Do any of you care about the fact that all modern micro-processors from Intel and AMD are backdoored?

Do any of you care about the fact that all modern micro-processors from Intel and AMD are backdoored?

E.g. Intel management engine allows signed code to hijack every component of your hardware. It's like a segmented, hidden part of the processor solely dedicated towards "updates" and you can't turn it off. So even Linux fags using whole disk encryption are still vulnerable.

Also, rebuttal to the "but I have nothing to hide" argument: papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=998565

>25% of global traffic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_Police_(surveillance_program)

ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf
this is also a good paper related to this subject
>if no backdoor in your software, compiler probably implemented one
>if no backdoor implementing compiler then your hardware probably implemented one

Did you know all modern AMD have a ARM co processor for "power management and microcode updates"
Did you know that modern Intel chips for laptops have a sound analyzer built in

arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/scientist-developed-malware-covertly-jumps-air-gaps-using-inaudible-sound/
and then viruses using these techniques started appearing in the wild
extremetech.com/computing/171949-new-type-of-audio-malware-transmits-through-speakers-and-microphones
threatpost.com/dragos-ruiu-on-the-badbios-saga/102823/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_store#Writable_stores
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/
theguardian.com/books/2014/may/12/glenn-greenwald-nsa-tampers-us-internet-routers-snowden

wired.co.uk/article/ip-bill-law-details-passed
bbc.co.uk/news/business-34743185

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1602.01616
lenovo.com/us/en/PDFs/lenovo_anti_theft_protection.pdf
shop.lenovo.com/us/sitelets/software/anti-theft-protection
shodan.me/books/
zdnet.com/article/two-netgear-routers-are-vulnerable-to-trivial-to-remote-hack/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants
youtu.be/sVd0rlTeQtM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Botnet

Intel chips have indeed a technique called """anti-theft""" which can at least disable the chips
Not clear if Intel can do more than that

they can use it to locate the physical location of the device. this is not a secret, but advertised as a feature for end-users. the chip tracks the location of the computer irregardless of the operating system even being present.

>t. my thinkpad has it

>the chip tracks the location of the computer irregardless of the operating system even being present
So like unique hardware ID of each chip calls home each time it can connect and transmit via ip?

Why not just buy pre-ARM/IME processors?

Unless you know how to make a CPU looks like were going to have to deal with it.

no, I mean literally using GPS

A CPU isn't that difficult to make really
It's just that if you want to make a CPU that can compete with Intel or AMD you're going to need to invest in devices that literally cost millions

>using GPS
Fuckkkk lmao. So they remote power the chips no doubt, they wouldn't even need a power supply to my understanding

That's some next level shit

Prove it.

Also I don't connect my PC to the internet so I don't care.

did your pigeon post this?

I just slipped it into my pet roos pouch and he hopped off down to the post office where a friendly government official posted it for me.

oh look, another foreigner trying to make us citizens upset.

Honestly, I'm seeing two solutions here. Somehow, somewhere in the future there must be a method to utterly saturate global and domestic Internet traffic to such a ridiculously high degree that it's virtually impossible for the currently existing technology to keep up with the data flow and reasonably and effectively make use of the data that is captured. The Internet needs to be saturated with a bunch of garbage information to obscure the actual relevant information, which, of course, is also encrypted. This makes any interceptors (i.e. the NSA or GCHQ or any independent data analytics company) jobs much, much harder and much more expensive. However, this still leaves open the question about the source and destination.

The problem with that is centralization of the the Web and other Internet services. Data is sent from your individual computer or computing device and received by a central serving host, or server which is owned by a company, government or individual. The data on the end-to-end spectrum can still be exposed, even with encryption. HTTPS only secures the traffic as it is en route to it's final destination. Once it reaches that destination it is decrypted, and we put our trust into the serving host that that decrypted data is going to be available only to them and used only in your interests. We now know definitively that they can't be trusted and that the client-server centralized Internet model is inherently flawed in this way.

So to remedy this problem, decentralization needs to happen, and it's already underway. Much of the groundwork has been already constructed in earlier years with technology like bittorrent protocol and blockchain encryption technology for bitcoin. The only thing left is to build the actual framework now and get more users migrated from the centralized Internet to the decentralized. I believe that decentralized Internet is the way of the future. It's inevitable.

russia is trying to compete and roll out their own gps system. go figure there's a shill telling us to not trust our system.

>hey guise checkout RTv tonight to hear why your government sucks!

>hey Mr government official, please send me a print of the following sadpanda collections

Thank you for putting in the effort to make an informative OP.

Wish i had a pet roo too.

why arent you fpga'ing your neural networks, user?

arxiv.org/abs/1602.01616

Wait holy shit

So you're saying, if the government were to control all computer and software companies, they would be able to access my information no matter what I do?

What can we do about this?

no im not one of these alt right russian fatass hacker pedophiles it means nothing to me

I know about it but there's literally nothing I can do short of going full stallman and reducing my shitposting ability to text browsers

What the fuck. He has a job looking like that?

"Howdy partner! Seen any of them Alt-Right folk around here lately? Them critters are mighty pesky!"

Burn it down. Burn it all down. Start fresh.

>yfw the world will end in fire
>mfw hell on earth will be real
>Eons of human advancement and culture
>Will be gone in less than a decade
>mfw I still wont have a protected PC by then

FPGA's are a meme

thanks user, will read

What is an FPGA? Google tells me its some faction that killed rhodesians

Field Programmable Gate Array
Like a chip
But the electronics can be physically shifted every run/during run rather than static like spinned chips
Great for prototyping specific purpose processors but awful for actual use

my fucking sides

Holy shit that sounds like a crazy thing to have in a PC senpai

wew

They're usually not in PCs
Well that's not really true
GPUs use something very similar
Production versions of these kinds are ASICs and they are usually used for things like bitcoin miners

I sincerely doubt that. All a GPS does is compare a pseudo-random signal to a clock. The clock is the main expense of any such device because you need beyond milliseconds of precision and accuracy. It would either be very expensive to have a proper GPS installed, or completely pointless if you skimp on it.

Some other type of transponder technology may be used, but there isn't that much physical space left on a processor. Software backdoors cost no space, however, and they're a lot more likely just to check what country the serial number comes from, or ask the ISP where you live.

How do I learn all of the stuff you know about computers?

I dont wanna be computically illterate ;-;

>PCs come without accurate system clocks
Wew

>I sincerely doubt that.
lenovo.com/us/en/PDFs/lenovo_anti_theft_protection.pdf
shop.lenovo.com/us/sitelets/software/anti-theft-protection

I have studied them since I was 10
I'm not 21 yr old and a project lead and lead engineer for one of the mayor players in the semiconductor industry

>yfw they really can shut down the atoms

>ASIC == FPGA == GPU
Throw in a PLC and a DSP in there and every single computer literate fag will cringe hard enough to turn his anus into diamonds.

hey ruskies, why do you focus on american tech?
what's the problem with telling us about all the kremlin honey pots? not your job?

I work with time related projects

They typically drift worse than a Casio depending on the battery voltage

I've seen some diff 30s-/+ within 3 hours compared against an in-house atomic clock

>>>>

Can you reccommend any books or videos?

I would really appreciate it, and nice job on your career now 2bh

i'd like to see russia go spam up chinese boards, talking about how china spies.
pussies only feel safe doing it to america, while trying to make us upset about 'fake news'

Thrustzone is slowly growing into a IME competitor. No decent CPU is safe.

We're fucked. They won.

Intel costumers usually do choose for more accurate system clocks exactly so that they can use AT

>books
I can really only recommend one source but I'm not sure if it's still up
Search for the gentoomen library

how's your semester goin'?

makin' any windmills?

IIRC when you disable that in the bios it burns a fuse and can never be turned back on

Watch the duck out for old sandy chips, some mobile ones have a cell module in the cpu, can literally be bricked with an SMS.

This trend didn't go past a single generation for obvious reasons.

Sounds like great anti theft, but can't be disabled like computrace.

Sup Forums has threads about this topic pretty regularly and i feel qualified to write about it because i did a ton of research and i even flashed libreboot on a x60s laptop and desoldered IR reciever and microphone from the mobo and i unplugged the speaker as well as the internal wifi module and i substituted a dongle which uses open sourced firmware, in addition to running linux off a usb stick with signed firmware that has a physical read/write switch

there are a few levels of more paranoid you can get from that, but barely. the only more paranoid you can get is phyiscally soldering the EPROM chip, physically preventing BIOS from being reflashed maliciously and using a burned DVD or CD for your OS.

its a huge pain in the ass to do what i did. and from the research i did, first of all the bad bios thing, the malware jumping airgaps, is literally fiction. it's a boogeyman. you could detect that even if you couldn't hear it, obviously instruments exist that can pick up such a signal. but no such virus has ever been detected.

the thing that a lot of people don't understand is the shit intel puts in their chips is so tech support guys dont need to fly out to their clients in order to fix stuff. the reason the "spying" technology in CPUs and on mobos exists and is used is to help out the traveling businessman who goes to tokyo or paris or wherever and does a presentation for his company, but he's tech illiterate and can't figure out how to open a pdf file or connect to the projector, so there's all this extra low level shit companies like intel put in to allow remote access. obviously there is a privacy issue you can make but there's a lot of documentation out there and you can disable computrace and other shit in BIOS. if this was spying on you they wouldn't include documentation or let you disable it.

tl;dr half of what op says is untrue and the other half is fundamentally misunderstanding why engineers design CPUs and mobos the way they do

?
Windmills are still running desu
No need to replace them

Is it this?

shodan.me/books/

You could disable it temporarily if you like.

Oh yes this seems to be it

thanks!

Np
Start with the actual useful books

If ICBM ran on Atoms processors I'd feel less secure about our military kek

>it's just a (((leak))) goyim
>it was not put there on purpose
>we're not just revealing it because someone other than us found out about it and is using it now

zdnet.com/article/two-netgear-routers-are-vulnerable-to-trivial-to-remote-hack/

shodan.io is a better service

i don't shit talk well via keyboard

this guy gets it

>Intel and AMD
so who do I buy from?

You send your designs to TSMC and fork over a million dollars

wat are yer needs?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants

fujitsu and ti are my faves

if you are seriously committed to not using amd or intel, you can buy computer from a chinese manufacturer called Lemote. Specifically the laptop the Lemote Yeelong. rms uses it, or used it once upon a time. iirc, all levels of software, even BIOS are open source and documented

the only way to win, is to not play.

go innawoods and shit

>shodan.io is a better service

Isn't that an onion site? Should I be accessing that on the clear web? Am I retarded for asking this question?

its a url

>saged
what's your fucking problem?
>.io
>onion
jesus christ

i'd be high strung too if i lived where you do

muzzies

Some have a 3g transmitter. Need a faraday cage

what?

youtu.be/sVd0rlTeQtM

wat?

what % of yer country is below sea level?

when the ice caps melt where do yall go?

>computers have accurate system clocks
They don't. They never needed them. Telling time in computers is only for making sure that your 30-day trial expires. Fierce competition means that everything non-essential is cut in order to have competitive prices. It's much more efficient to have a garbage clock that's synchronised by windows every day when you aren't looking.

If the processor had a built-in, ultra-high-quality clock in it, then why do we still use the one linked to the retarded CMOS battery? Just draw system time from the GPS system. You cannot possibly have a more accurate reading than that. As soon as one competitor makes the connection, all the others would follow suit and it would become industry standard. It still isn't, however. I guess it's because CEOs of big corporations really respect their competitors, right? And that their solidarity is stronger than greed. Get the fuck out of here.

In addition, what powers the ultra-high-quality GPS clock? What if the terrorist doesn't use his laptop for X years, or depletes the system battery on purpose? How do you resynchronyse it with nanosecond precision? As said - the onboard clocks are garbage, and I didn't know it was that bad.

Lenovo feel that they can brag about this because it's not standard practice. I can guarantee that the transponder is not mounted in the processor, it's probably an extra module on the motherboard or even a seperate entity altogether.

it's hilarious, because your government pays us to help you from floods. we have less of those problems than you have

>what's your fucking problem?

I'm retarded and I also forgot to take off my Id.

wait

Yes, I do. I didnt have the redpills on it though.

As long as white people run the Netherlands it won't sink
The moment were gone this country will delete itself from the map

HOL UP
One question:
Who the fuck gives a shit about any of this? Other than those with a meter thick layer of laminated aluminium around the head?

>italian retard joins the thread
>AYO HOL UP
go be subhuman elsewhere

>why care
did you forget your (recent) fascist government? do you know what they could do with today's tech?

>go be subhuman elsewhere
Why? Italians are not white anyway )))

>did you forget your (recent) fascist government? do you know what they could do with today's tech?
MIGA? I'm down with that!

i dont disagree

what'd y'all just do to geert tho : /

(they're stealing holland)

tic toc

>Italians are not white anyway

Persian rape baby detected. Better not find yourself an enemy of the state, nigger.

Do you have a computer science degree?

>geert
he wants to make us Israeli puppet #2324

Yes
But you must realize that (((they))) have put us in a difficult position
Either become a puppet or fall

nah, YOU must realize that (((they))) are trying to convince us that we must choose between dying out, and a jewish held leash.

it was their plan all along

>intel management engine
You can switch that off

>25% of global traffic
yeah so what

meh 100% of your post is shit we've known about forever

good thing (You) added something new for us to read :^)

thanks pajeet

this thread is fucked

You dumb fucking pretzel eating cock gobbling tulip seller, go and fuck yourself

>pretzel eating cock gobbling tulip seller
thanks for making me lol

My CPU, OS, and Router are American, couldn't give a fuck to be honest because we're the good guys. I wouldn't trust any Chink stuff though.

>we're the good guys.

>buy computer
And what if I want to get a custom system?
If they really were using this shit to spy on us they'd never document it in the first place, since the cpu die and low-level shit aren't that public anyway.

>my CPU is American
And everything else isn't?