Did "fake news" just become a thing? Or is it just a buzzword made up to explain why Trump won?

Did "fake news" just become a thing? Or is it just a buzzword made up to explain why Trump won?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WcWPkTcOvUw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fake news has been a thing for a while, and yes, it does exist.

The mainstream media is now attacking everything that isn't the mainstream media though, because they realised they lost the monopoly on the truth. It's already too late anyway.

Why didn't the term show up before November 15, 2016?

"Fake news" refers to websites that deliberately post false stories for clicks, generally outside of the mainstream.

In the larger picture it is nothing new. I see it pushed a lot by people who cannot (or do not want to) understand why Trump won.

the onion ripoffs were what brought the concept into the social consciousness. now anything can be lies if you wish hard enough

It's the shittiest meme ever.

Govt is shit at making memes.

It did, but it didn't capture the public until after the US elections. Fake news also wasn't nearly as relevant in the past, many fake news stories were shared by hundreds of thousands. The mainstream media blamed "fake news" as the reason why Trump was elected, as a way to deflect from their own biased and blatantly made up reporting.

The narrative is now expanded not just as an attack against fake news, but also legitimate news outlets that follow different interpretations from the mainstream one.

"fake news" is a meme that is clearly being pushed down from the top of a media pyramid.

Kind of like how Trump's RNC speech was 'dark' on every single newspaper and network.

Not to be cliché but I say this because if you read how Goebbels ran the media when he was press chief he would give out the daily propaganda line and the newspapers had to print it with little variation.

The difference was, everyone knew Goebbel's was press chief and how he worked. It wasn't a secret.

Because it's a recent machination.

Fake news is a buzzword made by the manufacturers of fake news to discredit those who point out their fake news.

Those sites have existed for a long time, going back to 9/11 truthers and beyond.

But look at that graph. The term "fake news" all of a sudden pops up on November 15, one week after the election.

It's a massive media attempt to delegitimize Trump. He won because of "fake news."

Yeah, "fake news" and "dark."

Just like Trump's America First foreign policy was "incoherent." All over the place, the same word. I wonder who could be behind this.

Fake news as an entity has been spread on social media and as advertisements on mass media web pages. If '10 crazy new fads' or 'this one weird trick' were a part of the headline, it was ads disguized as news.

There were images of a mangled bloody dogs foot with the words "this is what walking your dog on hot pavement can do" but the photo was actually taken from a dog that had been tied up on a roof for 3 days.

That's real "fake news"

But the buzzword #fakenews is a result of Facebook being accused of being responsible for the content of it's subscribers, which it is not.

Fake news was indeed a real thing (anyone remember tabloids?) But has been appropriated as propoganda by the mass media to divert attention from their admitted corruption and onto independent media entities.

Although there is fake news, most from the alt media is accurate. the msm will use this "fake news" thing to silence all but the corporate owned media and it will be the foundation for the ministry of truth

I think part of the problem the media has with "fake news" sites is that they cynically exploit everything for money, including ideologies. It (further) de-legitimates the media which could lead to a "post truth" world - which, of course, has always been the case with mass media.

Ministry of Truth when?

Yes there is "fake news" the website 8newsnow was trying to be shilled on here for a while. It's supposed to look like a local news station. But the media is now saying "fake news" is anything that gets too close to their agenda.

youtube.com/watch?v=WcWPkTcOvUw

Really made me think! They tried to cover it up, but I don't know if they succeeded

Comet Ping Pong, is now a more popular search that fake news.

>Did fake news just become a thing?

Most definitely. And it's going to boomerang back in the faces of the MSM and progressives so fucking hard.

'Fake news' (i.e., actual news) became a thing because the MSM refused to report the facts or did so in the most outrageously biased manner possible.

Any battle between alternative news sources which actually report reality and establishment media (totally unprofitable, only kept afloat by monies from the likes of Bezos and Slim) which simply push the hilariously dishonest pro-establishment narrative will see the latter losing badly.

Clamping down on the likes of the Daily Stormer, Infowars, Breitbart etc isn't going to stop the average Minnesotan thinking "what the fuck is going on here?" as he see's his state overrun by fucking Somalians.

Fake News really does exist. I have relatives on Facebook posting dubious stories from sources I've never heard of, half of which are just blogs.

That being said, the corporate media is trying to discredit their online competitors so they can control the narrative.

The way the MSM is reacting to the whole Pizzagate thing makes me think it could only go two ways, a conspiracy that got out of hand and the MSM is cashing in to discredit outside news sites as fake or there is some truth in there about what's going on and they're burying it as fast as possible as fake to get people off their backs.

It's going to be used to justify massive internet censorship.

This is why we need to ruin their plans. We must start calling everything fake news. Especially stuff like CNN, Washington Post, etc.

I can't believe how hateful the media is to their own president. It's surreal. I don't think he was supposed to win. We are in an alternate timeline.

At first I thought it was just the mainstream media trying to protect their relevancy by fighting off alternative media outlets.

But then I began seeing how "experts" in many of these articles were saying that "fake news" is a threat to democracy, and how it would be wise to crack down on them.

I believe that is the final goal. Total censorship of non-established media.

it's really just Clickbait Journalism. outrage sells more than truth.

this holds true for both ideological parties, btw. dont think your right-wing asses aren't also flocking to headlines like "Immigrants Taking Over Germany; Outnumbering Whites SOON"

astroturfing + the msm's terrible memesmithing

I honestly feel like it's the second option, for these reasons

1. Some of the people implicated in pizzagate might have connections to the media

2. They never actually dispute the evidence, because the evidence is undisputable (not 100% convincing to most people, but the oddities stop becoming oddities when theres too many to count) They simply say its a crazy conspiracy and are linking it to the alt right, which leads me to believe they are just trying to discredit it. Anything that gets linked to the alt right, is an attempt to discredit

Fake news at its most basic form has been a problem since admin pages first blew up on Facebook, but the idea that the MSM is actually reporting this heavily on fake news to the point of arguably capitalizing a term out of it with "Fake News" shows that they're really putting pressure against something getting in their way. They're losing profits, sources are giving info to other news outlets before they get it, less viewers and less moderate viewers are tuning into them, they're losing grip in the information age to the wide availability of communication on the internet and want to slander them to try to keep their "reputability" as media superior, etc. Otherwise they wouldn't even bat an eye at it. They're going to make every journalistic news that isn't a part of their "accredited" web, even ones that have been proven to be reputable even if biased, look bad by branding them as false if they get an article or fact wrong, or "wrong," despite the fact that the MSM fucks up all the time and is constantly apologizing for publishing wrong information.

Don't forget about "demagogue"

oy vey delet this