half the warehouse was empty or storage.

HVAC, electrical, and plumbing are better because they're more widely needed and you can't outsource them.

Think of the rocket ship leaving Earth packed with Illuminati on the dawn of the apocalypse. You bet your ass they're bringing a guy who keeps the AC and the toilets working.

how does one even get into hvac?

The recession is very real in Cuckanada. Electricians I know are driving cabs, cutting grass etc. I have 15 years experience and I was building cabinets because the ibew is so slow. I should have stayed in school.

Lots of contractors out there, everybody's gotta start somewhere. After enough trying you'll eventually find a company willing to take on someone new.

Or you could try the sheetmetal workers union. Those guys have it made.

i work on the docks as a longshoreman in la/dong beach and i'm waiting to get into the union. i've considered looking into another union, but everyone i talk to says they're just as difficult to get into as mine. the mechanics on the docks make like $56 and hour during the day shift, but when there's a few open slots the "applications" go for 25k. everything depends on knowing the right person and being able to give them a reason to hook you up instead of their family member. i work with a dude who was in a steamfitting union, but he doesn't know the right people to get me in; of course they have a long waiting list for new apprentices. getting a good union gig is fairly difficult. the doors don't just open because you're interested and want to work.

Electrical is fun but availability is pretty low. Took me about 2 months to get a year's work in Halifax. Even being native who is on top of the diversity quotas finding a job here is quite hard. But owell, I got employment insurance to fall back on.

I started electrical young because I got terrible grades in high school, but I'll give you my trade school teacher's story:

He got into a good school on a baseball scholarship and studied computer science. He actually played minor leagues for a couple years and then got a near-six figure desk job in computer science. It took him less than a year to quit it out of boredom and get a $10/hr apprenticeship in electrical. He is now back at six figures doing something he loves.