Complete placebo effect

>Complete placebo effect
>Doesn't change your attitude at all
>Has incredibly unbearable withdrawal symptoms that forces you to keep taking them anyway
Are SSRIs the world's greatest scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

raypeat.com/articles/articles/serotonin-depression-aggression.shtml
scientificamerican.com/article/the-rise-of-all-purpose-antidepressants/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

All medical evidence says the work faggot

They're inferior to talk therapy, sure, but they're cheaper.

lolwat no it doesn't.

In metareviews antidepressants usually only get about a 20-30% success rate.

MAOI's are usually a little better but you'll die of a heart attack from eating a gram of cheese.

Your #1 and #2 contradict each other.

For people with *severe* depression, they're better than placebo.

Except Paxil, which is dangerous garbage.

Zoloft changed my life for the better.

i tried some of my friends zoloft, and that shits definitely not placebo. withdrawal fucked me up in a major way. it's pretty much trash, would not recommend

SSRI's SERIOUSLY tamper with your brain chemicals.

It is a PROFOUNDLY dangerous, and antiquated approach to view and treat mood/emotional disorders as the mere result of chemical imbalances. Its absolutely self serving (on the part of pharmaceutical companies) to disseminate an entire culture of psychological treatment and collect thought, that views the human mood/emotion as simply a product of neurotransmitter activity.

SSRI's are a treatment that SOLELY relies on tampering with your brains "source code" (i.e. nuerotransmitters) to elicit fake or manufactured feelings.

True psychological treatment for mood disorders MUST treat them individually and as with behavior therapy, where the mind is reconditioned or LEARNS healthy patterns. No chemical will ever "induce" this state, and become a life-long solution. Ever.

SSRI's and barbituates (anxiety treatment) have shattered the minds and bodies of those who take them. The pharmecuetical industry is pure quackery and evil. full stop.

I took antidepressants for 2 years. Definitely not placebo. But they dont make you happy all of a sudden, more like they make you just stop giving a shit about things.

And thats why I stopped taking them, because I stopped giving a shit about things like my career and life goals.

I took it for a while and it never did anything for me didn't notice any symptoms taking it or even when I suddenly stopped

Yes, the FDA has known since the mid eighties they don't work, yet approved them.Another study came out a few years ago showing some people are genetically predetermined to have suicidal ideation and violent outbursts. Then they act surprised when something like Columbine happens, lol.

What withdrawal symptoms are there? I took Prozac for a year and then suddenly stopped and nothing. Other than feeling better being off it

Everyone that i know that has taken them ended up more fucked up before they took them. This one girl I'm friends with was put on an ssri, and they just made her anxiety/depression way worse over the course of a few weeks, then she want back to the way she was before taking the pill. Her doctor tried telling her that the pill was finally working, but i think that it's just an illusion. Most doctors are know-nothing drug pushers and will give you an ssri if you hint that you're depressed.

Nausea, vomiting, flu like symptoms, brain zaps, etc.

Yes. Try test instead

I take this shit, apparently like 80% of people could switch from their SSRI to this because it pretty much does the same thing.

Worst "withdrawal" I've had was a terrible migraine

Anyone else here take this?

You realize thats overpriced folate, right?

lol wtf is that. just take methylfolate

I hear Wellbutrin is good

Well, the other types of folate are like 800 mcg, this shit is like 15 mg
I can't, I have some fucked genetics and I only absorb like 30% of normal methylfolate

I took Zoloft for about a year. At first I just felt normal. No suicidal thoughts. Life seemed alright. Then I had to up the dosage because it wasn't working as well. Then I stopped caring about everything and my dick stopped working. So I got off of those and was put on Effexor and that's when life went to shit. I felt absolutely nothing. So I got off of that. Horrible withdrawal effects and to boot, it messed up my gi tract. And now I have IBS forever. Yay.

It can be, but its fairly activating. If you're someone who struggles with suicidal ideation it can be dangerous without close supervision.

Yeah, but its still folate. I'm not against supplementation, but I've never had a patient who really did well with only alternative medicines.

There are several mechanism that are responsible for depression. SSRIs are good at treating once of these mechanisms, excessive reuptake of serotonin. The reason why they only have a 15% success rate over placebo is because only 15% of cases of depression are from excessive reuptake of serotonin. I have studied neuropsychopharmacology for years and even did research in it in college. SSRIs have their place, but they are over prescribed to people they are not useful to. Feel free to ask any questions.

I'm actually withdrawing from Effexor right now. Every time I move my eyes, I feel the sensation of electricity/vibration in what feels like the space between my temples. Aside from that, mostly nausea, vomiting, confusion, and agitation. It lasts about a month or so.

>That's what I get for having a black doctor

i'm really sensitive to pretty much everything, but yeah my friend said they didnt do anything for him either
>SSRI's SERIOUSLY tamper with your brain chemicals.
yeah thats exactly why i stopped, i could tell there was actual long term damage being done to my brain.

raypeat.com/articles/articles/serotonin-depression-aggression.shtml

>2016
>falling for the serotonin meme

I've been taking sertraline (zolosoft) for months since my girlfriend killed herself and I don't feel any better at all. May as well swallow sugar tablets every day.

i also have that mutation. take methylfolate and hydroxocobalamin

"Three years before Prozac received approval by the US Food and Drug Administration in late 1987, the German BGA, that country's FDA equivalent, had such serious reservations about Prozac's safety that it refused to approve the antidepressant based on Lilly's studies showing that previously nonsuicidal patients who took the drug had a fivefold higher rate of suicides and suicide attempts than those on older antidepressants, and a threefold higher rate than those taking placebos."

"Using figures on Prozac both from Lilly and independent research, however, Dr. David Healy, an expert on the brain's serotonin system and director of the North Wales Department of Psychological Medicine at the University of Wales, estimated that "probably 50,000 people have committed suicide on Prozac since its launch, over and above the number who would have done so if left untreated."

The Boston Globe, 2000.

You have what they call "brain zaps". I get them too when I am off zoloft for more than a day. I want to try to get off zoloft, Prozac never did that to me

I was on that shit for a year user, it was a good crutch but made me not give a shit about anything. The withdrawals were fucking horrible, I tried quitting once and woke up every night having panic attacks. Quit cold turkey and smoked copious amounts of pot to cope

>talking with friends and family costs money

What is the major cause of depression?

Antidepressents don't create moods, they neutralize moods.

Started taking Effexor. If I miss to take them I have to hold back the hulk the next day. It's what I imagine roid rage is like

Friends and family are excellent support systems, but they tend to be shitty talk therapy. Thats doubly true when you're dealing with a legitimate mood disorder.

Yeh the withdrawl is horrible but i'm on 150mg per day now and it's doing jack shit :( I have doubts 200mg is going to do anything either. I might kill myself soon anyway to be where she is so it might not matter

you forgot to mention it stops boys from generating testosterone

it should be banned

I was on them for about a year before I quit. I didn't find it hard at all to quit. All I did was slowly ramp down my dosage and I quit in about a month.

In the end they did help, but dont expect them to fix everything. I would only think about taking them if you are in really bad shape.

Literally the first warning you get when being thrown on these things is to report if you start becoming suicidal or more depressed.

At one time, I was put on Abilify, Wellbutrin, and some other one that was supposed to work with them. This lasted about 10 months, and I didn't notice any significant differences, good or bad. When I went off them, the same (no)thing happened. I dunno what they do for other people, but I'd like to know/feel what exactly the big deal is about having or not having your meds.

Only trust simple medications, baring major illnesses. Zycam is homeopathy because the FDA won't approve it, but it works for its purpose (shortening the duration of a cold) because it's simply a fuckton of zinc.

I was on 150 and considering going up before I quit cold turkey. Working out is a lot cheaper and basically cured my depression plus a gym membership costs about the same as the meds. Staying on them isn't worth it and they'll make you feel crazy while you're quitting but it's better than being addicted to the pharmajews happy pills.

>wellbutrin
>zoloft
>folate
>methylfolate
>effexer
>ssri
>maoi
how the fuck do you people know so much about chemicals???

Depression isn't monolithic. Especially in severe depression, you're talking about two different clusters of symptoms happening at the same time. The first is what we think of as depression: the sadness, the feelings of worthlessness, the suicidal thoughts. The second are negative symptoms: lack of motivation, lack of energy, poor attention, an inability to engage in pleasurable activities.

SSRIs address the negative symptoms more quickly. When that happens, what you have is someone who is still hopeless, still sad, still feels as if they would be better off dead, but now suddenly finds themselves with the energy and attention to do something about it.

SSRIs don't create suicidal ideation, they clear the path for a suicide attempt in someone who already has suicidal ideation.

There are entire communities online dedicated to discussing the fact that these SSRI's gave them permanent, sometimes painful withdrawal symptoms after years of use.

Headaches, vomiting, brain zaps, etc. They're documented and real.

Its literally a part of my job.

Yeh I don't like being on things like that but I feel like what happened has just made my brain totally fucked up and i can never sleep and have constant feelings of guilt from the second i wake up

Well, you're wrong friend. I developed suicidal tendencies while on Prozac way back when I was a teenager. I didn't before taking it, and years later I don't anymore.

>chemical jew
>instead of going for a daily walk and learn how to deal with your emotions

I took prozac for almost a year for anxiety. It worked really well for that, but it made my dick soft (and I'm only 19). I stopped a few months ago because of this and it got better within a week, but I've never fully recovered. On the plus side, I can last 30+ minutes in bed now. Don't think it was worth it though. Pretty shitty side effects.

yes, and they are very much contributing to the decline of modern women. i cannot tell you how much trouble i've had with women over their fucking anti-depressants

it's like chemical circumcision

I went six years with worsening depression and anxiety, worked two paying jobs, three voluntary, and passed a year of vocational college. Started another college course, hit crisis point, finally caved and sought medical help, was put on an SSRI.
Suffered a multitude of negative symptoms, dissociation, panic attacks, hypomania, diminished impulse control.
Ended up a shut-in drop-out, self-harming regularly, sporadically binge drinking.
Ended up in hospital, came off them, tried to recover.
Slipped again, was put on another SSRI, suffered the same symptoms.
Came off that one, passed driving test, got back into college, but I have been completely financially dependent on, and have lived with, my parents ever since.
I've never felt the same since.
I feel like I've had my entire personhood dragged through the fucking dirt, I've been stripped of every last shred of pride, self-respect and self-esteem.
The pay-off for all of the years I spent trying to deal with my problems myself, completely written off the moment I tried to reach out for help and was met with nothing but patronising dismissiveness from medical professionals and exasperated frustration from my family.
I let my baggage get so big that it's unreasonable of me to expect anyone help shoulder the burden. And those drugs didn't help one bit...
Just left trying to convince myself all I need to do is make it through this year of college without dropping out again, just get connections while I'm in, get back into work, and trying to convince myself that I'll somehow be happy then, because all I want to do now is fucking kill myself.
Shit changes you.
Be careful.

i heard that lexapro is not so bad and easy to get off of. is this accurate? anyone else taking lexapro?

>he thinks daily walks can cure all cases of depression

Hey grandpa

You should email some universities about your breakthrough discovery m8.

Hi abi

When I stopped I could get a boner just fine as I always could

It's a start, we all hate our lives but we should learn how to deal with these emotions instead of trying for the easy way out with the chemical jew.

It's the only way to be happy.

Im on 100mg zoloft, sometimes when i feel shittier i take more. It silences the inner monologue that keeps repeating:"Life is pointless, kill yourself and be done with it". Does kill the sex drive tho.

I'm glad I dodged that shit then, I work at a thrift store and a couple of times I've got weird moldy bags of stuff that contain diaries, and both expressed panic at the thought of not being able to renew some prescription, among a bunch of other shit. It's stuff I heard about a lot, but couldn't relate to at all cause I just don't get it; even when I was under in/outpatient care and befriended a few nutters.

>15% of cases of depression are from excessive reuptake of serotonin

What's the best thing to take if you're not in that 15% then??'

Any good natural supplements that actually work also?

better drugs could probably be made from substances currently prohibited

specially for antidepressants

TAKE TRYPTOPHAN SUPPLEMENTS INSTEAD

(don't take tryptophan supplements while taking SSRI's or soon after stopping them because that could cause serotonin syndrome which is dangerous)

Tryptophan supplements cause a prolonged increase in the amount of tryptophan in the brain that can be made into serotonin which allows your brain to make increased amounts of serotonin on it's own or to recover from low levels. This is more effective then fucking with your re-uptake receptors and has no side effects.

Tryptophan used to be the standard treatment for depression and mood issues in the 50's and 60's but one company fucking up their manufacturing which led to their tryptophan containing harmful bacteria which led to all tryptophan in the US being withdrawn. In an amazing (((coincidence))) the very first SSRI ever came onto the market the very day tryptophan was withdrawn. By the time it was figured out properly-made tryptophan was safe and that the manufacturer was at fault SSRIs were standard treatment and tryptophan was forgotten.

>lifted four times a week, ate a clean diet, got /fit/
>still depressed, anxious
>quit drinking alcohol, using tobacco
>took up running daily, getting ~30 mins of sunlight

Don't think walks are gonna help senpai. I don't see another option besides treatment. I've tried every conventional method for easing depression

You guys are really paranoid. They were supposed to be prescribed to people with severe depression because its commonly thought that depression is as a result of a chronic decrease in neurotransmitters in the brain.

These drugs work well for treating chronic depression and other mental illnesses. The real problem is that most physicians are prescribing these drugs to people who simply do not need them. They are handing them out like candy.

The reasons for this are many. Most people are drug seeking in nature. They seek out what makes them feel good and usually consume them in excess like food, alcohol, marijuana or prescription drugs. If one physician doesn't give them the prescription they want, then they will shop around untill they find one who will. Most physicians know this and simply cave into the pressure and have the "fuck it, I might aswell make money instead of some other guy" attitude.

If you have a legitimate mental illness, please keep taking your meds. If you are just a little sad, stressed out or anxious then please find better ways to cope before messing with your brain chemistry.

Learning an instrument and going for daily walks in the park helped me a lot, of course I still feel like shit a lot of the times but it's getting slowly better.

It's a long fight to overcome it.

are you getting laid? if not, you're supposed to be depressed.

Effexor gave me ED for awhile. Now I'm able to vigorously use my onahole for long periods of time before cumming.

Also recommend CBT.

Lower your dosage, or take a half of a pill. DO NOT try and go cold turkey with them.

Zoloft made me a fatass. I was only on the stuff for 2 years, but I went from a skinny kid with incredibly picky eating habits who only wanted to drink water, to a bitchtits lardball who would inhale anything and everything in sight. I still have to watch my weight to this day. The damage is irreversible.

>>Complete placebo effect
>>Doesn't change your attitude at all
My mother made me take them without me knowing when I was younger.
I thought I was going crazy, but it was just the zoloft influencing my behavior.

What you are saying is false.

>11% of all Americans use anti-depressives
wtf?

But did it get rid of your depression?

It's pretty well known they have side effects. Like troubles orgasming happens in like 80% of cases. But that isn't exactly getting rid of depression.

women

>complete placebo
>unbearable withdrawal

It's crazy to think about it, but many people get put on it just because they act "weird" (like a normal child) in Highschool. Same with Aderall.

>scientificamerican.com/article/the-rise-of-all-purpose-antidepressants/

>As the third most frequently taken medication in the U.S., researchers estimate that 8 to 10 percent of the population is taking an antidepressant.

There are several causes based on the chemical imbalance hypothesis. For low serotonin related depression there is 1) lack of total serotonin via lack a in body synthesis which is treatable with over the counter 5-htp. 2) excessive reuptake, treatable with SSRIs, and tricyclic antidepressants. 3) excessive break down of serotonin, treatable with MAOIs. Inflammation of has been shown to cause depression,teartable with anti inflammatory drugs. Low levels of dopamine have been show to cause depression treatable with NDRIs, DRIs, and DRAs. St john's wort a herbal supplement increases serotinin dopamine and acts as an anti inflammatory, but is not good for major depression. There are many more, but these are the simplest mechanisms.

did lexapro permanently make me not like sex or am i just depressed

srs thing i wonder a lot

Well one of the two are wrong then, still even 8% is a lot let alone 10%/11%

see

ST john's wort

How much truth is in this.
Never mind getting laid, I've never been in an intimate relationship.
Never mind romantic relationships, even my family are emotionally distant.

St. John's Wort is a meme. It's entirely ineffective.

sex is a human biological need. not getting it will no doubt have a wide range of psychological consequences

Jewish poison. My degenerate parents took my to multiple kikes to "fix" me. They don't even know how they work. SSRI stands for "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor" like nigga what the fuck is "selective" about my brain?

Isn't fapping basically the same thing, at least to your brain?

>shitbait

imbecile

friends and family are the reason im depressed

might as well call these things fat pills

same, Zoloft gets shit done, but the side effects and the withdrawal effects are shit. Once the problem is over you'll want to stop taking, once yo stop taking you'll get the symptons back.

maybe consider funding the mental health system and you wont have so many mall and school shootings.

>america #1 in shit

They saved my life years ago quite literally. Used right they're a great tool.

I am sorry your life sucks so much.

no, wouldn't it be great though? the biochemical reaction is very different

A few years ago I was on prozac. I couldn't get erections anymore when I was on it. I was 25, unable to get an erection because of this shit like someone that was 60.

Never again. The side effects are real.

It's the same mechanism but the response and stimulus from sex is far greater than just masturbation. That's why you ejaculate more and orgasm harder when having sex.

Prozac sent me to the hospital when I was a wee lad.
If you're depressed about your life taking action to make it better will do a lot more than a pill that will fuck your brain up.

It's not the ejaculation and orgasm that I mean is different.

The chemicals and hormones produced by the body after masturbation are different from those produced after sex.

post your crazy pills pol