MIT mapped conversations on Twitter to see the interaction between users during the election season...

MIT mapped conversations on Twitter to see the interaction between users during the election season. You can clearly see how trump's supporters have isolated themselves from outside discussion, criticism, and ideas. It is easy to imagine how a similar thing occurred with his supporters across other networks as well, especially this one.

If anyone is curious about the online "echo chamber" that helped him win the election, here it is:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Republic-com-Cass-R-Sunstein/dp/0691070253
youtube.com/watch?v=N3uHOHMTqJ8
washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2014/10/21/liberals-are-more-likely-to-unfriend-you-over-politics-online-and-off/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>isolated themselves from outside discussion, criticism, and ideas

Hmm, sounds just like liberal universities.

exactly. it's the very reason MIT will likely have difficulty truly analyzing any of this data without trying to use it as a battering ram to enforce their ideology

>trump's supporters have isolated themselves from outside discussion, criticism, and ideas
Once again, liberals get it backwards. Many of us were afraid to post pro-Trump stuff on our main accounts because of the liberal thought police, so we made accounts specifically for that purpose. That's what the red dot is.

Conservatives are less likely to use twitter.

When you have the entire mainstream pumping out bullshit for one candidate, of course the other side is going to look like an echo chamber

Clinton and Trump supporters. You can easily say that her supporters' echo chamber helped her to lose the election. Also..
>across other networks as well, especially this one.
Sup Forums is not a network. Nice try, NPR reporter. Looking forward to your in-depth investigation on the "alt-right's fake news generator" network.

Or maybe Trump supporters isolated themselves in defense of being attacked for their views.

The prevailing opinion at the time for Hillary supporters and those that support neither is that Trump and their supporters are idiots. Why would Trump supporters interact with such agressive people?

>Make protrump tweets
>Lose job and family
Wow sure wonder why we chose to create throwaway for this.

They followed both because Trump was likely to say something interesting and off the cuff while Hillary was a boring hollow plastic bag

amazon.com/Republic-com-Cass-R-Sunstein/dp/0691070253

Old news. This was predicted more than a decade ago

youtube.com/watch?v=N3uHOHMTqJ8

Both sides like pointing fingers, but what good does that do when everyone is at fault? Oh well. The psychological climate in murka is not suitable for democracy anymore.

>>implying that people won't simply pass around true information if they believe it's important.

>>hurrr hurrr look here at liberals having a broad horizon, something must be done to stop Russian propaganda!

>spend time twitter / reddit arguments with tards
vs
>awoo in a trump general

Is that hard to figure out? Is there anything more fun than a trump rally?

Weird bullsht like this gets rejected at MIT, where i go

Its prob some freshman cucks project

thistbhfam

If I posted anything even remotely critical of BLM or islam, I'd get instantly fired from my job and blacklisted from ever holding another job again.

we all read the memetic warfare documents from the NSA
we know that true believers are the most powerful force

Most of those Trump supporters (myself included) only jumped on twitter in the first place to see what Trump was tweeting about.

Hillary's legions of brainwashed collage kids were already there.

Trumps userbase was newer and found little else in twitter to entertain them, where as Hillarys user base were existing users who were signed up to tweets from obama and other cucks.

That's really all this graph shows.

or maybe i just followed him one day and i dont actually fucking use that trash site.

The type of person that votes for Trump doesn't give a shit about following Justin Beiber or Nicki Minaj. The only reason we are on twitter is for memes and to shill for Trump.

Vice covered this which is a refreshing switch from their fake news.

>Be libcuck
>Follow Trump
>Can get on your soapbox any time he says something interesting.

Yea no shit libs would follow Trump too.
No shit.

Our unions just reminded us that we better start getting pc or hr is going to start cracking down.

Work for the highest paying co in my field, field does not remotely translate to others

A lot of us made Twitter accounts just to fight the meme war. I never had a Twitter before, but I was LARPing as a cute redpilled asian girl all election.

hillary clinton had nothing worth "following" - as every tweet was written by 12 ghostwriters and one mole

I interpret it as Trump supporters being ostracized and censored.

>Is that hard to figure out? Is there anything more fun than a trump rally?

A Ron Paul rally?

Looks like an RTS mid-end game map that Trump's camp is dominating.

If we enter Twitter's weaker, unorganized circles, can we exploit this and start a Holy Crusade through left wing Twitter?

>follow both
>surely this show that you support Clinton, not Trump, otherwise there's too few real Clinton supporters

Seems pretty obvious to me, we had absolutely no policy debate this election season.

It's not like Trump supporters respect ANYTHING about liberals, that's why the elected Trump, it's just a big fuck you, nothing more.

>get called a racist sexist bigot just for posting pro-Trump tweets
>no rational discussion with libtards
>surprised that Trump's supporters don't want to interact with libtards anymore

wew lads. glad MIT worked this one out for us

(((verified journalist)))

Its almost like trump supporters get banned and blocked if they leave their containment area.

>(((verified journalist)))
99% of them are leftists. Even reporters from small town NPR stations get (((verified))) on Twitter when national right wing personalities can't.

This. I had a separate account for pro Trump posting to avoid ostracism.

Lies. Especially early on when we didn't quite know what to make of Trump, we'd be dissecting his every word and tweet trying to sift out policy implications and debating where to draw the line.

It was less interesting to rehash when he started doing policy rallies, but I very much doubt I'm alone in having listed to almost all of those ones to confirm that the more detailed stuff passed the smell test by and large.

>Trump supporter bubble
>Cross-over is considered Hillary support

MIT is pathetic.

Oh, so now MIT is involved in the vast conspiracy against Trump, eh?

You Trumpfags love to play the victim even after you've won

so you trump supporters actually believe you are being persecuted?

>conservatives live in an information bubble and tried to avoid inconvenient facts
>not liberals

Words cannot convey my disgust

>so you trump supporters actually believe you are being persecuted?

You blind or something?

>Not sharing information with the opposition is bad!
No. Enjoy your new president, cunts.

>shadowban Trump supporters, stopping them from interacting with people who aren't already following them.
>oy vey you guys really need talk to the other side more

A coworker of mine was fired from the hospital for telling BLM to fuck off and stop rioting. What do you think?

this graph only shows who followed Trump or Clinton

it doesn't mean they are supporter

I have had a twitter since 2009 but I never really posted on anything other then just using it as a login or some perk some other website was offering to log into twitter. However in 2015-2016 is when I started using it actively subbed to a fuckload of people for news and entertainment like Sam Hyde/MDE shit.

Also why the fuck would I want to be friends with a bunch of people who are just going to be critical of me every fucking second? People on twitter are god damn annoyingly retarded. Its just like with youtube why even fucking bother "debating" they are all worthless pieces of shit anyway.

That wasn't policy debate dude, Trump says a lot of stuff, backs away from some of it and leaves us to sort out what he means by everything.

People project a lot on him, everyone just makes assumptions on what his policy actually is.

I doubt they took into account how many troll accounts are spawned from /pol to strictly shill for trump.

>little follower overlap
So the opposite of an echo chamber then?

>A coworker of mine was fired from the hospital for telling BLM to fuck off and stop rioting.
i'm really skeptical that you are telling the whole story here

Also
>telling BLM to fuck off != supporting Trump

>it doesn't mean they are supporter
it kinda off does.

>isolated themselves

No,they were BANNED fuckwad.

Your JTRIG DEMORALIZE threads won't work here.

THE ONLY ECHO CHAMBER ON /pol
is the hole where we throw SOULS.

If you cannot see that much of the mainstream media, to some degree even Fox News, have been marching to an established narrative and trying to control common thought in this country, then you simply lack perception. Right wingers and nationalists have had no choice but to sequester off and form cohesive opposition as they are literally facing the largest, richest, globalist powers of this country.

Trump was more about an idea and a message than the man himself. That's why all of the character attacks we were blasted with for a year fell on deaf ears ultimately. He was the first to speak up and preach a pro-American, nationalist message and that's what stuck.

This trend will only accelerate as long as the media doubles down on their interests rather than the interests of your average American.

What difference does it make if the account is troll or not? It does not dismiss the study findings

Couple these with the antisocial tactics of Democrats in controlling the discussion: censorship, demonization, slander, etc., and you put people further on the defensive.

This election was entirely unfair for conservatives and they still won because they were righteous in belief.

Sounds like most every other politician to me. Clinton wasn't too big on policy either beyond a few talking points, shifting to adopt Trump's policies, and then using up her time telling everyone he'll never talk about policy or how pepes and russians were conspiring against her.

The entire cycle was kind of lean on substantive policy discussion; that's not a complaint uniquely applicable to Trump.

*CTR coordination and social media scripts were excluded from this report

>censorship, demonization, slander
And you think republicans and Trump supporters did not do the exact same things you enumerated?

More like Clinton didn't have any actual solid base that liked her, she is a corrupt sack of shit and all the people I know who voted for her realized that. I don't know anybody in real life who would actually dedicate themselves to her campaign like Trump supporters did

Everyone wanted to see Trump's shenanigans though. Only Clinton supporters followed Clinton, some hardly even did.

I've been able to keep my "far right" account since 2013 without getting permabanned because I take care not to follow or speak to lefties. When I used to do that I got banned once every two weeks on average no matter how polite my interactions.

your twitter got banned yet?

>You can clearly see how trump's supporters have isolated themselves from outside discussion, criticism, and ideas.

Indeed, but not from winning though

Since no one pointed it out, notice how the infographic refers to the Trump supporter cluster as the "far-right conservative cluster", in reference to its righthand position on this 2D map. Very sneaky

Isn't this because liberals unfriended them in the first place?

Yes it does. Troll accounts do not reflect all the connections a real person maintains. Therefore, will skew their study more toward their desired result. To show Trump supporters as informatively isolated and susceptible to fake news furthering their agenda.

It's because everyone attacks them without listening to them. Why would you talk to people who do that?

People have literally lost their jobs for supporting the guy.

We made our decision, kept our mouths shut, laughed at you faggots' dumb DRUMPF shit in public and pulled that lever when we were by ourselves.

Fuck you still saying we didn't listen to reason. YOU fucking never listened to any of OUR points. Get more Neil Degrasse Tyson faggot science Twitter (((research))) about why you're better when you support amnesty and want American Citizenship to be a right and not a privilege, all the while destabilizing the Mid East and bringing all the leftovers home to build mosques in our fucking small towns.

I SAID SUCK A DICK

Sup Forums puppet accounts. Who give a shit.

>of course the other side is going to look like an echo chamber

What op failed to mention is that both sides look that way.

>Having twitter

Gee it's almost as if those pro trump accounts were mostly politically driven and half the country is hostile to the lies of the media.

REALLY MAKES YOU THINK

:)

I love this. That breakdown you had when reality crashed into your safe space wasn't because you're in a bubble, the rest of the country is. Jesus. They can't into introspection at all.

Oh and I thought they deleted right wing shill accounts so how does that fit with their view out the padded room? They really only think one statement at a time don't they? Can't cross reference a single statement.

>Troll accounts do not reflect all the connections a real person maintains.
It reflects the connection the person behind WANTS to maintain. For some purposes troll accounts are even better for this sort of study.

>Or maybe Trump supporters isolated themselves in defense of being attacked for their views.

My recollection is that they were being isolated by others quite a bit.

Of course it does

>Follow Trump and be friends with leftists
>Get your account suspended/banned

>Follow Hillary
>Get bored

>Follow Trump with an account giving away your real name
>Be ostracized by your friends and coworkers

>Be redneck who despises Twatter
>Make account for first time because Trump is hilarious

I could come up with even more explanations. I know it is speculative. But regarding the fact, that almost half the country voted for the man I highly doubt, that it was just some minority in an echo chamber. The proposed narrative of it being Hillary voters, undecided voters and Trump voters doesn't fit the numbers.

Also ridiculous: you'd think the academic elite would have guessed by now, that not everyone is an urban hipster who takes pride in his social media and can be evaluated by his digital profile. A lot of people don't have facebook or twatter.

>clinton supporters call anybody else racist, sexist, xenophobe, homophobe, etc
>wonder why nobody wants to interact with them
I used to think MIT students were bright fellas

This. Twitter networks haven't been a useful source of information since the GG Blockbot came out.

all of the pro trump account talk nothing but trump and politics. literally none talking about their personal lives or socializing. very few uses their real names and a large majority of the accounts wew made less than a year ago

In what way does troll accounts skews the results of this study?

Clinton supporters block trump supporters

This.

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.
Ever seen a liberal / lefty OTRI? They block, censor, ban and mute. The only reason they got some red dots is so they can make extremely bad memes and criticize the God Emperor for spelling mistakes.

And Trump supporters don't block Hillary supporters?

>inb4 no

>It reflects the connection the person behind WANTS to maintain.
I wouldn't say that Trump supporters preferred to have to hide their views behind troll/sock puppet accounts, but rather they NEEDED to in order to avoid being attacked and persecuted. You know like when they were getting egged at rallies?

They wanted to express their views, but in order to do so safely they needed to create alternative accounts.

Or, or--- maybe it's because Clinton was a uncharismatic dumb bitch that no one actually supported or like, but just voted for because she was the 'Not Trump candidate'.

There you go, that's the reason.

Honestly, try debating a leftoid on twitter. They are mainly ad homs and at 140 characters a minute whats the fucking point? At best they will just regurgitate the garbage they hear in the media as if you didn't hear about it. Anyone with a twitter can atest to that. The far right twitter is by far more interesting anyway with niches like dingoe twitter and fashy UK twitter. Leftist twitter is as stale as SNL skit trying to be funny, is a creative void, and just boring signaling. Nigger twitter is just garbage, normie pop culture twitter is gay. On far right twitter you feel the banter among each other, the comradeship and only need to leave to trigger some leftoid who half the time will refuse to engage you, I don't give a fuck what CNN says about hillary "whipping and nay naying" the media are overpriced jokes.

trumpcucks here make threads urging the mods to delete and ban lefty threads all the time.

Nobody called you a faggot yet so here goes, faggot.

You're a faggot. Get out of my echo chamber you fucking nigger.

So liberals attack Trump supporters daily; refuse to date them, threaten to get them fired, refuse to rent apartments to them.

Then when Trump supporters don't want anything to do with them.

>hurr durr they're in an information bubble guys

That's some real fucking genius you got there, MIT.

>This retarded cuck again
(You)

>spergs quantified Sup Forums

Nope. This can only be done by becoming one of us. Our culture is too obscure to be understood without being an insider. We're not closed to other ideas, we just don't care about them. We control the culture of humanity.

>>inb4 no
Not nearly as often no.

washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2014/10/21/liberals-are-more-likely-to-unfriend-you-over-politics-online-and-off/

inb4ing doesn't make an argument bad or wrong.

>I wouldn't say that Trump supporters preferred to have to hide their views behind troll/sock puppet account
Of course they do. If they didn't preferred, then they would not use proxy accounts

> but rather they NEEDED to in order to avoid being attacked and persecuted. You know like when they were getting egged at rallies?
Some people would call this cowardice

>MIT said it, so it must be true.

Go prep jamal dude.

>calls others names like the little sperg he is
>surprised when people blocks him on twitter
good thing GR3 isnt enforced here or else you'll be told to fuck off to Sup Forums

Cry about it to your tripfag buttbuddy

To the same degree? No, not at all. A lot of people were quite literally scared to say they were voting for Trump. People getting blocked, fired, and beat up for their views.

>washington post is a valid source whenever it suits my pre conceived views

Also
>self reported poll

Reminder this tripfag can't even admit that white people created western civilization

>demonization
Trump supporters demonized Hillary often ("If hillary wins USA will be Mexico 2020", "Hillary protected Bill Clinton from sex scandals", "Hillary is literally the devil" and so on)

>slander
The emails affair was pure slander