Confederate flag

Civil war. Someone here says it was only about slavery. Please redpill me on the Confederate flag and what it actually represents

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qn08eHrl0h0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Please help. So I can prove this lib wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=qn08eHrl0h0

It represents banker fucks trying to take what don't belong to them.

Civil War was more so the South being concerned with how the assimilation of blacks would affect society and their way of life. The confederate also represents a states right to succeed from the union and become independent.

Thanks for the quick response senpai

>Please help. So I can prove this lib wrong
1. Nypa

2. You don't argue to prove your emotional point.
Especially when you aren't trying to find the better of two mutually exclusive conclusions.

3. How the fuck do replies on Sup Forums prove someone wrong? Unless you mean "do my diligence for me" in which case, refer to 1.

I seriously hope you only listen to this garbage ironically

Fury was a decent war action flick.

I don't need to prove anything. My family fought for the Confederacy and I'm not going to piss on their graves. If somebody doesn't like it they can burn in Hell.

The "confederate flag" that a lot of people think of is a 20th century invention. It's similar to the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia commanded by Robert E. Lee. The "confederate flag" for decades after the civil war was a very somber object and symbol. It was only taken out during times of memorial or remembrance. Then the 1950's happened and there was a flag "fad". The "confederate flag" became a symbol of general rebellion in our pop culture--rebellion over any and everything. This fad reached as far as Europe. It wasn't until the civil rights movement of the 60's that the flag became a symbol of reaction. Sure, the KKK would occasionally trot out the "confederate flag" but that wasn't mainstream by any means.

The cause of the American Civil War is entirely different topic. Slavery was a big part of it, but there's more depth to it.

The type of response I was hoping for. Thanks fampai.

You're welcome. Anything else? I'm from MS btw. I have lots of material. The Civil War is kind of the big event for southerners. It's the one event where there's a clearly defined "before" and "after."

You know how US citizens are proud of the fact that they as a body of people can reject their government if they want? Well the Confederate flag was a symbol of a time when that happened. it doesn't matter that they lost, what matters is its physical evidence of the event taking place and its use was tied to the notion of that mindset being alive and well. it was citizens telling all to see that they keep a weathered eye on the government.

It being outlawed says way way more than it being accepted in the first place. I didn't like the flag myself but it actually did stand for something. You might have to be from the US to "get it" though.

Its like the riftle vs. drone arguement for 2nd amendment guys. It doesn't matter that the drone will kill you indiscriminately, its showing the whole world you aren't a cuck as you die on your feet when everyone else is on their knees.

Indeed. The 2nd amendment was originally conceived as a means to prevent tyranny, specifically against the federal government. In the modern era it has evolved to serve as a symbol of non-compliance. A "Red Dawn" scenario is an entertaining though adolescent thought. I don't know what legislation or act of government could force that kind of non-compliance. It's not a healthcare bill or the top marginal tax bracket being elevated from 35% to 39%. I don't know what that "tyranny" looks like or would look like, but I'm certainly glad we still have that spirit to appreciate that symbol.

That was perf man. I knew that it didn't stand for what many people think it does. I just couldn't remember how it ended up being associated with slavery. I knew a dude that has one hanging in his living room and i remember him laughing his ass off when someone asked why he was such a racist referring to the flag. He explained then that it's not what it means at all but couldn't remember what he'd said.

Fuck. Good response. Thank you.

The South was developing it's own international economic presence, basically it was becoming independent from, and in some ways superior to, the North in their international trade.

The North controlled the tax and tariff policy of the nation, and the North started treating the South like a tax farm, the north was exploiting the South, to gain the tax money (from the South's imports from Europe) for the economic benefit of Northern elites (like the cuck Lincoln)

"Slavery" was just a propaganda talking point the north used to demonize the South. Lincoln was an admitted white supremacist, and only used the slavery issue, as I said, as a propaganda tool against the south, and the freeing of the slaves, as a way to economically cripple the south, in a time of war. (the Northcucks invaded the South)

Basically the North made the South their bitch, and the South tried to get a divorce to get out of that awful arrangement, but KEK did not bless us, and the South has been fucked by the cucked Northrons ever since/

My last bit of advice would be to take the high road and concede the simple truth that symbols' meanings can change over time. The VP of the Confederacy, Alexander Stevens, was quoted saying that their "cause" was entirely identifiable with the cause of slavery. That was certainly true for the confederate leadership. The regular confederate soldiers however viewed southern secession as the 'Second War of Independence.' They were fighting for a new national identity.

In the North, while the leadership successfully used abolition as a rallying cry for popular support for the war, the Union was always politically weak and most people forget that. There was rioting, people didn't pay their taxes, Lincoln had to draft practically everyone. Also, while the northern leadership used slavery as their 'cause celebre' they left nothing to the imagination in their writings during and after the war. The north leadership always viewed the Civil War not as a grand moral cause but as an effort to suppress a rebellion. Political separation was intolerable, not slavery. Luckily the northern leadership, Lincoln especially, was politically astute enough to take action when it counted. Every southerner I know loved Spielberg's Lincoln because it was accurate.

So the two sides in the civil war fought for different aims, the leadership and the regular folk were also fighting for different causes.

>Every southerner I know loved Spielberg's Lincoln because it was accurate.

What's wrong with that statement? Besides being true? Also the movie was accurate. The scene near the beginning when Lincoln and Seward meet the couple from Missouri spoke volumes. They expressed the popular sentiment of the time. Whites it the North didn't like blacks and were terrified they'd come flooding out of the southern states to the north in the event of the end of slavery. Also, they wanted the war to end. The end of slavery was viewed by the common folks as a means to facilitate the end of hostilities.

It means whatever you want it to mean as it is a symbol and humans denote meaning onto symbols. Historically a lot of people used it as the flag of the southern confederate states. People calling it a "symbol of racism" are wrong because current day the symbol means "I'm a redneck" just like the swastika not being an inherently racist symbol we've just given it that meaning ourselves.

It represents a failed state run by literal Jew that was full of racially impure degenerates

Except you didn't bother to even expel the kikes and niggers/part-niggers