Finnish Winter War

Can we take a minute and discuss the Finnish winter war? How did they manage to BTFO of Russia so hard?

Pic related: goofing off during the war

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iLTpKs2ylP4&ab_channel=Piscator
youtu.be/yHrndb0oZEc
youtube.com/watch?v=hFtcERLYbDA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Russia was still using ww1 tactics. Mass charges against machine guns. Wow, so hard to kill them. Russia still got the land they wanted, though it cost them.

They had Simo, that's how.

>Russia was still using ww1 tactics. Mass charges against machine guns

Both of these are false.

How to explain winning against tanks with 0 anti tank weapons?

Tall people BTFO

Literally chinkier than me, a literal chink. Nice moustaches though.

1. Happened to be like the coldest winter in century
2. The first wave of Soviet troops sent here were relocated Ukrainian battalions whose leadership had been purged by Stalin
3. Soviets attacking here had no morale to do so
4. Finns had high as fuck morale, for obvious reasons

Anyone can look what happened in Continuation War in 1941 when Soviets started pushing their real troops after they had BTFO German Barbarossa. We declared war on Germany and accepted all Soviet demands

Wait a minute; is that fucking John Wayne in the background?

Shitty roads and dense forests meant that the russians would get bogged down and separated through the parts of karelia they were attacking.

Once the russians were isolated, the finns would swarm them and pick them off. I believe the term they used is "Motti tactics".

ussr was not prepared for -40 grad winter war, stupid generals that used ww1 tactics, in March 1940 it was a different soviet army as in november 1939. Most casualties in soviet army were because of frost, hunger, infections etc.

Motti tactics didn't hurt

>Trying to cuck based Finland
Pretty much the Japs of Europe, good luck.

Weaponized autism. They had a snow eating manlet who was death incarnate.

1. retarded jewish commanders , because all russian commanders with exp of ww1 was obviosly executed
2. retarded Stalin
3. literally all army group were from south parts of USSR , in general from ukraine
4. Line of Mannerheim, not so strong , but assault of any fortifications during winter is...well only retarded stalin and jewish generals can start this.
5. Finngols is lords of war

You actually, unironically thought this image was from winter war?
AHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, that is bullshit for a number of reasons. First of all, snipers need background noise to avoid detection when firing.
Second of all, operating alone in the wild with no background noise of combat at short range (no optics) = dead sniper.
There is a very simple reason why both German and Soviet snipers operated in combat and urban zones.
Finally, no cross-confirmation, the basis of accepting claim. Propaganda bullshit.

Half his kills were with a Suomi KP/-31. It isn't what you are picturing.

Everyone fought for Finland

The Finnish commanders were actually ex-Russian Imperial ranking soldiers. People that actually had experience.
>BTFO
I mean Finland still lost, but they did much better than expected

i love you russia never change

>Weaponized autism. They had a snow eating manlet who was death incarnate.
Häyhä was only a prototype.

A submachine gun sniper? Wow, the stories get better. By 2100 he will have become a knife armed, tank-wrecking manlet.

>mean Finland still lost
This is something people tend to overlook. It isn't like they repelled the Russian invasion, they just made them bleed for every inch of ground they took. It is impressive nonetheless.

>implying we actually could have defeated Soviet Union
I mean Germans have them a wild ride but still lost, our army was nothing compared to Germans. Also as far as I remember, no other former Soviet union or Russian empire country have done the same as we did

That was my point. The word sniper is probably not really appropriate here.

HAIL ISANMAA

Actually one could argue that the Russians beat Germany thanks to the experience they gained in Finland.
So thanks I guess.

ELAGU ISAMAA!

Btw Finns are notorious bullshitters. Their even more encumbered Brewster Buffaloes (crap plane) and G50 (Italian crap) somehow shot down everything from Polikarpovs to Yaks to Hurricanes and Spitfires. They claimed Soviet P-38s and Mustangs hahahahahah, none of which were delivered to USSR.

With all the tech modern Snipers have, can you really call them "Snipers" either?
I'd call them more like Accuracy Rifle Operators, when the tech does 99% of the job.

when a country is so small to begin with gets invaded by a much larger one, its pathetic to consider it a "loss". and what about "overlook"? no one overlooks the land finland had to compromise, not anyone who knows shit about shit at least

please know that

How is it not? I see finnish people in it

What the fuck is John Wayne doing there?

what is with this butthurt poster, did they deny your cousins permission for pizzeria in Finland or something?

That's John Wang. Famous Finnish general.

>did they deny your cousins permission for pizzeria in Finland or something?

because the soviets were fucking retarded just like in the war with germany

but they're penchant for how much they wanted to commit to war there was less

germany was just overrun with massive amounts of retardation

i wonder whos behind that post

>not anyone who knows shit about shit at least

A lot of people have heard about Simo Häyhä, but don't know shit about shit.

Maybe true, but the point here is the opposite. It's not like he camped in a few spots and killed an advancing battalion, he was more like a specter moving through the woods picking off any unfortunate soldiers or small groups that got separated. Like a natural predator would

kek

No, just making fun of Finnish Air Force bullshit claims. Like downing a Soviet Spitfire, Mustang, Yak-9 or Lightning with a Brewster Buffalo or G.50, absolutely atrocious planes
Or a lone single submachine gun/rifle iron sight sniper wiping out a regiment over 100 days.
Or StuG company overclaiming by a factor of 10.

hahaha when did you graduate from the War College???? lawl

holy shit they do look like mongols!!!

checked and kek'd

Sure, but I think that user had this Hollywood image of a sniper and thought the story was that he was just sitting there picking off hundreds of guys from a mile away across an open field with iron sights. From what I understand most of these engagements were not particularly long range due to the environment.

You're an imbecile if you believe this. Go ask actual war veterans or snipers how it is.

No clue about ranges.
Russkies didn't have skis, it was trivial for Häyhä to disengage after making the shot.

derete this picture now

>ywn use ruskies for biathlon target practice

>Simo
That fucking beast of a man makes every commie wet themself from fear.
It's no surprise they called him "White Death"
youtube.com/watch?v=iLTpKs2ylP4&ab_channel=Piscator

Finns even used Psychological warfare by making red popsicles.

youtu.be/yHrndb0oZEc
This

Dude in the back legit looks exactly like John Wayne as Genghis Khan.

Having sami parents makes you a manlet?

wtf do you mean with "0 anti tank weapons".
we had tons. pic related.

He didn't use just a sniper. It's a disingenuous moniker. You are being willfully obstuse

Manlet detected

Pic related best anti tank weapon

>no cross-confirmation
There is a Samoan song about his valiant deeds in battle. He's pretty legit.

What if I told you it IS John Wayne as Genghis Khan?

>How did they manage to BTFO of Russia so hard?
But Russia won this war. Before the war USSR demanded to move border away from Leningrad to 5 km. After the war they lost 12% of their territory. People are dead, land remains.

And now that area is dead wilderness. Good job.

Vyborg is not.

>Be Russia
>Take a flourishing economic area
>Turn it into a worthless swamp
Bravo

Daily reminder that Sweden betrayed their brothers and didn't join the war on Finland's side. I have unending respect for the Swedes who volunteered to fight. If your neighbor and friend gets invaded you don't sit idly by.

Been hearing it's getting a little better lately. Was pretty ragged.

>tfw grandparents had to flee from viipuri

Wtf I love manlets now.

Mine too

Thanks.

found the butthurt red

Finnish had effectively winterized their guns, equipment, clothing. Even had xc skis.

Mannerheim line was incredibly well defended.

Russian military leadership was still lacking at this time from the great purges of 1937 and onward.

Molotov Cocktail was actually invented by the Finns during this time, fun fact.

It was tough - we had to give up alcohol to compensate for not having anti-tank weaponry. Let this be a lesson to everyone - ALWAYS, have anti-tank weaponry.

afaik it was molotov had been used previously, e.g. Spain, but they made up the name.

Yet, similarly in the Continuation War the Soviet pushes were stopped into a halt. The Soviets tried to break the line in three different areas at the end, yet they had no success. I wonder why?

I believe Spain used some petrol-based "bombs", but the recipe and name came during winter war.

As in, Spaniards had used the basic idea, but Finns perfected it.

Were you involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda?

Was this Croatia invaded by some other countries in the past?

Most of the sniping kills were made in the trench-line areas.

partly because Finland has a nonexistant infastructure. Russian units could atleast in Winter only move large units at the few and narrow roads

fucking finns

pieces of wood and fucking moltov cocktails are not normie anti tank weapons.

FFS

source?

Stalin's purges left counry with next to no expirienced leadership.

Whats wrong with them? They work well and we actually had great success with them.

You have to use what you have, even if they aren't good. We're not a huge superpower like you are

>source?

wrong they are infantry anti tank weapons. Also the finns had a lot on grenade rifles which could penetrate and immobilize the weakly armored russian tanks

The Lahti rifles were used mainly as anti-material rifles and sometimes as anti-air. Anti-tank rifles just couldn't penetrate tank armor anymore.

>How did they manage to BTFO of Russia so hard?
They didn't. They lost, and badly -- had to cede crucial territory and pay reparations.

The "BTFO" is them losing not immediately. (A surprisingly good showing compared to something like Sweden, which would have capitulated in three days.)

Finnish pros:
-winter tactics were present
-motti-tactics invented for the northern front
-many civilians were good shooters due to Civil Guards(Simo Häyhä for example trained in Civil Guards)
-leading general Mannerheim had had good experience in Czar's army
-efficient use of artillery
-excellent pilots
-high morale
-not much boozing among troops
-skies, everybody knew how to ski
-white winter-camouflage clothing for some
-hard landscape to occupy, especially in the North where roads were narrow
-good landscape to defend, especially in the South with lots of lakes breaking the landscape

Finnish cons:
-poor equipment, few tanks, few airplanes, not much artillery, not much ammunition, especially for artillery, but also for rifles
-some people only got a rifle and a cocard, everything else their own

Soviet pros:
-lots of equipment, tanks, airplanes, artillery, ammunition
-lots of men

Soviet cons:
-all generals with experience purged
-war fought on political decisions forcing the war decisions
-some units poorly equipped for the winter, especially in the North
-low morale
-booze occasionally given to troops going to the battle

Back in WW2, Finland had a population of 3 million, yet people judge us on the same standard as huge world powers. Feels bad man

Just because you used them to good effect doesn't mean they're "real" antitank stuff.

You could have used bazookas and panzerfausts

youtube.com/watch?v=hFtcERLYbDA

>had Soviet army get all the way to their capitol
>Finns end up begging for peace

>somehow years later idiots think the finns won that war...
>(insert retard country) education yall.

positioning and doctrine ruled the air in ww2. If you know when the fighters are coming, you can prepare with altitude.
Getting shot in the back, or being a shitty pilot can and did happen, especially for low quality russian airmen.

>bazookas and panzerfausts
Literally for fags. Finns fucked shit up with wood and petrol. Rittew Mongorian Rambos.

Again, you have to use what you have. We didn't still don't have fresh new technology that you had back then and have now. Is reading something that they don't teach in USA?

During Winter War Lahti actually worked against Soviet tanks, too bad they had only few prototypes. Once they had plenty during Continuation War they had been made mostly redundant.