How can Christians justify worshiping a god that by a whim would have a man sacrifice his own son to prove his...

How can Christians justify worshiping a god that by a whim would have a man sacrifice his own son to prove his obedience? How can a Christian justify Abraham as parent not refusing such a demand? This feels like a terrible perversion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vggzqXzEvZ0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utnapishtim
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're not supposed to question this stuff.

don't act like you never fapped to gore

I can't reconcile the faith with my desire to be a good father to my child, if I can't answer this for my child as I asked my dad once.

You justify worshipping God because God tells you to. That's kind of the point.

Really, user?

Why would he refuse?

Suppose you had a stepfather, your father came home and wanted your stepfather to prove his loyalty and strength so your father knows your in good hands, he orders him to kill you.
Your father prevents him at the last minute.

Different world. Sacrificing sons or being asked to was a way of testing/showing strength and devotion.

Doesn't God also say, thou shalt not kill?

Would you kill your own son just because God tells you to? This just doesn't sound like something God could possibly tell someone.

That makes no sense. Why wouldn't the step father have the moral courage to defy the father?

Well you'll need to get over it soon or you'll end up swallowing 2 nasty repills; Atheism and Nihilism.
Trust me, you don't want to do that.
Christcucks are cringy but they are much happier than people like me and they will lead much more fulfilling lives.

When this story was written there was a fad of sacrificing your children to a God.

This wasn't a story of having so much faith he would kill your son, it used to a story just saying, yo our God doesn't ask that you murder your own son.

Over the years the story slowly was mistranslated and taken out of context by shitty church scribes.

It really is just a shitpost making fun of Moloch followers who literally were killing their sons.

Not to mention the strength to stand up for his son. Wouldn't that be a better resolution to the test of obedience? Wouldn't that indicate a person true to the will of a benevolent god?

Abraham was testing God

When this story was written Moloch followers were throwing their sons into pits of fire.

This religion came along and made fun of them with this story.

All stories in the bible are or were had great values and moral significance to them.

Um, well It's pretty clear the story is about having the faith and obedience to sacrifice your son.

I'm not sure where this apocryphal literature stating the opposite is coming from.

Isaac was the safest person on the mountain that day. This was typology that anticipates Christ (i.e. the ram that was substituted for Isaac).

what?
god just wanted to blast a load to it

God demanded Abraham to sacrifice his son, maybe Abraham was testing god as well, but the story is pretty clear that God intended Abraham to attempt to kill his child and Abraham intended to kill his child, with God interceding in the event as an act of mercy.

Yeah why didn't anyone in the bible ever really have a fucking argument with God? Why didn't anyone turn around and say "Hang on a minute now, why the fuck are you doing all this malicious shit, treating us like fucking lab rats making us kill our own children and slaughter animals in ritual sacrifices? Did you really need to flood the entire fucking planet save for a family and a bunch of animals on an impossibly huge ark and make a rainbow to get your point across? Why couldn't you just snap your fingers and fix us you incompetent asshole?"

Yeah, but the issue for me is not that God intended to intercede if Abraham attempted to kill his son. The issue for me is that Abraham intended to kill his son and God intended for Abraham to have that INTENT as well.

Dude, that's nasty. Take that to Sup Forums.

>Yeah why didn't anyone in the bible ever really have a fucking argument with God?

Because it's fiction and thinking about it too much ruins the narrative.

I recently read an interesting book in idols, and how they aren't as easy to spot as simply gold/wooden statues. In it, the book mentions that Abraham was at risk of turning his son into an idol of sorts. Abraham placed his son in such a high regard, that he was at risk of placing his son above God. So God needed to remind Abraham of his priorities in life.

As said, Isaac was in absolutely no danger. God didn't want Abraham to sacrifice Isaac (He wouldn't have intervened otherwise), He merely wanted to remind Abraham of the order of things.

Confirmed for not actually having read the Bible. See: the book of Job.

Bookmark it in Genesis as it is laid out. It comes after the tower of Babyl, where humans built ziggurats to entice God down from the Heavens to dwell amount them so they could have God in their back pocket.

This was for all the wrong reasons and not initiated by God towards his people.

End that part of Genesis.

Abraham story, God created a new covenant with his people. He had to test the will of Abraham to trust him completely, thus the test.

Abraham passed, no son died.

New Covenant, established by God to his people as God reached out to them and revealed himself.

Also, since the son lived and no human sacrifice was done it set them apart, again, theologically from their neighbors.

>entire goal is to make the flock unquestioning in god's design

they're not going to encourage dissent

I've thought about this exact thing. I've heard all sort of philosophical justifications to this story but none of them reconcile my faith in a God, my love for my child and my belief in Christianity itself as the word of God.

I sometimes wonder if god didn't slip these stories in the bible as tests of our faith, to see if we'd reject them, because I do feel there's alot of good in the bible.

don't take the old testament literally.

did i hurt your feelings?

btw you started a thread about religion on a political board and tells me i should go to Sup Forums because my respond is "nasty"?
i bet you get called a retard in RL too.

this perfectly summarizes the ppl who make these threads

Yes, he intended for Abraham to intend to kill his child. It's attempted infanticide. How can I love a God that would make me place him before my own son, rather than expecting me to love them equally, if not loving my son above all else?

Any stepfather would step the bio dad right out of his home and have a restraining order filed on him.

>God kills every non-Jewish first born child in egypt to try to liberate the jews from slavery.. so they could later get their own slaves

God's a cunt.

To show how he wouldn't have that mercy on his own Son for us when the day came. It was a prefiguration. Abraham = the Father, Isaac = Christ.

>just ignore everything in the bible

I'm just going to ignore you from now on if you don't want to have a serious discussion and don't want to have the decency of talking about my son getting his guts cummed on. Just because you're anonymous, does that mean you have no decency?

God stopped him from killing Isaac. Is everyone in this thread only pretending to be retarded?

>God demands Pharaoh release the jews.
>Pharaoh eventually agrees to free the jews.
>God spergs out and forces Pharaoh to keep the jews as slaves just so he can murder more Egyptians.

It's faith: the resurection of isaac was certain because he was the heir.
> i'm questionning the existence of God because i don't read Bible

But that I can't accept that either, sacrificing my own son, so that I could scapegoat the messiah.

>thinking that any jew is gods chosen people
>now knowing that extremely few people are the real chosen ones because God's chosen people are the Isrealites and not just any kike.

it was just a prank bro

Would christcucks willingly go to hell to save the soul of their son? Could going to hell ever be consider a noble thing?

Take yourself to plebbit, faggot.

This. I can't just ignore the entire bible when there's so many good things in it and there has to be a way of living if there is a God that created us.

abraham and isaac is an allegory about
the transpersonal father. It's a spiritual
story, not literal. It is a fact about a
stage in the hero's journey.

THE WHOLE THREAD IS NOT FUCKING POLITICAL RELATED SO WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE ON Sup Forums?

>How can I love a God who expects I put him, the creator and king of the entire universe and beyond, who had every right to wipe humanity off the map after they sinned but didn't because he loves us too much, before my son?

If you read carefully, you'll see that Pharaoh hardened his own heart and continued to oppress the Israelites, and then God steps in and gives him what he wants.

Actually I think you'll find it was an angel that stopped him :^)

Your question doesn't make any sense. If you are a believer in Christ you are going to be with him in heaven for eternity. One who believes in Christ cannot go to hell.

How are you defining hell, it's often misunderstood.

youtube.com/watch?v=vggzqXzEvZ0

He was just testing Abraham. He will never allow the sacrifice of people, or children - He isn't Moloch, after all. He just wanted to see how far Abraham will go to prove his devotion to Him. It was a simpler time back then and people were stupid and didn't know He wouldn't ask believers to sacrifice their children to Him. Of course, now we know, so His "tests" would be different.

The fuck are you smoking you stupid cunt, in the old testament Bible god's chosen people is a literal genetic lineage of people; the Jewish race. Christianity did away with this, Jews still believe it to this day.

The salvation of /pol is inevitable. A new heaven, a new earth, and a new /pol.

>So I told Abraham to go sacrifice his son, and he was actually going to do it, the absolute madman!

The Truth doesn't adjust itself to your beliefs and feelings. If you are an atheist then okay, what you are saying could be an argument (selecting a religion based on how well it fits into your world view and ideals) otherwise it is absurd.

If God is a three headed poodle that sends people to hell for playing Commander Keen on Wednesday then no matter how much you whine about it or how much it doesn't fit with your world view: that doesn't change the truth.

Just because a child doesn't agree with detention doesn't mean the principle doesn't exists, not matter how much of a tantrum the child throws.

Seriously fuck right off.
You have no business here you sensitive little faggot.

Because God sacrificed Himself on that very spot. Christ comes from Abraham's line and that of David and Moses. Adam's skull is buried right where Christ was crucified. This is why when your third temple comes it is the end of this world because you rejected Him. He wasn't womany yet warrior like enough for you. Because God is a woman according to you. And Adam used to have his own penisvagina before eve was created. Did Christ come from sex? No. Some kind of sex had us fall. Children will be punished sometimes. By the devil. For their parents' iniquities. God lets us breathe. Let us not EVER question His motives

Nigger, you realize Isaac was 33 and Abraham was over 100 years old right? 33 because Jesus was 33 when he died on the cross for your unrepentant depraved ass. It's like you retards only know the Bible from what some kike put on the T.V.

That's why we have Jesus Christ. He stands between us and his Vengeful, Never Understandable Father. Jesus mitigates all that stuff for us.

Jews worship the never understandable, terribly vengeful and whimsical power without anyone to temper or take their place and shelter them from His anger or whimsy.

they are political, not spiritual

God committed mass murder of defenseless children who never even had a chance of winning God's favor because they were non-Jewish goyim.

That is fucking evil.

Yes, but he intended for Abraham to intend to kill his son. Which makes Abraham guilty of intent to murder and God(in this story) a co-conspirator for ordering him. This is why I suspect this story of being false and possible planted in the bible as a test of faith.

But God makes it clear that killing is a sin even if that person will go to heaven. Not to mention the pain Issac would feel when being sacrificed. It's unthinkable.

>How can Christians justify worshiping a god that by a whim would have a man sacrifice his own son to prove his obedience?

You haven't read the bible so you don't know the context.

The Book of Kings is filled with stories of God's struggle against people who sacrificed their chidlren to pagan Gods. It literally happens over and over again.

God expressly forbids the practice dozens of times in the bible. It was the first and only religion of it's time to forbid human sacrifice.

God never intended for Abraham to sacrifice his child. It was all a test of loyalty and Abraham's character

Dude, have you read the old testament? Then you know that when the old testament lord says do something, you better fucking well do it no matter how batshit insane it seems to you. Or bad things happen to you and everyone who ever saw you or heard about you or even your family and country.

NOOOOOOOOPE. Those were nephilim bastards and if you're a super enough asshole why should your kids be protected and you not suffer even more for your iniquities? Being a sodomite is being a rapist asshole. Not being a faggot

He didn´t kill his son if I remember correctly.

Hiob is a far worse story though.
Cut short, God enters a pissing contest with the devil, the later which claims that Hiobs faith in god, is only because of the blessings he has. So god takes everything from poor hiob, who then still believes in him, proving the devil false.
Yay.
Pretty sure there are even more fucked up stories in there, but yours is extremely tame.

People do, man. Read Jeremiah for an example.

when i was little my mom said she would murder my sister and i if god told her to. we asked her what if it was a trick by the devil and she said she had faith god would never let her be decieved

baptists are nuts yo

Fuck jesus, praise kek.

God has proven himself to Abraham more than once. He knows that God is a God of love who is true to his word. Abraham at his advanced age was “as good as dead,” yet he bore children. Because of this he knows by faith that Ishmael is safe, just as he knows by faith that Isaac will be. Even if he can’t see how, he “reasoned that God was able to raise even from the dead.” just as he had brought forth life from a man as good as dead. And as Abraham is about to commit this deed, an Angel spares Isaac just as an angel had spared Ishmael.

yeah, but it provides a lesson. You cant put anything before god. Abraham being the father of Judaism had to have faithfulness toward the lord.

>by a whim
It wasn't by a whim.
> justify Abraham not refusing such a demand?
God told him to do it, that's enough.

This

For the love of all that is Holy. If you are going to parse a verse or take a book of the Bible, take some time to learn it's context. It changes everything.

Who is the author?
What was his knowledge about God?
Who was he talking to?
What was their knowledge about God?
What is the passage and book in general trying to teach us about God?

Too many folks need some catechism, and treat the Bible like a movie script to be believed or not.

They are books, written throughout history from a specific time and place and from author to audience.

They are compiled in something called "the Bible"

Take each book and study it as it's meant in it's context. Then you can actually get something out of it.

It was Isaac, not Ishmael, who was brought to the mountain, muslim scum.

You're missing the part where Abraham knew that God would raise Isaac from the dead:

Hebrews 11
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, “In Isaac your seed shall be called,”concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative sense.

Abraham had a dream, woke up the next morning, and set off to sacrifice Isaac.

Like a boss.

Oh so you have a problem with Egyptians? Okay how about the fact that God encouraged Jews after escaping Egypt to raid and pillage as brutally as they fucking pleased around the "promised land"

Really? Child sacrifice was not exactly uncommon in those days. The point of the story is that the God of Abraham was morally superior to the other gods. God spends like half the OT raging at Moloch worship.

>How can Christians justify worshiping a god that by a whim would have a man sacrifice his own son to prove his obedience?

Imagine being god. Imagine being able to tell the kikes to kill their children - and imagine them actually attempting to do it.

Now imagine what kind of faggot of a god you'd have to be to stop them.

But he didn't. Did you even read the goddamn story?

They can't.

You wouldn't, because you're not Abraham.

Abraham knew God would keep his promise of having Isaac be the father of millions of people. Isaac had no children. God said kill Isaac.

The one thing people here are not adding into the mix, and it should be, is that Abraham's elder son, Ishmael, the product of Abraham and his Egyptian slave Hagar, was also killed by Abraham's hand.

Or at least, that's what Abraham thought when he gave his jealous wife the power to exile Hagar and Ishmael into the desert, alone and with no supplies.

Had Jesus not intervened in Hagar and Ishmael's lives, they would have died.

So the real test is this.

God: Abraham, let's see if you'll kill the son of faith, the son I gave you, like you killed the son of the flesh, the one I had to save from your wife's hand.

And Abraham, knowing that Isaac had no children, but knowing God promised Isaac multitudes of children, knew that God would raise Isaac from the dead, if need be.

Abraham and God are friends. Think about that. God and man, friends.

Reading comprehension isn't your forte, is it?

Religion isn't cultural or political, really?

I offer history as proof.

Adding to that, if God says to wear orange, green and purple plaid shoes, wear orange, green and purple plaid shoes.

>be God
>set apart some land for your people to live in
>a bunch of baby sacrificing heretics are living there already
>know that if they don't get rid of these people, your people will adopt their abhorrent ways
>they don't get rid of them all
>eventually succumb to their customs, just like you said they would
>yfw

except, this entire thread proves that we can

Abraham didn't sacrifice him though. The whole point of the story is that God never intended to sacrifice Isaac. Sin kills our divine inocence, and makes God feel like Abraham felt just before the angel stoped him.

Close, leaf, but it's actually the skull of Goliath, severed by David, that was buried on the Hill of the Skull, Golgatha.

Hence the cross when planted atop it crushed the skull of the devil's champion, while Jesus' heel was bruised.

As to the rest, it has to just be put down on the record as coming from

A

FUCKING

LEAF

>I don't understand the action of humans that lived in a society thousands of years younger than my own and significantly primitive to my own
>HA! CHRISTIANS BTFO!

>justify worshiping a god
Because it's a fucking God.

Aye, Abraham was 100 when Isaac was born, and Isaac was indeed into his 30's when this incident occurred.

So we have a man, in his 30's, trudging up Mt. Moriah with wood on his back, to go to a place of sacrifice where the son will be killed at the father's hand. And the son goes willingly, as he clearly could have overpowered his 136ish year old father, unattended by any servants.

Truly a marvelous story; truly marvelous people.

Why would parents ever be asked to sacrifice their children for the greater good?

>be god
>kill children

wow so wise

so obviously divine

>he orders him to kill you.
>stepfather goes through with it
>Your father prevents him at the last minute.
Sounds like both your father and stepfather are terrible parents. I would rather live with my grandparents or go into foster care and just get molested.

It's even worse than that for the Jews; their covenant is broken and they refuse to enter into the New Covenant.

As Jesus said, he who has the Son also has the Father; but he who has not the Son also does not have the Father.

Jews and Mulsims both are delusional in thinking they worship the Father. Neither does. The Jews have nobody, and the muslims have the devil.

The Noah story was a re-telling of the Flood from the Epic of Gilgamesh from 2100 BC. Noah was Utnapishtim.

"Utnapishtim, or Utanapishtim, is a character in the Epic of Gilgamesh who is tasked by Enki (Ea) to abandon his worldly possessions and create a giant ship to be called The Preserver of Life. He was also tasked with bringing his wife, family, and relatives along with the craftsmen of his village, baby animals and grains.[1] The oncoming flood would wipe out all animals and humans that were not on the ship, a concept that was mirrored by the biblical story of Noah's Ark. After twelve days on the water, Utnapishtim opened the hatch of his ship to look around and saw the slopes of Mount Nisir, where he rested his ship for seven days. On the seventh day, he sent a dove out to see if the water had receded, and the dove could find nothing but water, so it returned. Then he sent out a swallow, and just as before, it returned, having found nothing. Finally, Utnapishtim sent out a raven, and the raven saw that the waters had receded, so it circled around, but did not return. Utnapishtim then set all the animals free, and made a sacrifice to the gods. The gods came, and because he had preserved the seed of man while remaining loyal and trusting of his gods, Utnapishtim and his wife were given immortality, as well as a place among the heavenly gods."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utnapishtim

Read the fucking Bible instead of watching the movie, you fucking pleb moron.

God was pleased because Abram was the only man on earth who actually proved that he feared the Lord.

If your children don't fear you they turn into abominable pieces of buttfucking filth.

It's because of men like Esau that didn't listen to what their dad said that we have Palestinians.

Read more.

can't we all get along? Abraham is my father too

And then God took each and every one of those children, dressed them as royalty, showed them to their mansions, and they live each day seeing the face of God.

Their lot is so much better than yours as to be without comparison.

You completely missed the point of not only that entire story you were referencing (and I doubt have read), but also my post.